Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can't wait for the 4 hour Alan Smithee version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Danger posted:

Definitely not his best. Blade runner was far and away better.

Lol part of the reason I was surprised it was as good as it was is that the second half of BR2047 is a complete mess, though I guess this being a direct adaptation that wouldn't be as much of an issue

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

wasn't the Harkonnen mentat super horny for Jessica in the book? did he come to the same smoking eye sockets fate? I thought I remembered him hanging around a bit longer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Roommate knows sign language and says whatever sign language they’re using in the movie is not ASL

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Steve Yun posted:

Can't wait for the 4 hour Alan Smithee version

I would have made it 5

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Brando Harkonnen

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Danger posted:

Definitely not his best. Blade runner was far and away better. Makes me wonder how much he owes to Deakins, his absence here was very apparent.

This is what I felt walking away. It's still a really good movie, but Blade Runner was always going to be impossible to top.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chadzok posted:

wasn't the Harkonnen mentat super horny for Jessica in the book? did he come to the same smoking eye sockets fate? I thought I remembered him hanging around a bit longer

Yes and yes. Piter was very horny for Jessica, and there was a fair bit of back and forth between him and the Baron about Jessica's eventual fate. In the end the Baron basically forced him to give up on Jessica to demonstrate his power over Piter. Piter also did die during the Leto/Yueh poison attack on the Baron in the book.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Sardaukar throat singing was rad as poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

When they cut open the door is that a different thing from a lasgun

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah one more thing that was not cool:
that one wire-fu jump that Duncan does

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just finished it. That was really loving good, drat. Wish I could watch 10 more hours of it right now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
ZSJL: Ancient Lamentation Music

Dune: Dramatic Lamentation Music

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 22, 2021

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

When they cut open the door is that a different thing from a lasgun

Totally a lasgun, looks very similar to the one the spaceship was trying to snipe Duncan with.

Which was one thing I wish was mentioned, the mutually-assured-destruction of lasguns hitting shields. Especially in exactly that moment, Duncan should have been like "are you guys nuts?". It's a minor nitpick but they did so well showing how shields are worked around in every other instance, a bit odd they didn't mention this other key mechanic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Orthanc6 posted:

Totally a lasgun, looks very similar to the one the spaceship was trying to snipe Duncan with.

Which was one thing I wish was mentioned, the mutually-assured-destruction of lasguns hitting shields. Especially in exactly that moment, Duncan should have been like "are you guys nuts?". It's a minor nitpick but they did so well showing how shields are worked around in every other instance, a bit odd they didn't mention this other key mechanic.

Yeah that was like the biggest world building thing I remembered from the book and would explain away the “heh why not use it all the time?”

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The United States posted:

ZSJL: Ancient Lamentation Music

Dune: Dramatic Lamentation Music

More like Angry Lamentation Music

Though the movie could have been hilarious if they'd used it like Wonder Woman's theme and it played every time Paul so much as looked at the camera.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Would this movie be okay for a 12 year old

12 is old enough to consume any media content

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Film was very good

That’s about it

Things I liked
Making it clear the Fremen religion was planted

This one was huge for me. Critical. This was a very important part of the book that did not even get mentioned in the Lynch movie. The Dune universe is our universe. It's pure science, not mysticism, but in the Lynch movie Paul's power was derived entirely from magic. I always just assumed this was because the movie was made in the early 80's and audiences were clamoring for more Star Wars style fantasy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Gorson posted:

This one was huge for me. Critical. This was a very important part of the book that did not even get mentioned in the Lynch movie. The Dune universe is our universe. It's pure science, not mysticism, but in the Lynch movie Paul's power was derived entirely from magic. I always just assumed this was because the movie was made in the early 80's and audiences were clamoring for more Star Wars style fantasy.

That's not very accurate at all. Paul quite literally accesses race memory to see humanity's desires on a genetic level to predict the jihad. The mysticism is race mysticism and the science is race science. In other words, a lot of bullshit. It's just all interpretable as metaphor for more grounded things, especially in the first book.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the 1960s there was a lot of interest in finding a scientific basis for psychic powers.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

That's not very accurate at all. Paul quite literally accesses race memory to see humanity's desires on a genetic level to predict the jihad. The mysticism is race mysticism and the science is race science. In other words, a lot of bullshit. It's just all interpretable as metaphor for more grounded things, especially in the first book.

I'm not really sure what you mean. There is a scientific explanation to it all, it might seem like magic but it isn't. Humanity has been developing the power of the mind through genetic manipulation, training, and repetition for 10000 years to make such a thing possible. Is any of this possible in our reality? Probably not but the lore behind the book is all science. They're not praying to god and then god grants them abilities.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
If Paul isn't magic how can he, a scrawny kid with no real life fighting experience, overcome a seasoned veteran at the end?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rabelais D posted:

If Paul isn't magic how can he, a scrawny kid with no real life fighting experience, overcome a seasoned veteran at the end?

Through the power of believing in yourself

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rabelais D posted:

Mind over matter, which is the driving force that keeps humanity alive in the book.

This movie doesn't touch on the Butlerian Jihad which is a disappointment. I think it's important to understanding how and why the characters can have so much power, and also why humans are not allowed to operate computers, and the purpose of the Mentats. The book makes it quite clear that the distinction between what is and isn't AI is starting to blur again ("new machines, better than the ones on Richess").

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Gorson posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean. There is a scientific explanation to it all, it might seem like magic but it isn't. Humanity has been developing the power of the mind through genetic manipulation, training, and repetition for 10000 years to make such a thing possible. Is any of this possible in our reality? Probably not but the lore behind the book is all science. They're not praying to god and then god grants them abilities.

This is science in the sense that The Force is science, because "midichlorians" or whatever.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
They changed the harvester scene so that the carryall comes but fails to lift. I guess they wanted to make the work spent on the CGI animation worth it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is science in the sense that The Force is science, because "midichlorians" or whatever.

Oh yeah, I totally get that. Star Wars tried (briefly) to explain away the force and that failed miserably because it has no place in a space opera fantasy. But there was no book before Star Wars Episode IV that explicitly explained all this long before the movie came out. It doesn't matter if you believe if accessing race memory or whatever are possible in our reality through science, they probably aren't. But the book goes through great lengths to make it clear that none if the abilities of the characters were given to them by a god. Their abilities developed because they were forced to develop them.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Gorson posted:

This movie doesn't touch on the Butlerian Jihad which is a disappointment. I think it's important to understanding how and why the characters can have so much power, and also why humans are not allowed to operate computers, and the purpose of the Mentats.

The book barely explains what the Butlerian Jihad actually was.

quote:

The book makes it quite clear that the distinction between what is and isn't AI is starting to blur again ("new machines, better than the ones on Richess").

That's not in the book. It's from the 1984 movie.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The book barely explains what the Butlerian Jihad actually was.

It explains it enough to know that AI is forbidden and humans were forced to develop their minds.

"Right out of the Butlerian Jihad and the Orange Catholic Bible," she said. "But what the O.C. Bible should've said is: 'Thou shalt not make a machine to counterfeit a human mind.' Have you studied the Mentat in your service?"

Pedro De Heredia posted:

That's not in the book. It's from the 1984 movie.

Yeah you're right there I'm mixing up my media. I believe more of what is going on in IX and Richese is expanded upon in the other books?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I have become Roman :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3PzTl9REo&t=49s

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Steve Yun posted:

I love the Daft Punk Crew but is that a loving Chambord bottle

Isn't that a navigator to the right though?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
For me personally the Butlerian Jihad just raises more questions than it answers.

The main question being: "if you've made your vast galactic empire reliant on a single substance produced on a single planet, not because it's an absolute necessity but because you're philosophically against other options, how are you still alive?!?"

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Trump posted:

Isn't that a navigator to the right though?

The dialog specifically states (when Leto asks Thufir the cost) that it took them 3 Guild Navigators to get there and there are 4-5 of the people in the spice-tank suits. So they're probably members of the guild who have not reached the stage where they can bend space.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Gorson posted:

The dialog specifically states (when Leto asks Thufir the cost) that it took them 3 Guild Navigators to get there and there are 4-5 of the people in the spice-tank suits. So they're probably members of the guild who have not reached the stage where they can bend space.

Temps in case of a no-show imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Could be a guild member becoming a navigator but navigators have to stay in giant tanks all the time.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Yeah I want part 2 part 3 and part 4 as well
Need to see how Chalamet and Momoa handle Dune Messiah content

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Did I see this wrong, or are the Heighliners in this movie just big tubes that open a tunnel between two points in space? IE you just fly through them, you never dock like in the Lynch film. Styling them after sand worms was interesting too.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
well

non spoiler thoughts: insanely good with a few issues, his favorite film of mine, in a weird way it felt kind of halfway between Arrival and BR

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

josh brolin surprised me, he was the third most interesting person in the movie, sucked that he disappeared

kid who played Paul was PERFECT. none of the trailers or still photos capture just how good he is at emitting powerful Schizo Jesus Energy. i can absolutely see this dude walking into the desert and becoming a god emperor.

i mean, everyone was perfectly cast, really. literally everyone. Stilgar was amazing and holy poo poo, i didn't even know that was Javier Bardem until literally just this second lmao. i knew he seemed familiar.

i'm just sitting here like "yeah i think i'm just gonna go see it again today"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It was good. The pacing was a bit slow for the sake of world building, but if they tried to include everything that was left out it would have either been four hours long or a frenetic mess. The music also overwhelmed the speech sometimes. Other then that I thought as an adaptation it worked pretty well.

I can kind of accept the laser use even though they don't bring up the interaction with shields. Duncan is probably the biggest badass in the galaxy so they may have figured a suicide attack would be worth it overall if they could off him quickly, even though it didn't work. So "don't shoot lasers at shields" could still get brought up in part 2.

david_a posted:

Did I see this wrong, or are the Heighliners in this movie just big tubes that open a tunnel between two points in space? IE you just fly through them, you never dock like in the Lynch film. Styling them after sand worms was interesting too.

That's what it looked like to me too. In one shot you can see the limb of a planet through the tube but you don't see the rest of the planet behind the Heighliner. No need for space travel shots if the entirety of the trip is the Guild blipping a wormhole into existence for you.