Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I noticed that there was a contortionist vampire in the cult that was the guy that played Pretzel Jack in Dream Door.

Also I love there was a random nosferatu looking dude I really want to know what he was up to before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The scene in the car between Nandor and Guillermo was incredibly well acted.

Also, where is Guillermo getting money for that kind of car? Is he siphoning Vampiric Council funds? Money feels like something they don’t pay attention to, once they’ve got the fees.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

The_Doctor posted:

The scene in the car between Nandor and Guillermo was incredibly well acted.

Also, where is Guillermo getting money for that kind of car? Is he siphoning Vampiric Council funds? Money feels like something they don’t pay attention to, once they’ve got the fees.

I’m assuming he’s looting bodies and committing credit card fraud with what he finds in their wallets.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheMopeSquad posted:

I noticed that there was a contortionist vampire in the cult that was the guy that played Pretzel Jack in Dream Door.

Also I love there was a random nosferatu looking dude I really want to know what he was up to before this.

What We Do in The Shadows seems to operate on Vampire the Masquerade rule where some vampire look like normal humans and others look like nosferatus and that's just the way it is.

Side note: The way Nosferatus look in the Vampire the Masquerade video game seemed to vary wildly and in ways that seemed incredibly unfair to me. Some of the Nosferatus are buff cool looking monster guys and girls who just happen to be bald with pointy ears, and others look like they're melting and covered in tumors.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Side note: The way Nosferatus look in the Vampire the Masquerade video game seemed to vary wildly and in ways that seemed incredibly unfair to me. Some of the Nosferatus are buff cool looking monster guys and girls who just happen to be bald with pointy ears, and others look like they're melting and covered in tumors.

Being a Nosferatu in the *oD games is all about things being incredibly unfair. So you're quite correct!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Being a Nosferatu in the *oD games is all about things being incredibly unfair. So you're quite correct!

That's a good point, the fact that there are some Nosferatu where the condition manifests as "That doesn't seem so bad, if you wore a wig to cover your pointy ears and bald head you'd just look like a human with a mild skin condition and could probably walk around in public without anyone batting an eye" or "You look downright badass! You could be the lead singer in a death metal band!" and other Nosferatu where it manifests as "Oh my GOD what the gently caress!? Did you just get hit by a car?!" or "You're covered in open sores!!! How are you even alive?!" really does make an already unfair deal even more unfair and cruel.

Some Nosferatu get hosed over more than others and there's no rhythm or reason as to who gets screwed over the most.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That's a good point, the fact that there are some Nosferatu where the condition manifests as "That doesn't seem so bad, if you wore a wig to cover your pointy ears and bald head you'd just look like a human with a mild skin condition and could probably walk around in public without anyone batting an eye" or "You look downright badass! You could be the lead singer in a death metal band!" and other Nosferatu where it manifests as "Oh my GOD what the gently caress!? Did you just get hit by a car?!" or "You're covered in open sores!!! How are you even alive?!" really does make an already unfair deal even more unfair and cruel.

Some Nosferatu get hosed over more than others and there's no rhythm or reason as to who gets screwed over the most.

The pro move is to look hideous but constantly use obfuscate to appear normal until you need it for shock value.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What We Do in The Shadows seems to operate on Vampire the Masquerade rule where some vampire look like normal humans and others look like nosferatus and that's just the way it is.

For the most part it seems to be based on age, where the older a vampire is the more demonic they look.

Which I like because it implies that Nosferatu looking dude was probably thousands of years old and fell in for this water drinking cult.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
God pure water vomit is amazing if you've ever had the dry heaves. If I was running a vampire cult I could do it no problem

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

For the most part it seems to be based on age, where the older a vampire is the more demonic they look.

Which I like because it implies that Nosferatu looking dude was probably thousands of years old and fell in for this water drinking cult.

In the movie the oldest vampire who was living in the basement was nosferatu looking. Which implies that there was some sort of evolution where vampires got more and more humanoid looking.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Compare them to the Sire who basically looked like a gargoyle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pure water vomit is the gargoyle lifestyle.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just found this thread so I can mention how much I love Nadja's weird little sing-songs

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Most of this episode actually really landed for me, just something really charming about the whole Cult thing and how Nandor was enjoying himself that was at least amusing the entire time. I think watching vampires try and relearn how to be human very mechanically presses the right buttons for me. It helps that the whole episode reminded me how absurdly hot Kayvan Novak is.

The best line was Jan instructing the women vampires how to respond with "Strained Eyes, Big Smiles."

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Bonaventure posted:

while i don't doubt the writers are aware of and taking inspiration from the internet trend, energy / psychic / spiritual vampires have been a literary device since at least the mid-1800s and particularly played a role in various occult beliefs (e.g. theosophy) in the late 19th and early 20th centuries

cf https://victorianist.wordpress.com/2018/11/12/psychic-vampires-occultism-in-the-nineteenth-century/

Huh, fair enough, I had no idea the concept had that much history.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started this show the other day and Colin Robinson is just wonderful every time he pops up.

I've been less a fan of some of his shock/gross drains in this season, like him farting on Nandor's stuff or bringing up Guillermo's poop bucket over and over.

Being outright disgusting just seems too easy.

I think it's a lot funnier and more relatable when he just seems like a well-meaning but really boring guy that people are too polite to interrupt or walk away from.

"Why are you dressed like a playmobil figure?" Might be my favorite line of the season though.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Avasculous posted:

Huh, fair enough, I had no idea the concept had that much history.

I've been less a fan of some of his shock/gross drains in this season, like him farting on Nandor's stuff or bringing up Guillermo's poop bucket over and over.

Being outright disgusting just seems too easy.

I think it's a lot funnier and more relatable when he just seems like a well-meaning but really boring guy that people are too polite to interrupt or walk away from.

"Why are you dressed like a playmobil figure?" Might be my favorite line of the season though.

I think Colin Robinson has to up his game with his roommates since they know his tricks. He should just get a job as a ride-share driver. That’s where the human misery is at.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think Colin Robinson has to up his game with his roommates since they know his tricks. He should just get a job as a ride-share driver. That’s where the human misery is at.

Oh my god, I’ve definitely had energy vampires as Uber drivers. One in Berlin who took me to the airport talked the entire time in (I think) Turkish, and had a whole conversation with me even though I clearly said I was English. What he talked about, I have no clue, but it was draining because it was 5am and I just wanted to ride in peace.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7020447314716249349

I'm not art stupid but I had no idea that was a real painting they photoshopped.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's a neat gallery here that runs through the paintings that they used as the base for the art in the opening credits.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerusalem posted:

There's a neat gallery here that runs through the paintings that they used as the base for the art in the opening credits.

They're way off on the probably source for this one:

There's lots of 1920s photos of people wearing bat costumes that look really similar to that, and even some silent films:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It does look like outside of (most) of the art they're guessing for a bunch of the 20th Century stuff, especially since a lot of that stuff seems to be more generalized themes than specific images.

drat that is so cool, what's the actual film?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Lazlo swallowing a harmonica is so looney tunes I love it so much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerusalem posted:

It does look like outside of (most) of the art they're guessing for a bunch of the 20th Century stuff, especially since a lot of that stuff seems to be more generalized themes than specific images.

Les Vampires, dir. Louis Feuillade, 1915. Skip to 36:15 for that specific scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GascCxtP-o

It's a serialized film in 10 parts so settle in if you're planning on watching the entire thing, it's over 7 hours long. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a serialized film in 10 parts so settle in if you're planning on watching the entire thing, it's over 7 hours long. :v:

Holy poo poo, well there's a treat to indulge over the coming weeks, thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're way off on the probably source for this one:

I love this outfit, it is so cute.

Also I was thinking about the show this morning and how funny it was that for the series they moved it to America but then cast a bunch of not-Americans for the main cast anyway.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

It would be a ton of work, but I would love to see them do this for the whole show.

The photo montage of naval Laszlo photoshopped him into this painting:
https://www.pilotonline.com/history/photogallery_c04b45cc-a08e-11e8-a93f-a33f08d1a13a.html

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

muscles like this! posted:

I love this outfit, it is so cute.

Also I was thinking about the show this morning and how funny it was that for the series they moved it to America but then cast a bunch of not-Americans for the main cast anyway.

Americans don't want to watch Americans anyway

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The escape from the wellness center alone made last week the best episode of the season

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Americans don't want to watchcast Americans anyway

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Started season 3. This feels like a different writing staff. All the characters kind of feel off. Colin Robinson the most so with the first couple where he feels like he's being actively malicious rather than just banal.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jerusalem posted:

Les Vampires (1915), which is not actually a vampire movie but about a crime ring.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started season 3. This feels like a different writing staff. All the characters kind of feel off. Colin Robinson the most so with the first couple where he feels like he's being actively malicious rather than just banal.

That's because it is! I feel the same way, but generally just didn't want to dump on the thread which seems to be enjoying it still. To me, this season is far more wacky and less witty and a few of the characters don't feel like they made a natural progression from the end of s2. Guillermo as a vampire bodyguard seemed like a good idea, but we just get goofy Guillermo as the mastermind of the house. That seems unearned and a bit of a jump from the subserviently meak Guillermo that was coming into his own as a badass vampire hunter in the finale for s2. He went from an awesome vampire hunter that was unsure of himself to the god king of the idiot vampires. It's a bit of a leap.

The other characters have their issues too. Colin stands out to me the most. He no longer tries to drain and annoy in the same way he did before. They really have no idea what to do with the energy vampire that they created, and also he's apparently incredibly stupid this season. He played dumb in the past to annoy (knowing winks and nods to the camera in s1 and 2) and now he's just dumb. It reminds me of when I saw Mike Reiss talk about the evolution of Homer Simpson. I'm paraphrasing here but he said something along the lines of "when we created Homer he was about as dumb as your own dad. Now's he's about as dumb as your shoe." I liked it better when the show and jokes were a bit more clever.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 21, 2021

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Marsupial Ape posted:

I guess you all aren't a true crime/cult weirdo like me. The point of the cult is the cult. Jan got to be the absolute leader of a bunch of losers. This was very loving Jamestown.

Delightful episode.

You must be right because nobody's bantered you for saying Jamestown lol

Not sure why Nandor's haircut bugged me as much as it does, but I really enjoyed him getting to act alongside Cree this ep since they both are tremendous voice actors

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Idk if it's my speakers or the sound mixing but I can't understand anything Nadja says this season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Donal Logue!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was so dark and I laughed so drat hard at the last thing that happened in this episode.

Also I'm so confused by how Blade works in this universe.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Exasperated Nandor is my favourite, holy poo poo I fuckin died

Well that was quite the sendoff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khandi Alexander does not age, holy poo poo.

Guillermo showing up with "nuggies and spaghetti with butter" was a beautiful moment.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
TBH I'll be pretty happy to see the back of that character. This season hasn't been good for them, and it feels like the show could do with a shakeup anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

priznat posted:

Well that was quite the sendoff

...Is that really the end of him? He was like, the best character on the show.