Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
RE4VR is really cool! BUT the limit on how fast you can fire your weapon is really annoying in vr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

PCVR is dead until someone (Valve) releases a relatively affordable standalone PCVR headset.

Yeah, that's been obvious since the Quest launched. There's no point building for PCVR atm when A: Oculus pay better, and B: There's a far larger playerbase to sell to in the Quest 2. What could serve to eventually revitalize PCVR is actually PSVR2, because Sony's gonna want good-looking games and is much more open to PC ports nowadays.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
PC VR is dead just like consoles killed PC gaming I mean mobile gaming killed consoles I mean (etc)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

PCVR is pretty much dormant for now, because it has hit the limit of how many people it can get in for the cost required. That's just how it is, and there isn't a lot to be done about it for now.

Having a lower powered, lower cost device take over isn't a bad thing, because it proves that there is plenty of growth left in the market, and games like RE4 show that you can pull off full length adventure games like we've always wanted, it'll just need developers to work around the hardware a bit, the same as developing for handhelds over the years.

I'm aware of the thread title, but the Quest is where it's at for the next couple of years at the very least. Just use Sidequest to back up and stream your Quest, and look forward to when there'll be cheap alternatives that the average consumer can jump on. PSVR2 should help there at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

PC VR is dead just like consoles killed PC gaming I mean mobile gaming killed consoles I mean (etc)

Conventional gaming doesn't have a single company throwing endless money at studios to secure a monopoly on exclusive titles, with zero extant competition and a platform that offers far better returns than the PC version. PCVR is also a high-end hobby market to begin with, so your potential playerbase for anything in that is a niche of a niche.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm aware of the thread title, but the Quest is where it's at for the next couple of years at the very least. Just use Sidequest to back up and stream your Quest, and look forward to when there'll be cheap alternatives that the average consumer can jump on. PSVR2 should help there at least.

Valve's Deckard Project the real game-changer in the long-run, as it's an x86 standalone VR headset instead of android, and has far more potential as an open platform for development.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

KakerMix posted:

PCVR is at the point of only getting scraps from Quest. It's enough to keep it around, but until hardware exists that makes PCVR accessible it's maybe not dead, but in limbo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

, and games like RE4 show that you can pull off full length adventure games like we've always wanted, it'll just need developers to work around the hardware a bit, the same as developing for handhelds over the years.

Some people pointed to low power of the device as the reason of why some many games were small, arcade things (explaining why they didn't support it) and I always thought that didn't make sense. In 1998 on PC we had a good, lengthy, innovative title like Half Life 1, with even less power.

So where was the equivalent of HL1? A quality game with 10+ hours playtime but with limited graphics as compromise to make it run on the mobile soc. The real reason we barely have good,full blown games like that is that even a old game like it, with its primitive graphics, it needed close to a 40 man team and several years of development.

While I think most vr operations are still smaller indie games. So the problem is still the economic prospect of vr development.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Saints & Sinners managed something like that. I have to wonder with Medal of Honor getting a Quest port, if the Lone Echo games are on their way too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Saints & Sinners managed something like that. I have to wonder with Medal of Honor getting a Quest port, if the Lone Echo games are on their way too.

I'd have thought Lone Echo ports would've been a top-priority as one of their few true Oculus exclusives. Especially as Echo Arena exists on the Quest already.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

My pet theory is that they are waiting for Quest 3 to port it, to have a hardware a bit closer to the original specs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
My theory is Lone Echo is a distant blip in the face of whatever facebook ends up calling their metaverse thing and they no longer need Lone Echo as a property. Cynical I suppose, but look at it like an executive.

Remember, games are the gateway, they VR internet is the goal.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I still remain unconvinced of the that idea, the Metaverse, a Internet vr. Just because it sounded cool in a sci-fi book it doesn't mean it will be practical, useful or cool in reality.

Zuckerberg going ham into it actually makes him sound like a vr nerd, closer to some people here than some will admit.

It maybe a wasteful sink for FB, so hey, maybe it will cause their demise!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
PC VR is lagging because everyone could grab a quest 2 and use that, but no one can afford video cards any more, if they can find them in the first place. I have a 1080 and I'm pretty sure anything less would not be worth the experience. 120fps is my minimum threshold, anything else and I get dizzy.

I miss being a young kid who never felt motion sickness. VR is the first thing to make me feel ill like that.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 23, 2021

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Why would anyone want VR internet, the only thing VR can do better in that context than a flat browser is provide spatial interaction with other people, and what kind of moron wants to interact with people on the internet

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Once more people have quests and VR gaming is more mass market, there will be more of a market for pcvr games.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Nocheez posted:

no one can afford video cards any more

It's this, op

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nocheez posted:

PC VR is lagging because everyone could grab a quest 2 and use that, but no one can afford video cards any more, if they can find them in the first place.

I'm glad I upgraded my computer just prior to everything going to poo poo in the video card market. It was prebuilt, and it only had a 2060 super, but it's more than adequate for VR in my experience.

I guess I was lucky to have tried to upgrade my CPU and broke my mobo when I did. :v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

Saints & Sinners

S&S is one of the best game-games for VR, right up there with Alyx. i really with there was more like it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There are some useful implementations of VR for browsers, like how Sketchfab lets you view 3D models as a full roomscale experience without needing to download anything, and I can see it being handy for 3D artists showing off their portfolio, for sampling small games and experiences, etc. The browser experience itself could generally be better as well, by spreading out UI elements instead of just being a standard 2D browser window, allowing you to pin multiple tabs as floating windows you can manipulate at will, that kind of thing.

But a full on metaverse is going to go the same way as PlayStation Home, or how corporations and bands briefly started making worlds for Second Life. They all failed because convenience trumps all, and none of these concepts have that once you get past the novelty, plus they take vastly more resources to produce and maintain. AR is going to be huge, but a full immersive world to explore, not a chance in hell.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

the nomaiVR mod now works with the new outer wilds DLC. I really wish I could just use the headset and a regular gamepad though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nocheez posted:

PC VR is lagging because everyone could grab a quest 2 and use that, but no one can afford video cards any more, if they can find them in the first place. I have a 1080 and I'm pretty sure anything less would not be worth the experience. 120fps is my minimum threshold, anything else and I get dizzy.

I miss being a young kid who never felt motion sickness. VR is the first thing to make me feel ill like that.

It's not even really a question of just graphics cards; A standalone headset was always going to outsell the PCVR market by an obscene margin because the buy-in is literally just the headset itself. To get into PCVR you need a good desktop PC to begin with, and that's a couple grand on its own on top of the VR equipment. You can't beat simple, and that's what the Quest 2 is from top-to-bottom.

PSVR2's also going to be on the back-foot because A: You'll need a PS5 and B: It's pretty drat hard to get ahold of a PS5.

Valve's Deckard project is the only thing with a potential chance at being competition, depending on how Valve goes with it, (and it's Valve, so :rolldice:), but that's likely still a few years out if the Steam Deck's their hardware proof-of-concept.

bitmap posted:

the nomaiVR mod now works with the new outer wilds DLC. I really wish I could just use the headset and a regular gamepad though.

I didn't even know the DLC was out :stwoon:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 23, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bitmap posted:

Cool I was waiting for that!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I don't have a facebook account and don't want one. Is it easy enough these days to set up some kind of fake fb account and just use that to get a quest 2? I want to try VR but I don't want to get a PSVR, which seems dead and also limited, and I can't do PCVR because I have a pretty basic laptop and that's all. The quest 2 just runs it all in the headset, right? and you can also link it up to your computer to run any VR games you download on steam etc, right?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

roomtone posted:

I don't have a facebook account and don't want one. Is it easy enough these days to set up some kind of fake fb account and just use that to get a quest 2? I want to try VR but I don't want to get a PSVR, which seems dead and also limited, and I can't do PCVR because I have a pretty basic laptop and that's all. The quest 2 just runs it all in the headset, right? and you can also link it up to your computer to run any VR games you download on steam etc, right?

yes to all

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

roomtone posted:

It’s easy to set up a fake account until it isn’t and it gets tagged by a bot on Facebook’s end, and your quest is perma-locked for X amount of time until you sort that poo poo out. If you’re even considering getting a Quest 2 at some point, start a FB, fake or otherwise, now and do just enough poo poo in it to get it past the “is this recently created account a bot?” Window where it’s all a roll of an automated dice.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Thanks. And is there any kind of non-facebook/non-account linked alternative that is as good as the quest 2?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah I wouldn't make a fake account, they probably have a shadow account on you already and something obviously fake isn't likely to pass the smell test. Just fill in a few basic details, add a somewhat plain old photo, make a couple of posts about how you're planning to buy/have bought a Quest if you're stuck for what to post, then that should be enough.

It sucks, but if you aren't going to actively use it after that then it is what it is.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

roomtone posted:

and you can also link it up to your computer to run any VR games you download on steam etc, right?
To be clear, the Quest will only be displaying Steam games, and your computer will be running them. You might know that but the wording here could be read either way, and I don't want you to be disappointed/surprised.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

roomtone posted:

Thanks. And is there any kind of non-facebook/non-account linked alternative that is as good as the quest 2?

Nothing at that price point. Facebook pretty much sells these at cost or at a loss because the FB account requirement (and any purchases on their oculus store) makes up for it on their end.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nothing at that price point. Facebook pretty much sells these at cost or at a loss because the FB account requirement (and any purchases on their oculus store) makes up for it on their end.

Even allowing for a price point double the actual or even more, what other device have the standalone capabilities, the possibility to connect to PC via wire or wireless, the good inside out tracking, and the more mature software library?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

Even allowing for a price point double the actual or even more, what other device have the standalone capabilities, the possibility to connect to PC via wire or wireless, the good inside out tracking, and the more mature software library?

Nothing, though if the handful of Chinese headset companies that have sprung up continue to exist the gap might close over time even if Valve doesn't get involved.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Nothing, though if the handful of Chinese headset companies that have sprung up continue to exist the gap might close over time even if Valve doesn't get involved.

I knew the answer ;), I was trying to show how saying 'FB is selling the device at a loss!' doesn't capture all nuance of the current market and why Q2 is the default choice.

In other news, Pimax and Tobii alliance
https://caniplaythat.com/2021/10/22/tobii-eye-tracking-to-become-a-standard-feature-in-pimax-vr-headsets/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i know it's anecdotal but i personally just made a fake account, added a thiscatdoesnotexist profile picture, joined a couple quest 2 facebook groups and i still haven't been banned.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

King Vidiot posted:

I'm glad I upgraded my computer just prior to everything going to poo poo in the video card market. It was prebuilt, and it only had a 2060 super, but it's more than adequate for VR in my experience.

I guess I was lucky to have tried to upgrade my CPU and broke my mobo when I did. :v:

Playing Lone Echo II reaaallly made my 2060s struggle. or something else in my system struggle, it had a lot of problems either streaming in the good textures or.. kept leaving the good textures behind to keep the framerate up, it's hard to tell.

And im only on a quest 1 so it wasn't even trying to push the framerate that high

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

"More mature software library" is a set of goalposts that you can put anywhere you want - does Viveport count? - but otherwise the Vive Focus 3 and the Pico Neo 3 Pro meet those requirements, but aren't priced or even marketed at a realistic consumer level. Technically there's also the DPVR P1 NOLO, but that one's a lot jankier so I'm not going to make any serious claims about it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nocheez posted:

Its not cost.

The quest sells because its easy and don't require poo poo and its cheap. Nobody wants to setup a PC, nobody wants to have a thing they are stuck to, wireless or not. Nobody wants extra poo poo. The fact standalones can do PC is great, but its niche AF and will probably continue to be.

Friction is friction. I'm finding more and more as I slide into the consumer quest land that yeah, in fact, most people who have one don't even really have a PC to do poo poo on and none of them would have dropped PC money to get into VR either. Pre GPU spike PC money even. Ya know, when you could buy a VR Ready prebuilt for 600 bucks tops?

Hell we're porting to Quest for that reason. Not enough PCVR users. Straight up.

I will always lean to PCVR if given the option. I hate wearing my quest. But it really is the device atm.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 23, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

"More mature software library" is a set of goalposts that you can put anywhere you want - does Viveport count?
It's decent enough, yes.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

PCVR ain't dead, it's in limbo. The inability to get graphics cards the last two years and the quest 2 reaching a way more massive market (it's basically a console) means it's probably going to be in limbo for the foreseeable future

I can see pcvr mainly being VR options on built for 2D games rather than built for VR experiences for the next few years (which isn't always terrible, subnautica is one of my fav VR games I've played)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I discovered today that someone "ported" Jet Set Radio Future to VRChat and I'm so loving hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Interested in getting into VR. Only prior experience I have is trying out my friend's PSVR a few years back, which I enjoyed a lot. I'm looking at getting an Index. I have a GTX 1660 Super, new MoBo with WiFi 6 and an AMD Ryzen 7. Will that rig be able to handle PCVR games? I've passed all the VR Check software poo poo I can find but don't really wanna drop a grand on this and have my rig be chugging like crazy all the time. I'm mainly interested in VRChat, watching movies, and virtual desktop applications. Don't care about RE4, but would like to give some games a shot (Fallout 4 VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, No Man's Sky, Project Cars are on my list as of now). How am I looking?