Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alchenar posted:

There's a whole long scene where the gardener explains to Paul how much water it costs to keep the palm trees alive and how they are sacred to the local population despite the cost.

Yes but what about the long scenes with vague middle eastern music showing dirty markets full of groveling poor brown people that Paul had any reason to go to that need to exist in this movie for whatever reason?

And for that matter, the scene showing what Loth Lorien looked like in LOTR was WAY too short, it should have described the tree way way more like the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Alchenar posted:

There's a whole long scene where the gardener explains to Paul how much water it costs to keep the palm trees alive and how they are sacred to the local population despite the cost.

I know.
Again, we're told, not shown. I should have felt thirsty through the whole drat movie. Or at least maybe felt like a character might have been. The fremen had some pretty well moisturized lips.

Like I said before, Lawrence of Arabia did this. Why do you guys keep coming round to this, it's just one issue I had.
Turns out when you strip everything away and streamline the movie, you leave behind a lot of details that show why things in this world are important or what people are talking about, and you're just left with a barren, brutalist, slog of a movie (with garbage, monochrome cinematography).

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes but what about the long scenes with vague middle eastern music showing dirty markets full of groveling poor brown people that Paul had any reason to go to that need to exist in this movie for whatever reason?

And for that matter, the scene showing what Loth Lorien looked like in LOTR was WAY too short, it should have described the tree way way more like the book.

cool post, totally what I said, not disengenuous at all.
Jesus.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 24, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I thought this movie was not good. I don't think anyone would've thought it was good, or even made sense as a movie, if it weren't for our cultural relationship with the novel. I felt pretty bored at the end.

Wrong.

I've never read the novel and my only experience is with Dune 2.

This movie rocks and I am hoping we get more.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The scene of the gardener watering palm trees with a ladle literally made me thirsty.

It was a way to tell AND show, and all at the level Paul would have experienced it. Isn’t that sort of the point?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
LOL goons going miles out of their way to nitpick a movie like this will never get old. I wasn't thirsty enough watching this movie hahaha

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The only thing they really bothered me was how lax the fremen were with their stillsuit and mask discipline.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

LOL goons going miles out of their way to nitpick a movie like this will never get old. I wasn't thirsty enough watching this movie hahaha

I am actually very pleasantly surprised at how many goons do like the movie!

stratdax posted:

I know.
(with garbage, monochrome cinematography).

cool post, totally what I said, not disengenuous at all.
Jesus.

Lmao your posts are boring slogs.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I've read the book 15ish times and watched it with three friends who have never read the books. We all loved it and couldn't stop talking about it after it was over. I think that says a lot for the adaptation and how successful it was.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought the movie was too dark in HBO and then in the theater I noticed that most of the desert scenes take place at night.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I watched the movie first in theaters, and have now watched it twice on HBOMax using two different screens. The kind of screen you use drastically changes how the movie looks. The "dark" scenes are absolutely gorgeous on the theater screen and on a good monitor, but are unwatchable on screens that are not up to it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I dunno why everybody got hung up on the water thing, it was just one minor comment in my post. But this is what CD does, they find one minor point in a general criticism, intentionally ignore the rest of your point, and drill you on it over and over until it may as well have been the only thing you said.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I watched the movie first in theaters, and have now watched it twice on HBOMax using two different screens. The kind of screen you use drastically changes how the movie looks. The "dark" scenes are absolutely gorgeous on the theater screen and on a good monitor, but are unwatchable on screens that are not up to it.

I saw it on IMAX. It may have been too dark (especially at the worm reveal scene, which may as well have been a solid black screen) but other movies don't have that problem. The lighting was naturalistic, so with everybody in drab clothes on drab backgrounds with drab lightning it was just draining.
I mean, if you have to watch the movie on very specific screens otherwise you lose all detail, than that's an issue with the movie. As contrast, BR2049 & Mad Max Fury Road, did not have the same problem.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 24, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1452292621104295936?s=10

Let’s get that sequel going, folks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Vintersorg posted:

I've never read the novel

and you post in yospos? what the heck

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
LETS GO DENIS

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

stratdax posted:

I dunno why everybody got hung up on the water thing, it was just one minor comment in my post. But this is what CD does, they find one minor point in a general criticism, intentionally ignore the rest of your point, and drill you on it over and over until it may as well have been the only thing you said.

The rest of your point included saying their beautifully shot movie full of gorgeous scenes had terrible cinematography, which is just the movie version of saying any video game has "bad writing". We're hung up on the water thing because its stupid and we're making fun of it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Beautiful

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

The thirsty comment was the least boring part of your post, that's why it drew the most attention. I mean that's clearly what you're after here so may as well be grateful.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

stratdax posted:

Beautiful

Oh drat, you found an ugly screencap, I am defeated good sir, carry on.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

outside of a couple shots that's the whole movie

Best shot in the movie was the sandworm swallowing the crawler.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

stratdax posted:

Beautiful

Bonus points for picking a visibly blurred/compressed image lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

stratdax posted:

So you didn't watch the movie then, no wonder you don't like it. You did it, you're the goon with the worst takes in the thread! You can move along now, your title is secure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

stratdax posted:

you should get your eyes checked, friend.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol a walking incarnation of the I Don't Like Thing meme

Denis Villeneuve: known for his visually ugly films

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i thought the movie looked great

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I thought this episode was garbage, personally

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I saw this last night and thought it was great. I read dune once a whole bunch of years ago so I have no idea how faithful it was or wasn't, but it looked stunning and felt far more fresh and distinctive than I'd have expected from a 60 year old property that launched generations of imitators.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

I saw this last night and thought it was great. I read dune once a whole bunch of years ago so I have no idea how faithful it was or wasn't, but it looked stunning and felt far more fresh and distinctive than I'd have expected from a 60 year old property that launched generations of imitators.

It was very faithful. They cut out some bloat and complexity that didn't really need to be there, made some minor tweaks to some stuff, but the plot was there exactly and hit the same emotional and plot beats. There were multiple instances of line for line dialogue, scenes playing out as if pulled straight from the pages.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Some goon cheering because they got all the politics out of his Dune haha.

Jfc

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Someone upthread mentioned hating it but I loved the loud percussive theme "song" that would play every now and then. It reminded me of the explosion scene from There Will be blood and that unsettling building percussion that plays throughout. It sounds so weird and alien and barely like music and it really fit the cold and unfamiliar feel to some of those establishing shots of the city.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Some goon cheering because they got all the politics out of his Dune haha.

Jfc

What? That's not what I'm saying at all. Yeah, the references to CHOAM and discussions about the Lansraad, plus the Count Fenring poo poo all were critical to the overall plot, yes.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 24, 2021

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You can introduce the landsraad later on. Kynes mentions it when she splits from Paul and Jessica. As for CHOAM - in a movie like this it can very easily become George Lucas' Phantom menace with trade disputes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

You can introduce the landsraad later on. Kynes mentions it when she splits from Paul and Jessica. As for CHOAM - in a movie like this it can very easily become George Lucas' Phantom menace with trade disputes.

Exactly. There was no need for any of that to really come up to get the plot moving and it was the right choice to make.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What? That's not what I'm saying at all. Yeah, the references to CHOAM and discussions about the Lansraad, plus the Count Fenring poo poo all were critical to the overall plot, yes.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people.

I don’t think it was you, it was a few pages back. Just happy they cut all the dumb politics, they didn’t get specific about what elements.

Edit: oh wait yeah it was.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Count Fenring is the new Tom Bombadil, lol.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
I personally think this movie would have been improved with 5-10 minutes of exposition on the corporate structure of CHOAM and all its major stakeholders. Villeneuve should have had a scene with the Duke and his men sitting in a boardroom as Thufir meticulously explains what every single great house in the galaxy wants. The shot would slowly zoom into an organizational chart and legal documents next to Thufir, where it would freeze for a whole minute, allowing the audience to study what CHOAM is and how it impacts the galaxy. It really was a missed opportunity and I'm honestly disappointed it didn't make the final cut.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Best shot in the movie was the sandworm swallowing the crawler.

ok so we've narrowed down your subjective concept of beauty to worms eating things

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I thought it was kind of funny how after watching this where people are drinking their own sweat and piss to stay alive in the desert, I watch the new ep of Foundation and the emperor is just like "we're building water machines on this desert planet so its all good"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

I don’t think it was you, it was a few pages back. Just happy they cut all the dumb politics, they didn’t get specific about what elements.

Edit: oh wait yeah it was.

Extremely not what I said. I said they cut some of the bloat that wasn't neccesary for the plot to get its point across. Read the words being put on the screen.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I thought it was kind of funny how after watching this where people are drinking their own sweat and piss to stay alive in the desert, I watch the new ep of Foundation and the emperor is just like "we're building water machines on this desert planet so its all good"

That show is utter trash and has nothing to do with the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

gohmak posted:

That show is utter trash and has nothing to do with the books.

yes I'm aware I've been to the foundation thread :rolleyes: