Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I know mercenaries is for suckers and rubes, but I really want to get the checkmarks on all the heroics. What are the best mercs to level up to make a "PVE heroic" squad?

I actually grinded a bunch of hours today while watching videos. I got the +fire team of Antonidus, Baron Geddon, and Ragnaros leveled up and got Rag's 7th task that gives him the +3 fire damage passive. These guys mow through Felwood6 even on heroic, every fight lasts 1-2 rounds.

The rest of my mercs are not so hot, I fell for the kripparian meme early and leveled up the 3 holy team which actually isn't very great at clearing the heroics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I have a genuine question about how the gently caress rarity distribution works in Arena, or more importantly, whether it has any. How I can play Warlock and hit the end of the draft without a single Legendary and only a singular Epic offered, then face first game against a Paladin with Zephrys and Tirion Fordring is bizarre to me.

Like, isn’t that the very purpose of a draft version of the game?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

IIRC rarity doesn't matter except for legendaries which are more rare. Regardless of that the system will always offer you a bucket of 3 good/regular/bad cards for every option. I think bucket quality is completely random so you can possibly get screwed by that.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Did the PC client get a lot more crashy with the Mercs patch? Have had 0 up until the recent patch, and have had 4 CTDs in the last 5 days.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shockeh posted:

I have a genuine question about how the gently caress rarity distribution works in Arena, or more importantly, whether it has any. How I can play Warlock and hit the end of the draft without a single Legendary and only a singular Epic offered, then face first game against a Paladin with Zephrys and Tirion Fordring is bizarre to me.

Like, isn’t that the very purpose of a draft version of the game?

on average the distribution of cards offered in a draft is thought to be about 79% commons, 15% rares, 5% epics, and around 1% legendary. So considering there are 30 picks in the draft, on average you expect to get offered a legendary once every 3-4 drafts.

That being said, of course there is nothing stopping someone from getting offered a bunch of legendary buckets in one draft if it's just their lucky day. The most I've ever got is 3, but I have seen some other people end up with 4 in a single draft. Not sure what the record would be for most legendaries from a single draft.

It's not a really useful way to think about arena drafting in the first place, because card rarity has almost nothing to do with how good a card is in arena.. looking at warlock as an example, you got Entitled Customer and Riftcleaver as the two epic cards that have really high win rates, but most of the cards that are really driving the win rate of Warlock as a class right now are commons - Demonic Assault (thought to be the best card in arena atm), Imp Swarm, Unstable Shadow Blast (also claimed to be the best card in arena), Ring Matron, Sinister Deal, Final Grasp.. if you get those cards in a draft you are laughing. Yeah it's nice to get a Ysera or a Silas as the Cherry on top of the draft, but it's not something you necessarily expect or need. Most times (at least for me lol) when I get offered a legendary bucket it's 3 bad cards that have no synergy with my deck.

at the end of the day though, Arena is not a "fair" game mode. The drafts are not meant to give everyone an equally powerful deck.

There is also a bit of survivorship bias in that alot of people just retire bad drafts rather than play the games out, or they retire if they start off 0-1 and their deck sucks. So you never see those people when you have a mediocre deck, and you end up playing against better than average decks from the start. Once you get to 3 or 4 wins alot of the decks you play will seem broken and it can trick you into thinking that it's what you'll get if you draft those classes.. like I've played against Paladin decks at 3 wins that had 3 bannermen, the silver sword, all the broken paladin cards.. then you fire up a paladin draft and get offered 20+ neutral minion buckets, no weapons and no bannermen lol.. That's just the nature of the game mode.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 25, 2021

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I made legend this month with clown druid, I think containing zero cards from the current expansion. Quite fun to play, strategic use of ramp to get your big hits off on the exact right turn is key.

Beats most stuff, struggles most with mage and aggro druid. I think the fact noone is playing it works in its favour as everyone expects you to be aggro or celestial.

Even got a rage add from someone who called me the r word, they were ~600 legend and I was d2, they emoted throughout the match as quest warlock, dropped all their flesh giants etc and were presumably waiting for me to concede until I put down a board full of 8/8 clowns.

### Clown Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Animated Broomstick
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 1x (5) Lake Thresher
# 1x (5) Moonfang
# 2x (5) Teacher's Pet
# 2x (5) Twilight Runner
# 2x (7) Strongman
# 2x (8) Cenarion Ward
# 2x (8) Guardian Animals
# 2x (8) Primordial Protector
# 2x (9) Carnival Clown
# 2x (10) Survival of the Fittest
#
AAECAe2/BAK80AOV5AMO6LoDks0Dlc0Dm84DutADk9ED3tED8NQD/tsDpOED5uED3uwDiZ8Erp8EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

GTO posted:

I made legend this month with clown druid, I think containing zero cards from the current expansion. Quite fun to play, strategic use of ramp to get your big hits off on the exact right turn is key.

Beats most stuff, struggles most with mage and aggro druid. I think the fact noone is playing it works in its favour as everyone expects you to be aggro or celestial.

Even got a rage add from someone who called me the r word, they were ~600 legend and I was d2, they emoted throughout the match as quest warlock, dropped all their flesh giants etc and were presumably waiting for me to concede until I put down a board full of 8/8 clowns.

I wonder if it's worth throwing a couple lunar eclipse in there for the aggro druids. If you can pick off the taunt mana cheat dude it goes a long way to dealing with them.. Doesn't take much to de-rail that archetype, just that key removal at the critical moment to buy a turn or two to get your big taunts online. I know with my Deathrattle DH it was a 80%+ loss matchup with the meta list a few weeks back, but when the felrattlers got added to the list suddenly it feels like I'm winning as much or more than I'm losing against druid.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Good thought, will give it a try.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

AMALGADON

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

GTO posted:

Good thought, will give it a try.
What would you drop for them?

I was running Questline Mage until I hit a hard brick wall at D2, that deck seems solved now, so I've switched to Aggro Druid but it's not as fun.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

What would you drop for them?

I was running Questline Mage until I hit a hard brick wall at D2, that deck seems solved now, so I've switched to Aggro Druid but it's not as fun.

My pick to remove would probably be Wild Growth, I mean the Celestial Druids aren't running it so it can't be that good in a deck.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My opponent and I both just found out that I can play the pirate warrior quest reward, get Rokara back in hand by triggering a Freezing Trap, and then play her again to get a second Juggernaut on board.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

skaboomizzy posted:

My opponent and I both just found out that I can play the pirate warrior quest reward, get Rokara back in hand by triggering a Freezing Trap, and then play her again to get a second Juggernaut on board.

Yep, there some lists running Brewmaster to do that without freezing trap.

canqued
Jan 18, 2020
If anyone wants an easy run to Legend with a deck that is deceptively fun, I humbly submit the most unoriginal deck I've ever bothered to Legend with:

Deathrattle Demon Hunter

I had a 76% win rate with however many stars Plat 5 or so got me from last season. I still think Demon Hunter was a mistake, but the class is growing on me since this is the only deck I have really enjoyed playing this season other than Quest Priest (A miserable 40-59, played almost entirely at the goof-around "safe" ranks).

Illidari Studies is such a clutch card. My favorite win was probably against a Celestial Alignment druid when I pulled a Felosophy off of Studies and then used the 1-off cost-fixing Raging Felscreamer to plop down a duo of 0 mana 9/9 Illidari Inquisitors.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

canqued posted:

If anyone wants an easy run to Legend with a deck that is deceptively fun, I humbly submit the most unoriginal deck I've ever bothered to Legend with:

Deathrattle Demon Hunter

I had a 76% win rate with however many stars Plat 5 or so got me from last season. I still think Demon Hunter was a mistake, but the class is growing on me since this is the only deck I have really enjoyed playing this season other than Quest Priest (A miserable 40-59, played almost entirely at the goof-around "safe" ranks).

Illidari Studies is such a clutch card. My favorite win was probably against a Celestial Alignment druid when I pulled a Felosophy off of Studies and then used the 1-off cost-fixing Raging Felscreamer to plop down a duo of 0 mana 9/9 Illidari Inquisitors.

Yeah I use Deathrattle DH when I don't feel like experimenting with other decks and just want a few wins.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
That deck's showing 29/30 cards for me. Also, what are the Blistering Rots there for, I'm not seeing a way to buff them?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Almost certainly those are supposed to be Devouring Ectoplasms and the missing card is the second Persistent Peddler

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Baller Ina posted:

That deck's showing 29/30 cards for me. Also, what are the Blistering Rots there for, I'm not seeing a way to buff them?

Just guessing, but 2nd Persistent Peddler is the missing card, and those Blistering Rots surely were meant to be the other ooze-looking card (Devouring Ectoplasm)

e:fb :arghfist:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

kickascii posted:

I know mercenaries is for suckers and rubes, but I really want to get the checkmarks on all the heroics. What are the best mercs to level up to make a "PVE heroic" squad?

I actually grinded a bunch of hours today while watching videos. I got the +fire team of Antonidus, Baron Geddon, and Ragnaros leveled up and got Rag's 7th task that gives him the +3 fire damage passive. These guys mow through Felwood6 even on heroic, every fight lasts 1-2 rounds.

The rest of my mercs are not so hot, I fell for the kripparian meme early and leveled up the 3 holy team which actually isn't very great at clearing the heroics.

This sounds like a pretty great farm comp. I'm guessing just level anything that increases AOE damage and dump coins into Rag's equipment.

I'm hoping for weekly/monthly style events for HS Mercs - I'm surprised how quickly my interest in the mode fell after beating normal Rag. I've even started to play constructed again :)

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Can I replace blackthorne with vectus in that dh deck

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

This sounds like a pretty great farm comp. I'm guessing just level anything that increases AOE damage and dump coins into Rag's equipment.

I'm hoping for weekly/monthly style events for HS Mercs - I'm surprised how quickly my interest in the mode fell after beating normal Rag. I've even started to play constructed again :)

I'd like to have Rag but I'd have to grind 3-3 1000 times in order to have enough coins to craft him so gently caress that. What are some other quick farming comps?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

gowb posted:

You could but you would be making the deck significantly worse, blackthorn is p much the most powerful card in the deck

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Someone just killed my Tavish using Demonic Project, which is a lot faster and more reliable than hoping for a Mutanus, at least if you're playing some sort of Wild Warlock. Going to need to fit that into my jank-rear end RenoLock lol.

canqued
Jan 18, 2020

Blasmeister posted:

Almost certainly those are supposed to be Devouring Ectoplasms and the missing card is the second Persistent Peddler

AnacondaHL posted:

Just guessing, but 2nd Persistent Peddler is the missing card, and those Blistering Rots surely were meant to be the other ooze-looking card (Devouring Ectoplasm)

e:fb :arghfist:

Yep, whoops.

gowb posted:

I'd try a 2nd Felsteel Executioner.

Vectus is too slow for early game face damage to setup inquisitors, and he doesn't do anything to augment inquisitors in the late game (turn 5+ lol). There are also a lot of lame deathrattles in the pool by the time you'd play him: 4 health restore, persistent peddler effect without any peddlers left in deck, 1 AoE damage..

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s a free BG hero skin(Stormwind guard Guff) in the shop

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

GTO posted:

### Clown Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Animated Broomstick
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 1x (5) Lake Thresher
# 1x (5) Moonfang
# 2x (5) Teacher's Pet
# 2x (5) Twilight Runner
# 2x (7) Strongman
# 2x (8) Cenarion Ward
# 2x (8) Guardian Animals
# 2x (8) Primordial Protector
# 2x (9) Carnival Clown
# 2x (10) Survival of the Fittest
#
AAECAe2/BAK80AOV5AMO6LoDks0Dlc0Dm84DutADk9ED3tED8NQD/tsDpOED5uED3uwDiZ8Erp8EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

sadly there was a wall of oracle taunt druis and quest / quest control warriors when i tried doing my daily quests... had to dust off the ol' quest hunter.

i've been having a blast with mercs (not with the pve grind aspect of it) so it's been hard for me be motivated to climb ranked again.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There's been an announcement with regards to the miniset: There will be an announcement this week

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

There's been an announcement with regards to the miniset: There will be an announcement this week

Think it'll come out on November 3rd.

Been saving my coins for it. Kind of pissed I spent 300 on the Mercs pvp and 1 additional mysterious stranger slot since that mode is not really doing it for me.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm okay with the little gold I spent on the Mercs. Just for the camp upgrades - though I didn't bother with the PvP one. I'll slowly go through the pve content, but it's just a good low focus game when all I have is my phone. Hearthstone and BGs I can't just go afk.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think the delay for the miniset gave me enough time to make up the gold I spent on Mercs.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm sitting on 9K gold right now, and I generally only bother to get 50-70 packs per expansion - I have enough dust to craft anything I want (I usually don't bother though). I've only been playing Ignite mage for ages, and it's good enough for my casual amounts of ranked play.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

I'm okay with the little gold I spent on the Mercs. Just for the camp upgrades - though I didn't bother with the PvP one. I'll slowly go through the pve content, but it's just a good low focus game when all I have is my phone. Hearthstone and BGs I can't just go afk.

Yeah I downloaded HS to my tablet because Mercs seemed like something easy to do while watching football. I'll try that on Sunday and see if I like it more.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
It's very funny to me that blizzard, with their fix, have made the new mode even worse.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boatswain posted:

It's very funny to me that blizzard, with their fix, have made the new mode even worse.

Yep it's pretty funny. Chinese players found a way to wintrade so Blizzard hotfixed it so if a person concedes before they've lost 3 or more mercs then the winner doesn't get any chest rewards...And now everyone just concedes once they've lost 2 mercs to spite the winner. And it didn't even fix the wintrading.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lol I went from D6 back to D10, guess I'm not going to make it to D5 this month.

loving sick of mages.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RatHat posted:

Yep it's pretty funny. Chinese players found a way to wintrade so Blizzard hotfixed it so if a person concedes before they've lost 3 or more mercs then the winner doesn't get any chest rewards...And now everyone just concedes once they've lost 2 mercs to spite the winner. And it didn't even fix the wintrading.
This is actually the dumbest thing I've seen happen in this game. They didnt even do basic analysis on how often people concede when 1 or 2 mercs are dead or what a big problem it is for a winning player to not get their rewards. Just crazy.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It's another classic example of Blizzard creating the community they have through design decisions.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Proposal: Wintraders have to play a few turns of the game to still wintrade.

Compromise: Put a built in grieving system into the game to deny all other player's resources.

It's honestly amazing.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I think that they just have no concept of player time as a resource.

Look at the long animations, the fact that no one wants to wait around to lose for no reward, and the fact that you get more coins for failing more bounties in the time that it takes to do a more challenging one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I don't even understand the concept behind Mercenaries PvP. It's a mode where the only variance is which of the equal speed abilities randomly fires off first so eventually every team will be one of the optimal comps and every match will come down to coin flips on Earthen Stomp.