Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

waffle iron posted:

Found some good ferry fuckling

https://youtu.be/YIgRLzJ_mCE

Lmao glad they got the bomb squad on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even as a non-shipfuckler this was very confusing until I read the description and it told me that while the video was from the barge the audio was from the big ship.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nwWZVwM7zU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Kibayasu posted:

Even as a non-shipfuckler this was very confusing until I read the description and it told me that while the video was from the barge the audio was from the big ship.

Also worth nothing that blame was assigned to the pilot of the other ship. however, credit was given for their communication efforts between ships.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://i.imgur.com/TfudpE8.mp4

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Fuckin boss

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
His balls must clank loudly as he walks.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Best snakeunfuckler ever...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Alec Baldwin just killed a director of photography on-set:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/us/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-movie.html

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 22, 2021

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
liz lemon tugs her collar, raises her eyebrow, exits the room in search of cheese

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Phanatic posted:

Alec Baldwin just killed a director of photography on-set:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/us/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-movie.html

Can we get a body copy? That poo poo's nuts and behind a pay wall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Non-paywalled article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/alec-baldwin-rust-movie-incident-1235035095/

Looks like they were filming a scene involving firing a prop gun and it somehow fired for real and injured two people, one fatally

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here’s another: https://deadline.com/2021/10/alec-baldwin-movie-fatal-shooting-director-crew-member-dead-rust-1234860500/

quote:

The castmember, now identified as Baldwin, was unaware of the type of ammunition in the gun, we’re told.

??? I mean, I would hope he didn’t know there was live ammunition in it, but why the gently caress was there live ammunition in it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Here’s another: https://deadline.com/2021/10/alec-baldwin-movie-fatal-shooting-director-crew-member-dead-rust-1234860500/

??? I mean, I would hope he didn’t know there was live ammunition in it, but why the gently caress was there live ammunition in it?

The NYT piece mentions Brandon Lee's death where a projectile had lodged in the barrel and a firing a blank dislodged it. I guess there's also blanks that are dangerous up close. Two people were hit, maybe both were behind the camera in a close up take?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I guess there's also blanks that are dangerous up close.

All blanks are dangerous up close, they still produce a blast of hot gas and whatever weak material holds the powder in the cartridge that can cause serious injuries if all of it hits a human before dissipating. There's at least one actor who died from putting a gun to his head and firing a blank.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Two people were hit, maybe both were behind the camera in a close up take?

It was the director and DP who got hit, so that's possible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Brandon Lee was killed by a similar accident, where someone made dud rounds by taking all the gunpowder out of regular bullets and leaving just the primer. (I guess that's what you want for a close-up shot of someone loading bullets into their gun? Because the bullets will visually look right but you don't have a loaded gun on set). One of these got "fired", which pushed the bullet into the barrel but not all the way through. The gun wasn't checked again before filming a scene with real blanks (which have a decent sized load of gunpowder to make a convincing bang, but no bullet), and the combination of blank round + a bullet already in the barrel behaves a lot like a regular round.

You'd think prop armorers would have learned to pay more attention to that exact situation (switching from dud rounds to blanks) after that though, there's going to be a lot of scrutiny on whoever was in charge of that for this production.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

All blanks are dangerous up close, they still produce a blast of hot gas and whatever weak material holds the powder in the cartridge that can cause serious injuries if all of it hits a human before dissipating. There's at least one actor who died from putting a gun to his head and firing a blank.

Yeah, the cartridge gasses punched out a nice, neat hole the size of the barrel in his skull which was then driven into his brain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Makes you wonder why they don't have better prop guns and/or ammo. You don't need to make a big bang, you can make a big Hollywood muzzle flash in all kinds of safe ways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's on it's way, but I don't think it's fully there yet.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ola posted:

Makes you wonder why they don't have better prop guns and/or ammo. You don't need to make a big bang, you can make a big Hollywood muzzle flash in all kinds of safe ways.

charlie chaplin, sitting on a train, about to knock a rail tie out of the way with a second rail tie: what's "safe"?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can do muzzle flashes just with VFX, and you often do the sound in post anyway so that the gunshot volume doesn't swamp everything else you want people to hear.

Getting good-looking recoil without something in the gun exploding with enough force to push the gun around? Good luck with that.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I think it was an Indy production so maybe they didn't have the budget to do muzzle flashes in post or the director wanted to get it all in camera or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a cowboy film, right?

They wanted big clouds from black powder, and that’s more involved to fake than a muzzle flash.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jabor posted:

You can do muzzle flashes just with VFX, and you often do the sound in post anyway so that the gunshot volume doesn't swamp everything else you want people to hear.

Getting good-looking recoil without something in the gun exploding with enough force to push the gun around? Good luck with that.

Looks like Rust is a western so a revolver in this case.

With semi-autos, you could probably make a solenoid drive the slide to replicate recoil. You'd have to stuff the batteries in the magazine and do some machining to make it all fit, but isn't that exactly what prop departments are supposed to do? Shell casings flying off can be added in post production with the rest of the effects.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

With semi-autos, you could probably make a solenoid drive the slide to replicate recoil. You'd have to stuff the batteries in the magazine and do some machining to make it all fit, but isn't that exactly what prop departments are supposed to do? Shell casings flying off can be added in post production with the rest of the effects.

just use the Time Crisis 2 guns ffs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It’s a cowboy film, right?

They wanted big clouds from black powder, and that’s more involved to fake than a muzzle flash.

No matter how they want to make it look, for such a huge industry it's odd that they don't have better props. Perhaps guns are such a big deal, they want real guns even if everything else is fake?

A charge of compressed air and some fine inert powder can make a nice puff and be safer, if not perfectly harmless in all situations.

I don't think this particular movie production should have engineered them of course.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/tTK8hZt.mp4

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Ola posted:

No matter how they want to make it look, for such a huge industry it's odd that they don't have better props. Perhaps guns are such a big deal, they want real guns even if everything else is fake?

A charge of compressed air and some fine inert powder can make a nice puff and be safer, if not perfectly harmless in all situations.

I don't think this particular movie production should have engineered them of course.

Yeah, but fake guns are expensive though.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2472161/why-lord-of-war-starring-nicolas-cage-bought-3000-real-guns-instead-of-props

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Squib/flashbulb guns already exist, there's a prop company called Independent Studio Services that makes "Non Guns" (along with providing real/blank firing guns and other props ranging from fake soda brands to fake server racks) that are used mainly for scenes where a real gun loaded with blanks wouldn't be safe, or in situations where the studio doesn't have permits or is operating under sound restrictions or whatever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Studio_Services
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Non_Guns

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah it's pretty confusing at first. Hard to understand how it happened without footage from huge ship. The video makes it look very avoidable.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mechanically operating a slide without firing a bullet doesn't look the same. It ends up looking off. A gun recoils back because it's the result of a reaction from expelling an object very fast, if no mass leaves the gun and the piston is actuated by a solenoid or piston then there is nothing the gun is recoiling against and it doesn't look the same.

let me try to explain better:

When a normal semi auto pistol recoils the slide goes back first, the slide hits the end of it's travel, then the mass of the slide cause the frame and the gun to rotate back carried by the mass of the slide which is an equal an opposite reaction to the bullet leaving the gun. If the recoil actuated by an internal force in the gun itself instead of the bullet mass leaving then the the slide and the frame are pushing in opposite directions immediately, making it do a strange looking thing where the the front of the gun dips momentarily while the slide is still going back, then the slide hits it's rear stops and the motion then cancels out instead of the slide making the gun rotate backwards. This is because the piston can't just move the slide back, newtons laws don't work that way. The piston or actuator would be pulling the frame and the shooters hand forward with the same amount of force the slide is pushed back with. It looks strange and not like an actual gun recoiling.

Squib guns work okay but they actually shoot a projectile, and they recoil a lot less.

These are easy to spot and look bad if they are fired and the camera can see them with any detail. They don't have any major moving parts so the barrel will make a bang sound and have a little smoke while the slide doesn't move at all.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 22, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Would regular people notice the difference though?

*Edit* I get that the director would want as much realism as possible, just seems dangerous

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

charlie chaplin, sitting on a train, about to knock a rail tie out of the way with a second rail tie: what's "safe"?

That was Buster Keaton. Most of his stunts would fit this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaApqL4QjH8

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BitBasher posted:

When a normal semi auto pistol recoils the slide goes back first, the slide hits the end of it's travel, then the mass of the slide cause the frame and the gun to rotate back carried by the mass of the slide which is an equal an opposite reaction to the bullet leaving the gun. If the recoil actuated by an internal force in the gun itself instead of the bullet mass leaving then the the slide and the frame are pushing in opposite directions immediately, making it do a strange looking thing where the the front of the gun dips momentarily while the slide is still going back, then the slide hits it's rear stops and the motion then cancels out instead of the slide making the gun rotate backwards. This is because the piston can't just move the slide back, newtons laws don't work that way. The piston or actuator would be pulling the frame and the shooters hand forward with the same amount of force the slide is pushed back with. It looks strange and not like an actual gun recoiling.

When a normal Cameron Diaz sits on a motorbike, it doesn't look like a ragdoll. And yet...

So what if it doesn't look exactly the same? It can be engineered and acted to look close enough and the benefit can be no deaths. There's possibly a huge amount of near misses and unreported injuries as well. Why should guns for some weird reason be ultra-accurately portrayed at the expense of safety when pretty much everything else is faked, half-assed, approximated or made up?

vvv lol

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 22, 2021

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Heh I used to wear that same backpack to school. It was a little too big ofc

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

no no no no no no no no no no no no

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Is that herman munster running that thing?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Check out some early John Woo movies, you can see the actors firing blanks at each other and purposely aiming the guns away from the other actors. It's pretty noticable at times in the ending of The Killers, Chow Yun-Fat is in close shooting several times at someone and you can see him aiming between their legs or off to the side of their head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've used those. Heavy brush will just shrug off a string, so you have to use a blade. Biggest issue is that if you meet any rocks it will fling them at you.