Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

AndyElusive posted:

I just unsubscribed to Buzzfeed Eons of Battle.

I couldn't take it anymore. Thanks for those handy early tips though, dude with the most punchable face in the hobby!

lol yeah that's one of the channels where I keep getting drawn in by the video titles and then just get put off by his bad takes. I think he was making sense with enough regularity that he didn't qualify for my no-go list, but yeah... I feel like it's gotten worse lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I liked EoB's focused tutorials & painting videos, but when he started filling a weekly schedule of 40K news and opinion videos, I was too saturated with his content. Maybe it was always this way, but he seemed to be hamming up his humor and reactions more and more, and it started distracting me from the actual video content. Still a decent painter, though.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

A friend gifted me a box of Rubric Marines that he won in a local tournament so I decided to take a stab at one yesterday. I'm liking how it's turning out so far!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Zenithal priming with my airbrush for the first time in a long time today; what PSI do you use for the white liquitex ink after doing black & gray stylenrez? And how long does that take to dry?

The label on the stynylrez bottles say 5-8 minutes and it's ready for painting, but obviously ink != primer

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I usually stick to 20psi for everything.

Airbrushed inks touch dry basically instantly but need a couple of hours to cure before brush painting over them or the wet paint and abrasion of the brush will damage it.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I finished up a Steel Legion tank

Magentised up the sponsons so I can swap the guns out

And gave is some :orks101: intimidation.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That subtle edge highlighting is really good.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Looking for some suggestions cause I'm bad with colour picking and also this is kind of a neat case:

I kept the screens/keyboard transparent because I want them to stay transparent. Looking to try and make them look holographic, I plan to use bright green as text on the screen, but I'm not sure what colour to try and make the holographic things themselves. I think they need to stay bright as I tried a holographic effect with a blue contrast paint before and it came out pretty dark and solid.

I only get one shot at this or else I'll need to reprint the model and that's a whole other ordeal I'd rather not go through so I'm looking for some suggestions! I've got plenty of different paint colours, inks, contrast paints. I'm just not technical enough to know how to achieve this effect I'm going for

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Have you tried thinning the contrast paint with contrast medium?

Also, make a test model that's just clear and try out different things on it so you don't feel pressured by the thought of loving up

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd use a white ink in the recessed areas, then clean it up after it's dry with alcohol on a q-tip.

Then Tamaya transparent green over the whole thing - the white in the recesses will show up as more opaque fields of the same color.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Looking for some suggestions cause I'm bad with colour picking and also this is kind of a neat case:

I kept the screens/keyboard transparent because I want them to stay transparent. Looking to try and make them look holographic, I plan to use bright green as text on the screen, but I'm not sure what colour to try and make the holographic things themselves. I think they need to stay bright as I tried a holographic effect with a blue contrast paint before and it came out pretty dark and solid.

I only get one shot at this or else I'll need to reprint the model and that's a whole other ordeal I'd rather not go through so I'm looking for some suggestions! I've got plenty of different paint colours, inks, contrast paints. I'm just not technical enough to know how to achieve this effect I'm going for

If you can manage it, airbrushing transparent paints can get a good colorful look. You can even airbrush colorshift paints for an interesting effect.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does anyone with experience in making your own water slide decals know if Acrylic Gloss Varnish will work as a suitable decal bonder once you've printed a sheet out?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Have you tried thinning the contrast paint with contrast medium?

Also, make a test model that's just clear and try out different things on it so you don't feel pressured by the thought of loving up

That would almost make too much sense! Unfortunately I'm out of resin at the moment. I could wait to pick up some more though

moths posted:

I'd use a white ink in the recessed areas, then clean it up after it's dry with alcohol on a q-tip.

Then Tamaya transparent green over the whole thing - the white in the recesses will show up as more opaque fields of the same color.

I actually don't have any white ink, though could I just make some with extra water or medium?

And with green text on the screen do you think a dark green would show up well over a lighter transparent green? Or should I go with a different color there?

Verisimilidude posted:

If you can manage it, airbrushing transparent paints can get a good colorful look. You can even airbrush colorshift paints for an interesting effect.

I don't own an airbrush unfortunately. Though that's something I'm looking at getting into sometime soon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ink is generally high-pigment and much "runnier" than paint. You could paint in the letters with thinned acrylic, but it'll be a little trickier and require some extra cleanup.

I'd definitely do a lighter tone for the on- screen images, since a hologram is projected light.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

What's this?

A box of minis from Germany?

A box of master copies of lilljonas duck adventurers?

A box of a lot of master copies of lilljonas duck adventurers?

A box of a horde of master copies of lilljonas duck adventurers?!

Super stoked to see these, Hagen Miniautres did a great job in making the molds. Out of 21 sculpts, only one could not be recast due to the pose. Now I need to clean these up and paint them ASAP, and then it's off to try to flog them. :P

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I almost suggested getting a pro to paint them, then realized it was you.

Can't wait to see how these end up!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

same. very strong King of Dragon Pass vibes from those duck people. I definitely want some!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

same. very strong King of Dragon Pass vibes from those duck people. I definitely want some!

KoDP and the Swedish RPG Drakar & Demoner (which is based on Basic Role-playing, which is based on Runequest so...) were my main influences for these, so it's not a coincidence. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

e: dp

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/22/this-father-and-sons-bastian-carthalos-hobby-project-is-pure-warhammer-joy/
:kimchi:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
For anyone that wants to give Badger Stynylrez another chance, they've got a special offer on the new-old formula, it's supposed to be $1 per oz, but shipping kinda kills most the discount.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Special_Offers.asp?fbclid=IwAR3ws3N3Vhw5VW38M6RMzvtG8siYXX0lmUNFcNe7wYLs7AP5knEbuexl9NY

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

For anyone that wants to give Badger Stynylrez another chance, they've got a special offer on the new-old formula, it's supposed to be $1 per oz, but shipping kinda kills most the discount.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Special_Offers.asp?fbclid=IwAR3ws3N3Vhw5VW38M6RMzvtG8siYXX0lmUNFcNe7wYLs7AP5knEbuexl9NY

So this is the new formula? Huge bummer that they changed it

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I bought a 16oz of black on Amazon on Oct 3rd and it’s worked fine for the dozen or so minis I’ve primed since I got it, absolutely no idea which formula it is.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Booyah- posted:

So this is the new formula? Huge bummer that they changed it

It's supposed to be a return to the old formula, or according to them a return to the old supplier of one of their components.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What better to paint during spooky season than the Lord of Death himself, Mephiston?

edit--- touche.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 22, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well for one, it's Orktober so... Orks?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted a squad of guardsmen. Gave these guys backpacks and shouldered weapons to differentiate from the other squads. No fighting here. The chill squad.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What's a good krylon/other store brand alternative to macragge blue spray?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

This guy was incredibly fun to paint and I'm pretty happy with how he looks. First time I did NMM, think it looks okay? Any c&c welcome.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
finally got around to finishing some more Cadians

this is not expert work but I feel I’m getting better, even if I’m not getting much faster

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Solid paint cover without any streaking or really visible brush strokes, I'd say you're getting good at it.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Radiation Cow posted:

This guy was incredibly fun to paint and I'm pretty happy with how he looks. First time I did NMM, think it looks okay? Any c&c welcome.

I love the cell shaded effect. I've always wanted to switch over to it for a style but then I never quite have the courage to commit. It looks cool.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reaperbones5/reaper-miniatures-bones-5-escape-from-pizza-dungeon

I'm not really into Kickstarter, but a friend just told me about this and that seems like an obscene amount of minis for $120 :staredog:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Radiation Cow posted:

I think it looks pretty great tbh! I have no c or c other than that, because I know gently caress all about doing nmm, but it looks good.

Anyway, been in something of a hobby slump the last couple of months, decided to get out of it by doing something fun but undemanding, so I did some gaslands cars. Thoroughly recommend it, the "models" are toy cars I picked up for 50p-£1.50 each, so zero stress about loving them up when I'm converting them, and the aesthetic is mad max, so any gently caress ups with the paint can be covered with rust and weathering. I went a bit OTT with the weathering, but I was having fun. Also tried a bit of freehand on the flame design of the pick-up. Did a bit of oil washing for the first time, and... Honestly, didnt love it. I think I went in a bit too thick (both in the consistency of the wash and the amount I applied), and I like the effect fine. I just dont personally feel like its enough of an upgrade from an ink wash to be worth the hassle of faffing around with white spirit and such. Anyway, heres the result;

Other thing I tend to do when working out of a slump is do some figures that are mainly contrast paints, mainly metallics, or some combination of both.

So; A Malifaux 2E Gunsmith

Some Metal Gamin

And this large lad is the Rail Golem. With him (and the Gamin) I tried to hit a happy medium between "keeping it simple" and "Big undifferentiated blob of gunmetal". First pass of the golem had metallic grey hands holding a metallic grey girder in front of a metallic grey torso, so I worked in some copper and brass on the body and arms, glazed some of the gun metal sections with Plaguebearer Flesh contrast and did some rusting on the girder. Good enough for government work.

Miss Step, an Alt model for Howard Langston. Honestly this one was part of a bigger lot, and I dont love the figure. I have a 1st ed metal Steamborg Executioner/Howard which is all round better looking. Got this one thrown in as a part of a bigger lot of models I actually wanted, and it got put in the painting pile rather than the "put back on ebay" pile entirely because its so spindly and fragile that its a minor miracle it made it through the post in one piece once, mailing it on to someone else would be asking for trouble. Thought I might like it more once I painted it but... Meh. Dont hate it, know it could look a little better if I push some highlights on the sin, but it does not spark joy so I'm moving on instead. Quite pleased with the scrap pile on the base.

Lastly the Grave Spirit Graveyard Spirit Restless Spirit which has gone through a couple of name changes depending on edition. Kind of like this gumpy little bastard for some reason. Gives a "I dont care if its halloween, some of us have work in the morning!" vibe.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So here are the first 20 models I've painted since coming back to the hobby. I took 12ish years off, and even then I was barely doing any painting so it feels nice to have an actual large chunk of models completed even if they're pretty simple.

Contrast paints are quite handy for painting novices like myself. A minimal amount of effort and skill can produce stuff that looks great at tabletop level. I'm pleased.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finally finished this big purple bastard

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

drat i really love how the green poo poo looks bioluminescent

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Spent the weekend painting up some of the master copies of the ducks. They turned out to be pretty painter friendly, since they are small and I didn't sculpt GW levels of details everywhere. I'm being especially careful not to make it look like there are details where it isn't through just the paint job, to make it as honest as possible for potential customers. I dislike when it turns out that a surface was actually just flat, but hidden behind free-hand shenanigans.

Much of the time was spent in disbelief, googling just how many types of duck there are. Expect things to get... weird as I progress.

A wizard and a tiny, tiny apprentice

A bill duck and an angry thug

Two thieves

A goose in shining armour and a handgonne mallard

I'll need to experiment a bit more with the lighting before I finish with these, this turned out way too harsh. But 8 down, 14 to go!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Sab669 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reaperbones5/reaper-miniatures-bones-5-escape-from-pizza-dungeon

I'm not really into Kickstarter, but a friend just told me about this and that seems like an obscene amount of minis for $120 :staredog:

Oh yes. Bones is legendary for giving you a whole bunch of stuff for a borderline criminal price. Their initial quality was awful but each iteration gets better and I've been really impressed with everything from Bones V. It isn't hard plastic, but it's worlds better than the D&D minis.

They're also just delightfully weird. I would never buy a swarm of attack chickens, a turtle paladin or a bunch of Bigby's hands but now I have them and they're kinda awesome.

They're probably coming up on the next one too and I'm sure it'll get mentioned here when it launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Also posted in the AoS thread:

The Burning Head