Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Foundation is also tedious. They've done a really annoying thing twice now where an episode ends on something interesting and then the next episode completely ignores it. This entire season feels like it's stretched out bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That makes it sound like it’s a pretty accurate adaptation. But yeah I checked out after episode 3 because it’s just so clearly not my poo poo at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Escobarbarian posted:

The Invasion creator is the director of Dark Phoenix. That’s all you need to know.
I don't get this reference.

I have no problem with slow(er) shows. For instance, I absolutely like Better Call Saul and all the lingering shots it does. But there's a limit. Can't do an alien invasion and then tread water for several episodes.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mu Zeta posted:

Foundation is also tedious. They've done a really annoying thing twice now where an episode ends on something interesting and then the next episode completely ignores it. This entire season feels like it's stretched out bullshit.

I absolutely hate it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get this reference.

It’s just a really really terrible movie

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've literally told friends "Just watch the first two episodes and then stop and I'll let you know if it ever gets better." I'm on board just cuz I like pretty space opera but boy is it hard to recommend it to anybody at this point.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mulva posted:

It's just an interesting snap shot of things, that someone that spent a decade and a half solid using all sorts of prop guns in all sorts of situations on an almost daily basis still considers their training level practically nil. He's either humble or they really don't give people any prep work.

I saw a Twitter thread from Claudia Black talking about her experience with firearms on set and she stated "whenever I have weapons training and they ask if I’ve had experience with firearms, after 30 years I still say, 'Yes, but assume I know nothing and teach me everything.'", which is kind of how I'm reading Ackles' comment there.

A good thread:
https://twitter.com/TheClaudiaBlack/status/1452219851645272080?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sirotan posted:

I saw a Twitter thread from Claudia Black talking about her experience with firearms on set and she stated "whenever I have weapons training and they ask if I’ve had experience with firearms, after 30 years I still say, 'Yes, but assume I know nothing and teach me everything.'", which is kind of how I'm reading Ackles' comment there.

A good thread:

God I love her, glad to see she's getting more work.

(She had an amazing cameo in The Nevers earlier this year, which made me hope she was having a late career resurgence, and maybe she is.)

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks so far. All the ingredients are amazing but the recipe isn't. Budget, cast, production quality, design choices, etc. are all top notch. Story pacing is abysmal. They talk about having "a plan if the show goes for ten seasons" but it sure doesn't feel like they have a plan for the show going 1-2 seasons because they're taking their sweetass time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Metropolis posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks so far. All the ingredients are amazing but the recipe isn't. Budget, cast, production quality, design choices, etc. are all top notch. Story pacing is abysmal. They talk about having "a plan if the show goes for ten seasons" but it sure doesn't feel like they have a plan for the show going 1-2 seasons because they're taking their sweetass time.

this strat has surely never failed before lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sirotan posted:

A good thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1452219851645272080.html

For those that don't like reading on twitter

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no problem with slow(er) shows. For instance, I absolutely like Better Call Saul and all the lingering shots it does. But there's a limit. Can't do an alien invasion and then tread water for several episodes.
The problem with Invasion isn't that it's slow (though it is), it's that they have these stock characters for multiple POVs of the invasion, but they spend all their time developing their background. The entire point of a stock character is that it's shorthand so you don't have to do that. Retired Sheriff, Marital Infidelity, Bullied Schoolboy; cover that poo poo in the first 15 minutes and get to the goddamn Fireworks Factory. But it 's interminable.

edit: this is the problem with a lot of the Big Apocalyptic Event shows. Y the Last Man, Foundation, and probably a dozen others.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to like it so much, but it is so frustrating to watch. Whenever I start an episode, it starts with one of the two female main characters saying "when I was a child, things were happening" and I have to check to make sure I'm watching the latest episode because the first few lines always feel like I've already seen it. Then they end each episode with some new plot point that isn't explored until who knows when.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest part of Foundation is that the first two episodes spend a lot of time with Gaal making you think she would be the main character but then she gets siloed off into her own subplot and barely appears after.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was definitely my biggest issue. Having Gael as a major POV character to hold onto would fix a lot of my problems with the show.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Finally getting around to Squid Game. Kinda annoyed it just switches to guessing game glass sheets bullshit instead of what the previous games were like.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The stuff with the clone emperors in Foundation is legitimately good, but everything to do with the eponymous Foundation is garbage. They should have just made a galactic empire show instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm almost beginning to think that Apple may be adept at producing technically impressive products that are ultimately boring and often frustrating to experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say that Dune is the most impressive use of seat transducers that I've experienced. When The Voice is used, it shakes you to your core.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I'm almost beginning to think that Apple may be adept at producing technically impressive products that are ultimately boring and often frustrating to experience.

Nah, they've got plenty of good shows. Servant, Mythic Quest, The Morning Show, For All Mankind, Little Voice, Little America, Lisey's Story, Dickinson, blah blah blah. They might or might not be to your taste, but the scripts have a technical skill to them.

I've not seen Invasion, but Foundation mostly suffers from having some loving terrible voice over. That, and goons never like sci-fi stories focused on young people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You forgot Ted Lasso, show of the year until Succession gets further into this season

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was a joke about the company as a whole.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/vesselskirt/status/1452587067465105408?s=21

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

You forgot Ted Lasso, show of the year until Succession gets further into this season

I didn't want to get into the weeds on whether the second season was any good, it's an exhausting loving conversation.

Linehan's made some very small waves in the small, weird corner of the Doctor Who universe that I care too much about, which goes to show his general effect these days (it's nothing).

Good.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 25, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I didn't want to get into the weeds on whether the second season was any good, it's an exhausting loving conversation.

Oh, it’s very easy to ignore the buffoons who don’t like it and move on imo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

What episode was that? I don't remember anything like that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

cant cook creole bream posted:

What episode was that? I don't remember anything like that.
Really? It's part of one of the most famous episodes of the whole show where the other plot is Moss & Roy tricking Jen that a small box held the entire Internet. S3e4, "The Speech."

I recently rewatched the whole series and yeah, some episodes just do not hold up at all. They're more in seasons 3 & 4, though (and the return finale episode was dire upon rewatch, just a long screed on cancel culture and an odd attack on little people and the homeless).
A lot of the bad stuff boils down to Ricky Gervais-style "why can't I be offensive?????" humor. Some plots make Roy a bit too rude/mean and seem out of place. Also, there's an episode where you're supposed to laugh at Roy because he got lightly sexually assaulted during a massage and it's "funny" because he's a guy. Also, you really spot how about 1/2 of the show rips plots from Seinfeld practically word for word. Somehow, Seinfeld handled a lot of the same topics with more grace.

Thankfully, I think my perfect boy Moss survives untainted throughout the whole show.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 25, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1452694278325485572

Haha the ultimate instinct Shaggy fan art

Everyone's just throwing open their IP toy boxes and smashing owned characters together.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wow they are really going to finally answer who would win in a battle, the part god wizard Gandalf, who apparently can resurrect himself or Shaggy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Really? It's part of one of the most famous episodes of the whole show where the other plot is Moss & Roy tricking Jen that a small box held the entire Internet. S3e4, "The Speech."

I recently rewatched the whole series and yeah, some episodes just do not hold up at all. They're more in seasons 3 & 4, though (and the return finale episode was dire upon rewatch, just a long screed on cancel culture and an odd attack on little people and the homeless).
A lot of the bad stuff boils down to Ricky Gervais-style "why can't I be offensive?????" humor. Some plots make Roy a bit too rude/mean and seem out of place. Also, there's an episode where you're supposed to laugh at Roy because he got lightly sexually assaulted during a massage and it's "funny" because he's a guy. Also, you really spot how about 1/2 of the show rips plots from Seinfeld practically word for word. Somehow, Seinfeld handled a lot of the same topics with more grace.

Thankfully, I think my perfect boy Moss survives untainted throughout the whole show.

IT Crowd aged poorly, but that was the most infamous episode because it led to the creator, a very famous Irish writer, basically getting de-platformed, losing his family, and going so hard on bigotry and trans-hate that when newspapers referred to him as "British" no Irish person wanted to correct them.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Speaking of Mythic Quest it’s weird as hell watching Sunny for the first time AFTER watching MQ. Spent half an episode trying to figure out who the young priest who quits to marry Dee is, and almost fell over laughing when I realized. He and Rob McElhenney look like babies

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1452694278325485572

Haha the ultimate instinct Shaggy fan art

Everyone's just throwing open their IP toy boxes and smashing owned characters together.

Just put Shaggy in Injustice 3.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The IT Crowd is a show I loved back in 2009, but I probably haven't watched it since the fourth season came out and I feel like if I went back and rewatched it now, it would just tarnish my memories. Not to mention, I feel like most of the best people in it went on to do better things anyway. Katherine Parkinson is the only one I can't remember seeing in anything since, outside an episode of Sherlock.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Chairman Capone posted:

The IT Crowd is a show I loved back in 2009, but I probably haven't watched it since the fourth season came out and I feel like if I went back and rewatched it now, it would just tarnish my memories. Not to mention, I feel like most of the best people in it went on to do better things anyway. Katherine Parkinson is the only one I can't remember seeing in anything since, outside an episode of Sherlock.

She was in that British pirate radio movie, the Boat that Rocked or whatever the American title is(oh man, 2009, how time flies). I think most of IT Crowd holds up, except for that one episode with the trans woman. Graham Lineham is an insane person, but I still love Father Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd. I think its one of those situations where you have to separate the art from the artist.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chairman Capone posted:

The worst part of the trans episode specifically is that Matt Berry's character immediately says "I don't care" when the trans character mentions her past on the date and it could have been a positive message. At first, I was like, "wow, pretty progressive for this show, well done!" Of course, it had problems like the trans character being all ashamed of it and apologizing for "deceiving" Douglas along with outdated terminology, but it was still pretty raw and heartfelt (if taken at face value). Like, this was the exchange:

quote:

April: I used to be a man, Douglas. I used to be a man. I wish there was an easier way of saying that, but believe me, there's not.
I've had a lot of hormone therapy and a number of operations.
I'm really sorry. I... I hope you don't feel I deceived you.
I understand if you would rather I left.

Douglas: I don't care.

April: What?!

Douglas: Doesn't bother me.

April: Doesn't bother you at all?

Douglas: It takes all sorts to make a world.

April: Wow! It bothers most men.

Douglas: I'm not most men. And the offer still stands. Are you up for it?
And he legit has a wonderful time with her and falls in love. Then later in the episode it was revealed that he thought she said "I'm from Iran" and he goes "Oh Godddddddd" and then beats the poo poo out of her when they have an argument and she's pouring her heart out.
I really don't know how the writer made such an empathetic character in April, showed how Douglas really did love her, and then played the whole thing as a gross joke.

It even fit Douglas to have a more fluid sexuality anyway based on earlier episodes. Like how he loved how free Roy was when wearing lipstick and then wore it himself at a concert later. I just don't get it.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 25, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

The worst part of the trans episode specifically is that Matt Berry's character immediately says "I don't care" when the trans character mentions her past on the date and it could have been a positive message. At first, I was like, "wow, pretty progressive for this show, well done!" Of course, it had problems like the trans character being all ashamed of it and apologizing for "deceiving" Douglas along with outdated terminology, but it was still pretty raw and heartfelt (if taken at face value). Like, this was the exchange:

And he legit has a wonderful time with her and falls in love. Then later in the episode it was revealed that he thought she said "I'm from Iran" and he goes "Oh Godddddddd" and then beats the poo poo out of her when they have an argument and she's pouring her heart out.
I really don't know how the writer made such an empathetic character in April, showed how Douglas really did love her, and then played the whole thing as a gross joke.

It even fit Douglas to have a more fluid sexuality anyway based on earlier episodes. Like how he loved how free Roy was when wearing lipstick and then wore it himself at a concert later. I just don't get it.

I just checked because I couldn't remember how it went and Douglas punching her sounded really in character for the show, but it wasn't as bad as that.

The fight started because she decked him across the face, then they get into a Three stooges level of scenery destroying fight in the middle of a bunch of dudes doing lab research so it can lead into the Internet being destroyed during Jen's meeting. Right before though the bit is she's telling him she is a woman, he's clearly struggling with the break-up, and while she says "there is a woman in front of you" one of the male lab techs walks between them. What was a lol timing gag is a lot more insidious after the fact.

It also ends with Douglas miserable and alone crying because he misses her, so it seems like there was some awareness of the joke in the writers room, then Linehan got stuck in with the TERFs and made "trans woman are a danger" his personality and suddenly that story seems really bad in context.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Everything you guys are describing as potentially good is kind of bad tbh. The sequence where Matt Berry is chill and accepting of his girlfriend is gross, because it expects you to be shocked at how casually he accepts her.That's fundamentally hosed.

Sekhmnet posted:

I think most of IT Crowd holds up, except for that one episode with the trans woman.

There are two episodes with Renholm's wife, and there are heaps of other episodes that are uncomfortable. E.g. the episode where Roy is mistaken for, and then abducted by, a group of disabled gay men during a performance of Gay! A Gay Musical.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 26, 2021

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Everything you guys are describing as potentially good is kind of bad tbh. The sequence where Matt Berry is chill and accepting of his girlfriend is gross, because it expects you to be shocked at how casually he accepts her.That's fundamentally hosed.

There are two episodes with Renholm's wife, and there are heaps of other episodes that are uncomfortable. E.g. the episode where Roy is mistaken for, and then abducted by, a group of disabled gay men during a performance of Gay! A Gay Musical.

The uncomfortable part of the work outing one is all the theater staff being over the top protective of Roy. Also the guy who invited them all being portrayed as a closet case, I guess. You're right about the wife episodes though, whenever I re-watch those are insta-skips.

I'll never not laugh at the delivery of this line from IT Crowd though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfq3B9JvIcQ

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Nice! :toot:

https://variety.com/2021/streaming/global/the-last-kingdom-film-netflix-alexander-dreymon-uhtred-1235096693/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nice to see Netflix give the show so much love