Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Randalor posted:

Serious answer to obvious joke question: they have some level of computers, just nothing "smart" enough to get to the point of possibly wanting to overthrow humanity. After all, how was Paul's pet lightbulb following him unless they cramed a human brain in there?

Actually, considering it's Harkonnans we're talking about, it could very well be that homing missles have lobotomized human brains in them.

You could kinda game it, the rule is you can't machine machines that think in the manner of a human mind.

Human minds can do arithmetic, but a missile guidance system is something else entirely. also humans don't emit light and follow you around.

I dunno, the rules may be a bit more specific than we think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrW_8M3xJow

Visually there's just no comparison.

The actual storytelling and acting are better in the new one, but for production design and sheer visuals, it's not even close.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Please see my earlier post about not responding to this poster. I think he might be a troll.

Saying that Villenueve's Dune might have worked better as one long film given WB's hesitation to secure production for the second film is probably the least-trolly opinion possible. I know there's a 95% chance Dune Part Two will happen, but if it doesn't, that will be devastating

whatever this is has been taken down by WB already! (at least in the US)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The lack of Feyd in the first movie has me wondering if Villanueve will bother with the post-battle fight between Paul and Feyd at all. It might work better to have Paul fight Rabban during the battle and then demand the throne from the emperor. The more I think about it the more the knife fight at the end feels a bit like the Battle of the Shire

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The lack of Feyd in the first movie has me wondering if Villanueve will bother with the post-battle fight between Paul and Feyd at all. It might work better to have Paul fight Rabban during the battle and then demand the throne from the emperor. The more I think about it the more the knife fight at the end feels a bit like the Battle of the Shire

It's open to go both ways. On the one hand we get early on 'there are other options', on the other hand every time we see the Baron its 'my planet, my arrakis, my dune' - no hint that there's any sort of generational game being played on his end.

So I think it was deliberately left open so a) they don't have to cast yet and b) they can decide if these characters even exist in this version of the story.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrW_8M3xJow

Visually there's just no comparison.

The actual storytelling and acting are better in the new one, but for production design and sheer visuals, it's not even close.
The production design struck me as a mix of Alien (which makes sense given Jodorowsky’s Dune) and Brazil which was released just a few months later.

I would argue a lot of it is Lynch being weird just to be weird. Villeneuve’s designs were a lot more reasonable.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You could put a moth brain in the missile. Like it just needs "if [condition] then follow." We don't know what that condition is, whether it's detecting the brightest visible light, heat, light at a very specific frequency that you'd see from a certain kind of engine, even vibrations from the ornithopter wings. You'd just need a moth brain and and provide it with the stimuli from a camera to think whatever it's supposed to follow is the moon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

There is a really high correlation in people commenting in this thread how they missed important details and also coming up with increasingly bizarre misspellings of “Chalamet”.

“I don’t know what’s up with Tomithny Skichalet, is he like a wizard or something? He doesn’t look like Grandelf tho.”

He's the pre-evolved form of Adam Driver

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In case you haven't seen it already, here's Villeneuve walking you through his thought process for the gom jabbar scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAA0sYkLI0

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

Love to see the same people arguing that the Lynch Dune was stupid or some such poo poo coming up with galaxy brained ideas like "the Baron should turn Yueh's wife into a spider and then barbecue the spider and then eat the spider"

This is the dismal face of the crimes the Villeneuve sycophants and sociopaths want to perpetrate on culture

idk what this post means

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

The 1984 version has some good production design occassionally, but it has plenty of stuff that looks like dogshit.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 25, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's a Kickstarter for the graphic novel and the Gom Jabbar tier is fuckin PIMP.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve never actually seen video of Frank Herbert before. Way more personable than I’d have thought.

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The 1984 version has some good production design occassionally, but it has plenty of stuff that looks like dogshit.

Every stage on Giedi Prime after Piter’s juice mantra looks like “the budget ran out” big time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding the Harkonnen, I don't think wanting All of the Money and living in a culture that prizes an appearance of austerity are mutually exclusive.

Yeah consider how Melania Trump did the White House Christmas decorations. I can imagine the Harkonnens having the same aesthetics as yuppies.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Polo-Rican posted:

whatever this is has been taken down by WB already! (at least in the US)

Ah it was a direct comparison of the Box of Pain scene from 1984/2021.

Josh Lyman posted:

The production design struck me as a mix of Alien (which makes sense given Jodorowsky’s Dune) and Brazil which was released just a few months later.

I would argue a lot of it is Lynch being weird just to be weird. Villeneuve’s designs were a lot more reasonable.

For me, a lot of it goes back to the question, "Is it plausible that these people live and work and exist in this place? That these (admittedly beautiful on the surface) vistas are actually used for their supposed purpose?"
I get that '84 Dune's production design reach exceeds its grasp, often by a lot. But Dune '21's hyper-sparse and oversized simple geometric layouts look more like storyboarding or concept art. At no point is it plausible to me that these are the places these characters inhabit, despite their appeal for sheer aesthetics.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Shifter posted:

Every stage on Giedi Prime after Piter’s juice mantra looks like “the budget ran out” big time.

It looks great. The brilliant green walls, fountains of crude oil, the whole thing being open to the air like some bizarre office layout/maze, it's a nightmare world.

The spider thing was neat too. It is probably meant to be some weird genetic freak the Harkonnens just bred for shits and giggles.

I do wonder if the filmmakers were concerned that making the Baron too opulent and flamboyant might play into the queer coding that's been in all other versions but, so this version is more animated solely by money and spite.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do wonder if the filmmakers were concerned that making the Baron too opulent and flamboyant might play into the queer coding that's been in all other versions but, s

Dude was absolutely a pedophile in the book with a preference for boys, but not exclusively. I am not sure why it gets tiptoed around.

edit: is Jessica being the product of rape a retcon from a later book?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's from messiah, but it's more of a reveal than a retcon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Randalor posted:

. After all, how was Paul's pet lightbulb following him unless they cramed a human brain in there?

You can do a surprising amount of automation with electromechanical systems. Maybe Paul has an IR light switch on his person and the drone just follows the light when it's turned on.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's from messiah, but it's more of a reveal than a retcon.

Nah, that she's the Baron's daughter is in "Dune":

quote:

He had seen two main branchings along the way ahead--in one he confronted an evil old Baron and said: "Hello, Grandfather." The thought of that path and what lay along it sickened him.

All other information is failson.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It looks great. The brilliant green walls, fountains of crude oil, the whole thing being open to the air like some bizarre office layout/maze, it's a nightmare world.

The green set looks like complete and utter poo poo. It doesn't look like a "nightmare" it just loving sucks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the early hype for this suggested it was a potential Fellowship of the Ring level juggernaught, and it isn't. So it could have been better.

Fellowship made $40-something million opening weekend, it was a comparative slow burner

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Stephen Henderson Wright talks about deleted Thufir scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFMB5FfBZU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What did you want him to do? Not make the movie?
I know a lot of people wanted this movie to be made and consider it a success (artistically), but this is worth considering.

Dune has already been adapted once as a movie and once for TV. You could just adapt a different book, or make sometihng original, rather than produce another adaptation of Dune that's awkwardly split in two.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's a Kickstarter for the graphic novel and the Gom Jabbar tier is fuckin PIMP.
Looking at the size of the cut-out, they know their target audience:

Steve Yun posted:

Stephen Henderson Wright talks about deleted Thufir scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFMB5FfBZU
I hope it's not too much to ask that you link the actual interview instead of some creepy text-to-speech reading in a youtube video? Because I'd like to ask for that, please.

Llamadeus posted:

I know a lot of people wanted this movie to be made and consider it a success (artistically), but this is worth considering.

Dune has already been adapted once as a movie and once for TV. You could just adapt a different book, or make sometihng original, rather than produce another adaptation of Dune that's awkwardly split in two.
David Lynch's movie isn't a even-remotely-faithful film adaptation of the book, it's the characters and other things that David Lynch thought would be neat according to David Lynch himself.

The two mini-series are a completely different can of worms, but the book needs a proper film adaptation.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 25, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I watched the movie without knowing anything going into it and I think I understood well enough what the director was trying to get across with the characters and the set design. My impression was that the set design was meant to invoke isolation and hopelessness for Paul and his family from the point they arrive on Arrakis. Like yeah it's completely unrealistic that there are like 3 guards in the hallway in front of Oscar Isaac's room and the rest of the palace is apparently abandoned with the lights all turned off, in reality in a palace that doubles as the administrative center for the entire planet there would be 24/7 activity and security checkpoints at every corner.

It's not "realistic" but it does help convey and reinforce the point that these people are completely clueless about what's really going on in this planet and the schemes that are unfolding around them, and it serves to enhance the continuously growing sense of doom that pervades the atmosphere from the time they arrive on the planet.

I also thought the portrayal of the Harkonnen's was fine.. I mean we mostly see them through the character of the Baron, and it seems like they stayed true to the character in the book being a shockingly unhealthy and gluttonous individual - to the point that he is immobile and seems to struggle to speak or even breath after the lightest bit of exertion. The fact that this character sits around in a steam room or on his couch all day looking miserable seems pretty on point to me.

I don't think the characterization would be enhanced by having him doing some gross poo poo with kids or flying around a room laughing evilly under a rain of blood as his torture dolls squirm around on the floor beneath him.. that's some BS that would just take me right out of the movie.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I'm a fan of both versions and one thing I really liked in this version is the lack of compression for the initial flight into the desert, in particular the inclusion of the chase into the storm. This scene was great and for me provided the effective climax of part 1 (sorry Jamis) as it combined tension, frenetic action, exciting visuals, and the symbolism of Paul's "terrible purpose take the wheel!" moment. It is the last touch of chaos on the outcome - everything after is reactive - gotta get to the rocks, gotta run from the worm, gotta gain the respect of the fremen, gotta kill a man ... I vaguely remember it being that way in the book as well, but maybe I'm off.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Llamadeus posted:

lmfao

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Llamadeus posted:

Posts like these make me think the haters are just trolling.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It could be trolling but I don't think it has to be taken that way. That's basically what kojima said in his review, that denis is kind of wasted on tentpole blockbusters. I'm somewhat sympathetic to it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Denis feels like one of those directors with a fantastic visual sensibility who's ultimately at the mercy of the script he's working with. I feel like his next project should be Koyanisqaatsi 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Llamadeus posted:

It's impossible to make space scifi that is not derivative of Dune, so you might as well go to the source

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The United States posted:

It's impossible to make space scifi that is not derivative of Dune, so you might as well go to the source

I dont think its impossible

You could rip off Foundation instead

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Why doesn't Ahab try hunting seals? Or maybe fishing?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

It could be trolling but I don't think it has to be taken that way. That's basically what kojima said in his review, that denis is kind of wasted on tentpole blockbusters. I'm somewhat sympathetic to it

Maybe in general but Dune is specifically a passion project of his from what I understand, that’s why he was willing to commit to part one with no guarantee of part two.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

If the banquet scene was actually shot then the directors cut will be my favourite movie ever. The scene is big and complicated, with lots of one-off characters and elaborate dialogue. Its a reasonable thing to not have in an already big movie. It's also a good scene, which builds characters and the world and even has done rare humour in it.

If they dared shoot that, then I can retain my hope that other scenes and subplots were also shot. The directors cut could end up being my favourite movie, longshot though it may be.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There will not be a directors cut. Just put that out of your minds as a possibility.

”Denis” posted:

The Director’s Cut is what people are watching in theatres right now. There will be no other cut. Yes I could have made a much longer, more contemplative movie, but that was not the plan.

”Denis” posted:

It is true that if Joe [Joe Walker, the editor] and I had let go, we could have done a version of several hours because I filmed a lot. But the final version is really the one that ends up on the screen. I have never done a director's cut of any of my films.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, I don't think there has been a very big outcry of demand for a director's cut of any of his other films. But for dune, I could see him changing his mind especially if the studio gives him a mountain of cash to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

porfiria posted:

Denis feels like one of those directors with a fantastic visual sensibility who's ultimately at the mercy of the script he's working with. I feel like his next project should be Koyanisqaatsi 2.

I literally just told someone he should make a move called "Denis Villeneuve directs beautiful scenes for 2 1/2 hours" and would make 90 million dollars.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

To be fair, I don't think there has been a very big outcry of demand for a director's cut of any of his other films. But for dune, I could see him changing his mind especially if the studio gives him a mountain of cash to do it.

He can easily side step it and not call it a directors cut. Call it a "expansive world cut" or some poo poo. He's the few that could still command as "close to final cut" rights as possible and I feel this is a "cinema vision" of dunc. Also he's need to start wheeling and dealing to generate post-movie revenue to get a part 2 filmed. Being amenable to the thought of a larger cut would go a long way.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 26, 2021