Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone, but I sorted all the music to play on exclusive stages*. I recall someone posted something like this a while ago, so I thought to go through it with my own tastes. Songs were arranged via a combination of the appropriate game origin, the appropriate feel, and whatever I felt like. Spreadsheet was shamelessly stolen from some online source.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o-Jr_dmSPqYoRRH4ssZdyLRBZK9YsQe-xgn77JHG_Ds/edit#gid=1024511252

*gently caress you the f-zero medley song is playing on all three stages

Yeah that was me: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xkHJDn9cOTTPFT_ahYkjPI2CNPtgafbofS4ALYxGorY/edit#gid=0

Still, yours is prettier and way more thorough. I never really added stages that only had their own music since that's up to everyone to sort on their own.

Also, I never cared for music with lyrics, which many of you do not agree with me on.

Tetris Effect has finally produced some tracks with lyrics that I like. I really like the songs in that game, even if they're not what I usually listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Kins posted:

Yeah, it's not known who the Pokemon Stadium 2 cat is.

For reference, a clearer, older pic of Sakurai's cat Fukura:

this is the best cat in the world.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Viewtiful Jew posted:

With Smash over, he can finally post pictures of his cat again.

I wouldn't say its completely over yet, they still have plenty of amiibos to announce the release date of.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Banjo's Side B makes him completely invincible so it can't recharge

*Nearly every DLC character has a way of just smacking him out of it*

Banjo is truly the most tortured soul.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

boo boo my stupid extremely strong move is capable of being countered.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I ran into a Banjo player that was so depressingly predictable with spamming the side b that I basically ended up pretending to be a matador until he ran out of charges and then bullied him to death. I almost felt bad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Yeah, it's not known who the Pokemon Stadium 2 cat is.

For reference, a clearer, older pic of Sakurai's cat Fukura:

Good catte

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I refuse to let Sakurai rest until we get Board the Platforms back. This is supposed to be Smash Ultimate after all.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It is weird considering how they could've just given a Build your own Platform maps. We have a stage builder, it couldn't have been all that different.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

b_d posted:

boo boo my stupid extremely strong move is capable of being countered.

When it doesn't ever recharge and becomes a button that punishes the player for pushing it, yes it should be strong and not countered easily.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It is weird considering how they could've just given a Build your own Platform maps. We have a stage builder, it couldn't have been all that different.

I need an announcer to tell me to BOARD THE PLATFORMS or I wont do it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No, that checks out. The Wonderwing is fairly useful in Banjo-Kazooie, but in Banjo-Tooie, you just need it for, like, one Jinjo in Hailfire Peaks.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's more then a few base roster characters who can do it too. That said, I think the only ones that have a particularly EASY time of it are faster tether grabbers like Luigi and Lucas, Terry past 100%, Incineroar and Ganon with their dashing grabs, and Kirby/Dedede's inhale. It's startup can be reacted to, but it's still too fast or it's hitbox too big/fast moving for a lot of options that can do it to EASIALY beat it- someone nailing you with a Kazuya dunk or Koopa Klaw mid-move deserves a bit of respect, especially online.

Everyone can PUNISH THE gently caress out of Wonderwing, but that's because the move has eight years of endlag so a whiff or block basically means it's time to eat poo poo which makes it hilariously sketchy as either an attack or a recovery tool (especially if you need to up-b after with it's own atrocious startup. That's like an entire console generation to just go out there and clock Banjo.)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Boy I've been running into a lot of Wifi Soras tonight. Nothing says fun like laggy Sonic Blade spam.

Also fun is bullying K. Rools who like to use too many cannonballs & crowns. My favorite is reflecting the cannonball, them sucking it up and shooting it out upwards, and then jumping and reflecting it back at them again.

Anyways what I'm saying is I don't know why I ever stopped playing Zelda. The shiny allure of rad DLC characters led me astray.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1452325619983962122

quote:

Edit 2: Now that this is getting a lot of attention from those outside the r/gamingleaksandrumours subreddit. Let me say some more on Platform Fighters.

This isn’t the only one in active development and those at NR/Warner have known this for awhile now. It’s an open secret in the industry that fter the success of Smash Ultimate, combined with Nintendo’s complete tone-deafness towards their audience and playerbase, a lot of Western Studios have begun to capitalize on the opportunity to make their own platform fighter that doesn’t treat their playerbase and competitive players like poo poo. The numbers competitive smash, especially Melee, pulls is not lost on the Western studios and the opportunity to take a slice of that pie is extremely apparent.

Netherrealm isn’t the last. I know of at least 2 others with major IP that are developing others, all based off Melee’s speed and depth. Netherrealm i just have the most info on because, well, I won’t say anymore so I don’t get fired. But there’s at least one other that, as a studio, is significantly bigger than us and you already know a little about it. All I’ll say on that because I don’t have much info.

Two other unnamed titles plus a WB one plus Nick All-Stars that's four mainstream(?) platform fighters all "based off Melee's speed and depth". This gold rush will either help distribute the competitive players across these titles evenly in peace or it ends up a giant mess.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'wow Smash Ultimate has been insanely successful, literally the best selling fighting game of all time. well, time to make another Melee clone'

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they should make a playstation all stars clone instead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

our new game has it all:

- wave dashing
- l-cancelling
- BEAN jumping
- reverse woosters
- 4 viable characters

come buy it now before the fanbase drops it for the next flavour of the week!!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

b_d posted:

they should make a playstation all stars clone instead.

I mean it's Ultimate except you only play as Snake, Sora, Cloud, Sephiroth, Joker, Bayonetta, Mii Swordsman Dante, and a couple more that I'm sure I'm missing.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

If all it really took was Melee like gameplay Icons would of been a breakout success

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah Smash Bros is popular because not only is it a good and fun party fighting game it's also a celebration of Nintendo's history
Who the gently caress cares about the random rear end characters in all the other platform fighters out there

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I mean it's Ultimate except you only play as Snake, Sora, Cloud, Sephiroth, Joker, Bayonetta, Mii Swordsman Dante, and a couple more that I'm sure I'm missing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Warner Bros/Netherrealm platform fighter to me translates to Mortal Kombat platform fighter

Except that was already done before, it was called Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero :rimshot:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

EorayMel posted:

Warner Bros/Netherrealm platform fighter to me translates to Mortal Kombat platform fighter

Except that was already done before, it was called Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero :rimshot:

I thought that was more of a fight platformer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The only developers who innovate on the platform fighting genre are Sakurai and the Brawlhalla devs.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Calaveron posted:

Yeah Smash Bros is popular because not only is it a good and fun party fighting game it's also a celebration of Nintendo's history

Yeah, it's honestly depressing how often competitive players forget that, like, 95% of the install base for Smash does not play it competitively.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bleck posted:

Yeah, it's honestly depressing how often competitive players forget that, like, 95% of the install base for Smash does not play it competitively.

Probably even more than that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bleck posted:

Also: it's easier to get semi-competitive because most of the good technical stuff is just precise applications of base game mechanics rather than exploiting ascended glitches or arcane secrets you need to learn from youtube videos

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

See I consider Ryu more of a Nintendo guy since he was in Nintendo consoles/arcades before being in a Sony thing.
I know the same would apply to Snake but Snake definitely made his bones on the PS1 while Ryu made his on like five different SF2 games on the SNES.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOyVkcbCe4

The thing that would excite me the most about Smash now is if they officially make it a franchise and just start firing off small crossover games of random characters teaming up, like how the trailers were doing things.

Ryu on Donkey Kong island, Richter or Simon in Zelda, Sonic in the Kirby games, stuff like that.

Calaveron posted:

See I consider Ryu more of a Nintendo guy since he was in Nintendo consoles/arcades before being in a Sony thing.
I know the same would apply to Snake but Snake definitely made his bones on the PS1 while Ryu made his on like five different SF2 games on the SNES.

Yeah, replace Ryu with DQ8 Hero, I agree.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been playing the Smash series since the original and I guess I don't play that hard because I've never really noticed that big of a difference in how each one plays compared to the others.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've been playing the Smash series since the original and I guess I don't play that hard because I've never really noticed that big of a difference in how each one plays compared to the others.

Smash is probably one of the best game series, for how long its been running and how widespread its played, in really emphasizing how big the world actually is. Lots of people imagine they're pretty good, being among the biggest fish in their town or their college, but you can go out into the wider world beyond your pre-internet fishbowl and see just how big the fish actually get in the ocean.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think I lost you once the fish showed up.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
If you go back and watch footage of people playing matches in smash 4 or even brawl after playing enough Ultimate, you will notice that the knockback from big attacks in those games feels a lot slower and floatier on the character who has been hit.

In Ultimate you now have a lightning crackle and sometimes a zoom-in to let you know whether something will be a lethal hit if you don't smash your directional stick towards the stage, and right afterwards the character flies off much faster before the player regains control in the air.

e: here's a random finals from smash 4 just watch the knockback effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOecHZcUKo&t=90s

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lux Animus posted:

If you go back and watch footage of people playing matches in smash 4 or even brawl after playing enough Ultimate, you will notice that the knockback from big attacks in those games feels a lot slower and floatier on the character who has been hit.

In Ultimate you now have a lightning crackle and sometimes a zoom-in to let you know whether something will be a lethal hit if you don't smash your directional stick towards the stage, and right afterwards the character flies off much faster before the player regains control in the air.

e: here's a random finals from smash 4 just watch the knockback effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOecHZcUKo&t=90s

Smash 4 matches look like playing through molasses. Like the characters lazily float off after getting hit with a big attack and five seconds later they lose a stock. Watch a whole bunch of Ultimate youtubes then watch a Smash 4 match and it's like night and day.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lux Animus posted:

In Ultimate you now have a lightning crackle and sometimes a zoom-in to let you know whether something will be a lethal hit if you don't smash your directional stick towards the stage

You should press vertical if you are sent horizontal, and horizontal if you get set up to have a better chance of slowing down before you hit the edge. :science:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can deal with a lot of players on Elite with Bowser Jr and it's fine, trying to play Sora at like 6 million gsp makes me feel like my brain doesn't work. I dunno how to beat any character that's fast or any character that camps. The pros seem to think Sora is crazy good but his speed and floatiness makes it so hard to not just be vulnerable to everything at all times.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calaveron posted:

Smash 4 matches look like playing through molasses.

Ultimate feels the same way because I've played so much Melee, but 4 is on another level.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still maintain that brawl has the worst feeling movement of any smash game, 64 included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Nintendo’s complete tone-deafness towards their audience and playerbase, a lot of Western Studios have begun to capitalize on the opportunity to make their own platform fighter that doesn’t treat their playerbase and competitive players like poo poo

This really is people just mad Scrimblo Bimblo didn't get in huh? Especially since Sakurai pretty obviously wanted to throw a bone to competitive players by having Battlefield versions of every stage. I know the online is bad but that wouldn't even matter in competitive matches since they're rarely done online.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember owning people with Kirby all day in the original Smash and then got Melee and went "oh god he sucks now." That's the only difference in play I've ever really noticed in the Smash games.