Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for dark/bleak/sad movies set in the American South/Appalachia

Some of the stuff I've seen and am looking for similar vibes:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Neo-westerns are ok but I'm trying to avoid traditional westerns

Blood Simple
Sling Blade
One False Move
Shotgun Stories
Joe
(I'd also definitely second Winter's Bone)

Slightly further afield vibe-wise but still good, bleak and Southern set:
Angel Heart
Cape Fear (I'd start with the original)
Days of Heaven
Deliverance
Southern Comfort
Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Hud
The Last Picture Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

The Florida Project? As a Floridian I would argue that the whole state is in "the south" excepting only Palm Beach county and those further south.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

recommend me a movie where every actor on screen is dead in real life except for one.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Galveston.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The Florida Project? As a Floridian I would argue that the whole state is in "the south" excepting only Palm Beach county and those further south.

Everything above Orlando can be considered "The South."

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lpzie posted:

recommend me a movie where every actor on screen is dead in real life except for one.

Francis in the Navy is down to two. Give it a year or so and it should qualify.

E: The First Traveling Saleslady

You can probably find a lot more by thinking of the oldest living actor you can think of (Clint Eastwood, Betty White, etc) and looking up early films of theirs on Wikipedia. Expand the cast section and go to each actor's page to see if they're dead.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 8, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks for the recs everyone! lots to watch

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A couple of good unique ones are Cold in July and Killer Joe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

How about a slow burn drama or character study with great acting, ideally on a major streaming platform? Something like The Phantom Thread or The Age of Innocence, I'm looking for something more low-key than, say, There Will Be Blood

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Among contemporary filmmakers, have you seen anything by Asghar Farhadi or Kenneth Lonergan? Those two would be my go-tos

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I liked Leave No Trace and Can You Ever Forgive Me? recently and I think both are streaming

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

How about a slow burn drama or character study with great acting, ideally on a major streaming platform? Something like The Phantom Thread or The Age of Innocence, I'm looking for something more low-key than, say, There Will Be Blood

Lucky, starring Harry Dean Stanton

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Inside Llewyn Davis. Also plenty of dark comedy being Coens, but fits that a bit for me. On Amazon Prime.

And speaking of Harry, to keep this movie on every page or two, Paris Texas. On HBO Max.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

morestuff posted:

I liked Leave No Trace and Can You Ever Forgive Me? recently and I think both are streaming
Second one isn't streaming but the first one is. Thanks!

Kvlt! posted:

Lucky, starring Harry Dean Stanton
Added, thanks!

Heavy Metal posted:

Inside Llewyn Davis. Also plenty of dark comedy being Coens, but fits that a bit for me. On Amazon Prime.

Great rec, already seen it.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Barry Lyndon

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coaaab posted:

Among contemporary filmmakers, have you seen anything by Asghar Farhadi or Kenneth Lonergan? Those two would be my go-tos

Yeah, I was going to suggest Manchester By The Sea, which is an incredible and hard-hitting film.

Odd suggestion: Killing Them Softly

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Barry Lyndon is so dope, and chill. I love the movie.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Coaaab posted:

Missed this suggestion, I'll look into them. Thanks!

I've seen (and enjoyed) Barry Lyndon and that is a good suggestion as well.

I might also go for a rewatch of The Thin Red Line. Watched it 10 years ago and really dug it, although I know it's a divisive movie here.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

regulargonzalez posted:

Have you seen First Cow?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is there a best or definitive documentary about HP Lovecraft?

Preferably something that doesn't hold back on his lovely views/fears, how weird he was, and what inspired him to write.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have no idea about anything longer or more in depth, but here's a great short doc about his place within the science-fiction pantheon, framed on his relationship with Howard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnrcVZIK7M

It takes place within a great series breaking down the history of science-fiction and can tide you over until someone gives a better answer

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I have no idea about anything longer or more in depth, but here's a great short doc about his place within the science-fiction pantheon, framed on his relationship with Howard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnrcVZIK7M

It takes place within a great series breaking down the history of science-fiction and can tide you over until someone gives a better answer

That was fun and cool. I’m gonna check out more of these. Thanks!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What is something that's solid that it feels like only you (the poster) have ever seen.

I contribute His Master's Voice from 2018-ish

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FunkyAl posted:

What is something that's solid that it feels like only you (the poster) have ever seen.

Shoot the Sun Down (1978) is a cowboy movie starring Margot Kidder and Christopher Walken. I like it a lot. It is lean, mean, and elegiac. It pairs well with an earlier, much more popular but still relatively unknown Western, The Shooting starring Jack Nicholson and Warren Oates. They're both great understated entries in the acid Western subgenre.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Certified Copy. I'd rather not say too much but if you like Before Sunrise / Sunset / Midnight or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I think you'll really really like it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Nasty Girl (1990, DOP Axel de Roche), about a German teenager who starts delving into her town's narrative of what happened during WW2.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

FunkyAl posted:

I'll throw Zero Effect out there. I don't know if this fits entirely because this film got some small traction on release and landed on a couple of best of the year lists, but it has seemingly disappeared of everyone's radar since then and it's still one of my favorite movies. It's a mystery/comedy/drama thing and it's a load of fun. Bill Pullman is a weirdo Sherlock Holmes-ish private detective working on a case but in a modern day setting (as of 1998 when it was released at least). The movie is a minor miracle. The mystery is clever and effective, the drama is touching and provocative, and the comedy is very funny. Highly quotable dialogue too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Other than Star Wars, what other proper space fantasy movies or TV shows are there? Which I would define as movies where Earth or human beings from Earth are not involved at all, yet there are multiple planets and/or methods to get to and from those planets.

Krull comes to mind. Maaaybe Dark Crystal/Resistance. ThunderCats doesn't technically count but may as well. And the Discworld adaptations, I suppose. And, uh, maybe the Sonic cartoon where he has a robot uncle? But even most of those all take place on a single planet. Everything else I can think of seems to be set far into humanity's future, or involve an Earthling finding themselves on another world or stuck in deep space.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 25, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Other than Star Wars, what other proper "space fantasy" movies or TV shows are there? Which I would define as movies where Earth or human beings from Earth are not involved at all, yet there are multiple planets and/or methods to get to and from those planets.

Krull comes to mind. Maaaybe Dark Crystal/Resistance. ThunderCats pretty much counts. And the Discworld adaptations, I suppose. And, uh, maybe the Sonic cartoon where he has a robot uncle? But even most of those all take place on a single planet. Everything else I can think of seems to be set far into humanity's future.

Flash Gordon is a pretty obvious one with a contemporaneous setting. Zardoz, too, I think

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Flash Gordon is from Earth, though. But it looks like Zardoz might count! My memories of the movie are vague, but Wikipedia lists the year as 2293 which to me implies that it's Earth in the future. However, I guess I listed ThunderCats which has "Third Earth" which also implies the future so it's at least as valid as that.

e: The Pirates of Darkwater, I guess? At this point I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I am curious about any super deep cuts.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 25, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dune technically has Earth in the lore but I don't think there are any sort of references or mentions of it in either of the movies

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is Barbarella from Earth?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fantastic Planet
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

City of Lost Children?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

City of Lost Children?

Interesting! I haven't seen. Do they make any reference to other planets or spaceships? Otherwise that might just be straight fantasy.

Franchescanado posted:

Is Barbarella from Earth?

In the movie, at least. Looking up the comic I can't tell one way or the other.

FitFortDanga posted:

Fantastic Planet
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Fantastic Planet has astronauts from Earth, I believe. But Nausicaa seems like it counts! Post-apolcalyptic so it's possible that it was intended to be Earth, but ambiguous enough.

These are all great, though! Sorry if it sounds like I'm being nitpicky, I'm just trying to figure out how much of this stuff there actually is out there. One more I found is Starcrash, which makes sense that one of the more direct Star Wars knockoffs would follow the same model.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Other than Star Wars, what other proper space fantasy movies or TV shows are there? Which I would define as movies where Earth or human beings from Earth are not involved at all, yet there are multiple planets and/or methods to get to and from those planets.

Krull comes to mind. Maaaybe Dark Crystal/Resistance. ThunderCats doesn't technically count but may as well. And the Discworld adaptations, I suppose. And, uh, maybe the Sonic cartoon where he has a robot uncle? But even most of those all take place on a single planet. Everything else I can think of seems to be set far into humanity's future, or involve an Earthling finding themselves on another world or stuck in deep space.

Earth is never mentioned in Dune but I suppose it can be inferred from some remnants of the Christian bible that exist. And the fact that they use regular-degular first names (Paul, Leo, Jessica)

Efb

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 25, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Interesting! I haven't seen. Do they make any reference to other planets or spaceships? Otherwise that might just be straight fantasy.

No other planets or spaceships. It's a good (if slow) movie but it's a myth-fantasy in a steampunkish world.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Earth is never mentioned in Dune but I suppose it can be inferred from some remnants of the Christian bible that exist. And the fact that they use regular-degular first names (Paul, Leo, Jessica)

The movie also has bagpipes, bulls and references to "Idaho"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

As I said earlier, Dune takes place in a universe with Earth in it. It's canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hm. Does Logan's Run have other planets or reference Earth? Been a while since I watched it.