Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I have a Patreon. Please consider signing up for it. It really helps me out moving forward.

Gregory Horror Show was a series of short CGI animations about a hotel and the weird characters that inhabit it. It's a delightful combination of silly and twisted, and the folks at Capcom were able to translate the concept into a very appropriate survival horror-type game.

In the game, we're a new guest who finds themselves at the Gregory House Hotel, and we're recruited by Death to collect lost souls, which are in the possession of the other characters. We must maintain our sanity and avoid losing our mind and our life, as the hotel gradually gets filled with more and more guests who aren't too happy with us trying to take these souls from them.

And no, you're not experiencing deja vu. And no, you're not experiencing deja vu. I did attempt to play through this once before, long ago, and I talk in more detail about my previous experience with this game in Part 0 (as well as more about the game and show), so go ahead and check it out!

All Horror Shows!

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oh cool! I remember watching this back in the day and always wondered why you stopped playing it.

Weird fact, while the game received a release in Europe, the DVDs never did. Seems like no one knew how to handle the series in the West as a whole, so it turned into something of a clusterfuck.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Oh cool! I remember watching this back in the day and always wondered why you stopped playing it.

Weird fact, while the game received a release in Europe, the DVDs never did. Seems like no one knew how to handle the series in the West as a whole, so it turned into something of a clusterfuck.

I was pretty sure that was the case, but the information about there about the show is pretty scarce, so I couldn't confirm that Europe didn't get the show. It's definitely funny how North America got the show, but not the game, and Europe got the game, but not the show.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Man, this has been a long time coming. I still remember the original thread.
In the intervening years I ended up watching the show, I quite liked it. I was super excited when the game was finally compatible with pcsx2, got to play the game myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. Someone else LP'd this some years back, it was niggurath if I remember correctly.

I'll be watching this for sure, I've been waiting so long for closure lol. Thanks for coming back to this after sooooo long.

It still looks so good in HD, it aged really well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

Man, this has been a long time coming. I still remember the original thread.
In the intervening years I ended up watching the show, I quite liked it. I was super excited when the game was finally compatible with pcsx2, got to play the game myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. Someone else LP'd this some years back, it was niggurath if I remember correctly.

I took a look at this after starting my LP. That LP was done when there were still some audio issues with the game, so poor Niggurath had to do a lot of cuts to remove stuttering. It's one of the things that kept me from revisiting this sooner.

I'm using a test build of PCSX2 that was made less than a year ago to address this specific issue. So far, so problems. :)

quote:

It still looks so good in HD, it aged really well.

I feel like that's the case for a lot of games of this generation. I think a lot of games had the graphical capabilities built into the code, and the visuals were then crunched by what the consoles were capable of putting out. As long as the space on the disc was there, there wasn't a need to work with lower definitions. I remember this being the case with the GTA games, when porting them to XBox, where the higher-quality assets were always there to begin with. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, please.

Oh, and time for a new episode, everyone!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like the text still has those blocks around them like with the other LP.

I am halfway through the series and was surprised to see this going on.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

Looks like the text still has those blocks around them like with the other LP.

That should be fixed after the next video. I adjusted some settings and was able to clean that up.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

coleman francis posted:

Someone else LP'd this some years back, it was niggurath if I remember correctly.

Supergreatfriend also played it recently.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK but I'm playing it now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The cutscenes in this game are redubbed from the DVD. You can find the short videos on Youtube. DVD Katherine was looking for the new guest to drain when she stabbed the bed. DVD Cactus Gunman wanted to duel you and romance second guest.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you all could do a slight favor and tell me what you think about my update schedule, and also tell me when you usually check out this forum or watch LPs. I'm trying to figure out if I should make some changes to when I publish that better coincides with when people are around to watch.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I use the User Control Panel to find thread updates, so usually every other hour outside of work times. I don't mind the update schedule since this is rather text/time based and will be punishing on later days.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I usually see your vids come up on youtube before here. Sometimes it's days before I watch a new upload so I'm good with any kind of frequency, though I do appreciate some time between updates seeing as I watch a ton of other stuff too. It gets hard to keep up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Today's question - I would like to know what you think about the pacing and how I'm going about playing the game. The old videos are gone, but in the replies to my original thread oh-so-long ago, people pointed out that I was being somewhat aimless and not accomplishing things, leading to a lot of videos where nothing really happened. I've tried to keep this in mind and have been trying to set out at the start of each video with a goal and plan in mind, and focusing on it as best I can.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't remember or maybe know about the old stuff and you seem more accomplished over being aimless.

I think the color-coded schedule is something about green being completely explored, yellow being some condition not being met, and red is progress gated for another day or guest appearance. The half line may be you are missing more dialog. Is this an RTFM thing?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think the color-coded schedule is something about green being completely explored, yellow being some condition not being met, and red is progress gated for another day or guest appearance. The half line may be you are missing more dialog. Is this an RTFM thing?

I don't know what RTFM means.

I'm really not sure if your guess lines up or not. I'm assuming that schedules are noted down unless I observe the person at that time of day, so I'd have to have spied on them and gotten the complete dialogue in order for it to show up. I initially thought that Green signified them walking around and Red signifying they were staying in one spot, but that didn't seem to line up either (and also didn't account for Yellow). My best assumption of the half-line is that there's an alternative schedule that happens.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sorry, it's reading the instruction manual.
Read it and it says nothing useful. Barebones.

Holding souls reduces damage you take when someone attacks you. It stacks.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 6, 2021

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sorry, it's reading the instruction manual.

Ah. No, there's nothing in there about the indicators at all. It barely mentions schedules.

According to a walkthrough, the colors denote locations for the guests.

quote:

Red. This means the guest is in his/her room.
Yellow. This means that the guest is in a corridor or in the garden.
Green. The guest is in a room (not his/her own) on the ground floor.
Blue. As with green, except this time the room is on the 1st floor.
Purple. This means the guest is somewhere in the basement.

(A) AND (B) DAYS:
These are denoted in the game by a timetable segment made of two horizontal bars one above the other. As far as I can tell, a (b) day only occurs after two (a) days.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Having a plan doesn't always mean things go as planned.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Congrats, you encouraged a cowardly cactus.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was feeling very, very bad about things happening the way they did. But ultimately, it is all part of the game experience, and in the end, I think showcasing how things can go badly and how plans don't always work out was worthwhile. Just as long as it's a rare occurrence.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can't believe you abandoned your girlfriend to die alone, to make money for the company. See ya.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would probably be a bad idea to clean out all the items in the basement. A lot of moving around just to sap your energy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

It would probably be a bad idea to clean out all the items in the basement. A lot of moving around just to sap your energy.

Nah it's fine. I totally got this and nothing bad is going to be happening to me anytime soon.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The empty can has Neko Zombie's picture on it, maybe you can trade it with him for something more useful?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The empty can has Neko Zombie's picture on it, maybe you can trade it with him for something more useful?

I can't be certain, but I believe you can only offer food to Neko Zombie. Also, only at certain times, so the opportunity didn't present itself for experimentation.

But anyway, time for another episode! I'm pretty sure this is now officially farther than I managed to get in my first attempt at doing an LP of this. So hooray!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That game went a little Saw for a bit there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

That game went a little Saw for a bit there.

Saw would be a lot better if Jigsaw was a papercraft rat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Didn't post last week because I didn't think anyone would really be around on account of Thanksgiving. We're back now and there's only 5 episodes left until this LP is finished (plus one bonus video). I'm so dang happy that not only have I finally beaten this game, but I'll be able to do a finished LP of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like Hell's Chef. He casually murders people and cooks them up. Maybe if those people would stop being rude to him.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Video showed up on my subs. These kids may all be stalkers. At least My Son isn't actively harming you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Things start getting a little bit rough now that we have almost all the guests in the hotel now, and at least half of them want to kill us. But hey, good news for those of you who want to see every Horror Show in the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was exciting. This hotel is like a pinball or bumper cars arena with all these people in tight places wanting to hurt you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does Judgement Boy have any more judgements to hand out?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think so? But I actually can't confirm it. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Only one video left and then this game is done, but there might be a bonus video that could come about in the future. I'll keep you guys posted.