Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

banned from Starbucks posted:

Any safety guy worth a poo poo would have immediately taken it out of his hands after cut was called. You don't just let people wander off to gently caress around with poo poo like that. I'm sure there was prob 3 other non firing versions of that same gun on set he can go play with if needed. What a colossal fuckup this whole thing is.

Basically

Are we sure the accident didn't occur while cameras were rolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Nvm

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

smug n stuff posted:

Nope. We don't know much at all unfortunately

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

smug n stuff posted:

Exactly. The thing that makes the most sense to me is this happening during a 'looking down the barrel' POV shot, hence the cinematographer and the director behind them being the ones hurt.

e: For example, these kinds of shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV7h55ha52E

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 22, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea that false story that came out about Baldwin loving around and jokingly firing the gun is kinda muddying the waters here, we really don't know anything about the circumstances of when/why the gun was fired. But that's really not the important bit anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean if he was producer here and presumably signed off on non-union crew, that's probably worse than actually pulling the trigger.

yeah this is basically a John Landis Twilight Zone situation from the sounds of it

edit: i dunno if this was posted yet but this is what i was going off of

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1451602141018263564

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 22, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s some photo of Baldwin apparently weeping at the scene. It’s taken from the back so you can’t see much. Dude must feel like poo poo. I mean he definitely hosed up at least for not ensuring there was a unionized safety person on set. And I was initially all for heaping on the blame.

But man, maybe we just step back for a sec and wait for the facts to surface. Seems too easy to take a potshot at the guy who pushed the trigger right now.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Genuine question... why does it matter if the dude wasn't unionized? Like, is being a part of a union the only guaranteed way there isn't a fuckup like this? It seems to me if it was truly 100% an accident/act of God/whatever, that it could have happened to anyone regardless of who was involved. I know the union has strict protocols for these kinds of things but I imagine non union gun folks are just as aware of safety protocols.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

yoohoo posted:

Genuine question... why does it matter if the dude wasn't unionized? Like, is being a part of a union the only guaranteed way there isn't a fuckup like this? It seems to me if it was truly 100% an accident/act of God/whatever, that it could have happened to anyone regardless of who was involved. I know the union has strict protocols for these kinds of things but I imagine non union gun folks are just as aware of safety protocols.

It's an industry where all of the qualified, experienced people are in the union. If you're going non-union for a prop master/gun safety person/stunt coordinator then you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for people who are woefully unqualified.

Edit: and there's word out there that the gun had a live round in it, which is an egregious error to make so that's why it leads you to the conclusion that there were unqualified people there. But you're right, if it turns out that it was a freak accident that couldn't have been anticipated then that's a different story.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 22, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

yoohoo posted:

One thing unions are much, much better at than non union work is being hyper aware of safety issues. Assuming the IATSE is telling the truth that there was a live bullet in the gun, the cascade of failures in safety checks that would have had to happen for an actor to be on set holding an actual gun with an actual bullet is loving insane. With union workers they have a bunch of protections against being pressured to work in unsafe environments and failing at safety is the easiest way to get fired if you're union, so that's something they concentrate on quite a bit.

Mea culpa, I'm in a postal worker union and work in a post office, so that's based on that, haven't worked on a film set or been in any sort of film union. And as pure conjecture IATSE emphasizing none of the crew was union when a fatal accident happened on a set while in the middle of trying to negotiate better pay for union IATSE workers might have some sort of self interest involved.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

yoohoo posted:

I know the union has strict protocols for these kinds of things but I imagine non union gun folks are just as aware of safety protocols.

Without a union it's just the honor system.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, when somebody dies, we tend to look at any deviation from the accepted best practices because of the severity of what happened. You want to identify the failure points and try your best to patch it up. Nobody on set should ever die as a result of filming a movie. Could this have happened if they hired a union person? Sure, but that's like saying "hey I could have crashed my car if I wasn't drunk since the roads were icy." Sure, it might be true, but we be foolish to say it wasn't part of the equation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For further examples of this, we only have to go as far back as a few days ago when John Deere tried to break the strike at their plant by filling it with non-union workers - who promptly started crashing tractors, flipping trucks, and generally being a hazard to everyone around them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For further examples of this, we only have to go as far back as a few days ago when John Deere tried to break the strike at their plant by filling it with non-union workers - who promptly started crashing tractors, flipping trucks, and generally being a hazard to everyone around them.

In small defense, they didn't use scabs, they used salaried workers they already had, so management and office people who had no experience whatsoever. I assume the props guy had been a props guy on something else.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

yoohoo posted:

Accidents caused by unskilled negligence are just acceptable losses to the people who make money. Unions protect the laborer from this. American capitalist propaganda made this country forget that and endorses blaming youth/minorities/etc. any chance it gets to obfuscate the issue.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why the gently caress was a live round anywhere near a movie set?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The LA Times got an article out, confirming what Higgins tweet said:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1451634746061168646

CPL593H posted:

According to the article, the phrase "live round" can also refer to blanks.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

CPL593H posted:

efb

The sane thing would be to ban live rounds everywhere in the country, not just movie sets. :eng101:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It might even have been that he just used too powerful of a blank round I assume. They change the strength of the charge depending on the effect they are going for and proximity to other people/camera.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gripweed posted:

If Trump gets reelected at least we'll have the masterful satire of Alec Baldwin on SNL to make us all feel better.

From jail?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've been on a set with live rounds but it was handled entirely by the armorer. Actors weren't even allowed to touch a loaded gun and not allowed to handle the one with dummy rubber shells unsupervised.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The armorer was apparently a liability before the union workers walked. https://twitter.com/whowhatnow56/status/1451608655397224451?t=aZm1gm855Z6X-Htnyozyyg&s=19

Plus, the text doing the rounds from the union worker specifically mentioned poor gun safety as one of the reasons why the union workers walked.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

That EW write up is terrible. He’s telling a story to a bunch of fans a week before the incident took place, but EW writes it up like he’s giving a sworn deposition about how the armorer was working on set. In fact the “punchline” of his story is that she was treating him with kid gloves even though he had lots of experience from his show.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Eggnogium posted:

efb

The sane thing would be to ban live rounds everywhere in the country, not just movie sets. :eng101:

But muh freedoms!

I've been unsure where to stand on the gun issue because I think that people shouldn't be able to buy guns that were designed to fight in wars just for funsies. But then the cops still have them so like, uhhhh. I use to be of the mind that guns should just go away but then people always remind me that people of marginalized groups are under constant danger and frequently need to carry a gun (once again, the cops have assault rifles). But then you have all these yahoos mowing down people left and right anyway. So it's a no-win situation but obviously it needs to start with disarming and demilitarizing the police. Smarter people than me have pondered this so I don't have any good answers but when no other developed country in the world has this poo poo happening constantly it's safe to say the problem is easy access to guns.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The main problem with America is Americans

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I read they're used for loading gun scenes since blanks don't look real.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

True.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I read they're used for loading gun scenes since blanks don't look real.

They have dummy rounds for that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If movie artists can make polystyrene look like any material you can think of, they can drat well make a fake gun look real in any shot the movie calls for ffs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hedrigall posted:

https://youtu.be/u7APmRkatEU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

CPL593H posted:

But muh freedoms!

I've been unsure where to stand on the gun issue because I think that people shouldn't be able to buy guns that were designed to fight in wars just for funsies. But then the cops still have them so like, uhhhh. I use to be of the mind that guns should just go away but then people always remind me that people of marginalized groups are under constant danger and frequently need to carry a gun (once again, the cops have assault rifles). But then you have all these yahoos mowing down people left and right anyway. So it's a no-win situation but obviously it needs to start with disarming and demilitarizing the police. Smarter people than me have pondered this so I don't have any good answers but when no other developed country in the world has this poo poo happening constantly it's safe to say the problem is easy access to guns.

Yes, ban all guns means ban ALL guns.

Vvv E: Also this but if they exist I’d like to read about them

Eggnogium fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 23, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

But muh freedoms!

I do not think there are many instances in America of marginalized groups successfully defending themselves from police violence with guns.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gripweed posted:

I do not think there are many instances in America of marginalized groups successfully defending themselves from police violence with guns.

There was the Battle of Hayes Pond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hayes_Pond

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Gun laws were invented to de-arm the Black Panthers. Guns are also useful in defending yourself from people who aren't cops, but who the cops won't do anything at all to protect you from.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Gun laws were invented to de-arm the Black Panthers. Guns are also useful in defending yourself from people who aren't cops, but who the cops won't do anything at all to protect you from.

Wow shocking that all the other countries with strict gun laws passed them to disarm an American political organization. Guess it is just a coincidence that they have magnitudes less homicides and suicides and mass-shootings are virtually non-existent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Take guns away from cops and give them to service industry workers, bing bang boom problem solved

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Wow shocking that all the other countries with strict gun laws passed them to disarm an American political organization. Guess it is just a coincidence that they have magnitudes less homicides and suicides and mass-shootings are virtually non-existent.

a lot of those are historically racial/cultural monocultures and the ones that aren’t, like Australia and New Zealand, have a shocking history of (arguably ongoing) genocide.

Hell, even the ones that are racial/cultural monocultures (ie Europe) almost all have recent enough histories of genocide if you want to talk about the way that groups like Jews and Roma have been treated. And a lot of them also had brutal colonies deep into the 20th century that they repressed and fought to keep with blood.

Just because they exported all of their racialized violence or finished the worst of it decades/centuries ago while a lot of ours happens on our own soil doesn’t mean that they’ve actually solved anything.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I imagine day to day life in America with trying to avoid getting shot to death in the same way Americans imagine day to day life in Australia where we’re dodging deadly spiders and snakes all day

Both are 100% accurate btw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I absolutely agree we should be disarming America, just start with the cops.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

a lot of those are historically racial/cultural monocultures and the ones that aren’t, like Australia and New Zealand, have a shocking history of (arguably ongoing) genocide.

Hell, even the ones that are racial/cultural monocultures (ie Europe) almost all have recent enough histories of genocide if you want to talk about the way that groups like Jews and Roma have been treated. And a lot of them also had brutal colonies deep into the 20th century that they repressed and fought to keep with blood.

Just because they exported all of their racialized violence or finished the worst of it decades/centuries ago while a lot of ours happens on our own soil doesn’t mean that they’ve actually solved anything.

You're right, letting kids get gunned down by the thousands every year has all been worth it so that America can avoid having a history of racialized genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

You're right, letting kids get gunned down by the thousands every year has all been worth it so that America can avoid having a history of racialized genocide.

that’s not what I’m saying at all