Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if excelion made the federation force mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The EMMI sections synergize pretty well with the fluid, fast movement and excellent controls and kinda give you a chance to flex your movement mastery muscles

feel like I wound up using the cloak less and less as time went on and just rushing through the EMMI sections

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm calling it now, Exelion Star Corporation is a Shadow Company that some other Chozo were using to supply the Feds with advanced Chozo Tech, for some (possibly nefarious) reason.
That's about the only way I can explain EMMI's being resistant to anything Samus does with her Power Suit, because they knew how to make it resistant to Chozo Weaponry.

I'm 99% sure we see this to be explicitly true in Quiet Robe's exposition - don't we see some chozo standing around an Emmi model with some Exelion logos around?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

tonberi posted:

Heck yeah gg! I have the most fun with 0%, where we’re going we don’t need energy or missiles :q:

what route do you usually take for this? I stayed vanilla for most of it but I went for the early gravity suit and KINDA regretted not having storm missiles for the double chozo robo fight after the screw attack

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
7:50 hard mode 100% run finished. I went early on some stuff but got progression mixed up, so early grapple, early gravity, meant doing experiment fight for early screw. Only having spin jump while having screw ended up soft locking me in a few places until I got around to space jump. Ended up going backwards through a few areas. Actually caused a lot of problems for me progression wise. Got ice missle emmi kill super late and I didn't get an adam talk from it, which I thought you did but I could be misremembering.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Are there any Adam chats that acknowledge sequence breaking, like in fusion?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

CainFortea posted:

Samus was on it.

See, this is why Adam was like "listen Samus I got a crew of dudes here and I know how things go when you're around so lets just turn the varia suit off, alright?"

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I hope Samus is seeing the pattern of defeating evil, but also like.. having an entire planet’s worth of animals annihilated after billions of years of evolution. I wonder if she ever feels bad about this. I guess she kind of did in Super Metroid by the player’s choice by saving them. But it’s really not too many saved up against a planet full of life..

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Doeboy/status/1451575321694818306

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good Sphere posted:

I hope Samus is seeing the pattern of defeating evil, but also like.. having an entire planet’s worth of animals annihilated after billions of years of evolution. I wonder if she ever feels bad about this. I guess she kind of did in Super Metroid by the player’s choice by saving them. But it’s really not too many saved up against a planet full of life..

See also systematically and deliberately driving an entire race to extinction just because one group of fuckheads tried to exploit them one time.

And then trying to absolve her conscience by saving the last one - causing further problems.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In this case, by destroying the planet she saved any surviving life from becoming X hosts. ZDR is hosed the moment they breached containment.

On the topic of "why did the planet blow up?" Well, it did just have a bigass ship crash into it sending massive parts of the chozo infrastructure into meltdown. Since it seems they're tapped into the literal core of the planet, a catastrophic chain reaction isn't crazy at all.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

It turns out making all the Metroids extinct didn't solve the galaxy's problems. Who knew?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Waffle! posted:

It turns out making all the Metroids extinct didn't solve the galaxy's problems. Who knew?

Well yeah, the galaxy was only at peace when the last metroid was in captivity.

This means we must imprison Samus.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Brain didn't get killed by Samus to beat the power bomb EMMI so I guess there was that energy still floating around before the ship crashed too

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dieting Hippo posted:

Only the running melee does damage. Stand-still melee just bops an enemy backwards with no damage.

What the gently caress. I never knew why sometimes my Melee killed those little flying drone things and sometimes it did nothing, I guess I was running some of the times?

Good Sphere posted:

The bosses are for a lot of the part inspired to me, but maybe not for everyone. You may also have way more experience than me in other games that truly have better bosses.

I appreciate what Dread does, and it does a lot of it well (though I have a lot of problems with small poo poo in it, see above), but it's just not what I'm looking for in a Metroid so it's disappointing for me. Maybe a second playthrough and attempts at speedrunning will be more enjoyable. Can't wait to finish the game and start viewing the WR runs, I want to see how much they break this.

EightFlyingCars posted:

dread bosses and souls bosses are too different to compare imho, in souls games a boss is mostly a test of timing while movement and positioning are way more important in dread

I think timing/movement/positioning apply to both types of bosses.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

stev posted:

See also systematically and deliberately driving an entire race to extinction just because one group of fuckheads tried to exploit them one time.

And then trying to absolve her conscience by saving the last one - causing further problems.

I mean, the Prime series makes it very clear it wasn't just one time. Science team doesn't give up that easily!

This is presumably because science team has vapor for brains.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

half the planets she'd blown up had been already hollowed out by an insidious space plague

and the metroids weren't endangered wildlife, they were bioengineered superweapons that ate virtually everything, died to virtually nothing, and bred at a prodigious rate. exterminating them was the right call, and even keeping one on hand for research wasn't that terrible of an idea because no one knew at that point that the space pirates' chief field agent was harder to kill than black mold

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

TheComicFiend posted:

what route do you usually take for this? I stayed vanilla for most of it but I went for the early gravity suit and KINDA regretted not having storm missiles for the double chozo robo fight after the screw attack

I basically follow any% speedrun route but take a few different paths to avoid unskippable items, like taking the bomb track on the way out of dairon to burenia instead of shooting the floor, clip shooting or pseudo waving or whatever you want to call it to get early space jump, or going right out of screw attack and back through grapple to sorta get gravity normally instead of up the slanted drop and through the teleporter to cataris to do the shinespark to early gravity. https://twitch.tv/videos/1183513910 Here's a vod of my current normal pb~

I'm kinda thinking about getting a decent time in a minimalist type of thing without grabbing spin boost or space jump :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

FeyerbrandX posted:

The Brain didn't get killed by Samus to beat the power bomb EMMI so I guess there was that energy still floating around before the ship crashed too

Brains and EMMIs are clearly linked. When she choked out the EMMI it also drained the brain.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mr. Nice! posted:

In this case, by destroying the planet she saved any surviving life from becoming X hosts. ZDR is hosed the moment they breached containment.

On the topic of "why did the planet blow up?" Well, it did just have a bigass ship crash into it sending massive parts of the chozo infrastructure into meltdown. Since it seems they're tapped into the literal core of the planet, a catastrophic chain reaction isn't crazy at all.

It's probably safe to assume Raven Beak was going with the "Nuke it from Orbit" idea after he was done with Samus, and his Ship probably had some planet cracking warheads on it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Followed this for the most part but did early gravity suit (so I had to improvise a bit) and pulled off a run just over 3 hours.

Now to maybe do it on hard.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

Followed this for the most part but did early gravity suit (so I had to improvise a bit) and pulled off a run just over 3 hours.

Glad to hear it helped.

Hard mode isn't that bad really, even when trying to get a sub-4 hour run. If you have a decent grasp on how to fight all the bosses properly then even with double damage they can't do much to you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Glad to hear it helped.

Hard mode isn't that bad really, even when trying to get a sub-4 hour run. If you have a decent grasp on how to fight all the bosses properly then even with double damage they can't do much to you.

Yeah, I should be able to do it - my second playthrough was something like a 5 and 1/2 hour run on hard with most of the big sequence breaks, and it made me love the game more despite my biggest complaint after finishing normal being "that was too hard at parts" lol.

There's a surprisingly decent amount of E tanks along the critical path.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

tonberi posted:

I basically follow any% speedrun route but take a few different paths to avoid unskippable items, like taking the bomb track on the way out of dairon to burenia instead of shooting the floor, clip shooting or pseudo waving or whatever you want to call it to get early space jump, or going right out of screw attack and back through grapple to sorta get gravity normally instead of up the slanted drop and through the teleporter to cataris to do the shinespark to early gravity. https://twitch.tv/videos/1183513910 Here's a vod of my current normal pb~

I'm kinda thinking about getting a decent time in a minimalist type of thing without grabbing spin boost or space jump :v:

hit u with a follow on twitch, hope I can catch a run
I wanna attempt recording a full any% run sometime next week, skipped space jump on the last try but I dunno if it was worth it for the places where I *had* to use infinite bomb jump

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I just followed it exactly tonight, no skips or nothing, on hard. Got a decent 3:05. If I hustled I could probably 100% but maybe not before 4h.

There is one part that it directs past the green teleporter to the left. I just took the bomb right path and went down the same way you'd do gravity sequence break to save oodles of time rather than running through all that fuckin' water.

The gallery image you get for sub4h on hard is loving badass.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Is Dread anyone’s first Metroid game here? Just want to see your perspective. Is it super weird?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I should be able to do it - my second playthrough was something like a 5 and 1/2 hour run on hard with most of the big sequence breaks, and it made me love the game more despite my biggest complaint after finishing normal being "that was too hard at parts" lol.

There's a surprisingly decent amount of E tanks along the critical path.

Yeh it was kinda weird for me to compare my first normal 73% run to my 45% mostly fast just going the vanilla route and stopping for items that were right there - only difference in items was 1 etank, then a bunch of missles and power bombs that made almost zero difference cause I barely even ran out of missles on the last boss on the lower % one. Weird cause Super is the only one I've played a whole bunch and in that going around to item collect made a huge difference in health and DPS pools where in Dread I just felt like I always had plenty of everything.

May be hella skewed tho from all my slow item collect time in SM was when I was a kid and bad, then more recently played it a bunch doing speedrun routes, and I haven't done any skips in Dread yet.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

tonberi posted:

I did it, I did the thing, and then improvised a hopefully helpful "tutorial" for dealing with the last boss, check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztrO1IvOOqk !

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the end cutscene for the boss battle with Raven Beak, Samus rips his mask off for the energy drain by clawing open where she hit him with a missile in the opener. Otherwise it appears as though raven made sure his suit was metroid drain proof. But of course Raven was too hubris to fix his suits mask after the missile hit because of some weird bird pride thing.

Also Even after Samus Energy Drains him and crashes his ship which persumably explodes as per normal in metroid. Raven gets up and looks like he is going to go for another round until the X parasite hits him. I think I actually would have prefered that, Samus versus Raven Beak as the planet is exploding around them rather than just charge up and blast the oozing monster for really a mercy kill at that point

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone else find the EMMIs' beeps/boops reminiscent of Samus Returns/Return of Samus music? Particularly this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tzadS9YEyo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Anyone else find the EMMIs' beeps/boops reminiscent of Samus Returns/Return of Samus music? Particularly this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tzadS9YEyo

that's the exact same synth and i am getting anxiety just from listening to it now oh no

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of music, that's really the only thing i'm down on. The only time i ever even noticed the music consciously was when the Main Theme kicked in, and i couldn't tell you the first thing about any other tracks in the game.
Wasn't a fan of the orchestration for most of the classic musical stings like the pickup fanfare either. They sounded mushy and lacked punch.

Even the Prime series had a few original bangers and some cool interpretations of old classics. Dread is kinda weak on that side.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The EMMIs made a lot of sense to me as they're biological sampling robots, sent on a mission to see if some of the most horrifically dangerous creatures in the galaxy happen to be at large on a planet, and built to survive... well, see like 75% of the enemies of any Metroid game. The blue brain thingies are probably originally meant to process the data they acquire and serve as recharge points for the EMMIs, given they run on the same power source. It's quite possible they aren't necessarily that extraordinary, they're just state-of-the-art and expensive as poo poo. Though then again, wouldn't be surprised if they were based on Chozo tech either- the Chozo actually were in contact with the Federation at some nebulous point iirc, and seem to regularly engage in exchange of technology and culture. (see also Bryyo)

And with the way the games treat the Metroids and the X, keep in mind that thematically they're basically Xenomorphs and The Thing respectively. Metroid has always borrowed pretty heavily from sci-fi horror in general and Alien very much in particular. Ridley also has a lot of Xenomorph influence in his design (see his Smash trailer) and the EMMIs are basically robotic versions.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Downloaded the soundtrack elsewhere to try listening to it in isolation, and honestly while it’s not a high mark of the series, Dread’s tracks are perfectly fine to pretty good. It takes a bit to grab you admittedly, but I don’t think it’s a bad soundtrack at all.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of music, that's really the only thing i'm down on. The only time i ever even noticed the music consciously was when the Main Theme kicked in, and i couldn't tell you the first thing about any other tracks in the game.
Wasn't a fan of the orchestration for most of the classic musical stings like the pickup fanfare either. They sounded mushy and lacked punch.

Even the Prime series had a few original bangers and some cool interpretations of old classics. Dread is kinda weak on that side.

Yes I agree. There was almost nothing memorable in the music in Dread, even though its sound design is top notch. The only exception I have are the EMMI rooms.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For me the music is relying too much on ambience - it needs more melody.

There are exceptions like Burenia's theme which ALMOST hits that Phendrana Drifts-tier mix of ambience and melody , and Golzuna's boss music which sounds like it's straight out of Fusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAwviN2fteI

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
After having played it so much now, what I think strikes me about the lack of oomph in the music is the balance.

I mean sure, the music itself is average in isolation, but there's often so much going on in the foreground with Samus that it takes the back-back seat, and as a result feels less memorable. SM had tracks that almost overpowered the sound FX, up to the beat being reflected in the environment itself (Looking at you, Brinstar). The EMMI music is more memorable because you're often not doing anything else other than pure platforming in those sections, so no enemies (besides the EMMI) to drown out the track. Also it's tuned louder and is reactive, so leaves a harder impression.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Almost done with Metroid Fusion. It's a bit disappointing how linear and limiting it feels, and the actual story beats of Samus and Adams are terrible, but everything SA-X related is dope and it feels great.

However, my thumbs are 30 year old, come on game
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1451930959872397312

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MorningMoon posted:

Almost done with Metroid Fusion. It's a bit disappointing how linear and limiting it feels, and the actual story beats of Samus and Adams are terrible, but everything SA-X related is dope and it feels great.

However, my thumbs are 30 year old, come on game
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1451930959872397312

There’s one notable sequence break but all you get is a secret message from the developers. Other than that, you can collect almost all of the items between when you get the screw attack and when Adam locks you into going to the final boss by using the secret tunnels between the sectors to avoid Nav rooms, which is pretty fun if executed properly and you don’t miss anything on the main deck like I did last run lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

yeah that’s the only big weak point of the game for me. the music is decent but not particularly great or memorable.
I do really like the ambient music of the emmi zones and the tense emmi chase music, it’s especially nerve-wracking when you’re trying to line up the shot to finish them off