Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I work in an outta the way pot shop that doesn’t get much traffic, with business even slower because of the time of year I have tons of downtime. Now instead of spending this downtime cleaning, doing inventory or any of the tasks Im supposed to do I read books. I am currently reading Slaughterhouse Five and not really liking it, Vonnegut is kinda boring :(

Seeing as allot of you goons seem well read and way chiller than the actual book forum Imma ask for some recommendations. Some books I’ve read recently that i like were Discworld Seawolf by Jack London and Blood Meridian. also you can just shitpost in this thread and not recommend anything, thats cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

player piano is boring af but slaughterhouse 5 owns and is one of the few books ive read multiple times. but im pretty stupid and dont read a whole lot anymore but right now im trying to finish ministry for the future and the butt ends a slog. i think in the end they defeat the fossil fuels so thats pretty neat.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i really like the works of David Mitchell, especially Ghostwritten and number9dream, Cloud Atlas is pretty good too and Black Swan Green is also pretty good idk if he has written anything else because i dont pay attention to anything

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Reading is the best thing you can do.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Reading is the only way you can learn

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
If someone tells you reading is stupid, Kick them in the face

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Reading is the only way you can learn

thats not true i learn far better from listening to lectures

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I liked Cats Cradle a lot more OP

Try Bukowski next

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Reading is the best thing you can do.

:siren: nerd alert :siren:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Well, if you liked Blood Meridian, but not Slaughterhouse Five, it's not gonna be the unconventional narrative that throws you. What did you like about Blood Meridian and The Sea Wolf?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Sid Vicious posted:

thats not true i learn far better from listening to lectures

He's right. Did you know that? There are different paths to learning.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

yeah I'm a loving nerd. you got a problem with that?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Dune
Rise and Fall of the third Reich by Speer
War and Peace

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Spinz posted:

Dune
Rise and Fall of the third Reich by Speer
War and Peace

good and important books about spice

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like non-fiction!

The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia- On the American Exodus to Russia following the Great Depression.

Isaac's Storm- The 1901 destruction of Galveston, TX via hurricane.

Disney War- On the Eisner era of Disney.

The Poisoner's Handbook- About the legitimization of forensic toxicology in the early 20th century, largely on the work of Charles Norris and Alexander Gettler.

Stealing Lincoln's Body- Dudes loving tried to steal and ransom Abraham Lincoln's body.

The Gift of Fear- Technically a self-help book, but moreso breaking down the psychology and innate logic behind intuition.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

player piano is boring af but slaughterhouse 5 owns and is one of the few books ive read multiple times. but im pretty stupid and dont read a whole lot anymore but right now im trying to finish ministry for the future and the butt ends a slog. i think in the end they defeat the fossil fuels so thats pretty neat.

Player piano is really good, idiot

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

last book I read was Gideon the Ninth. It was pretty good, with necromancers in space and poo poo.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Haunted Vagina is about a guy who gets trapped in his girlfriend's haunted vagina, which turns out to be a gateway to another world.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Illuminatus Trilogy

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anything with a mind-reading telepatch who is dead but not in this time line and really has a thing about vampires.

But it has to have a spooky cover.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Steinbeck is the best OP.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

read A Terrible Mistake by H. P. Albarelli, it's the size of a large encyclopedia and at the start you're like, "eh, fuckin conspiracy theory book," and by the end you're balls-deep in what is probably the most highly-sourced historiographical document about MKULTRA that will ever be written

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Red Harvest is a short and easy read, and it's considered a seminal classic in the noir/American crime genre. If you've ever watched Yojimbo or A Fistful of Dollars, you might recognize some of the plot beats.

Weka posted:

Steinbeck is the best OP.

also this

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

gleebster posted:

Well, if you liked Blood Meridian, but not Slaughterhouse Five, it's not gonna be the unconventional narrative that throws you. What did you like about Blood Meridian and The Sea Wolf?

I liked tThe Judge’s rants in Blood Meridian and i liked the debates with the captain in The Sea Wolf

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Try The Brothers Karamazov. Or Point Counter Point. Or anything by Thomas Mann.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A Confederacy Of Dunces, if you haven't read it yet.

Anything by Michael Moorcock.

Autobiographies of actors, musos, comedians etc. you like.

The Communist Manifesto.

The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel.

Any of Malachi Martin's books about his experiences as an exorcist.

Everything Lovecraft ever wrote (ignoring the v. racist sh1te he occasionally wrote as a kid).

Shakespeare and James Joyce, so you can brag about reading them other than as a class requirement.

Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions collections (short stories by various authors).

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Anything Shirley Jackson wrote is a good bet. Good for this time of year, too. Her most famous works are Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle and those are both great, but for some reason it's her novel The Sundial that's stuck with me the longest.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nabokov's Pale Fire and Lolita

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Blackass by A. Igoni Barrett. A down on his luck Nigerian wakes up one day to find he has somehow transformed into a white man except his rear end cheeks are still black. It’s a pretty light hearted look at race relations in Nigeria.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

runnypoops posted:

I work in an outta the way pot shop that doesn’t get much traffic, with business even slower because of the time of year I have tons of downtime. Now instead of spending this downtime cleaning, doing inventory or any of the tasks Im supposed to do I read books. I am currently reading Slaughterhouse Five and not really liking it, Vonnegut is kinda boring :(

Seeing as allot of you goons seem well read and way chiller than the actual book forum Imma ask for some recommendations. Some books I’ve read recently that i like were Discworld Seawolf by Jack London and Blood Meridian. also you can just shitpost in this thread and not recommend anything, thats cool too.

I love Vonnegut but I would never suggest starting with Slaughterhouse Five, that's him at his Vonnegutiest.
Try Mother Night (! definitely especially read this regardless), Galapagos, Sirens of Titan, Cat's Cradle, and then Slaughterhouse Five.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is an awesome fantasy series.

Also, the OG Dracula is supremely good.

\/ Command and Control was great. Very scary for a non-fiction...

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

The OSHA thread constantly recommended Command And Control, when I caved in and read it J was gripped. So that's a suggestion.

Earthsea is a classic fantasy novel with a setting/culture that's more than just LOTR clone. I wouldn't bother with anything past the third book unless you really liked the series.

If you're willing to read Vonnegut you'd probably would at least try JG Ballard, Empire of the Sun is fascinating in my opinion. High-rise got made into a pretty decent film.

If you are like me to and have a taste for generic, unending fantasy bullshit: The Belgrade will keep you busy with volume after volume of competently written material that just barely changes things each time that it's not exactly the same story each time but drat close.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
get a Philosophy degree and then u dont have to read anymore cuz you basically got it covered

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

CheeseThief posted:

The OSHA thread constantly recommended Command And Control, when I caved in and read it J was gripped. So that's a suggestion.

Earthsea is a classic fantasy novel with a setting/culture that's more than just LOTR clone. I wouldn't bother with anything past the third book unless you really liked the series.

If you're willing to read Vonnegut you'd probably would at least try JG Ballard, Empire of the Sun is fascinating in my opinion. High-rise got made into a pretty decent film.

If you are like me to and have a taste for generic, unending fantasy bullshit: The Belgrade will keep you busy with volume after volume of competently written material that just barely changes things each time that it's not exactly the same story each time but drat close.

yeah but dont buy the Belgariad new, David Eddings and his wife adopted children and the. locked them in cages and abused them for years, gently caress him

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

20 Blunts posted:

get a Philosophy degree and then u dont have to read anymore cuz you basically got it covered

True, you can just spend that time tugging insted

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sid Vicious posted:

yeah but dont buy the Belgariad new, David Eddings and his wife adopted children and the. locked them in cages and abused them for years, gently caress him
Wow I did not know that. I loved those books back in the 90s.

They're both dead and according to this any money from sales will go to Reed College in Portland though.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Oh my loving god, we gotta reopen the book barn for the list I've got.

Slaughterhouse 5.
Just read that, then go home, eat some shrooms and watch Breakfast of Champions

e: Oh wait, this is a better suggestion

20 Blunts posted:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

True, you can just spend that time tugging insted

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
non fiction: anything by erik larson or jon krakauer
fantasy: anything by carol berg, octavia butler, ursula k leguin, patricia mckillip
fiction: dan simmons is pretty good, frankenstein by mary shelley
pretentious option: inferno/purgatorio/paradiso by dante

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I love reading, OP

right now I'm doing Wheel of Time finally, halfway through book 3. It's actually better than I expected but soooooooooooo long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I like Tom Robbins a lot, he writes fast moving surrealist comedy stuff. I've got two of his books at least, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates. Good reads for passing the time imo