Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Went in with basically no preconceptions, I didn't even know it was part 1 of a two parter. I read the book when I was a kid and remember almost nothing.

I really enjoyed it and am psyched that I already agreed to go see it again with another friend next week. The whole experience was awesome. It's great seeing a huge sci fi film that isn't bad star wars sequels or superhero number 4257784 - this by contrast was lovingly made, with a huge amount of care and thought.

That being said it definitely felt like an opening act. And there are such massive questions it opens up about everything - the characters, the setting, the plot - that I will be very very surprised if the second film feels like it actually pays off everything it needs to. Which is fine. I don't need my movies to be perfect to enjoy them.

Neo Rasa posted:

Basically I'm hoping that with this being two movies, I mean I love the new Blade Runner flick but I hope Villeneuve uses all that time to develop these folks more instead of just showing extended establishing shots.
This comment from page 1 of this thread made me chuckle because it basically encapsulates how I feel after my first watch today. My only beef with Villeneuve in his previous films (all of which were also great) is that he has a habit of just going slightly over the line with the number of big slow 'WOOOOOOMMM' establishing shots - for my taste, anyway.
In this film, where it's such an awesome world with a whole host of cool characters we get to meet, it really kind of feels like none of them had time to get fleshed out. The only one who did is Paul... and I can't really tell you what his character is meant to be about. Visions, I guess? And being kind of perfect and wise and stuff. And sort of not accepting the Messiah thing only he doesn't really question it(/his mother) in any meaningful way.
I really hope they make up for some of that in part 2 somehow. It felt like we had a bunch of cool beginners of characters, and then basically all of them died, quite quickly and in a slightly anticlimactic way given how much foreshadowing there was of the massacre.
quote="Philthy" post="518690271"]
Yeah, I really enjoyed that the movie showed different branches of the future he was offered.
[/quote]
This was the only part of the plot that was actually interesting to me. The rest just sort of rolled on with a lot of foreshadowing and predictability. Maybe that's just the book though, i don't remember. The narrative was enjoyable but not particularly engaging; the visuals/production, and some decent (if minimal) performances, did the job of keeping things interesting and entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thufir in particular was cut to the bone. Bautista doesn't get much to do but Rabban was never a big part.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah I wonder if maybe he got downplayed some because then you can avoid a lot of exposition about why Mentats exist and what the Butlerian Jihad was.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

El Grillo posted:

This was the only part of the plot that was actually interesting to me. The rest just sort of rolled on with a lot of foreshadowing and predictability. Maybe that's just the book though, i don't remember. The narrative was enjoyable but not particularly engaging; the visuals/production, and some decent (if minimal) performances, did the job of keeping things interesting and entertaining.

Yeah, this plays more part in the next two books, really. I mean, the entire point of all the books is this ability, and it becomes clear why, and then decisions must be made. But I like that they're showing this now. It opens it up to the next two books. The first three were written at the same time, and then split, so.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can understand withholding navigators for a later movie but

I can’t imagine anyone making a cooler looking navigator than the Lynch Dune.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't think there are any navigators in the first book, at least not like the freaks from Lynch dune

there were a couple of reps on the ground when the Emperor went to Arrakis, but either they weren't full navigators or they were disguised as people

there was a line about one if their eyes popping out which revealed they were disguising themselves but it was unclear to me if they were fully mutated

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm a bit surprised at how much people seem to have liked the visual design for the movie

it's ikea minimalism that reminds me not just of villeneuve's other movies but of the random tom cruise sci-fi joint - oblivion from a while back

the aesthetic blandness of the various groups - atreides, harkonnen, sardaukar, fremen, guild etc. kind of blend together which take away from the feudal feel of the universe

the metallic origami of the bull looks like something that could be sold at a ikea

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 23, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They weren't though? The Atreides had generic stealth lines and facets future stealth tech, but the Harkonnen design was rounded and organic and the Sardaukar fought in formal white uniforms.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Thufir in particular was cut to the bone. Bautista doesn't get much to do but Rabban was never a big part.
I wonder if maybe Feyd-Rautha is going to be folded into Rabban's character. You'd at least introduce the idea of Feyd in this one if you were gonna need him for Part Two, wouldn't you?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed that the movie showed different branches of the future he was offered.

I'm not sure how he would have got to the other branch. Presumably at some point he could have done something to prevent himself getting in a fight with the dude and going with the Fremen peacefully, but of course by the time they're having the fight it's no-yielding victory-or-death time

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CapnAndy posted:

I wonder if maybe Feyd-Rautha is going to be folded into Rabban's character. You'd at least introduce the idea of Feyd in this one if you were gonna need him for Part Two, wouldn't you?

Maybe they want people who haven't read the books to not know the Baron's plan of tricking everyone into loving Feyd, putting them in the shoes of the locals. So when he takes over for Rabban and isn't a screaming lunatic the audience will go "hey maybe this Harkonnen is a good guy!"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CapnAndy posted:

The Reverend Mother mentions “other possibilities” if Paul doesn’t work out, so they did sort of plant the idea of there being a few others on par with Paul.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

I'm not sure how he would have got to the other branch. Presumably at some point he could have done something to prevent himself getting in a fight with the dude and going with the Fremen peacefully, but of course by the time they're having the fight it's no-yielding victory-or-death time

He might have been pulling his punches during the duel, waiting for somebody to step in and stop the fight, waiting for “good” destiny to happen to him.

My guess why this scene is presented the way it is: When nobody stopped the duel, it becomes apparent that any destiny he wants to achieve has to be through his own intervention, and it was now too late for him to do anything to avoid killing Jamis in this path he took. He is also seeing visions of a holocaust happening in his name, so put 2 and 2 together and it means if he wants to avoid that, he needs to act on it directly to stop it. (I haven’t read the later books but I saw in the Scifi Dune that he doesn’t)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 23, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

He might have been pulling his punches during the duel, waiting for somebody to step in and stop the fight, waiting for “good” destiny to happen to him.

My guess why this scene is presented the way it is: When nobody stopped the duel, it becomes apparent that any destiny he wants to achieve has to be through his own intervention, and it was now too late for him to do anything to avoid killing Jamis in this path he took. He is also seeing visions of a holocaust happening in his name, so put 2 and 2 together and it means if he wants to avoid that, he needs to act on it directly to stop it. (I haven’t read the later book but I gather from here and there that he doesn’t)

The galactic holocaust isn't avoidable without Paul dying, which is kind of a theme. Paul knowingly trades the Atreides dynasty and Paul's personal survival for something like 60 billion lives. Adult Paul with more experience of ruling and prescience encounters a similar choice and decides to walk into the desert without a stillsuit rather than go on.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, allowing them to take Jessica's water.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The Imax showing I went to did this weird thing where half the movie was widescreen and then the scenes that were supposed to be particularly awe-inspiring would switch to 4:3. Is this common?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Imax is in 4:3. Or 1.43:1

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 23, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

FPyat posted:

The Imax showing I went to did this weird thing where half the movie was widescreen and then the scenes that were supposed to be particularly awe-inspiring would switch to 4:3. Is this common?

Did the picture grow taller for the 4:3 scenes?

They did that when I saw Dark Knight (The IMAX clips were 4:3)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Arglebargle III posted:

The galactic holocaust isn't avoidable without Paul dying, which is kind of a theme. Paul knowingly trades the Atreides dynasty and Paul's personal survival for something like 60 billion lives.er than go on.

No. It is going to happen anyway. He sees it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arglebargle III posted:

The galactic holocaust isn't avoidable without Paul dying, which is kind of a theme. Paul knowingly trades the Atreides dynasty and Paul's personal survival for something like 60 billion lives. Adult Paul with more experience of ruling and prescience encounters a similar choice and decides to walk into the desert without a stillsuit rather than go on.

Book stuff
Isn't Paul like cannonically a chicken for wussing out of becoming the big worm monster than his son ultimately becomes in his stead? Someone needed to become that to save humanity, but passed the buck to his kid despite knowing full well what was required

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yes, Paul sees what has to be done and decides it's too much.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 23, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've never read the books because I'm not a nerd. Can confirm, this movie good.

Rebecca Ferguson is captivating. The first thing I've seen with her outside of Doctor Sleep, and she is wonderful.

*Also, I just assumed part 2 was in the works. But I guess that hasn't even been guaranteed yet?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 23, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

AnEdgelord posted:

The fremen and their jihad is also pretty consciously based on the Arab conquests which is one of a handful of times in history that defies the "settled societies are better at violence" thing that guy is going for.

I know this is a million pages ago but no it isn't. The Arabs were mostly settled agriculturalists living in the areas around the central Arabian desert. The transhumant "nomads" or bedouins were a small proportion of the population. They had for centuries been living as subjects, allies, trading partners, and otherwise deeply interconnected neighbors of the big northern empires, and served in their armies by the thousands. It was definitely novel for them all (more or less) to unite under a single state, but most were already operating under state level organizations. The bedouins were arguably a series of chiefdoms in a nascent liminal-state period. They were absolutely not supporting their armies with the logistical capacity of a transhumant pastoral society, which i would say is the real reason for the pattern that blog describes. Only agriculture can support the logistics of real, sizable armies, and the lifetime of non-production needed for specialized, professional warriors.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nitrousoxide posted:

Book stuff
Isn't Paul like cannonically a chicken for wussing out of becoming the big worm monster than his son ultimately becomes in his stead? Someone needed to become that to save humanity, but passed the buck to his kid despite knowing full well what was required

That's certainly true as of God Emperor, but that's almost certainly a retcon. There isn't anything in Dune or Messiah to suggest anything like it. (Frankly, it comes out of left field in Children, too.)
tl;dr: canon is fake

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Cool movie, story would feel incomplete though if they never make a follow up.

Apparently I've been pronouncing a lot of this stuff incorrectly

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CapnAndy posted:

rabban's gonna split apart like the lady in total recall and out of a cloud of hissing steam will walk... naked sting

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

My guess why this scene is presented the way it is: When nobody stopped the duel, it becomes apparent that any destiny he wants to achieve has to be through his own intervention, and it was now too late for him to do anything to avoid killing Jamis in this path he took. He is also seeing visions of a holocaust happening in his name, so put 2 and 2 together and it means if he wants to avoid that, he needs to act on it directly to stop it. (I haven’t read the later books but I saw in the Scifi Dune that he doesn’t)

You could look at the vision a different way

In the vision he says that Jamis would teach him the ways of the Desert.

And he does, in a way that Paul will never forget.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Defiance Industries posted:

Yes, Paul sees what has to be done and decides it's too much.
Yeah, that. He's not chickening out, him and Leto both look at the same problem and same solution, and come to different conclusions on if the cost is too high.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I legit loved the art design, you could call it “IKEA” I guess but I liked how boxy and chunky everything was. The textures go well with the largely monochromatic photography (which is something I dislike in Villeneue’s work generally but it works about as well here as it could.)

My major complaint is just, well, they tried really hard to give this an ending in itself while still making it clear this is part one, but nah it still feels abrupt. Not as abrupt as, say, Bakshi’s Lord of the Rings but still, it’s just an incomplete story and there’s no getting around that.

Okay that and I feel somehow the siege of Arrakeen shoulda been better? Like there’s some cool parts but this is the big devastating scene where the bad guys slaughter everyone and it hits kinda soft. Honestly I think Zimmer fell short here, the scene’s got a lot of emotional beats and you can’t just have the same drone going through all of it.

I did like seeing the ecological station and spending a bit more time with Liet Keynes. Javier Bardem playing Stilgar as having no time for anyone’s poo poo was a pretty great choice. Yueh and Hawat do kinda get short shrift and there are signs that even with the story split up the studio was pressing for cuts- nothing as egregious as in Lynch’s film but there are some weird cuts here and there.

These are scattered thoughts, overall I liked it.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 23, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Clown posted:

I still think “Har-KOHN-ens” sounds better.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Herbert was pretty open about "proper" pronunciation, apparently. He was okay with readers deciding what ever.
That dictionary in the back of Dune didn't come with a pronunciation guide.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still think “Har-KOHN-ens” sounds better.

:same:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Watched it tonight, real good honestly I was shocked that they managed to explain things so well.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the sardaukar weren't disguised as harkonnen which is another interesting change from the book

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

shrike82 posted:

the sardaukar weren't disguised as harkonnen which is another interesting change from the book

That's a great point actually.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I saw it at a really low quality theater where the image looked like there was someone vaping in the projectionist booth for the entire thing.

Still a gorgeous experience with good scoring. The audio mixing on the dialog was way too quiet for anything whispered though. Makes me want part 2.

The one of the group who had no knowledge of dune thought it was really poor and a waste of a night of just setup but said it did at least make him want to see part 2 for closure.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

The one of the group who had no knowledge of dune thought it was really poor and a waste of a night of just setup but said it did at least make him want to see part 2 for closure.

This dude rocks

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The mark of how good this movie was is how it made me think back and appreciate and reimagine the book itself (which is already one of my favorite books ever). It definitely makes it feel even more grand. The Fall of House Atreides is so much more everything than I ever imagined reading it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

shrike82 posted:

I was wondering about that as well. I guess they're relying on the premise that Harkonnens are just killing everyone so there are no witnesses, which lets them have the Sardaukar in their cool suits.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The throatsinging Sardaukar basecamp sequence has buried into my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tankbuster posted:

The throatsinging Sardaukar basecamp sequence has buried into my brain.

It's the best scene in the movie. There are A LOT of scenes of dudes standing in squares in landing fields and that one crushed it.