Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How did Louisiana Tech end up stranded like this? They were a model G5 program for many years, now they’re getting blackballed from the Sun Belt by the ULs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

He's a man, he's gonna be there 40 seasons

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1451580676189327363

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

dirty shrimp money posted:

I reckon the playoffs looks like -
Georgia
Oklahoma
Alabama
Ohio State

If UGA gets past Florida next week, then their chances of going undefeated in the regular season are like 99%, which is rare air for the program and it'd be intriguing how they'd play the SECCG against Bama knowing the Dawgs were already in the CFP.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

dirty shrimp money posted:

I think a lot of that Tulane game was Oklahoma being their normal shaky self in Week 1. I don't get it. 33-23 happened though so I'll take it!

Since then they've put their biggest liability on the bench and Lincoln Riley is getting really good at adjustments. Caleb Williams looks like he might be one of those players of destiny that come around every now and then. They look really good now. Their two most likely playoff opponents would be whomever gets out of the Big Ten - let's pencil in Ohio State - and Alabama. They'd match decently with Ohio State and I guess Bama is beatable for once.

I reckon the playoffs looks like -
Georgia
Oklahoma
Alabama
Ohio State

This disrespect of the UNDEFEATED Wake Forest Demon Deacons will not stand...

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

General Dog posted:

How did Louisiana Tech end up stranded like this? They were a model G5 program for many years, now they’re getting blackballed from the Sun Belt by the ULs?

Skip Holtz happened.

Also this has to be a kick in the teeth for UTEP, who are having their best season in years and were looking like carving out a little niche.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

Skip Holtz happened.

Also this has to be a kick in the teeth for UTEP, who are having their best season in years and were looking like carving out a little niche.

The new WAC, which has aspirations of re-classifying as FBS, would be a nice home for UTEP and NMSU if that were to happen.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Western Kentucky seems to be getting left out in the cold too with the impending doom of CUSA. Wonder if the Sun Belt would let them back in eventually.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Western Kentucky seems to be getting left out in the cold too with the impending doom of CUSA. Wonder if the Sun Belt would let them back in eventually.

Seems like the MAC would have a place for them and maybe MTSU in the meantime.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Scarf posted:

This disrespect of the UNDEFEATED Wake Forest Demon Deacons will not stand...

The Demon Deacon scheduled a game in February against the playoff champ. It'll take place in a Piggly Wiggly parking lot but they don't know it yet. The Demon Deacon comes for us all.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Didn't even have to have lunch with the Tennessee AD to get his money this time

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A two loss Alabama (assuming they lose to Georgia in the SECCG) should not go to the playoffs. If Cincinnati goes undefeated, it will be such a travesty to see them left out while a 2 loss Alabama gets in.

A Big Ten East might still beat itself up some more and eliminate the conference from playoff consideration, but honestly, the playoffs come down to Penn State @ Ohio State next weekend. I think Ohio State will win, but if Clifford is healthy, the defense is better than anything OSU has seen this year, so anything can happen. I do not see OSU or PSU dropping the Michigan or Michigan State games.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't think it is possible but wouldn't it be funny if northwestern finally beat Harbaugh with this garbage team.

E: lol the line is 23.5

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 22, 2021

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Komet posted:

A two loss Alabama (assuming they lose to Georgia in the SECCG) should not go to the playoffs. If Cincinnati goes undefeated, it will be such a travesty to see them left out while a 2 loss Alabama gets in.

A Big Ten East might still beat itself up some more and eliminate the conference from playoff consideration, but honestly, the playoffs come down to Penn State @ Ohio State next weekend. I think Ohio State will win, but if Clifford is healthy, the defense is better than anything OSU has seen this year, so anything can happen. I do not see OSU or PSU dropping the Michigan or Michigan State games.

I legit think that Cini could hang tough with drat near everyone this year. They are just stacked and exceptionally well coached. The player development over the last 3 or so years there is insane.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1451610401960038417

A ringing endorsement

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I legit think that Cini could hang tough with drat near everyone this year.

It will be good for the sport if they do well in the playoff.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

just lmao if Miami doesn't fire Manny by the end of the year

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1451214799581466626

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

It will be good for the sport if they do well in the playoff.

It’s good for the sport if they make it at all.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Godzilla07 posted:

just lmao if Miami doesn't fire Manny by the end of the year

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1451214799581466626

Okay, let's please write off Diaz as a potential DC replacement for Mullen.

General Dog posted:

It’s good for the sport if they make it at all.

It would be counterproductive if they get in and then lose by 40 to Ohio State. (I don't think this would happen)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Komet posted:

I'm probably as anti G5 in playoffs as anyone here and I agree with this. If GA and Bama both have 1 loss they both go, but 2 losses should cut either compared to an undefeated cincy.

a 1 loss big12 champ vs undefeated cincinatti is imo the more likely debate

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cincinnati is already #2 in the AP Poll, and unless some Big Ten team runs the table I can't see them dropping out of the top 3 without a loss.

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982814

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

Cincinnati is already #2 in the AP Poll, and unless some Big Ten team runs the table I can't see them dropping out of the top 3 without a loss.

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982814

The playoff committee is gonna throw them back to like #10 or something once they start doing their rankings

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/calebjsports/status/1451649009144188944

Harsin's gone

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Harsin is already vaccinated iirc, I think he’s just dragged his feet when it comes to pushing his players to get vaccinated.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

Lol.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

PostNouveau posted:

The playoff committee is gonna throw them back to like #10 or something once they start doing their rankings

Split national champions again!!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

gently caress the Tennessee Vols y’all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They extended Arizona's president inexplicably so I guess the AD who is their friend isn't going anywhere. Which makes it pointless to say, "Hey Fisch just can't do this right now." I dunno, probably best to not start over again anyway.

Maybe the trend of schools moving to D1 continues?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I wonder what brought this along, though I don't follow Alabama politics that closely. I wonder if that is just a university requirement or if it was like the Washington thing where it is state employees.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Weird to think I now live in a state with two Sun Belt teams. UVA will definitely drop their occasional gimme JMU game now that they're FBS (not necessarily a gimme game anyway).

I guess this means there's an open spot for UMass to join the CAA

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I wonder what brought this along, though I don't follow Alabama politics that closely. I wonder if that is just a university requirement or if it was like the Washington thing where it is state employees.

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2021/10/221530-federal-vaccine-order.php

quote:

On September 9, 2021, President Joe Biden signed Executive Order 14042, which has been the focus of guidance from the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force. Through this order and guidance, the federal government is requiring all federal contractors and subcontractors to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for employees, including those who work at a university with federal contracts.

As federal contractors, and like most higher education institutions, the University of Alabama System campuses – including The University of Alabama, the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and the University of Alabama in Huntsville – and Auburn University must comply with the Executive Order and accompanying guidance, unless that Executive Order is withdrawn or modified. Consequently, according to the provisions of the Executive Order at this time, the universities are obligated to ensure that employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by December 8, 2021, unless they have an approved medical, disability, or religious exemption.

Because this vaccination requirement is mandated by the federal government, our institutions do not have flexibility in its application or enforcement. Failure to comply will place our universities in jeopardy of losing hundreds of millions of dollars received through federal contracts and awards, as well as thousands of jobs funded by those dollars. This outcome would severely impact our institutions’ teaching, research and service capabilities and could hamper economic development activity.

Understanding these serious ramifications, the University of Alabama System campuses and Auburn University notified employees today of the vaccination requirement mandated by the federal government. In continued collaboration with educational enterprises across the State, both institutions will closely monitor the Executive Order and guidance.

So this is Biden I guess since those state universities get federal money if I'm reading that correctly?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

gently caress the Tennessee Vols y’all.

That’s a weird thing to say on our off week

No game today no sir

gently caress a Bama

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you can’t win your conference you shouldn’t be in the playoff. You had your chance. Sucks to suck.

The regular season means nothing outside of a few conferences if you can win your conference and have someone chosen over you who didn’t.

You want more parity in college football? Stop letting teams in the playoff if they can’t win their conference. It’d be a marginal change but it’s still a chance in the right direction.

Otherwise call it the University of Alabama playoff and just give them a spot before the season even starts.

The SEC championship game is the most meaningless game of the season because of the current bullshit.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 23, 2021

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
The playoffs aren't looking for four conference champions, they're looking for the four best teams. Your argument is silly. 2016 Ohio State was clearly better than 2016 Penn State, despite their direct loss & PSU's conference championship that year

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
why are people bitching about alabama maybe getting in after not winning the conference? We've been left out previously as a two loss team. Criticize the committee for constantly putting in Notre Dame when they don't have to do anything

edit: or an ohio state team that only won 6 games

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

go cat

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only championship that matters is the Championship of Life.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Omnikin posted:

The playoffs aren't looking for four conference champions, they're looking for the four best teams. Your argument is silly. 2016 Ohio State was clearly better than 2016 Penn State, despite their direct loss & PSU's conference championship that year

A 2 loss Alabama is still better than an undefeated Cincinnati in 999 out of 1000 games.

Who gets in?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Raku posted:

why are people bitching about alabama maybe getting in after not winning the conference? We've been left out previously as a two loss team. Criticize the committee for constantly putting in Notre Dame when they don't have to do anything

edit: or an ohio state team that only won 6 games

:lol:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
All this Alabama cancel culture smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

boop the snoot posted:

A 2 loss Alabama is still better than an undefeated Cincinnati in 999 out of 1000 games.

Who gets in?

Alabama, naturally. Better team by your own metric.