Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Electromax posted:

I enjoyed this vid where director breaks down that scene and explains why he chose to film it that way.

https://youtu.be/GoAA0sYkLI0

This was fantastic. Thank you! Now I'm going to rewatch the movie again as soon as it gets dark tonight. I have a feeling this is going to make it's way into my top 5 at some point.

Collapsing Farts posted:

They seemed to have guns and tools capable of penetrating personal shields like those burrowing needle things or the big bombs that slowed down before they hit the shield but then they go and only use swords in actual fights?

This is why Lynch struggled and ultimately made the weirding modules. Because he felt a bunch of people running around with daggers would be too easily killed, shield or no, so he powered them up to make it more believable. I never had a problem with it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Electromax posted:

I enjoyed this vid where director breaks down that scene and explains why he chose to film it that way.

https://youtu.be/GoAA0sYkLI0

Thanks for this.

There's a look that Timothée Chalamet gives to Charlotte Rampling near the end of that scene that foreshadows the entire plot of Dune. That's masterful direction.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That whole Gom Jabbar scene felt like it was stylistically ripped out of Bloodborne with a little Beksiński and gave me the heebie-jeebies. So good.

Also, "the voice" when Paul shouted at his mother in the tent, it loving made me jump out of my seat. I thought the Lynch voices were cool, but in 2021 they know how to mix audio to punch you in the side of the head.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 23, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

This was fantastic. Thank you! Now I'm going to rewatch the movie again as soon as it gets dark tonight. I have a feeling this is going to make it's way into my top 5 at some point.

This is why Lynch struggled and ultimately made the weirding modules. Because he felt a bunch of people running around with daggers would be too easily killed, shield or no, so he powered them up to make it more believable. I never had a problem with it.

I think another thing that's changed is that in the 80s, "martial arts", to the US public, meant Chinese and Japanese stuff in badly dubbed movies playing on TV, and the idea that the Atreides had some special technique of fighting that made them more powerful than other armies- the Weirding Way- was gonna be hard to convey. So the modules were a nice little metaphor, it's still a technique but hey there's a gadget too, you can get that right?

It could have used some elaboration here, but I suspect Part II will actually get into that as there's a good opportunity to.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Wait a second

How the gently caress did Arrival get a B on CinemaScore? That's practically a pan!

That's kinda surprising, but I think the marketing suggested some Army vs Aliens action, and the surest way to get a general audience to react negatively to something is to give them something they're not expecting. And maybe people were confused by the ending.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My boss at the time told me when he saw arrival in theaters people walked out because it was too confusing

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

smooth jazz posted:

Actually now that the ladies codpiece mystery is solved my only beef is how they pronounced Pah-DEE-sha.

Padishah is a real word and it’s pronounced with stress on the first syllable. It’s an archaic title for Middle Eastern monarchs, like, you know, the Shah of Iran.

In a two and a half hour long movie about space assassins fighting over magic drugs, you picked the one thing that’s not a silly made up word as your stupid hill to die on.

Lmao.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's also tens of thousands of years in the future and changes in language would be expected.

I mean the main religion's holy book is the "Orange Catholic Bible" which in universe is some conglomeration of all the major religions of Earth combined into one. Things are gonna be different in 10 thousand years in the future.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I know they generally suck these days but for some reason I watched the angry joe review of this, and jesus christ it's like none of them even watched the movie, they somehow all 3 collectively forgot they explain what spice was in the first 10 minutes of the movie, and then use it as a criticism.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 23, 2021

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

If it has not been mentioned before, for those who are wanting to break up the viewing experience it divides nicely into three acts that work like 50 minute premium TV episodes. The first one ends with the private audience between the Bene Gesserit and Baron Harkonnen ("my desert, my arrakis, my dune") with a threatening relevation. The second ends with Duncan bowing to Paul as the new Duke.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really, really like how the film explains things and the choices made; things included from the book, things left out, new things or things brought forward. Like how there are two moments where Villeneuve just has no choice but to exposition dump on us and it's done via Paul literally watching an educational tape. Nobody ever just says something out loud that all the characters in the room would already know.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seems like it should make 33-39M this weekend, which I guess it's good enough to win the weekend these days? At the very least the studio probably doesn't see this as a bomb, which should get the second one made. Frankly that's all I care about.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is Paul's choice with Jamis why sometimes Zendaya kills him and sometimes she doesn't in his visions? It felt like an either or thing to me as it was presented in the movie and I read the book 20 some odd years ago so I don't remember poo poo about it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Azubah posted:

Is Paul's choice with Jamis why sometimes Zendaya kills him and sometimes she doesn't in his visions? It felt like an either or thing to me as it was presented in the movie and I read the book 20 some odd years ago so I don't remember poo poo about it.

Paul's choices change the future, yes.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Something important to remember is that Paul is not Dr. Manhattan. Paul does not see the future. Paul sees many futures branching out infinitely before him, and he can't even see all of those branches clearly enough to know for sure where his choices will take him. He is not a person just passively living through his destiny but instead needs to actively work to make the things he sees happen. The reason that there are so many flashes of Chani is because even as these futures branch out before him, ALL futures bring him to her.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also at this point in the story his prescience isn't perfect, which is why he's only seeing flashes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's important to remember that there's no magic in dune, only drugs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s not particularly interesting constantly flashing to her. He has other interesting prescient moments by this point including meeting Baron Harkonnen and calling him uncle

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

shrike82 posted:

It’s not particularly interesting constantly flashing to her. He has other interesting prescient moments by this point including meeting Baron Harkonnen and calling him uncle

Grandfather. He's Jessica's father.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I thought this was really bad. Somehow, despite taking 2h30m for only half of the first book, it feels woefully incomplete and thin. The story ends at a weird point that's supposed to mark a turning point for Paul, but which barely works in the larger arc of the film. And so many worldbuilding details are left out... Important ones that make the characters and plot richer. I understand why you don't want to infodump science fiction world-building factoids on your audience, but let's face it, the books never had an amazing plot... they mainly just present a series of complex conspiracies and prophecies within a richly detailed world. If you try to only present the events of the story and skip the quirks and details, Dune is pretty dull!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 23, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Padishah is a real word and it’s pronounced with stress on the first syllable. It’s an archaic title for Middle Eastern monarchs, like, you know, the Shah of Iran.

In a two and a half hour long movie about space assassins fighting over magic drugs, you picked the one thing that’s not a silly made up word as your stupid hill to die on.

Lmao.

tomayto, tomahto I don't think you got the goonirony.

It was also awesome to see Timothee Chalamet whispering mandarin chinese.
Need to cash in those RMB, but tastefully.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Lmao.
Goons are and always have been terrible at watching movies.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Makes you wonder how the only Chinese looking character being a traitor is going to play over there

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Someone make an over the top 40K movie in the style of that ritual human sacrifice scene please

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

I thought this was really bad. Somehow, despite taking 2h30m for only half of the first book, it feels woefully incomplete and thin. The story ends at a weird point that's supposed to mark a turning point for Paul, but which barely works in the larger arc of the film. And so many worldbuilding details are left out... Important ones that make the characters and plot richer. I understand why you don't want to infodump science fiction world-building factoids on your audience, but let's face it, the books never had an amazing plot... they mainly just present a series of complex conspiracies and prophecies within a richly detailed world. If you're just trying to present the events of the story and skipping the details, Dune is pretty dull!

It's an entire film dedicated to exploring the first step of the monomyth: 'what does it mean to accept the call to adventure?'

Multiple times throughout the film we are shown that answering the call to adventure has terrible consequences - and I don't mean Paul's visions, I mean we see a series of supporting characters answer the call and have it end badly for them, although they may or may not achieve their objective. The climax of the film is Paul accepting the call even though he has seen exactly where it lead and what the terrible consequences will be.

In what it sets out to do the film is a complete story.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Collapsing Farts posted:

Someone make an over the top 40K movie in the style of that ritual human sacrifice scene please

yes yes yes. Rewatching the Sadaukar scene over and over again and thinking how cool it would be to have a 40k movie.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It's an entire film dedicated to exploring the first step of the monomyth: 'what does it mean to accept the call to adventure?'

Multiple times throughout the film we are shown that answering the call to adventure has terrible consequences - and I don't mean Paul's visions, I mean we see a series of supporting characters answer the call and have it end badly for them, although they may or may not achieve their objective. The climax of the film is Paul accepting the call even though he has seen exactly where it lead and what the terrible consequences will be.

In what it sets out to do the film is a complete story.
If this speaks to Dune II managing to make Frank Herberts point about heroic characters saliently, I think it might possibly have a chance of being the best movie ever made.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s funny how while the Salusa Secundus scene is visually arresting, it does so little to provide actual context - the harshness of the prison planet setup driving their elite nature and the comparison with the Fremen

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

shrike82 posted:

It’s funny how while the Salusa Secundus scene is visually arresting, it does so little to provide actual context - the harshness of the prison planet setup driving their elite nature and the comparison with the Fremen

Look it sets up the Sardaukar as a pretty cool elite villain. Its just the fight scenes felt kinda like a football riot with slightly more jumping around and the most we see of the Sradaukar is them getting owned by Carl Drogo which undercuts their cool intro by a lot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Like a lot of things, it's probably setup for Dune II.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Watched this today, having never read a Dune book or watched the movie or anything, and drat was it good. Very excited for the sequel if they make one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If this speaks to Dune II managing to make Frank Herberts point about heroic characters saliently, I think it might possibly have a chance of being the best movie ever made.

The climax of this film is a duel where Paul has to kill someone. This is also the climax of the end of the complete story. In both duels Paul hesitates to do all he can to kill his opponent but for very different reasons. I don't think the specific end point was an accident and I suspect the plan for part 2 involves a fair bit of mirroring.

Also they should cast Iain McDiramid as the Emperor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If Feyd wishes he can meet you with my lightsaber in his hand

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

shrike82 posted:

Makes you wonder how the only Chinese looking character being a traitor is going to play over there

Nobody cares, as far as I can tell. There's been far more attention paid to Chalamet's ropey Mandarin pronunciation.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tankbuster posted:

Look it sets up the Sardaukar as a pretty cool elite villain. Its just the fight scenes felt kinda like a football riot with slightly more jumping around
Better than the Dark Knight Rises cops vs thugs interpretive dance battle y/n

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Ego-bot posted:

Been a while since I've read the book, but was there an explanation of why the Emperor couldn't just greenlight a Harkonen invasion of Caladan instead of loving up spice production for however long with the pointless transfer?

The only thing I can think of is blaming lowered output of spice on Leto and using that as a pretext for wiping them out.

If the emperor acted openly the Landsradd would turn on him. They mention this in the movie.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

This is perfect, they just need to slap a Dune sticker on it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

davecrazy posted:

Looked fine in my basement on the flatscreen with the 5.1 surround sound.

:same:

That part at the beginning where Paul correctly uses the Voice was great - that bass rumble shook the entire room, was not expecting that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Daduzi posted:

Nobody cares, as far as I can tell. There's been far more attention paid to Chalamet's ropey Mandarin pronunciation.

the theater i was in burst out laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

2house2fly posted:

There's a fragile system in place where the noble houses have enough power that if some of them got together they could coup the emperor. House Atreides is powerful and popular, so if the emperor was seen to have a hand in wiping them out he'd have a dangerous amount of people mad at him. If he looks like he gave them Dune and the Harkonnens attacked out of grievance then everyone is just mad at the Harkonnens

There's also the added benefit of wiping out the Harkonnen finances for a while so they also don't become too powerful. A real good gambit for the Emperor. Shame that Paul has magic drug powers.