Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Random Integer posted:

The guy playing the recruiter is Gong Yoo, who is also an incredibly famous actor in Korea (probably best known outside Korea for Train to Busan), so I think its kind of a fakeout as to who the surprise reveal big name actor is.

I thought he looked familiar but I couldn’t place him! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUU93Z7qNQ8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

that linked me to this which is also very cute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYd_pT9hZrM

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I speak enough Spanish to kind of read it. It’s just a squid game themed event with a 1k prize and 10 dollar entry. It says something roughly to the effect of “nobody is going to be killed or anything” on it. Not sure what Op is on about.

It’s kind of hosed to replicate the game, even without the violence

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
A red light green light game thread where anyone who posts after red light gets banned.
Posters must make x amount of posts within y amount of pages.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ymgve posted:

It’s kind of hosed to replicate the game, even without the violence

Yeah. It'd be like having a Naked and Afraid Hunger Games special.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don’t really see the difference or find this any more shocking than when I play a video game about fictional violence.

Much less actual violence or genocide like say WW2

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah if it were imitating a real life atrocity that would be one thing, but it's imitating a fictional
piece of entertainment for fun. Can't really see anything objectionable about that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

amazing

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

When I watched the hamsters do the glass plates thing I said to myself "Yeah that's a lot easier when you have four legs." Then I realized the contestants could have crawled across on their hands and knees. Why didn't they try that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The rails were really thin. Maybe they couldn’t even support a step

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
They had enough redshirts for some of them to try something smart and get punished for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nobody is allowed to complain about the VIPs’ acting, they were 100% accurate and real

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

He’s just method acting

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vorgen posted:

When I watched the hamsters do the glass plates thing I said to myself "Yeah that's a lot easier when you have four legs." Then I realized the contestants could have crawled across on their hands and knees. Why didn't they try that.

I feel like it's like the honeycomb game and the needle, they gave you the implied rules of the game and everyone just went with it. at the end they figured out there was no actual rule against licking the back and making it easier, but only one person actually thought to do that.

I think a repeated theme of the show is that given an implied set of rules it's rare someone will think to just not do that. Watching the game it's super easy to think of walking on the rails or doing a marble trading ring or whatever, but it's shown over and over that even when life is at stake it's rare for someone to not sort of follow the rules. Like his mom was dying from poverty, why didn't she just steal to pay for it? etc. People generally follow what they think the rules are, even if it kills them, even if nothing is really enforcing that as a rule.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like it's like the honeycomb game and the needle, they gave you the implied rules of the game and everyone just went with it. at the end they figured out there was no actual rule against licking the back and making it easier, but only one person actually thought to do that.

I think a repeated theme of the show is that given an implied set of rules it's rare someone will think to just not do that. Watching the game it's super easy to think of walking on the rails or doing a marble trading ring or whatever, but it's shown over and over that even when life is at stake it's rare for someone to not sort of follow the rules. Like his mom was dying from poverty, why didn't she just steal to pay for it? etc. People generally follow what they think the rules are, even if it kills them, even if nothing is really enforcing that as a rule.
That's a really good point. Everything in the show can totally be seen through the lens of its critique of capitalism. Our working lives can easily be seen as larger versions of these schoolyard games that make no sense. Of course there are ways to cheat or exploit the system, but who actually breaks the unwritten rules?

BTW, after finishing Squid Game, I did try to give Alice in Borderland a shot. I... kinda hated it? I made it to episode 5 of 8 before calling it quits. It doesn't seem to have a deeper meaning, the games are mostly unsatisfying (kinda random and unsolvable to the viewer), and the episodes seem bloated and slow. Like the conversations and emotional speeches take foreevvvvvveerrrrr and don't really reveal anything new about the characters. I wish each episode had been 40 minutes instead of nearly an hour.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 25, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Nobody is allowed to complain about the VIPs’ acting, they were 100% accurate and real

Bad headline, there's nothing inherently wrong with dating a woman who's Thai. But yeah, it's always sus seeing an older white guy going over there for those explicit purposes.

Better than that is the interview someone else posted here where he brags twice about all the sex offers people have sent him post-squid game. Weird, weird dude.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

it's explicitly shown in the show that the host and vips did not appreciate that someone would outsmart the glass game to the finish line so they took measures to stop the outsmarting

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

comedyblissoption posted:

it's explicitly shown in the show that the host and vips did not appreciate that someone would outsmart the glass game to the finish line so they took measures to stop the outsmarting

Honestly, that was an example of them not liking someone playing by the rules and being too good at it. They didn't stop people from cheating like standing behind people in red light, or by playing the game wrong like licking the candy instead of using the needles, but they hated someone playing the game as it was meant to be played but being good at it and (having actual glass knowledge and helping others with that knowledge). That also feels in line with the themes of the show. The rules are capricious and unfair, breaking them one way is seen as rewardable cleverness, in some other way is worth death, just by if they piss off the VIPs or not.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

comedyblissoption posted:

I wonder how much the host was pressured by the VIPs in this regard though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, they probably would have blown the panel or shot the guy in retaliation if someone tried walking the railings (or just putting one foot on each panel! they were not that far apart!), but the literal first thought in my Taskmaster-poisoned brain at the marbles challenge was "trade bags with your opponent, they never said you had to have all of yours". I would've liked to see someone try it and get denied by the guards, just to close that loophole off in the minds of the audience.

Also, does anyone know the relative purchase power of the won in South Korea? Because the grand prize being only $39 million means they're fighting and suffering and dying all for "retire comfortably" money, not even "you are wealthy now" money, and it matters to me very much if that was intentional or not.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uh, $40 million USD is a poo poo ton of money in Korea, or anywhere for that matter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Uh, $40 million USD is a poo poo ton of money in Korea, or anywhere for that matter.

Yeah that’s a pretty weird take lol

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Win the Squid Games in Korea, come to Argentina and buy yourself a town with 40 million USD

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mu Zeta posted:

No, come on, $40 million is not being actually wealthy, look at the goddamn world. Quarterbacks get that for playing a season of football.

Actual wealth, enough to have real power and immunity from the law, is... 100 times that? 1000? At least?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

"$40 million is middle class actually" is not a take I was expecting to see.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't know how to be any clearer than this: you think any of the VIPs regard $40 million as anything other than a rounding error? You think they're giving out an amount of money they'd actually miss?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you had $39 million you could spend a million dollars every year for 38 years and have $1 million left over

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know how to be any clearer than this: you think any of the VIPs regard $40 million as anything other than a rounding error? You think they're giving out an amount of money they'd actually miss?

bruh are you high on dust?

just because there are people who make even more, it doesn't mean that $40m doesn't make you very very rich.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

For the average person $40,000,000 dollars is a life-changing amount. If you invest it wisely you can live a very comfortable life without having to work ever again. Also, the people playing the games are all in astoundingly bad situations because of how broke they are, so $40 million is even more impactful for them.

You're correct in that this isn't enough money to propel you into the ranks of the actually rich. You're not going to be able to buy your way into true power with this tiny sum. But if your goal is to never need to worry about money ever again, then $40 million is far more than enough to get there.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

People having more of a thing than you does not mean that you don't have a lot of that thing.

I have decently well paying job and $40 million is several times more money than I will earn over my entire lifetime. The idea its 'just comfortable retirement money' is completely insane.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

bruh are you high on dust?

just because there are people who make even more, it doesn't mean that $40m doesn't make you very very rich.
I'd argue there's a pretty sharp line between dudes who don't have to worry about money any more and dudes who don't have to worry about laws any more, especially if Gi-hun intends to use being the former to go after the latter. But fuckin' whatever I guess.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

CapnAndy posted:

I'd argue there's a pretty sharp line between dudes who don't have to worry about money any more and dudes who don't have to worry about laws any more, especially if Gi-hun intends to use being the former to go after the latter. But fuckin' whatever I guess.

I'm not sure why everyone is giving you a hard time about this. Yes 40m is a lot to us, but yeah to the people running the games it's nothing.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah it's probably nothing to people on the level of wealth like the VIPs, and it wouldn't be enough for gi-hun to be some sort of lawless vigilante getting his revenge. You're right about all that, but you never mentioned any of that in your original post.

you said,

quote:

they're fighting and suffering and dying all for "retire comfortably" money, not even "you are wealthy now" money,

and then wondered why people were like, "wtf, $40m is 'you are wealthy now' money!?!?"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If winning the Squid Games doesn't make you rich enough to start your own Squid Games, what's even the point?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah it's probably nothing to people on the level of wealth like the VIPs, and it wouldn't be enough for gi-hun to be some sort of lawless vigilante getting his revenge. You're right about all that, but you never mentioned any of that in your original post.

you said,

and then wondered why people were like, "wtf, $40m is 'you are wealthy now' money!?!?"
And I've been trying to clarify what I meant by that since, but y'know, it's equally cruel to make people murder each other for money you wouldn't actually miss and won't actually put them on your level, despite that being the dream you're feeding them to make them sign up. It's probably not an aspect of the satire at all, I was wrong.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

it's equally cruel to make people murder each other for money you wouldn't actually miss and won't actually put them on your level, despite that being the dream you're feeding them to make them sign up.

that was never something promised to the players

and sure that's not an absurd amount of money to loving Elon Musk, but to literally 99.9% of the planet's population that's absolutely a "never have to think about money" amount of money

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Me and my partner collectively pull about 25k usd from our jobs, usually working opposite shifts, and half the time we do get to hang out it's jamming to music or listening to a podcast while running gig economy food delivery orders to make ends meet. I could frankly be convinced to stab a dude for way less than forty million. Not to pay off debts or to buy my way into the truly wealthy class, just to get more fuckin time to see her, my mom, and my cats instead of my boss.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

you said,

$40M is absolutely enough to be a lawless vigilante, at least for a few VIPs, because it's way more than enough to set up the various intermediary shielding entities and then hire a professional killer, all from some remote location. That's what the bulk of being "outside of laws" is until you get into rewriting the laws themselves.

Using QBs as an example is ridiculous because most of them don't make 40M/year (although they do make a lot) and they are basically lottery winners who win a second lottery by being both professional athletes AND hitting the point where they command that salary. I don't know how many active QBs there are but even if there were 350 that would still make them 1 in 1 million for the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, after finishing Squid Game, I did try to give Alice in Borderland a shot. I... kinda hated it? I made it to episode 5 of 8 before calling it quits. It doesn't seem to have a deeper meaning, the games are mostly unsatisfying (kinda random and unsolvable to the viewer), and the episodes seem bloated and slow. Like the conversations and emotional speeches take foreevvvvvveerrrrr and don't really reveal anything new about the characters. I wish each episode had been 40 minutes instead of nearly an hour.

I like 50% agree with you about Alice. I fuckin love it, but I think what really makes me appreciate it more is that it's just so loving anime