Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
Liet Kyne's death scene was badass and the only way to do it if you're not going to go all-in on internal monologue exposition like the first half of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Alchenar posted:

One of the things that struck me afterwards was zero mention of atomics. I think that was a really good move and the mere suggestion that at the end of the day these far-future guys rely on old-fashioned nukes as the ultimate weapon would have completely ruined the theme of their technology being incomprehensibly advanced and different to anything we know. Also why I very much disagree with complaints that we didn't get more exposition dumping on how everything in this setting works - it's utterly unimportant for the story and would have ruined the atmosphere.

To be fair Vilenhue was face with either flimsy, technobable to justify knife fights or go because Hollywood cool. He chose the latter.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

The next movie is going to open up with Paul declaiming the litany over a montage of him training fremen

The movie will start with the taking of Jannis's water.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MrQwerty posted:

Liet Kyne's death scene was badass and the only way to do it if you're not going to go all-in on internal monologue exposition like the first half of the book.

idk i think they should have had her narrate some internal monologue about pre spice mass and sandtrout as she lay there naked in the desert

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I watched it again last night with a friend who has not read the books and he loved it. He seemed to follow the story just fine.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

fart simpson posted:

idk i think they should have had her narrate some internal monologue about pre spice mass and sandtrout as she lay there naked in the desert

Then being blown up for reasons not explained until deep in the second movie.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gohmak posted:

Then being blown up for reasons not explained until deep in the second movie.

he'll yeah

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alchenar posted:

The film repeatedly shows spice triggering Paul's visions and he has a whole conversation with Jessica about it.

They also literally have a scene that shows the Atredies looking at a gigantic field of empty shipping platforms and saying "if we can't fill these all with spice every 25 days the entire universe will hellfuck us in every hole."

I mean come the gently caress on lol

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Actually shocked by how much this seems to thread the needle between making this audience-friendly but also still feel like Dune. Actually if you asked me I would've told you there's no way this movie is general audience friendly, but I saw it with a group of non-nerdy not-Dune-familiar friends and all but one of them said they could follow it easily and really loved it. Normal people talking about the Bene Gesserit. What a time.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It's ok to just admit "I wish things I imagined from the book were here." Don't know why people feel compelled to dress it up as concern for non-book readers. You don't have to be 'objective' about this kind of stuff.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

conversely, it's pretty funny to see people bend over backwards to justify why stuff from the book shouldn't be in the movie

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1451926429982150658?s=20

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What are the chances of an extended edition

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Steve Yun posted:

Well I think if you've seen the end of the movie you already know the answer to that :wink:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I want the Snyder cut

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Weird how my wife, who has not read the book, managed to follow along just fine, enjoy it, and discuss the film afterward without me pausing it every 10 minutes to push my glasses up and explain to her why it's bullshit that they didn't explain CHOAM adequately

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Steve Yun posted:

Zero. Denis doesn’t even like putting deleted scenes on home releases.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
the only lore i think the movie needed to go into a bit more is how spice is insanely addictive and is basically super adderall and LSD and weed all at once. i dunno if i'd really have gotten any of that from what happens in the movie, unless i missed some dialogue?

particularly the whole "if you ever leave you'll die of withdrawal" thing. again unless i missed that

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Simone Magus posted:

the only lore i think the movie needed to go into a bit more is how spice is insanely addictive and is basically super adderall and LSD and weed all at once. i dunno if i'd really have gotten any of that from what happens in the movie, unless i missed some dialogue?

particularly the whole "if you ever leave you'll die of withdrawal" thing. again unless i missed that

Does anyone actually go through spice withdrawal in the 6 books?

Like all the Fremen are spice addicts and have a galactic holy war just fine.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

movie owned, looking forward to seeing it in the cinemas when it gets to new zealand in 2068

i have seen the lynch movie and read the book but both were many years ago and i only barely remember them, had no problem following the villeneuve version

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 24, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I don't think they ever mention that it extends your life, either? Like yeah space travel is important but the ruling class cares about it because they wanna be immortal.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Reik posted:

I don't think they ever mention that it extends your life, either? Like yeah space travel is important but the ruling class cares about it because they wanna be immortal.

i feel like this is mentioned in the bit where jessica says the spice is a sacred thing to the fremen early on?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Reik posted:

ohhhh yeah that too.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I read the plot summaries of the other five main books on Wikipedia and, uh, I don't think we need any movies beyond the second part. Seems like it devolves into Dune: The Clone Wars.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Cheesus posted:

I found myself occasionally explaining important parts to my wife like why spice is so important (beyond the blink and you'll miss it exposition) and the motivations behind the Emperor and Harkonnens wanting to kill the Atreides.

*taps wife on shoulder* that's the spice melange

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Anybody who doesnt want a God Emperor movie is a coward

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

shrike82 posted:

I want the Snyder cut

Dune: The Butthole Cut

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Can't wait for the 6th movie, myself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Anybody who doesnt want a God Emperor movie is a coward

I want Leto II to go through with his big fake dick joke.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The film exceeded my expectations in every way. Liet Kynes was such a bad rear end and the casting was perfect for every role.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i think Messiah would make a good movie, especially with someone like this behind it, but it would be a lot more of a talky movie

Children of is gonna whip rear end if we get there.

after that... *holds out hand and does a wiggling motion while saying "ehhhhhhhhhh"*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Weird how my wife, who has not read the book, managed to follow along just fine, enjoy it, and discuss the film afterward without me pausing it every 10 minutes to push my glasses up and explain to her why it's bullshit that they didn't explain CHOAM adequately

my wife read the book earlier this year and followed along even better than your wife did :smugdog:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rabelais D posted:

I read the plot summaries of the other five main books on Wikipedia and, uh, I don't think we need any movies beyond the second part. Seems like it devolves into Dune: The Clone Wars.

pack it in folks, the Dune expert has weighed in

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

david_a posted:

Zero. Denis doesn’t even like putting deleted scenes on home releases.

that's a shame, I'd love a 3.5hr lotr extended edition style cut from this movie. I loved it. the only thing I thought could be better was more characterizations for some of the characters and an extended cut would fix that. plus I just want more of the movie and be swept into it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Alchenar posted:

The film repeatedly shows spice triggering Paul's visions and he has a whole conversation with Jessica about it.

So the most important substance is just lsd? That only works on Paul?

Like I said before, they barely mentioned spice's connection to space travel or the lack of computers. The trip to arrakis would have been a perfect time to show that but instead it just looks like they flew from Caladan to arrakis the next planet over themselves.

I thought it was weird how empty this movie was. Is there a general population on caladan or arrakis at all? Might have been nice to have a scene of people walking through arrakeen, going through water markets, etc. This would drive home that yes, normal people live here, water is central to the way of life here, and have some contrast to the opulence of the royals. We only see a couple shots of the city and it's from a very removed vantage.

In fact lack of water didn't seem to matter. Everyone's looking pretty water fat and nobody's thirsty. The way the movie is shot it never really seems that hot out. Compare it to Lawrence of Arabia or something where you can feel the sun.

Caladan was just as empty and barren as arrakis, other than having water and being grey instead of beige. There could have been some nice contrast of being full of life and people before going to arrakis, but nope.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 24, 2021

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

stratdax posted:

So the most important substance is just lsd?

Like I said before, they barely mentioned spice's connection to space travel or the lack of computers. The trip to arrakis would have been a perfect time to show that but instead it just looks like they flew from Caladan to arrakis the next planet over themselves.

I thought it was weird how empty this movie was. Is there a general population on caladan or arrakis at all? Might have been nice to have a scene of people walking through arrakeen, going through water markets, etc. This would drive home that yes, normal people live here, water is central to the way of life here, and have some contrast to the opulence of the royals. We only see a couple shots of the city and it's from a very removed vantage.

In fact lack of water didn't seem to matter. Everyone's looking pretty water fat and nobody's thirsty. The way the movie is shot it never really seems that hot out. Compare it to Lawrence of Arabia or something where you can feel the sun.

This wasn’t a movie about the water markets. This was a movie about Paul. Paul is isolated from such things and so is the audience.

We are told that being out in the sun when it is hottest out is deadly as gently caress, so I wouldn’t expect much of the movie to take place in those conditions. We see the Arrakis that Paul sees.

I would have liked some interior space travel stuff, but the movie kind of goes out of its way to cut exposition like that, so it might have seemed out of place to give it for that particular thing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Well my wife dug this enough that she went out and bought all six books. I've only read the first one, at one point do they start getting turbo weird?

Weirder than normal I guess. :eyepoop:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

External Organs posted:

Well my wife dug this enough that she went out and bought all six books. I've only read the first one, at one point do they start getting turbo weird?

Weirder than normal I guess. :eyepoop:

#5 gets insanely weird and all other books beyond 5 are fanfic

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rule of thumb for reading the books is that they get progressively worse/weirder. You can stop at whatever point you feel like you have had enough and be confident in your decision because it does not start getting better at any point.

Definitely stop before you get to the Brian Herbert ones unless you are some kind of moron or sadist.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

RacistsSuck posted:

This wasn’t a movie about the water markets. This was a movie about Paul. Paul is isolated from such things and so is the audience.

We are told that being out in the sun when it is hottest out is deadly as gently caress, so I wouldn’t expect much of the movie to take place in those conditions. We see the Arrakis that Paul sees.

I would have liked some interior space travel stuff, but the movie kind of goes out of its way to cut exposition like that, so it might have seemed out of place to give it for that particular thing.

Oh well we're told, nevermind then.
One shot goes a long way. And did I say I wanted a movie about water markets? Or did I say it might be neat to see something like it in a background of one shot, so we can see how people live here. It's a movie after all.

I agree with this:

Cheesus posted:

There's also barely any "world". Caladan was just an palace outpost and not near a major city where they could have further used the smart preamble to the book events to explain how beloved the Duke/Atreides are to the people he rules? And contrast that to how the Harkonnens treat people either in Arakis or Geidi Prime. If humanity is just factions of soldier-gangs all the way down...gently caress the Golden Path; I don't see a humanity worth saving.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's a whole long scene where the gardener explains to Paul how much water it costs to keep the palm trees alive and how they are sacred to the local population despite the cost.