Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Do not get frame bindings. I had a friend last year that put frames on his skis. Lasted 1 day and bought tech bindings.

Day Wreckers, an even worse option that frame bindings.

Agree that I wouldn't want to ride tech bindings in a resort. My GF used to do it and just hated it so much. She probably has close to 100 days on a pair of shifts now and they are fine. not ideal for pure backcountry but fine. I probably have 40 days on mine. Again fine.

If I was buying bindings that I had to use everywhere today though it would be the ATK Freeraider 14 or the fristchi tecton 12, then the shift.

Any particular reason for the ATK over Moment Voyager? Last time I was at their factory I got my ear worn out listening to all the details that went into it and TBH it was pretty compelling. Lower ramp, freeride spacer for a more solid connection , and some other difference I’ve forgotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Any particular reason for the ATK over Moment Voyager? Last time I was at their factory I got my ear worn out listening to all the details that went into it and TBH it was pretty compelling. Lower ramp, freeride spacer for a more solid connection , and some other difference I’ve forgotten

Didn't realize it was much different than the ATK since it is made by/with them. Looks cool though.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I would totally recommend frame bindings for a beginner plus newbie BC setup that'll be split at the resort. Yes they're heavier than tech bindings, but they're going to be better/safer for resort skiing on groomers, cost chunk less (to spend on nice boots), and the weight really doesn't matter that much if you're just sticking to mellow stuff and not chasing maximum vert.

Plus, they'll be better if you end up hating doing BC stuff and just want to stick to resorts.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Well I had a nice chat with a guy at the local ski shop, and apparently they schedule 90 minute (!!) personal appointments for boot fitting so I'll be doing that in a week. I'm leaning towards the Salomon shift bindings tbh, based on more reading and talking to the shop guy about my use case. I'll also get skins there and a helmet.

My BD flick-lock trekking poles actually came with baskets for snow, but I lost them long ago... would it be crazy to use those for ski poles if I can get replacement baskets?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

alnilam posted:

My BD flick-lock trekking poles actually came with baskets for snow, but I lost them long ago... would it be crazy to use those for ski poles if I can get replacement baskets?

That is what everyone i know uses. The only issue is the straps on the ones you have may hold water. The snow specific ones don't. But you don't need straps.

Master_Odin posted:

I would totally recommend frame bindings for a beginner plus newbie BC setup that'll be split at the resort. Yes they're heavier than tech bindings, but they're going to be better/safer for resort skiing on groomers, cost chunk less (to spend on nice boots), and the weight really doesn't matter that much if you're just sticking to mellow stuff and not chasing maximum vert.

Plus, they'll be better if you end up hating doing BC stuff and just want to stick to resorts.

I get what you are saying but frames are just so bad. The pivot point is so off that even mellow tours are a slog. I think they are only ok for out the resort gate skiing with a small amount of skinning to get back. But then you still have a frame and it doesn't flex right while skiing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

alnilam posted:

You can, but I’d recommend against it. I used trekking poles for a few years until I fell into one and snapped it in half. I think you’re more likely to put the occasional lateral load on a pole while skiing that trekking poles aren’t built for. The BD Traverse ski poles are burlier, and have niceties like rubber grips for when you’re traversing/need to quickly choke up.

Ski chat: Anyone have strong opinions about the Moment Wildcat or Deathwish for a 50/50 in/out freeride ski?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 24, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Didn't realize it was much different than the ATK since it is made by/with them. Looks cool though.

Yeah I didn’t either until I had that chat, and I rode a pair all last winter

waffle enthusiast posted:

Ski chat: Anyone have strong opinions about the Moment Wildcat or Deathwish for a 50/50 in/out freeride ski?

I have a pair of wildcats. Only one day on them because I bought them in the spring. They’re heavy, thought I got the big ones. To be honest assuming you meant 50% backcountry (correct me if I’m wrong) I don’t think they’re well suited to that, and wouldn’t expect the death wish to be either. Unless you’re asking about the touring variants of either, which I think would be much better for that. I’ve also got the wildcat tour 108 and like them a lot.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Steve French posted:

I have a pair of wildcats. Only one day on them because I bought them in the spring. They’re heavy, thought I got the big ones. To be honest assuming you meant 50% backcountry (correct me if I’m wrong) I don’t think they’re well suited to that, and wouldn’t expect the death wish to be either. Unless you’re asking about the touring variants of either, which I think would be much better for that. I’ve also got the wildcat tour 108 and like them a lot.

Yeah. I’m looking for a bit of a quiver of one at the moment, but may fill it out with a dedicated inbounds pair of skis soon. I’m coming off an ancient pair of Nomad RKRs that are a bit too long and a bit too heavy. Other than that, I love ‘em for how playful they are. Sounds like the tours could be a good option.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

I get what you are saying but frames are just so bad. The pivot point is so off that even mellow tours are a slog. I think they are only ok for out the resort gate skiing with a small amount of skinning to get back. But then you still have a frame and it doesn't flex right while skiing.

Frame bindings are far inferior but if you don't know the difference, they're not as bad. It has been a long time but I've done some massive tours on heavy rear end frame bindings.

However - once you try tech bindings, it's over. You will want to buy some immediately and once you do you will never go back.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah. I’m looking for a bit of a quiver of one at the moment, but may fill it out with a dedicated inbounds pair of skis soon. I’m coming off an ancient pair of Nomad RKRs that are a bit too long and a bit too heavy. Other than that, I love ‘em for how playful they are. Sounds like the tours could be a good option.

I’d suggest contacting Moment and seeing what they’ve got to say. They’re a small operation and have been super friendly and helpful anytime I’ve talked with them

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I would just use the trekking poles. Off brand replacement snow baskets are super cheap, like $10/pair. They are definitely not as nice as the bd baskets though - they spin constantly and are made out of worse plastic.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Steve French posted:

I’d suggest contacting Moment and seeing what they’ve got to say. They’re a small operation and have been super friendly and helpful anytime I’ve talked with them

I wound up rolling down to Bentgate and picking up the Wildcat Tour 174 (I’m 5’8” 160 so hoping that’s about right — I’m now doing the obsessive “did I pick the right length” thing).

Interestingly the 108 underfoot looks to be almost narrower than the Nomad’s listed 105. Pretty stoked to have some new skis finally.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I wound up rolling down to Bentgate and picking up the Wildcat Tour 174 (I’m 5’8” 160 so hoping that’s about right — I’m now doing the obsessive “did I pick the right length” thing).

Interestingly the 108 underfoot looks to be almost narrower than the Nomad’s listed 105. Pretty stoked to have some new skis finally.

Nice! Did you get the new model?

I like the top sheet more than mine from last year

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Steve French posted:

Nice! Did you get the new model?

Ayup! They look pretty slick. Very excited to get out on ‘em.

edit: I did almost pick these up because of the top sheet.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 24, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
the trout skis are sick

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That’s an amazing topsheet

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A huge reason I don't want to get rid of my Rocker 2's is the top sheet. just so nice.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Anyone use Apex boots? Friends recommend them for resort skiing if you plan on walking around after.

https://www.apexskiboots.com/blogs/the-system/two-part-ski-boot-system

Not sure if theyre safe or not if I go ski double blacks.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They are definitely not very good from a stiffness perspective, I would never recommend them for serious skiers.

In other news I went and toured around Alta on Saturday as it dumped about six inches of new snow. It was pretty awesome, dense enough to pack in but light enough to provide a nice surfy feel. Didn't feel the bottom once. My wife lost a tail clip but the day was otherwise a total success.

Anybody got any tips on making sure black diamond tail clips stay on?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bad boys for life posted:

Anyone use Apex boots? Friends recommend them for resort skiing if you plan on walking around after.

https://www.apexskiboots.com/blogs/the-system/two-part-ski-boot-system

Not sure if theyre safe or not if I go ski double blacks.

They are for old people to ride around on blues.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pretty sure if you want to be comfortable while walking when you're done skiing you're gonna want snowboard boots.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Don’t people wear shoes or boots to the mountain? How do you end up at a ski resort with only ski boots to walk around in?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Because my shoes are all the way in the back of the parking lot in my car

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

So drop them in the lodge before you start the day. Wouldn’t you have to go in to stash the exoskeleton ankles before you hit the clubs?

I am not the target demo for these things so I’m probably not being fair. I don’t have much experience at resorts where there’s a lot to do at the end of the day besides getting in the car and going home.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If you care about walking comfort stop being a scrub and learn to tele for possibly the worst reason.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Torrential rain in LA. This usually means the mountains are getting dumped on.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I heard whispers of powder in the west? Is it time to follow this thread again?

I'm thinking of stopping by taos on the way back from Thanksgiving.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Krataar posted:

I heard whispers of powder in the west? Is it time to follow this thread again?

I'm thinking of stopping by taos on the way back from Thanksgiving.

There’s snow but I dunno about powder… maybe somewhere that got a much colder storm

I was gonna ski this afternoon instead of working because my power was out… then it came back on the moment I finished lunch. Damnit.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Somehow living in Texas has made me miss this. Is the skiing ok in the blue ridge mountains?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Maybe I'm just a weeb but Capita is killing it with the 90s anime aesthetic

Feels like some Cool Boarders 2 poo poo

Also I really don't need another board but the Salomon Dancehaul is calling me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like Mammoth only ended up with about a foot at the base out of that storm, maybe it started out as rain.

Not sure if that’s worth heading up for the opener this weekend, guess I have a couple days to decide.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I think I'm going hit up the white strip of death at Keystone tomorrow. I figure if I hit enough rocks I can justify a new board.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone have experience with wide snowboard boots? Been wearing an 8 or 8.5 but after measuring my feet looks like I should be in a 7 wide, which makes sense since I always get bad foot pain after a few runs and have to loosen the lower laces or take a break and take off my boots. Waiting on a couple pairs ordered online with free returns since I can't find any in a local shop, did try on some regular size 7's and they were tight on the top of my foot.

What should I be looking for fit-wise since I can't take them out on the slopes?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have pretty wide (and large in general) feet, like wide size 13/14.

I found after much trial and error that 32 boots (lashed, tm2, tm3) seem to be much better fitting for wider feet.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Yeah, I got a pair of 32 Lashed and Burton Ruler Wides on the way, planning on returning one or both. Went to a local shop and the only 7 they had was a Vans boot which was painful on the top of my foot and the guy in the shop told me that 32s run narrow, but I'll be the judge of that when they ship here.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

Yeah, I got a pair of 32 Lashed and Burton Ruler Wides on the way, planning on returning one or both. Went to a local shop and the only 7 they had was a Vans boot which was painful on the top of my foot and the guy in the shop told me that 32s run narrow, but I'll be the judge of that when they ship here.

Try Adidas. They seem to run pretty wide. Also Burton has actual wide sizes but they're meant for FREAKS with EEE wide feet.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

Try Adidas. They seem to run pretty wide. Also Burton has actual wide sizes but they're meant for FREAKS with EEE wide feet.

I think I'm one of those FREAKS tho, size 7 length, 4" width seems to put me right in freak city

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

32's were too narrow for me and I ended up with Vans.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I tried on adidas boots once in "my size" and my heels wouldn't stay locked in when just walking so yeah they run big that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Varg posted:

I tried on adidas boots once in "my size" and my heels wouldn't stay locked in when just walking so yeah they run big that way

I find they fit true to size. Length hasn't been an issue for me but they are definitely on the wider side.