Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Picked up the Count of Monte Cristo at my local library last week. This book is a thousand loving pages and nobody in it talks like a real person but its p good still. The key is to skim over all the passages where random frenchman is struck by what great morals and skill and knowledge this Dantes guy has and how cool he is because boy there is a loving lot of them. Striking it rich and using the money to seek vengeance on your enemies is definitely a conceit I like a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That book owns

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Those admiring characterizations of Dantes are important and set up the drama in the future arc of the character, op

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

have you ever read the wind in the willows?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Thats a good book actually, I listened to it though

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i fuckin love it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I read Frankenstein. This is one instance where the movie was better than the book.
Read Dracula. It was pretty good.
Moby Dick, it was good the first time I read it, but tried the second time and it was...... Difficult.

Robinson Crusoe I tried and tried to like it, but just couldn't get in to it.
Might try that one again some time, but not today.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

wesleywillis posted:

I read Frankenstein. This is one instance where the movie was better than the book.
Read Dracula. It was pretty good.
Moby Dick, it was good the first time I read it, but tried the second time and it was...... Difficult.

Robinson Crusoe I tried and tried to like it, but just couldn't get in to it.
Might try that one again some time, but not today.

i like the part at the end of Frankenstein when Frankenstein fucks Dr Frankenstein in the rear end tenderly

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

funny to think about people waiting for the next part of the story to come out in whatever weird news paper things they were reading the stories in back then

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Count of Monte Cristo opened the first Bennigan's restaurant, but committed suicide when the chain ultimately had to shut down. Ironically, by covering himself in pancake batter and jumping into a cat of hot oil.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo opened the first Bennigan's restaurant, but committed suicide when the chain ultimately had to shut down. Ironically, by covering himself in pancake batter and jumping into a cat of hot oil.

i would use a vat but im not into animal endagerment

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Moby Dick is so loving good

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Queequag hosed me

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

Queequag hosed me

Yea i read about it in the book!!!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
My record for getting through Crime and Punishment is getting about halfway

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Picked up the Count of Monte Cristo at my local library last week. This book is a thousand loving pages and nobody in it talks like a real person but its p good still. The key is to skim over all the passages where random frenchman is struck by what great morals and skill and knowledge this Dantes guy has and how cool he is because boy there is a loving lot of them. Striking it rich and using the money to seek vengeance on your enemies is definitely a conceit I like a lot though.

Dumas didn’t even write the whole thing and farmed out all the crazy C-plots to other writers working for him lol so yeah don’t feel bad about skipping the 50-page backstory about some dude who says hi to Dantes on the street

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

was the legend of sleepy hollow a book

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

hell astro course posted:

funny to think about people waiting for the next part of the story to come out in whatever weird news paper things they were reading the stories in back then

Hmm what if I paid authors by the word. It should save on costs and I can’t imagine it having any negative consequences like some guy just handing me a painstaking 3 page list of every single thing a character has in their backpack as half of this weeks chapter

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
its called world building, you philistine

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

was the legend of sleepy hollow a book

Basically a very short story

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Basically a very short story

dang i wanted the backstory on ichabod crane and if maybe he has IBS, maybe he has cholera or he lost his sister to it?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

dang i wanted the backstory on ichabod crane and if maybe he has IBS, maybe he has cholera or he lost his sister to it?

Hes a big bjtch

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

yo Mr Toad is gonna mess u up for sayin that poo poo about his platonic life partner

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Legend of Sleepy Hollow has one of the worst opening sentences i ever read afaik let me find it real quick

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at that broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at that broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.

jesus christ lmao i thought the start of I Am David was dry

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I finally finished the Hobbit and the LOTR books over the course of like 2 years. For as much as I love everything about it, it sure took me a long time to read the actual books.

Das Boot is from the 70s so it's not really a classic but I just started reading it last night.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's extremely trite but probably my favourite classic is war and peace. i've only read it once and would like to read it again but man, was it ever an experience

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

my favorite book as a kid was anne of green gables

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gutenberg.org, OP.

Also, I started reading L Morte D Arthur (the old kind Arthur anthology or whatever) and those dudes get into some pretty homoerotic action. Ironically someone made a thread (I want to say pick) about it that was p hilarious and very timely w my own reading

The thousand nights and one night is also p cool if you like those old school stories where there’s a lot of weird history poo poo going on and scores of characters getting their heads lobbed off w a passing reference to god being almighty, etc

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Moby Dick is up there for me but my fav is Ulysses I've written multiple papers on that and the rest of Joyce's work lol

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's Poe season.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

phasmid posted:

It's Poe season.

quoth the raven, gay rear end whore

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Brother Tadger posted:

Gutenberg.org, OP.

Also, I started reading L Morte D Arthur (the old kind Arthur anthology or whatever) and those dudes get into some pretty homoerotic action. Ironically someone made a thread (I want to say pick) about it that was p hilarious and very timely w my own reading

The thousand nights and one night is also p cool if you like those old school stories where there’s a lot of weird history poo poo going on and scores of characters getting their heads lobbed off w a passing reference to god being almighty, etc

I can’t read novels on a screen. My eyes just slide right off. Luckily there’s a magical place my tax dollars already fund that lets me just take any novel i please. There’s a nice new one I went to today that has a coffee shop built in.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love Poe. Greatly superior to Lovecraft, will always prefer the bleak gothic horror of people losing their minds or falling prey to obsessions.

Poe was about the more tangible, far more terrifying unknown, that we don't truly know ourselves or the depths we're capable of. It's the fear of the dark, but unlike Lovecraft it isn't external, it's the fear that we become strangers to ourselves thereby distorting the world around us because our perceptual mechanisms have become irreparably tainted.

Berenice is the greatest horror story ever imo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That opening paragraph trill af -

"MISERY is manifold. The wretchedness of earth is multiform. Overreaching the wide horizon like the rainbow, its hues are as various as the hues of that arch, as distinct too, yet as intimately blended. Overreaching the wide horizon like the rainbow! How is it that from Beauty I have derived a type of unloveliness? — from the covenant of Peace a simile of sorrow? But thus is it. And as, in ethics, Evil is a consequence of Good, so, in fact, out of Joy is sorrow born. Either the memory of past bliss is the anguish of to-day, or the agonies which are, have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been. I have a tale to tell in its own essence rife with horror — I would suppress it were it not a record more of feelings than of facts."

Now that's the kind of unctuous, pitch drenched, aphotic poo poo that owns.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

have you ever read the wind in the willows?

I got given it for my fifth birthday. It was a fantastic read. I miss my copy of it :(

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Greatest American novel ever written

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Revins posted:

My record for getting through Crime and Punishment is getting about halfway

Same. Tried 3 times. Not sure why I stop though