Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of the things with Jessica in the book, that is left out of the movie, but I wish was there was her close relationship with Yueh, and the part where they are settling into life on Arrakis, and she starts to suspect that Yueh is hiding some really horrible secret. Although I like how the movie ends up handling Yueh's betrayal anyways, its very different from the book, and the Lynch version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's worse than that, she gave leto a son because he wanted one and she loved him. The messiah thing is an extremely complicated price she has to pay for that decision.

It's even worse than that still. Doing this meant effectively saying "gently caress you" to her entire order's 10k+ year eugenics program right at the crucial stage of potential completion. Mostly the part where they get control of the result, ie, the most important part.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I said come in! posted:

One of the things with Jessica in the book, that is left out of the movie, but I wish was there was her close relationship with Yueh, and the part where they are settling into life on Arrakis, and she starts to suspect that Yueh is hiding some really horrible secret. Although I like how the movie ends up handling Yueh's betrayal anyways, its very different from the book, and the Lynch version.

Yeah, he was a rather glossed over character. really made me miss Dean Stockwell

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's worse than that, she gave leto a son because he wanted one and she loved him. The messiah thing is an extremely complicated price she has to pay for that decision.
Yeah but now she's all in on it, either Paul is the Messiah or he loving dies. That's not a comfortable position for a mother to be in.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

the sleeper has awakened

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

DOGEsign

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tarnop posted:

I don't feel like the film communicates all this very well. The "show don't tell" that someone mentioned previously ends up just being lots of shots of Jessica bursting into tears and I don't feel like the film gives us much more than "mother worried for her family". It's hard to say though, since I remember enough from the book that I know there's more going on. I'm watching it with a friend tomorrow who hasn't read the book, so I might ask him about this afterwards.

I think it seems like that at first, but the scene with Leto really clarified things to me when he says "I'm not asking the mother, I'm asking the Bene Gesserit." Then when he asks if her order will protect Paul, she doesn't answer, she turns the question back at him. That Leto would ask her in those very clear terms felt like it was something in their relationship they both know but never talk about, and Leto was trying to break the emergency glass.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

the sleeper has awakened

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

shiba hulud

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hodgepodge posted:

I'll have to watch it, since I have it now and just haven't sat down with it yet. It's a difficult balance, since the conversations with Reverend Mother Mohiam should establish that she knows they're hosed but it's all BG business and she doesn't know the details. But it's easy to just make her look weak (which your take leans towards a lot), or to make her just look cold and neurotic. Ideal actress in terms of disposition would probably be Tilda Swinton (actually I'd love to see it, she'd have so much fun). She's had so many roles with that "under so much pressure she's keeping it all together through pure willpower" vibe it would be practically playing to type at this point.

I wouldn't say weak necessarily, and that's much to Rebecca Ferguson's credit as her performance really is excellent. The script just has her burst into tears as many times as it takes for that to be a big thing I remember. I think she does a great job, as someone just mentioned, of indicating that there's more going on under the surface.

It's possible that the second film will reveal more of how much she knew; maybe they didn't want to overwhelm people since there's already a lot going on, or perhaps it was a choice to make Jessica a more sympathetic character with a view to introducing these wrinkles after the audience has decided they like her.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Defiance Industries posted:

I think it seems like that at first, but the scene with Leto really clarified things to me when he says "I'm not asking the mother, I'm asking the Bene Gesserit." Then when he asks if her order will protect Paul, she doesn't answer, she turns the question back at him. That Leto would ask her in those very clear terms felt like it was something in their relationship they both know but never talk about, and Leto was trying to break the emergency glass.

That's a very good point and I'd forgotten that second part. It definitely seems like they both know that Paul might be fending for himself pretty soon, whether orphaned or otherwise separated from his family.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Paul's mom was a fine character. The moment that she is on her own she immediately starts flexing her muscles first by destroying those coomer Harkonnens and then by owning Javier Bardem.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ohhh speaking of Jessica i just remembered an amazing moment

When Paul brings up that he knows Jessica is pregnant, she is utterly shocked like she got caught in a scheme. The implication seemed to be that Paul is accusing his mom of intending to replace him with a daughter so that she can fulfill her job as the grandmother of the Kwisatz Haderach

Is that in the book

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tarnop posted:

I wouldn't say weak necessarily, and that's much to Rebecca Ferguson's credit as her performance really is excellent. The script just has her burst into tears as many times as it takes for that to be a big thing I remember. I think she does a great job, as someone just mentioned, of indicating that there's more going on under the surface.

It's possible that the second film will reveal more of how much she knew; maybe they didn't want to overwhelm people since there's already a lot going on, or perhaps it was a choice to make Jessica a more sympathetic character with a view to introducing these wrinkles after the audience has decided they like her.

I think it's probably the latter. Paul knows his mother as a Bene Gesserit, but he doesn't understand it as a whole aspect of her in the same way his father does, and he might come to realize that in the second movie.

Steve Yun posted:

When Paul brings up that he knows Jessica is pregnant, she is utterly shocked like she got caught in a scheme. The implication seemed to be that Paul is accusing his mom of intending to replace him with a daughter so that she can fulfill her job as the grandmother of the Kwisatz Haderach

Is that in the book

It's in the book but I'm pretty sure it's later in the story, after the attack.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 22, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It was really well presented, like they give you enough pieces of information that when the moment comes, you put 2 and 2 together and realize how Paul feels about it even though he doesn’t say it outright

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't remember this at all? I've skipped through it a few times looking for what you describe and I can't find it. They do very distinctly show the Heighliner in motion and arriving at Caladan which definitely implies the more normal "big transport" interpretation

I just got back from a second theatrical viewing. It's specifically the trip the BG ship takes going to Caladan to have the Gom Jabbar scene. Spaceship enters the Heighliner, the camera tracks it as it flies through the tube, and it pops out on the other side and zooms down to Caladan.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Steve Yun posted:

Is that in the book
It is, but not really with those subtexts, either in the book or movie, I thought. She's shocked because Paul can't possibly know that, she's like one week pregnant and only knows it herself because Bene Gesserit concieve only at will. He's doing his thing of revealing impossible knowledge because he got it from the future, and she's just been smacked directly in the face with the reality of his prescience.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not implied at all that it's her. It's just a weird monster.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The Baron says "join her" to Yueh before he kills him, which would suggest pretty strongly that she's not alive.

Yup

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 22, 2021

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The Baron says "join her" to Yueh before he kills him, which would suggest pretty strongly that she's not alive.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not implied at all that it's her. It's just a weird monster.

i also thought the point of it was just to further reinforce that the harkonnens are sadistic freaks

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I figured that she was killed after Yueh did the betrayal and everyone moved in, but was alive until then. I may be getting influenced by the book, where Yueh is less of a dupe -- he knows exactly what the Harkonnens mean by "we'll free her and let you join her", he just thinks his wife being dead is better than the agony they have her in -- but I think it's still a valid reading, because why would they kill their leverage until Yueh makes good on his promise? What if they kill her and he chickens out, how are they gonna threaten him back into line?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

I figured that she was killed after Yueh did the betrayal and everyone moved in, but was alive until then. I may be getting influenced by the book, where Yueh is less of a dupe -- he knows exactly what the Harkonnens mean by "we'll free her and let you join her", he just thinks his wife being dead is better than the agony they have her in -- but I think it's still a valid reading, because why would they kill their leverage until Yueh makes good on his promise? What if they kill her and he chickens out, how are they gonna threaten him back into line?

Because love makes us stupid.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I thought the baron was saying "join her" as in "nice we get to stitch some more segments onto the spider"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yueh clearly wasn't under any delusions, hence the tooth

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Regarding Jamis, I think Paul hesitated for more than one reason

in his visions Paul saw an alternate future where he was friends with Jamis, so killing him meant that friendship and that branch of time would never happen

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jamis' actor was great, he grabbed his small amount of screen time and squeezes every drop out of it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
No thoughts, head empty, only Arrakis.

Christ I absolutely loved this movie. Oh I'm sure I could nitpick some dumb bullshit if I really wanted to but why bother when there was something so well crafted? People have said it before I think but I haven't felt this way since seeing Fellowship of the Ring for the first time. I'm gonna get an HBO Max sub and watch it again this weekend lmao. I LOVE MOVIES.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just throwing out a bunch of random thoughts today

It really stuck out to me that a lot of the hardware is dressed like modern American military hardware. Duncan’s flight suit looked like something from Top Gun. The ornithopter’s flight meters were white on black similar to modern flight meters. The ornithopter’s exterior design looks a lot like a military helicopter. And beyond that the tarmac scenes gave me major Desert Storm vibes

By contrast the Lynch movie dressed things up like a 1700-1800’s European story

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The scene with the Saurdakar with the throat singer and the blood ritual was the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time.

Like.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Jamis' actor was great, he grabbed his small amount of screen time and squeezes every drop out of it.

Yes.

I was disappointed we didn't spend more time with Thufir and Yueh. I've never seen those actors before but they were
both very charismatic. Jamis, has more time and weight than in the book and the actor took the ball and ran with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Automatic Slim posted:

Yes.

I was disappointed we didn't spend more time with Thufir and Yueh. I've never seen those actors before but they were
both very charismatic. Jamis, has more time and weight than in the book and the actor took the ball and ran with it.

The actor who played Thufir has been in a bunch of stuff but I recognized him as a regular judge on the Law and Orders.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A friend of a friend on Facebook had this response to the movie:

I really have to wonder if he watched a different movie or something

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ah. They’re an idiot.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Your friend is very dumb.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Steve Yun posted:

Just throwing out a bunch of random thoughts today

It really stuck out to me that a lot of the hardware is dressed like modern American military hardware. Duncan’s flight suit looked like something from Top Gun. The ornithopter’s flight meters were white on black similar to modern flight meters. The ornithopter’s exterior design looks a lot like a military helicopter. And beyond that the tarmac scenes gave me major Desert Storm vibes

By contrast the Lynch movie dressed things up like a 1700-1800’s European story

I think maybe the Atreides' army having a more grounded was supposed to contrast with the Harkonnen and Sardaukar being dressed like Stormtroopers. Just my feeling though.

e: JFC "This is a people story but they focused on CGI"

Yeah they're always putting CGI on the screen, remember how Jessica and Paul's tent was full of Gungans who constantly yelled over their conversation?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, that weird undulating cry he does after he realises he's going to lose is still stuck in my head.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

He looked fat in this distorted and distended kind of way, like it was less the product of his gluttony and more the product of some genetic or biological alteration gone awry. I thought it was great. And I love his long rear end train/robe dangling beneath him.

he was deliberately infected with a disfiguring disease by RM Helen Gaius Mohiam. it's explained in one of the prequel books. the Baron was fit before that happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

dreffen posted:

Your friend is very dumb.

Not my friend, I don't even know the guy's name, lol.

Unrelated, I love love loved this movie. Nearly perfect, very hyped for part 2. One small quibble is that I'm a little disappointed they didn't work the "slow blade pierces the shield" thing better into Duncan's fight scenes. For the moments they explain it, it happens, sure, but then in an actual fight they just kinda stab at normal speed. It would have been fun to really see them fully choregraph a fighting style where the killing blow has to be slow.

Although it's also possible they knew that and made the decision to just handwave it because it would have bogged down the fight scenes, which I guess I understand if so.

Spergin Morlock posted:

he was deliberately infected with a disfiguring disease by RM Helen Gaius Mohiam. it's explained in one of the prequel books. the Baron was fit before that happened

Our pet theory is he'll be disfigured and covered in boils in part 2 due to side effects of the poison. But he looked pretty normal in the healing bath so maybe not. Ah well.