Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
PSU lost to Illinois in the most inept display of OT offense ever

Most of the other games were boring. Cincy and Oregon looked like poo poo for 3 quarters but eventually pulled away.

OU needed this wacky play to beat Kansas

https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1451989795119542277

Edit: Oh yeah Iowa State ruined Oklahoma State's perfect run and the dream of an undefeated Bedlam

https://twitter.com/tomh1138/status/1452073614023479301

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This is an all-timer thread title holy poo poo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rocky Top deez nuts

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

This is an all-timer thread title holy poo poo

Credit to some dude in the GDT

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
respect a game that gets a higher OT than Tom Cruise

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Credit to some dude in the GDT

It was sportsgenius

Also Wake Forest isn't gonna be top 10 and both Notre Dame and Ole Miss are, and yes, I'm preemptively salty about it

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

:eyepop:

very comfortable game for the gophers. glad they actually showed up in the second half for a change! someone really needs to figure out why the gently caress PJ starts flailing the second the clock hits 2:00 left in the half though, it’s really obnoxious and eventually someone’s going to pants us when he does it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I can only assume Indiana saw the 9OT and decided to spare us the usual "Competitive for 3 quarters then collapse in the fourth" so anyone watching could go ahead and do something else.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

Most of the other games were boring. Cincy and OU looked like poo poo for 3 quarters.

This is an incredibly Big Ten box score for the length of time that it took.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want to face wake forest. that's where i live. i'm a wildcat

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PostNouveau posted:

Edit: Oh yeah Iowa State ruined Oklahoma State and the dream of an undefeated Bedlam

Thanks, I somehow missed this upset. Ok State can't have nice things, can they.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Wisconsin is playing Iowa next week and it's going to open up a wormhole of unwatchable football

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Ok how did Illinois do this?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I guess it was right to have Iowa State be the favorite in this game. I firmly believed the Clones would lose this one up until they kneeled it out, this is the kind of game we usually lose.

Campbell wins one against a good D, which is usually kryptonite for his teams. They were able to mix it up just enough to win. Clones still in the hunt for the Big 12 CG. Need to win probably every game but OU to make it. They’d still need help in that scenario, but I think Baylor and OSU will drop at least one more too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wow that thread title

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Hard to get too mad about a ridiculous game like that. The college OT rules didn't need that change whatsoever though, it's a big step down

No expectations for the rest of the year so no stress at least. Going to lose by 30+ next week, just try to knock off rutgers or maryland and go to the pinstripe bowl or whatever. How quickly a season swings

Absolutely shameful coaching display in every respect today, just absolute trash up and down. Also pretty much threw the rest of the season away starting a clearly still very hurt Clifford and then letting him take shots all game long. Team came out completely flat and there were pretty much zero defensive adjustments whatsoever after admitting 'yeah we didn't expect them to use 7 olinemen.' Can't run block whatsoever and Yurcich called an abysmal game. Definitely the worst loss of Franklin's tenure and probably one of the worst in program history, as funny as the game itself was. This is the first time I find myself thinking that if Franklin wants to up and leave for USC or LSU that, well, I wouldn't feel near as bad about it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lol that they changed the OT rules after that LSU/Aggie game went to 7OT to try and prevent games from going so long but did not account for Big 10 offenses.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
A week of stormed fields kicked off with the power house Coastal Carolina knocked off by professional giant killers Appalachian State

https://twitter.com/appstatesports/status/1451214350253965312?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Thanks, I somehow missed this upset. Ok State can't have nice things, can they.

According to Vegas it wasn't an upset, Oklahoma State covered ISU -7. I don't really get that line either other than just not believing Oklahoma State was actually good, which I was pretty much on board with.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i loving hate the michigan football team and i'm glad ohio state stomps them every year, how many Conference Divisional Titles have you jerks won? oh none? wow that must suck.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My dad passed away this evening. My love for college football is mostly from going to Iowa games with him as a kid, and I’m very glad that he stuck around just long enough to watch Penn State eat poo poo. gently caress a Nittany Lion forever and ever amen.

edit: the last game we went to together before he wasn’t able to go to games anymore was Iowa putting up 55 on Ohio State, easily the funniest game we ever saw in person

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 24, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hat game is going to be loving lit this year, i'm going to make a separate Hat Game GDT

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

My dad passed away this evening. My love for college football is mostly from going to Iowa games with him as a kid, and I’m very glad that he stuck around just long enough to watch Penn State eat poo poo. gently caress a Nittany Lion forever and ever amen.person

Sorry to hear about your dad. Thanks for sharing some cool memories with him on college fb

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1452084403618914304

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

DC Murderverse posted:

My dad passed away this evening. My love for college football is mostly from going to Iowa games with him as a kid, and I’m very glad that he stuck around just long enough to watch Penn State eat poo poo. gently caress a Nittany Lion forever and ever amen.

Ah poo poo, sorry man :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

vandals appeared to get a safety but the review booth's player was broken so they couldn't review the play

they still lost horribly and it didn't matter but still

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: the last game we went to together before he wasn’t able to go to games anymore was Iowa putting up 55 on Ohio State, easily the funniest game we ever saw in person

My condolences. Even though I am an avowed Enemy of Iowa Athletics, that game ruled.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Roasted Donut posted:

Absolutely shameful coaching display in every respect today, just absolute trash up and down. Also pretty much threw the rest of the season away starting a clearly still very hurt Clifford and then letting him take shots all game long. Team came out completely flat and there were pretty much zero defensive adjustments whatsoever after admitting 'yeah we didn't expect them to use 7 olinemen.' Can't run block whatsoever and Yurcich called an abysmal game. Definitely the worst loss of Franklin's tenure and probably one of the worst in program history, as funny as the game itself was. This is the first time I find myself thinking that if Franklin wants to up and leave for USC or LSU that, well, I wouldn't feel near as bad about it.

Low key, is his seat hot if it’s 8-4 this year? He had to throw Ciarocca to the wolves last year and that’s really telling to me. I watched every second of that idiot game and came away with the belief that it’s going to take a lot more than just coaching improvements to fix things.

If you’re missing Bielema using extra linemen and basing an entire game around stretch and weird counter looks, then I just assume you haven’t watched football in two decades. Like, that’s a detail that the Bamas of the world have a million guys in the back rooms looking for, just like at OSU or Oklahoma. It’s a failure of your scouting if you didn’t know it and a failure of your game plan that you didn’t have a look and a failure of adjustment that they gashed you and you tried nothing.

That brings me to Yurcich, who I think is a solid play design guy who is a very average play caller. Without a Gundy or Day/Wilson to curb him, he just doesn’t know how to run the ball meaningfully and starts to get reliant on shot plays for yardage because he sees himself as a home run guy and gets desperate when he’s behind schedule. Penn State has a terrible constraint game right now because they’re zero threat in the flat or running to the edge which means I can sit in any number of sky/max looks that ignore the flats. It makes you look great when it’s working, but it also means your offensive focus is just a cone shape away from the quarterback like you’re playing Madden 06. It’s also why Moorhead’s vertical system was so effective—he understood that shot plays freed up underneath space in the screen and flat game for actual meaningful yardage as opposed to just seeing it as opening thr LOS broadly. If a team can block the middle, Mike will push the ball downfield, ignoring that you could just jam inside gaps and drop 6-7 if you never have to worry about a check down.

Oh, and Pry remains the most overrated DC in college football short of Grantham. Dude just runs aggro pressure sets and gambles on his rotations but can’t figure out a run fit that works against a jumbo set within literally 5 hours of game time. Yeah, it turns out that weak side and overload happy blitzes where you’re playing man gets you hosed a lot again stretch and counter when you can be keyed. Greg Schiano learned that lesson a few times.

I’m going to enjoy Stroud putting 50 on this team next week. I never want to hear a loving word about Franklin getting them over the hump when his greatest accomplishment is essentially a result of tiebreaker rules and deep ball luck. I would hope they don’t trot Clifford out there because I don’t know that he survives that game, but Franklin essentially proved today he’s perfectly willing to gamble on that.

Oh also Ohio state is speedrunning 2014 at this point. I can’t remember the last time that I just straight can’t point to a tendency that’s going to stop the offense. They can run any scheme or any situational. The defense gets better with reps because they’re young and got zero burn in the truncated schedule last year behind the starters. I don’t know that they have the horses for Georgia yet, but I also just don’t know how a Michigan team that plays with its food and a one dimensional Sparty get in the way here and probably end up favored against any big 12/acc/pac 12 team by 10+ at current trend. gently caress Urban I hope we never call QB power in a tight game again.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I don't have much to add to what has already been said about the PSU game except that it was historically stupid.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i loving hate the michigan football team and i'm glad ohio state stomps them every year, how many Conference Divisional Titles have you jerks won? oh none? wow that must suck.

gently caress you the pain of those losses gets worse every year

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
I find it absolutely hilarious for burt to show back up in the Big 10 after getting his rear end kicked in the SEC for years, and just baffling everyone with mindgames like "line up differently" or "use an extra lineman"

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

Sorry about your dad. That sucks

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Brennan Armstrong for Heisman. Our defense/special teams are dogshit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Achernar posted:

I find it absolutely hilarious for burt to show back up in the Big 10 after getting his rear end kicked in the SEC for years, and just baffling everyone with mindgames like "line up differently" or "use an extra lineman"

Yeah. Especially in this new fangled day and age where you can watch a coaches entire coaching resume right off of Youtube. I mean, I know teams like UGA and Alabama have these huge operations in terms of support staff, but "how does he line up his players" seems like a pretty regular thing to scout. It isn't some esotoric stuff that took years to figure out, like someone figuring out that foot positioning is how you can tell if Big Ben was going to run or pass. This was just a breakdown of basic information gathering.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1452149219171569667

Mizzou and Vandy play each other next week. Kansas didn't look completely hopeless so they'll probably beat someone before the year is out. Indiana has Rutgers ahead of them.

:rip: Arizona

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
All I have to say is the unsportmanlike call in the Iowa State-Oklahoma State game was the most horseshit call and all the refs should be fired into the sun.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1452149219171569667

Mizzou and Vandy play each other next week. Kansas didn't look completely hopeless so they'll probably beat someone before the year is out. Indiana has Rutgers ahead of them.

:rip: Arizona

If Indiana’s backup and Penix are out against Rutgers I think they’re boned. Their other two options looked as bad as PSUs backup against Iowa.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rad Valtar posted:

All I have to say is the unsportmanlike call in the Iowa State-Oklahoma State game was the most horseshit call and all the refs should be fired into the sun.

I didn’t see it when it happened, but yea this poo poo is ridiculous.

https://mobile.twitter.com/overeact...-call.266966%2F

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I didn’t see it when it happened, but yea this poo poo is ridiculous.

https://mobile.twitter.com/overeact...-call.266966%2F

What's unsportsmanlike in that? Brushing his shirt after a TD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

That ref carries a rope belt so the kids can pull up their dang pants