Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I saw Dune yesterday and enjoyed it, even if it is a movie you should read the plot summary on wikipedia before hand. Bit slow for the first bit, but once the invasion happens, everything picks up

How many other books/games/movies have the protag's mom as a key party member on the journey. They usually get killed off pretty quick.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My friend told me that the in universe reason was that shooting lasers at a shield would cause nuclear explosions or something, but I think he was just loving with me

this explains why in the far future, everybody hacks at each other with machetes instead of laser swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Saw this the other day, general feeling afterwards is that it is well made, but falls pretty flat.

The Lynch version is superior if you can get past the dated sfx because it ends up being more memorable since its style lends the setting a more visually interesting and alien feeling. This new version seems to have made the modern movie mistake of making everything more detailed and "realistic" and the end result is it all feels kinda bland. Its a very beige movie.

This isnt helped by the fact that as a reboot its forced to cover a lot of ground that we've seen before in the original so its sort of dull when the only plot surprises are what has been changed from the previous versions.

Everything about it is competent. Nothing is outright wrong, I'll watch a part two. Hopefully part two is just a bit...more going on dramatically/visually/etc.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
It seems to have pulled in $17.500.000 on Friday, which is pretty meh. Even doing bonkers on Saturday and Sunday it will struggle to break $60 mil over the weekend. Let's hope the VOD numbers are good and it has staying power

Trump fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 23, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Trump posted:

It seems to have pulled in $17.500.000 on Friday, which is pretty meh. Even doing bonkers on Saturday and Sunday it will struggle to break $60 over the weekend. Let's hope the VOD numbers are good and it has staying power

jeez i think it almost broke $60 just from me and my friends seeing it. seems like an extreme lowball

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

fart simpson posted:

jeez i think it almost broke $60 just from me and my friends seeing it. seems like an extreme lowball

Wise rear end. (I fixed it :lovebird: )

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

100% this.

I'm sure a lot of the B-roll has already been shot for the sequel
To add to this, Denis Villeneuve has already made Warner Bros quite a chunk of change from Blade Runner 2049s box office and physical media release - so he's got a store of good-will worked up, in so far as the C-level execs who only care about money knows that he's proven he's capable of delivering.

If Dune II doesn't get made, it's because someone decided to kill the project outright.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Been a while since I've read the book, but was there an explanation of why the Emperor couldn't just greenlight a Harkonen invasion of Caladan instead of loving up spice production for however long with the pointless transfer?

The only thing I can think of is blaming lowered output of spice on Leto and using that as a pretext for wiping them out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Trump posted:

It seems to have pulled in $17.500.000 on Friday, which is pretty meh. Even doing bonkers on Saturday and Sunday it will struggle to break $60 mil over the weekend. Let's hope the VOD numbers are good and it has staying power
The budget was 165$ million and its already made $134,251,980 - and that's with several international markets not mentioned.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 23, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

Been a while since I've read the book, but was there an explanation of why the Emperor couldn't just greenlight a Harkonen invasion of Caladan instead of loving up spice production for however long with the pointless transfer?

The only thing I can think of is blaming lowered output of spice on Leto and using that as a pretext for wiping them out.

Per Liet-Kynes, the Emperor was jealous of the house Atreides and wanted them gone. Giving them a generous gift only for them to lose it and go extinct due to subsequent infighting among the houses give him plausible deniability. That's why Paul is all hot to get the story out to the Landsraad, the other houses could band together against the emperor once they realize that he might decide to come gunning for them individually next.

Also he probably made a bunch of money off the Harkonnens in the process.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 23, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ego-bot posted:

In the feudal-inspired system that exists in-universe, there's no outright warfare - instead there's the war of assassins as the only permitted form of warfare under The Great Convention.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Sedgr posted:

Saw this the other day, general feeling afterwards is that it is well made, but falls pretty flat.

The Lynch version is superior if you can get past the dated sfx because it ends up being more memorable since its style lends the setting a more visually interesting and alien feeling. This new version seems to have made the modern movie mistake of making everything more detailed and "realistic" and the end result is it all feels kinda bland. Its a very beige movie.

This isnt helped by the fact that as a reboot its forced to cover a lot of ground that we've seen before in the original so its sort of dull when the only plot surprises are what has been changed from the previous versions.

Everything about it is competent. Nothing is outright wrong, I'll watch a part two. Hopefully part two is just a bit...more going on dramatically/visually/etc.

After watching some clips of Lynch’s dune, I think I’m inclined to agree about the aesthetic. Look at the set and costume design in this scene, there’s nothing like it in the new version, in my opinion!

https://youtu.be/AGqdE1NdMTg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The budget was 165$ million and its already made $134,251,980 - and that's with several international markets not mentioned.

Wouldnt it have to recoup probably another $100m on top of the filming budget to account for marketing and Hollywood accounting wizardry? It's possible that was scaled back in COVID time but it still seems like a pretty visible release and the payola must flow

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

$60 million is still a baaaad opening and the domestic market is also still by far the market where the studio gets the biggest percentage return from theaters.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wouldnt it have to recoup probably another $100m on top of the filming budget to account for marketing and Hollywood accounting wizardry? It's possible that was scaled back in COVID time but it still seems like a pretty visible release and the payola must flow
That I don't know - but the numbers cited on that website are purely first-day box-offices, so the actual number is likely to be somewhat bigger.
It's still one of the best first-day box offices we've seen in COVID-19 times, so I don't think the studios are too unhappy.

Trump posted:

$60 million is still a baaaad opening
By what measure?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a fragile system in place where the noble houses have enough power that if some of them got together they could coup the emperor. House Atreides is powerful and popular, so if the emperor was seen to have a hand in wiping them out he'd have a dangerous amount of people mad at him. If he looks like he gave them Dune and the Harkonnens attacked out of grievance then everyone is just mad at the Harkonnens

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

That I don't know - but the numbers cited on that website are purely first-day box-offices, so the actual number is likely to be somewhat bigger.
It's still one of the best first-day box offices we've seen in COVID-19 times, so I don't think the studios are too unhappy.

By what measure?

What do you mean by "purely first-day"? Friday is statistically the biggest day during weekend openings.

I'll admit, It's been a while since I followed BO reports and I kind of forget half the USA is still living under the plague. But the $60 million dollar estimate is mine, and it's very generous.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

just an anecdote here, but i saw approximately 6x the people in the theater to see dune today than i did seeing any of the star wars sequels here in china. and star wars was heavily advertised here, dune wasnt. seems like good news to me

Legendary Pictures plus a few lines of token Mandarin and Chinese audiences lose their minds

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I read the book when I was in 9th grade and watched the Lynch movie right after that, so it's probably been 25+ years since I've read any of the source material. I have a few questions:

Are the Bene Gessert similar to Handmaids from a Handmaids Tale? It seems like all the BG's that we met are concubines, and Leto even tells Jessica "I wish I had married you.", if Leto and Jessica aren't married, where is Leto's wife?

I think this was hinted at, but want to make sure I understand, the BG on Arrakis are the ones that planted the seeds of "Lisan Al-Galib" regarding Paul right?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

frogbs posted:

After watching some clips of Lynch’s dune, I think I’m inclined to agree about the aesthetic. Look at the set and costume design in this scene, there’s nothing like it in the new version, in my opinion!

One Perfect Shot

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I read the book when I was in 9th grade and watched the Lynch movie right after that, so it's probably been 25+ years since I've read any of the source material. I have a few questions:

Are the Bene Gessert similar to Handmaids from a Handmaids Tale? It seems like all the BG's that we met are concubines, and Leto even tells Jessica "I wish I had married you.", if Leto and Jessica aren't married, where is Leto's wife?

I think this was hinted at, but want to make sure I understand, the BG on Arrakis are the ones that planted the seeds of "Lisan Al-Galib" regarding Paul right?

Leto in the book wanted to be single in case someone offered a marriage alliance with their daughter that he is presumably related to. Like kings in the middle ages or early modern era these guys don't love their wives usually they are for business.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Trump posted:

What do you mean by "purely first-day"? Friday is statistically the biggest day during weekend openings.

I'll admit, It's been a while since I followed BO reports and I kind of forget half the USA is still living under the plague. But the $60 million dollar estimate is mine, and it's very generous.

On the 20th, Variety said:

quote:

The Warner Bros. film, a big-screen adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 sci-fi novel, opens in 4,100 theaters in the U.S. and Canada on Friday and is projected to generate $30 million to $40 million in its first three days of release. It would be a solid start considering “Dune,” like the studio’s entire 2021 film slate, is landing simultaneously on HBO Max in the U.S. Box office experts predict that ticket sales for “Dune” may be especially strong on Thursday night (for previews) and Friday before slowing down on Saturday and Sunday because the property’s die-hard fans often show up in force on opening day.

Today they are saying:

quote:

Box Office: ‘Dune’ Voyaging to a $39.1 Million Opening Weekend

North American audiences are seeing the spice flow on the big screen. Warner Bros. and Legendary’s “Dune” is expected to open at the top of the domestic box office, targeting a $39.1 million opening weekend haul. The studios’ adaptation of Frank Herbert’s seminal science-fiction novel of the same name launched to $17.5 million on Friday.

It sounds like it's doing as it was expected and as the tracking suggested. It's a fine result. Not amazing, but fine.

If anything, the movie might benefit from the reduced expectations from 1) covid, and 2) HBO max simultaneous release.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 23, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SalTheBard posted:

Leto was single with only Jessica as his concubine

The Bene Gessert do not all act as concubines, they have a huge breeding program however so insofar as a sister is needed to further that program, she'll work toward that goal

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Trump posted:

I'm talking about the movie having been in cinemas since some time in September, internationally, and the international box office still being a factor, despite how much Usanians like to pretend that the rest of the world doesn't exist and that we don't have cinemas or some poo poo.

My point about the $60 million estimate is to question whether it's you comparing movies to pre-COVID-19 or movies during COVID-19? Because it did pretty well for being released during the pandemic in the US, as far as all the news reporting I can see is saying.

SalTheBard posted:

I'll be honest, I don't remember a great deal about the Handmaids, but Bene Gesserit are a faction in the Duniverse which has been mostly secretly affecting politics for millennia, all the while maintaining careful control of birthlines, to bring forth someone who they can install as the Emperor. I think the idea is that they're aware of the race conciousness that tends towards stagnation which Paul and Leto II talk about, and they want to try and avoid that fate.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 23, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
someone earlier said that Lynch's Dune is basically the anime version of this one and i don't know if they meant it as a compliment but i think it's entirely accurate in only good ways

what i'm saying here is that Sting should be playing Vegeta

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SalTheBard posted:

The Bene Gesserit are a school for women of high society, like how mentats teach you to be a human computer or the Ginaz school of swordfighting taught Duncan and Gurney to be badass. The skills they acquire are highly valuable, such as their perception of subconscious microgestures. So it's considered a valuable asset to have a BG wife/concubine and, as a result, a lot of the important women in society are members of it, including the Emperor's daughters that were mentioned. Of course there's much more to them in secret, but they don't exactly go around advertising that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

frogbs posted:

https://youtu.be/AGqdE1NdMTg

Yeah this set absolutely rules.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

The great houses also had hidden stockpiles of "atomics" (aka nukes) that were a last-ditch deterrent against conventional warfare. Using atomics offensively was grounds for planetary annihilation. I think some (or all) or the Atriedes nukes were to be transferred to Arrakis. I dont remember if its covered in the book but these may have been sabotaged too, or the Duke knew that nuking the heart of imperial spice refining and logistics would be a death sentence for his house.

But you're pretty much on the right track. If spice production was critically endangered, the Emperor and Baron were counting on the Guild, CHOAM, etc holding their nose and allowing the Atriedes to be wiped out.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 23, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly it looks really cool, but if it wasn't directed by David Lynch it would have no fanboy cachet and would be remembered the same way as like Flash Gordon or Barbarella

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how Lynch's film is remembered.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Wait a second

quote:

Fantastic audience response here with an A- CinemaScore, the same as Blade Runner 2049, and higher than Villeneue’s Arrival (B)

How the gently caress did Arrival get a B on CinemaScore? That's practically a pan!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

To add to this, Denis Villeneuve has already made Warner Bros quite a chunk of change from Blade Runner 2049s box office and physical media release - so he's got a store of good-will worked up, in so far as the C-level execs who only care about money knows that he's proven he's capable of delivering.

If Dune II doesn't get made, it's because someone decided to kill the project outright.

BR2049 was a box office disappointment for WB and the reason why only Part 1 of Dune was greenlit.

Ego-bot posted:

Atreides are really popular with a bunch of the other houses and it's making the emperor fearful, so the emperor's participation in the attack on the Atreides is supposed to be secret because otherwise all the other houses would band together with the Atreides against the emperor, which is why he wanted them gone in the first place.

In the movie almost all the politicking is left by the wayside, unfortunately.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

fart simpson posted:

i have hopefully good news.

it just opened here in china this weekend, and i went to see it today in imax and it was the most crowded ive seen the theater since 2019

and literally every movie that earned any money this year has done well in china. it’s the biggest movie market this year

Good sized crowd when I saw it, too. On the negative side, however, it's only got an 8.0 rating on Dianping so it's probably not going to have a great tail.

That being said I'm like 90% sure the sequel has already been greenlit so it's a moot point.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'm surprised they didn't do what LOTR did and film two movies at once, then release them a year apart. This film is so heavily "part 1" in every way, which if nothing else takes a lot of confidence

There is a 3 year time skip in the books so it kinda works

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I think they did a pretty good job with the shield fighting. Felt very faithful. It's about limb control, lots of blocking movements, very "geometric," putting yourself in a position where you can slowly push the blade through. Part of the reason the Sardaukar get dunked on is because they're not used to fighting anything without a shield.

The bombs that "drill" through the shield were a visual and artistic compromise, because the shield just doesn't stop momentum but reflects it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The whole "Will Dune II get made???????" is C-level executive bullshit from the studio forced upon the actors, directors and everyone else working on the movie, to try and generate more buzz.
There's no loving way Denis Villeneuve signed on to do half a movie based on a book that he's been wanting to make a movie out of, ever since he was a kid.
Of course he only agreed to make the movie if they'd let him do it in two parts, he said as much.

The question has always been, will the studio tell him to gently caress off if they decide they don't want to follow through.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Saw it this afternoon, really liked it.

A film adaptation of a book as dense as Dune is will never capture everything, so I think its perfectly fine for Villeneuve to have focused on the elements that make it a deconstruction of the Call to Adventure.

I particularly liked how over the course of the film he subtly lines up a series of secondary characters who all experience a call to adventure (with terrible consequences), all culminating in Paul's decision.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Trump posted:

Who the hell wants to catch COVID watching a movie?

Looked fine in my basement on the flatscreen with the 5.1 surround sound.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davecrazy posted:

Who the hell wants to catch COVID watching a movie?

Looked fine in my basement on the flatscreen with the 5.1 surround sound.

More than 80% of over age 12 are vaccinated in my county (almost 90 partial vaxed) and the theater checked vax status if you wanted to buy concessions too so :shrug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly it looks really cool, but if it wasn't directed by David Lynch it would have no fanboy cachet and would be remembered the same way as like Flash Gordon or Barbarella

Both of those movies are excellent.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

More than 80% of over age 12 are vaccinated in my county (almost 90 partial vaxed) and the theater checked vax status if you wanted to buy concessions too so :shrug:

At least among my friends and acquaintances here in New England, even if we're all vaccinated most people are still hesitant to do anything with generic high exposure like movies or concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Saw this in a late opening night show in IMAX and the theatre was considerably more packed than it was for a similar showing of No Time to Die so I'm surprised the film is tracking to make less than that, but I hope word of mouth for it is good.

This is an excellent watch if you want to get in to Villeneuve's thought processes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAA0sYkLI0