Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
It was the Google before there was Google, except they were just a search engine, not a huge company that wants to know everything about me.

I am very old. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I used Dogpile, Ask Jeeves and Lycos, but I for the life of me cannot remember when I switched to using Google primarily. It must have been pretty organic tbh

I remember Google when it was like "eh new search engine so what"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I used Dogpile, Ask Jeeves and Lycos, but I for the life of me cannot remember when I switched to using Google primarily. It must have been pretty organic tbh

Most people started using Google because it's plain white page loaded faster on 56k dial-up than the bloated poo poo that was Yahoo and others.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that was the one with the labrador, right?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Vakal posted:

Most people started using Google because it's plain white page loaded faster on 56k dial-up than the bloated poo poo that was Yahoo and others.

This. But before it I did use altavista

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
AltaVista was my first search engine, and the only other one I seriously used before Google was Webcrawler, because I thought it was Metacrawler. Remember the days when you learned about webpages through half-heard insane rantings from Linux club meetings in the 1990s? No? True

Yeah when Metacrawler came out it was like... Well, this must be the final form of search engine. What can be better than searching all the search engines?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Imma ask jeeves to suck my drat balls lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Nooner posted:

Imma ask jeeves to suck my drat balls lol

Many a high school male did my friend nooner

I think it usually came back with some snarky reply

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that was the one with the labrador, right?

Lycos, go get it!

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I was always fond of infoseek because it had a search within search results feature.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I remember a friend of mine using google in the late 90s/early 00's. I saw the mismatched colors and the stupid word and I thought to myself "What a piece of poo poo".

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I completely forgot about Ask Jeeves

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
jeeves, where art thou?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
hotbot 2 tha death

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Remember how googles motto is do no evil but now they have a shitload of contracts with the department of defense, work on drone technology for the military, and help the NSA spy on everyone

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Well What Now posted:

It was the Google before there was Google, except they were just a search engine, not a huge company that wants to know everything about me.

I am very old. :corsair:

i used metacrawler

i also used astalavista.box.sk :hehe:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Pookum posted:

Remember how googles motto is do no evil but now they have a shitload of contracts with the department of defense, work on drone technology for the military, and help the NSA spy on everyone

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Pookum posted:

They dropped that years ago

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I miss Magellan.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Seriously though the main reason we're so politically fractured now and probably headed for a civil war is because of the tailored search result algorithms and their descendants creating feedback loops that then grew into atomically sealed social media echo chambers.

Google for the first several years returned un-differentiated service so e.g. you could share a search query with someone completely demographically unrelated on the other side of the planet and they'd get the exact same search result (and ads). One day they flipped a switch and google started watching you back. All for your benefit, of course. To serve you results (and ads) relevant to your past queries and other internet activity that they at that point had only in a dim and vague sense started to track.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

IIRC Alta Vista was the first to have a video search, before YouTube this was a god send.

Vakal posted:

Yahoo user spotted :lol:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

hotbot 2 tha death

This is the correct answer

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

hotbot 2 tha death

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Vakal posted:

https://search.yahoo.com/ has been around forever

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://video.google.com

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Bula Vinaka posted:

i also used astalavista.box.sk :hehe:

holy poo poo yes

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I used to binge (which wasn’t a word then) all kinds of bootlegged BBC documentaries using Google Video

Google Video and Vimeo were great for this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I liked webcrawler

It had a cute mascot

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Altavista was great, way better than Lycos, Jeeves, and Yahoo at the time.

I also remember they had a free dialup internet thing for a while that ran an ad banner on your computer, similar to netzero. I used that for a few months in high school because my parents were too cheap to pay for an internet plan. I wrote some primitive javascript that would load a sequence of web pages in another frame every few minutes so I could walk away and let long downloads run, since it would auto-disconnect you if it thought you weren't around to stare at the ads anymore. This is the walking uphill both ways in the snow story I can tell the younger generation.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
coolsiteoftheday.com

Every day something cool, something new.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I was more of an Infoseek kinda guy

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

altavista.digital.com

It was the classy search engine. I think it was the fancy little background graphic with its name. And it had Babelfish. Excite and Lycos were OK. Hotbot was cool in that it let display 100 results at once, though the design scheme was butt ugly.

Dogpile was great in that it let you search everything at once, with the caveat that you were going to get repeat results because it displayed all the search engines separately.

I remember switching to Google not just because of its speed, but it was more comprehensive than the other search engines. Displaying 100 results at the time was also great because everyone else besides Hotbot did 10 or 20.

Bronze Fonz posted:

IIRC Alta Vista was the first to have a video search, before YouTube this was a god send.

Videos on my internet? We had screencaps in binaries groups on newsgroups and liked it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Save me altavista they've got cauliflower ears
And still I haven't seen the sun or moon for twenty-seven years
She wants to dance on burning bridges
Making patterns in the snow
Said I want to move to Mexico where everyone's a hero

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
remember astalavista

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Lmao, this guy needs a search engine. :smuggo:

I use a complicated series of geocities webrings to reach the information I need while surfing the world wide web.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I use AOL Keyword: "Billy Blanks" to find the data I need on the information super highway.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember some nerd rapestache teacher printed out a bunch of handouts about the advantages of google.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

spouse posted:

Lmao, this guy needs a search engine. :smuggo:

I use a complicated series of geocities webrings to reach the information I need while surfing the world wide web.

how did webrings even work. If you missed a stop, did you have to continue around the horn and wait for it cycle past again? Was there shortcuts to different parts of the circuit like in IKEA showrooms?

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Alta Vista also had music search and was good for finding people's hidden MP3 stashes in their old web 1.0 sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

how did webrings even work. If you missed a stop, did you have to continue around the horn and wait for it cycle past again? Was there shortcuts to different parts of the circuit like in IKEA showrooms?

There was usually a list of all the sites on a central page, managed by what I can only assume was usually a powertripping early internet user.