Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Electromax posted:

What was up with the spider creature the rev mother tells to get out? Just a weird flavor addition?

Villaneuve has a thing with spiders. See Enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Blood Boils posted:

Baron and even the Emperor could predict that reaction easily, they have mentat/Benne Gesserit advisors plus Leto's benevolent touch is why the Emperor wants him dead

I don't think the Baron planned it specifically - all the sabotage and traps aren't expected to work, just keep the atreides distracted so they don't consider or properly prepare for a full scale imperial invasion
Yeah, but my point stands that if they planned that exact scenario, they're idiots. That rescue is why Liet comes around on the Atreides, Liet coming around means favorable word of them is spread out to the Fremen, and then when the extermination kicks off it's why Liet puts his/her entire operation and life on the line to rescue Jessica and Paul, and why Stilgar is inclined to give them a chance in the first place instead of murdering them outright, which is Fremen law on what you do with travelers in the deep desert.

Tankbuster posted:

was it really her or was it implied?
Implied, but both me and that other guy came to the same conclusion independently, so... it's definitely implied.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:v:

It's not really implied unless they have a very different definition of doll in the future.

They replaced the Baron's deviancy

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

CapnAndy posted:

Implied, but both me and that other guy came to the same conclusion independently, so... it's definitely implied.

drat, that shrinks the world by a lot.

Anyways, the fight choreography really wasn't the best. The shield thing was neat but thats about it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but my point stands that if they planned that exact scenario, they're idiots. That rescue is why Liet comes around on the Atreides, Liet coming around means favorable word of them is spread out to the Fremen, and then when the extermination kicks off it's why Liet puts his/her entire operation and life on the line to rescue Jessica and Paul, and why Stilgar is inclined to give them a chance in the first place instead of murdering them outright, which is Fremen law on what you do with travelers in the deep desert.

I mean, sure Liet changes her views because of it, but remember that the Harkonnens underestimate the Fremen heavily - so maybe it's dumb from our perspective, but the Harkonnens might think it's smart.

That's why I said I like that it's open to interpretation - it can be used to build on, if they want to.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Can we all agree that this movie was beautiful but the Mini Series is still the best?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Between this and Mad Max: Fury Road, what had the better sandstorm sequence?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Fury Road.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Tankbuster posted:

was it really her or was it implied?

Eh I dunno, implied maybe but it seems like if they were setting it up like that they would mention it explicitly somehow. I just assumed this was to show that the Harkonnen's were into some cruel genetic manipulation stuff.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Gorson posted:

Eh I dunno, implied maybe but it seems like if they were setting it up like that they would mention it explicitly somehow. I just assumed this was to show that the Harkonnen's were into some cruel genetic manipulation stuff.

thats what I assumed too. They already look half ayylmao with their shiny chemotherapy skin. The baron floating up at the end of the scene also helped. I know its one of the more famous aspects of dune but how does it work?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Tankbuster posted:

thats what I assumed too. They already look half ayylmao with their shiny chemotherapy skin. The baron floating up at the end of the scene also helped. I know its one of the more famous aspects of dune but how does it work?

The floating people? I believe the first book calls these "suspensors" and they're basically anti gravity devices that can be attached to anything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, suspensors are like antigravity pods. I think they mention they get used for handtrucks and stuff, possibly for other forms of cargo moving.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

When did they talk about Paul's prophecy being manufactured by the BG in the film? I missed it. I thought the movie was very good! Didn't go enough into just how much of a badass the Duke is and how much people love him. also downplayed the plans within plans within plans elements where everyone is plotting.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was a complete piece of poo poo

:siren: Douchebag alert :siren:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tankbuster posted:

Remember those floating lights that follow people around? Same tech, on a harness.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
My man is so loving fat that he needs antigravity to move.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Steve Yun posted:

Would this movie be okay for a 12 year old

Yeah but they would be bored to poo poo which makes me wonder why they even bothered with the pg13. The Sci-fi Mini series had more sex and violence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

My man is so loving fat that he needs antigravity to move.
Another change I liked in this one is that the Baron didn't actually seem that fat. Like, fat, sure, but I've seen heavier dudes than that walk around. (Every time I look in the mirror dohohohohohoho)

It actually enhanced what a piece of poo poo he is. He could move around on his own, but he's just that lazy and sybaritic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

gohmak posted:

Can we all agree that this movie was beautiful but the Mini Series is still the best?

lmfao no

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

gohmak posted:

I really need to rewatch that. Right now I think Dune (1984) > Dune (2021) for me, but that’s also heavily influenced by the Spice Diver fan cut being my most recent rewatch of the the Lynch movie.

I had a weird thought of someone making an “abomination cut” from the best versions of scenes across all three adaptations :pwn:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Odoyle posted:

Looked like a tunnel to me in this movie. Ships go in one side and come out the other, and when you look through the Arrakis side you can see Salusa Secondus or Caladan or wherever on the other end.

I don't remember this at all? I've skipped through it a few times looking for what you describe and I can't find it. They do very distinctly show the Heighliner in motion and arriving at Caladan which definitely implies the more normal "big transport" interpretation

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

When they cut open the door is that a different thing from a lasgun

I don't know if this is a joke post but:

-Things we have IRL: Stuff to burn through an armored door
-Things we don't have IRL: Laser guns

so the answer is probably yes

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

gohmak posted:

wint: no

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Jessica in this movie always seems anxious. Is she like this in the book?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CapnAndy posted:

Another change I liked in this one is that the Baron didn't actually seem that fat. Like, fat, sure, but I've seen heavier dudes than that walk around. (Every time I look in the mirror dohohohohohoho)

It actually enhanced what a piece of poo poo he is. He could move around on his own, but he's just that lazy and sybaritic.

He looked fat in this distorted and distended kind of way, like it was less the product of his gluttony and more the product of some genetic or biological alteration gone awry. I thought it was great. And I love his long rear end train/robe dangling beneath him.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Kurzon posted:

yes. She's hyper aware of what she's done, what role Paul might have in the future, and what the Atredies taking over Arrakis means. She has the weight of an entire species hanging on the quality of her motherhood. It isn't physically shown in the books -- instead it's a series of thoughts full of self-doubt built around conversations with Yueh, the Duke, Paul, and the Reverend Mother. Thankfully the movie decided to show that and not tell it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I appreciated that the movie shows all the Atreides acting a bit more human. They're stoic, unrelatable weirdos in the book and Herbert relies a little too much on other characters more or less telling the reader that they're good people.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Kurzon posted:

She's a very strong person but is under an incredible amount of pressure. More than Leto or the Baron.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Gorson posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean. There is a scientific explanation to it all, it might seem like magic but it isn't. Humanity has been developing the power of the mind through genetic manipulation, training, and repetition for 10000 years to make such a thing possible. Is any of this possible in our reality? Probably not but the lore behind the book is all science. They're not praying to god and then god grants them abilities.

Oh yeah, it's all space drugs and an outdated scientific speculation about DNA that do the "magic." There's also inspiration from things like yoga and the capabilites demonstrated by keepers of oral histories in powers of the Bene Gesserit and Mentants. It looks at what we might accomplish by studying and advancing the existing knowledge of the natural capabilities of our minds and bodies.

But God isn't showing Paul a vision via revelation or anything. And Leto II claims godhood on the basis of complete and flawless genetic memory and utterly unapposable prescience.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't remember this at all? I've skipped through it a few times looking for what you describe and I can't find it. They do very distinctly show the Heighliner in motion and arriving at Caladan which definitely implies the more normal "big transport" interpretation

I think it was when Duncan and the advance party went through.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

When did they talk about Paul's prophecy being manufactured by the BG in the film? I missed it.

It was part of a conversation that Paul has with Jessica, I believe right after Reverend Mother Poochie flies away

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Gorson posted:

She's a very strong person but is under an incredible amount of pressure. More than Leto or the Baron.

Yeah, she has a much, much better idea how hosed the Atreides are than anyone else around her, though not enough to help solve the problem or probably even talk to Duke Leto about it in terms that would make it worth divulging secrets and risking even more support from her order. So she basically has no one to talk to about it until bad poo poo has gone down and Paul starts to become someone who is more than capable of helping out with the problem.

e: I think the BG's play going in is to spare Paul (as promised to Jessica) and use the fact that he very obviously will not want to be in the Baron's hands and no one else would have a clue how to handle him after they explain why giving him to the Baron would be a bad idea to bring Paul under their influence. In any scenario in which Paul lives, he eats the entire empire alive from a different angle though.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 22, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fart Car '97 posted:

david_a posted:

I think it was when Duncan and the advance party went through.

Actually no, it’s when the Reverend Mother comes down for a chat at 21:20. I found a screen cap of it:

(the blue planet looks kind of squished in the movie too)

I don’t have time to check whether there was an earlier establishing shot of a blue planet that close to Caladan but it seems odd that there would be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FPyat posted:

Between this and Mad Max: Fury Road, what had the better sandstorm sequence?

The sandstorm sequence in Dune, used at least partially, captured footage of air shots of sandstorms in Arizona. I know this because I use to live there and recognized one of the more well known images. :v:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, she has a much, much better idea how hosed the Atreides are, though not enough to help solve the problem or probably even talk to Duke Leto about it in terms that would make it worth divulging secrets and risking even more support from her order. So she basically has no one to talk to about it until bad poo poo has gone down and Paul starts to become someone who is more than capable of helping out with the problem.

I don't feel like the film communicates all this very well. The "show don't tell" that someone mentioned previously ends up just being lots of shots of Jessica bursting into tears and I don't feel like the film gives us much more than "mother worried for her family". It's hard to say though, since I remember enough from the book that I know there's more going on. I'm watching it with a friend tomorrow who hasn't read the book, so I might ask him about this afterwards.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kurzon posted:

i thought that actress seriously did an incredible job, her performance was really raw despite the fact that it's a character that's incredibly interior and not telling us very much about what she knows

someone less good would've made her a steely implacable Game of Thrones type noble

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kurzon posted:

Oh yes. She betrayed her entire order and has pushed all her chips into the center of the table on the bet "my son is the Messiah", she is stressed. Also she can't see the future but she's still a trained Bene Gesserit and Paul's mother so she has some of the gift, so she's aware of how very hosed her entire family is.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

david_a posted:

Actually no, it’s when the Reverend Mother comes down for a chat at 21:20. I found a screen cap of it:

(the blue planet looks kind of squished in the movie too)

I don’t have time to check whether there was an earlier establishing shot of a blue planet that close to Caladan but it seems odd that there would be.

Oh yeah I guess you're right, maybe that is how they interpreted the Heighliners for the movie

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Tarnop posted:

I don't feel like the film communicates all this very well. The "show don't tell" that someone mentioned previously ends up just being lots of shots of Jessica bursting into tears and I don't feel like the film gives us much more than "mother worried for her family". It's hard to say though, since I remember enough from the book that I know there's more going on. I'm watching it with a friend tomorrow who hasn't read the book, so I might ask him about this afterwards.

I'll have to watch it, since I have it now and just haven't sat down with it yet. It's a difficult balance, since the conversations with Reverend Mother Mohiam should establish that she knows they're hosed but it's all BG business and she doesn't know the details. But it's easy to just make her look weak (which your take leans towards a lot), or to make her just look cold and neurotic. Ideal actress in terms of disposition would probably be Tilda Swinton (actually I'd love to see it, she'd have so much fun). She's had so many roles with that "under so much pressure she's keeping it all together through pure willpower" vibe it would be practically playing to type at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CapnAndy posted:

Oh yes. She betrayed her entire order and has pushed all her chips into the center of the table on the bet "my son is the Messiah", she is stressed.

It's worse than that, she gave leto a son because he wanted one and she loved him. The messiah thing is an extremely complicated price she has to pay for that decision.