Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

shrike82 posted:

It looks like the movie’s getting the same initial audience reaction as BR2049 where people get hit with the visual design and then after a while forget about the movie because of the lack of substance

It’s easier to be more critical about the movie when you notice the wow factor from the aesthetics (sweeping backdrops etc) isn’t specific to his vision of Dune but something Villeneuve throws into all his movies as a default placeholder

this movie doesn't have incels thinking they are just like K though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Incels will just copy the Sardaukar instead.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tankbuster posted:

Incels will just copy the Sardaukar instead.

They'll identify with black spider mutant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This movie whipped rear end.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

As in it was gruelling and painful miserable and felt like it went on forever and you were ready for it to end any minute now but just kept going?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I didn't notice on first watch that the Baron behead Yueh with an 8 inch blade in one swipe then tossed his head.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

stratdax posted:

As in it was gruelling and painful miserable and felt like it went on forever and you were ready for it to end any minute now but just kept going?

suks to be yueh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One detail I really appreciated is that we're first shown how Paul has almost mastered The Voice when he commands Jessica to give him some water, and the next time we see The Voice used it's on Paul with there being an implicit point of view where we don't see the steps Paul takes towards Mohaim, indicating how completely someone loses control of themselves when The Voice is used on them, to the point that they're not even aware of what happens.

This didn't happen, there are only 6 Dune books. :colbert:

Paul walks into the desert to assure that the Fremem will be loyal to the Atreides, not to him personally as they are during the first book where he's the cause of the Jihad in his name - and he does it only after acknowledging that Leto II has seen the fullness of the Golden Path. Before that, he was just trying to destroy his own name, in the hopes of stopping the Jihad.

I always assumed Paul couldn't go through with the Golden Path because he was not a complete Kwizats Hadarach, as he was born a generation too early.

Yep, that's how I've always read it too - I think Harkonnens are supposed to be descended from Finnish people, and Atreides are supposed to be descended from Greek people.
Of course there's 20000 years in between, so in reality they would be descended from everyone living today.

Eeh, I dunno - I kinda like that you can actually see how the Krysknife comes from a worm tooth with the Dune 2021 sandworms.
Also that sandworms seem to move by vibrating the sand so it attains fluid dynamics, that's a cool touch.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can see an inner part of the worm close up in a short very shortly after or before the one you linked:

I'd love it if there was.

I think the non-US markets brought it very close to breaking even, or even a bit over - so the ~30$ million it's made in US box office should ensure that it's made a profit.

Also, Warner Bros CEO pretty much confirmed it:
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1451174429954818048

But will we get a new Space Jam and will dune be in it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

everyone thankfully already forgot about space jam

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This movie was unreal. They managed to pull the imagery I've had in my head since I read this book (for the first of dozens of times) in middle school and put it to screen. They cut out the bloat of political machinations and economic intricacies and trusted the audience to make connections and understand what they were seeing. Seeing my favorite book done justice like this was such an ecstatic joy.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

porfiria posted:

This isn't really in the movie at all but how are smugglers supposed to work in the Dune-iverse? Is the idea that they sneak onto Guild ships or sneak contraband cargo onto above board shipments?

Part of this makes more sense in the book because the book Heighliners are just big transports that zip around the universe like a supertanker would the oceans, and transport on the Heighliners is private and strictly enforced by the guild. Nobody gets to know what else is on the Heighliners, you can't see outside your own ship and you can't leave your ship. IIRC there's a passage in the books about Atreides and Harkonnen armies being transported right next to each other and neither having any idea at all.

Heighliners acting more like worm hole tunnels is an interesting license that simplifies the scenario for the movie though I do think it has the side effect of underselling how duplicitous the Guild actually is.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

For how important spice supposedly is we don't really see why. Spice's connection to space travel - and space travel's lack of computers - is almost non-existent in the movie. I bet most people didn't pick up on the fact that the atreides didn't just fly to arrakis themselves.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

stratdax posted:

For how important spice supposedly is we don't really see why. Spice's connection to space travel - and space travel's lack of computers - is almost non-existent in the movie. I bet most people didn't pick up on the fact that the atreides didn't just fly to arrakis themselves.

In one of the first scenes the lesson Paul is listening to says it's what makes interstellar travel possible. I'm sure we'll get more in the sequel, especially at the end when Paul threatens to destroy the spice when confronting the emperor

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I really liked how Jamis was worked into Paul's visions, like A LOT, also Jessica was awesome in this, I think Rebecca Ferguson had the strongest performance in the movie. I liked how we got to hear the different factions' unique languages briefly too and I loved how much she sold how much it was loving her up being loyal to both the Bene Gesserit and to her family at the same time.

I like the unique approach to the heighliners here. I got the impression that they're both wormhole tunnels but also in motion, which of course gives the guild a ton of power. Stuff like the guild navigator meeting with the emperor in the Lynch version and the entire heighliner scene in the Lynch version, there was no loving way in hell they were going to do anything remotely as cool as those so I'm glad they approached the opening scene and that in extremely different ways.

Gurney may as well have not even existed. I loved that instead of having Duncan get taken down by a missile they have him survive the bombardment and then hook up with Liet to help Paul and Jessica escape. In the book that part was done by just some random Atreides dude and always felt redundant to me in the book. Like they escaped, okay now escape even more but with some other guy we know for like two pages so Jessica can swoon over the leadership prowess of Those Atreides Men again.

Just a really tight adaptation that felt super true to the book by changing a ton of stuff effectively to deliver the same information and emotions.

In the book it's not just the year ~10,000, but the year ~10,000 after humanity worked out warping around via the guild. So with it so far into the future I liked how much of the architecture looked like it was built in the future but also ancient at the same time.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 24, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I watched Dune tonight and... honestly, I think I preferred David Lynch's Dune better, it showed some more of the political machinations going on rather than us being told that the Emperor is jealous (as it is, it comes off less as "The Harkonnans got the backing of the Emperor" and more "The Harkonnans bribed/convinced the Sardukar leader to give them some legions" in that scene, nice as it was), we actually got to see the Navigators, and it actually established that Spice is REALLY loving IMPORTANT, that it's something several factions want because it allows for precognicience and not just something that is used for space flight like this version made it seem like. I did like that they expanded on some of the technology, but I don't think they ever brought up the "if you shoot a shield with an energy weapon, bad poo poo happens for the shooter (and everyone around them)" which is... kind of important when you show laser weapons, but have everyone fighting with swords.

Also, the movie made the mistake of feeling like half a movie, so in the event that the second half doesn't get greenlit, you're stuck with half a movie.

Overall... eh, 6.5, 7.5/10 at the most. Also, I saw it in the IMAX theater, but when Part 2 comes out, I think I'll just wait for the bluray/4k disk instead.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like the spaceship shots are kinda important to the mood- you do need to convey the power of the forces at work, the mammoth machines dwarfing the men that control them and all.

I do find it curious that Paul never says the "I must not fear" speech- it's Jessica both times. Odd choice.

The next movie is going to open up with Paul declaiming the litany over a montage of him training fremen

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
This movie just felt like how I always imagined it from the book. I enjoyed everything about it. Having watched it on HBO Max and IMAX, it's dramatically more detailed in the theater. Absolutely delivered for me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought this movie was not good. I don't think anyone would've thought it was good, or even made sense as a movie, if it weren't for our cultural relationship with the novel. I felt pretty bored at the end.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

As a big Dune fan I loved it, it's pretty much just what I wanted out of an adaptation. I watched the Lynch one years ago with very lukewarm feelings, and I tried watching again months ago for yucks and I couldn't even get through it, it's true to the book in some very bad ways, like terrible dialogue. I really liked tons of the little details in this one, and while it's a shame they couldn't hit on every part of what's going on in Dune, that's the nature of film. I think they did a great job in choosing what to adapt right from the book, what to alter, and what to leave out to make a better movie for 2021. My biggest hope for the movie was fulfilled in that Jessica would get explored better. She's so important in the book yet I still felt like I was never able to learn who she was as a human, and Rebecca Ferguson nailed the part and scenes like the gom jabbar really worked for me in establishing who Jessica is rather than simply the things she does throughout the events of the book. I'm sure it's going to be polarizing, just like the book is, but I really like it and it lived up to my reasonably high expectations coming off of Villeneuve's previous movies.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Been said a hundred times already but this movie has some serious drip, goddamn

I want that fit so bad, I can't have it and it's killing me inside :(

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Muad'dib gives drip to the dead

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

absolutely loving great movie, holy poo poo

incredibly well done adaptation and really liked that I got the feel of this magistral religious grandiosity from the screen just like when I read the book, loved it

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

So with it so far into the future I liked how much of the architecture looked like it was built in the future but also ancient at the same time.

One of the bits that really struck me was the palace on Caladan having no artificial lighting at all, just those floating light drones. It struck me as actually making perfect sense when engineering for truly absurd timescales given the tech level: instead of running wiring that's going to be guaranteed to be outdated in a hundred or five hundred years, you just put anything big and electrical on a floating platform that follows people around.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

absolutely loving great movie, holy poo poo

incredibly well done adaptation and really liked that I got the feel of this magistral religious grandiosity from the screen just like when I read the book, loved it

Same. It really beat my expectations. The story was laid out and exposited better than I think it possibly could've in a film.

It looked and sounded incredible, I loved the atmosphere, the mix of old earth and new tech and general future weirdness. It's been too long since we've really gotten weird in a sci fi movie.

I wish there was even ten spare minutes to talk about space travel and show more of the guild ships. There's almost nothing on the trip over to Arrakis, they just show up. But what can you do, there's no time.

They cut part one at the exact part I thought they should after Paul's duel with the fremen challenger but in hindsight, that makes it feel a bit like a movie and a half. But again, unless we'd been blessed with three Dune movies, what can you do? I guess we'll be lucky to even get part 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Roadie posted:

One of the bits that really struck me was the palace on Caladan having no artificial lighting at all, just those floating light drones. It struck me as actually making perfect sense when engineering for truly absurd timescales given the tech level: instead of running wiring that's going to be guaranteed to be outdated in a hundred or five hundred years, you just put anything big and electrical on a floating platform that follows people around.

One of the things that struck me afterwards was zero mention of atomics. I think that was a really good move and the mere suggestion that at the end of the day these far-future guys rely on old-fashioned nukes as the ultimate weapon would have completely ruined the theme of their technology being incomprehensibly advanced and different to anything we know. Also why I very much disagree with complaints that we didn't get more exposition dumping on how everything in this setting works - it's utterly unimportant for the story and would have ruined the atmosphere.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

stripping out all the politics and mysticism doesn't seem unimportant

what we've gotten is a fairly leaden journey of a hero - they didn't even bother setting up leto as more of a tragic figure

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The politics is pretty much all there, DV just scaled back the plots so that it isn't an unironic version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngCg_ES4ApY

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
There's this bizarrely ill-fitting bit of percussion in the score repeated a dozen times throughout the movie that makes me laugh my rear end off every single time. It seriously sounds like someone stumbled over a milk crate in a pantry making an avalanche of pots and pans fall all over their head from the shelves. It's an absolutely ridiculous sound effect. Thanks Hans Zimmer for lightening things up a bit for me in this dour drag of a movie!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

You ever been on Space Mountain at Disney World, and there's that part at the end of the ride where, after careening through the stars and scaffolds of the final frontier, they take a gift shop photo outta nowhere that BLINDS everybody stationed in the little rocket carts?

That is how I felt every time the MC got hit with a vision. Yeah sure, the audience has been bathed in darkness for half an hour, time to cut to a shot dead center of the sun.

My poor retinas got kicked in their optic balls :byodood:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Glad to say the film mostly met my expectations.

Loved the aesthetic. It didn't approach Lynchian levels of weirdness, but there's definitely an otherworldly vibe in a lot of the shots. Sardaukar was an especially impressive set-piece.

The liquefaction of the sand presaging a sand worm was an especially nice touch. As someone said above, it gives you the information that the worms vibrate (or emit a sonic frequency) so they don't tunnel through the sand, but swim it as if it were a fluid.

Really hoping we get an announcement that the sequel is greenlit. A lot of coy winks from the studio head, but nothing official yet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The coy winks mean nothing, they can't say 'no we've already decided no part 2' because a whole bunch of people would decide not to watch the film they've already made off the back of that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alchenar posted:

The coy winks mean nothing, they can't say 'no we've already decided no part 2' because a whole bunch of people would decide not to watch the film they've already made off the back of that.

True. I thought I had worded things so that it was obvious that all the winks mean poo poo. That's why I'm hoping for an official announcement.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Unrelated, I love love loved this movie. Nearly perfect, very hyped for part 2. One small quibble is that I'm a little disappointed they didn't work the "slow blade pierces the shield" thing better into Duncan's fight scenes. For the moments they explain it, it happens, sure, but then in an actual fight they just kinda stab at normal speed. It would have been fun to really see them fully choregraph a fighting style where the killing blow has to be slow.

Although it's also possible they knew that and made the decision to just handwave it because it would have bogged down the fight scenes, which I guess I understand if so

Rated R Dune would have had a scene like the stabbing scene from Saving Private Ryan to show off the armor shields.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Alchenar posted:

They can just say nothing, or "we'll wait and see".

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
movie's good

https://twitter.com/mayzierita/status/1451957628419014656

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

They used computers to calculate the FTL jumps before spice.

Computers are banned by the time of the Dune book.

Defiance Industries posted:

There was also a period after computers but before spice where space travel was just... extremely loving dangerous.
According to the Dune Encyclopedia, which is the closest thing to another Dune book that we have, and which Frank Herbert gave his approval of (subject to future changes he wanted to make, according to the foreword), space travel exists between 14100 and 13600 years Before Guild, and the first melange-guided journey through hyperspace is only some 25 years after the Butlerian Jihad.

Arglebargle III posted:

So that's how the ecosystem works on Arrakis.
To add to this, it has been theorized in the other thread that melange itself is a fungus produced by the sandtrout, that the fungus grows in that water because the sandtrout exist to bind water as they're described as being attracted to running water, and that it's the fungus that produces the carbon dioxide causing the spice blow.

Alan Smithee posted:

That is a question that not even Leto II can see the answer to.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

In the book it's not just the year ~10,000, but the year ~10,000 after humanity worked out warping around via the guild. So with it so far into the future I liked how much of the architecture looked like it was built in the future but also ancient at the same time.

I liked the giant throw rug on the ramp of the one landing craft.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
About what I expected from Hollywood these days with more time spent on beautiful, sometimes self important visuals at the expense of plot and story.

I found myself occasionally explaining important parts to my wife like why spice is so important (beyond the blink and you'll miss it exposition) and the motivations behind the Emperor and Harkonnens wanting to kill the Atreides. And while the reason why the reverend mother was pissed at Jessica was explained adequately, I felt we only get the barest touch on Jessica and Leto's tragic sin ("I should have married you"). Given the end-to-end series of pain and tragedy in the book, that's one of the few bright spots that should have had a spotlight.

There's also barely any "world". Caladan was just an palace outpost and not near a major city where they could have further used the smart preamble to the book events to explain how beloved the Duke/Atreides are to the people he rules? And contrast that to how the Harkonnens treat people either in Arakis or Geidi Prime. If humanity is just factions of soldier-gangs all the way down...gently caress the Golden Path; I don't see a humanity worth saving.

Overall, I don't see how most audiences will latch on to "cut scene: the movie". This book would work much better in this day and age as a streaming series instead of a multipart movie.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The film repeatedly shows spice triggering Paul's visions and he has a whole conversation with Jessica about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

GORDON posted:

I liked the giant throw rug on the ramp of the one landing craft.

I like that the ramp is at a solid 45* grade:

https://imgur.com/De1u4ml