Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

slidebite posted:

Another one of those cases where rare=/valuable

Can't be too many of those still on the road, let alone with the original Diesel 350.

The 5.7-liter diesel V8 was rated at 120hp and 220 lb-ft of torque when new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

They never ran so pretty good.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PeterCat posted:

5.7-liter diesel V8

rated at 120hp and 220 lb-ft

Does not compute.

Like :drat:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bajaha posted:

Does not compute.

Like :drat:

That made me go back go see what the Binder is rated for and it's hard to imagine an engine the same size but weaker. drat. I'd like to find a diesel Olds to race against.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

PeterCat posted:

The 5.7-liter diesel V8 was rated at 120hp and 220 lb-ft of torque when new.

Jesus Christ. We used to own a w124 250D, with earth-shattering 95hp and ~120ish lb-ft of torque, and I thought that was hilarious.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Difference is old Benz diesels actually work

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StormDrain posted:

That made me go back go see what the Binder is rated for and it's hard to imagine an engine the same size but weaker. drat. I'd like to find a diesel Olds to race against.

It might be the reference standard for slow. Y'know, like Dimethyl mercury?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
120HP and 220 ft lbs of torque is actually pretty close to what a OM617a makes, so you just gotta slap a turbo or two on that olds diesel and it'll be fine :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
stud them and put a water separator on em. GM was too cheap for either with results we all know.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

When I was in grade school one of my friend’s parents had an Olds diesel. It rarely started in the winter.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

cursedshitbox posted:

stud them and put a water separator on em. GM was too cheap for either with results we all know.

I thought the block would break in half if you tried to feed them too much boost.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

GM eventually did add the water separator and, while not studs, upgraded the head bolts to 1/2”, like, the last year they were made. The damage to reputation had already been done, of course.

chrisgt posted:

I thought the block would break in half if you tried to feed them too much boost.

Too much, maybe, but those blocks are stout. The Olds V8 is already pretty strong, then they added more meat to the mains webs. Olds drag racers love them for boosted gasser applications (they’re easy to convert back to gas.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wcecforsale/permalink/3133207370282502/

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
SHOgun? What SHOgun? I'd like to think that those Festiva's handled better but drat this would be a blast to pull away from people on the highway.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm afraid that deeply, deeply owns.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 18, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, sure, I would totally trust an engine and transmission that had been presumably running upside down.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Powershift posted:

Very ugly LS motor Metro
These two twins in Omaha that own their own repair shop had a Metro with a Northstar drivetrain swapped into the back. Same ends, different means.

Edit: With Onstar or whatever, the engine might have been automatically shut down quickly after the rollover.

My old Mercury Tracer LTS (the car I've most regretted selling) had this inertia switch in the trunk that would shut off the fuel pump in the event of an impact. It shut down on me in the middle of a Rallycross run in a field once.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 18, 2021

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, sure, I would totally trust an engine and transmission that had been presumably running upside down.

Modern cars shut down pretty fast when there's a rollover. It's fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

chrisgt posted:

Yep, most fuel tanks have a rollover valve that stops fuel in the event. It's a safety thing so probably required across the board.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So what's the puddle of fluid then on the road? Spilled soda? Passenger head juice?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KakerMix posted:

So what's the puddle of fluid then on the road? Spilled soda? Passenger head juice?

Likely oil coming out of the engine that was completely upside down until the tow driver put it on it's side in the pic. Almost definitely coolant also.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Probably. I'm just being snarky.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Car has many liquids that will easily leak out, like windshield washer fluid or coolant from overflow reservoir.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/589360998928325/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Piss from the driver.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
For the love of god, someone buy this, slap in a K24

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/d/north-lakewood-1978-ford-fiesta-mk1-old/7391560136.html

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I always thought the Ecoboost 3 banger + 5 speed out of a modern Fiesta would be amazing in one of those.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
This popped up on my feed. It's amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/4552513608120264/?ref=messenger_share&rt=54

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That's a huge tank for what I imagine to be pretty low pressure needed in the bags, guess you rarely need the compressor though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dphi posted:

That's a huge tank for what I imagine to be pretty low pressure needed in the bags, guess you rarely need the compressor though.

Air suspension needs volume, not necessarily high pressure. You can put a cheap and slow pump on there with a low duty cycle if you can buffer enough air in a big enough tank. Also, that looks like "what I happened to have around" kind of build.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Motronic posted:

Air suspension needs volume, not necessarily high pressure. You can put a cheap and slow pump on there with a low duty cycle if you can buffer enough air in a big enough tank. Also, that looks like "what I happened to have around" kind of build.

Yeah, I have bags on my car 🙂. As you add air to the bags the pressure in the tank decreases, and once it drops to a certain point, the compressor is activated. My tank drops about 40psi from air out to air up, if I only had to fill the bags to 10psi or whatever like I imagine that golf cart would run, it would maybe drop the tank 3 or 4 psi. That's kinda what I meant, I understand your point about volume though and agreed on the second point for sure.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hoovie of Hoovie's Garage is selling his cars, ~40 of them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Why bother parting it out?

The ad says Clean title.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

$450K for the Countach

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

$450K for the Countach

Yeah, I think he has the best part of a million dollars just in Lamborghinis

$25K for a Plymouth Gran Fury Police?

$15K for a very nice looking Cadillac Escalade

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Chevy metro is over $18k on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-chevrolet-metro/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What the gently caress is happening to this hell planet anymore.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Expensive gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

You could buy a new Kia Rio for the same money, and while the Metro will edge it out somewhat in fuel economy, the Rio has far more creature comforts, power, a warranty, and somewhat less of a chance of collapsing like a wet Amazon box if a modern car hits it.