Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If any movie deserves a LotR style extended edition its this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There is a director's cut, it's the version currently in theaters. It's the version the director cut. I want to see deleted scenes too but "director's cut" doesn't really make sense unless the director didn't get to release the movie the way they wanted to.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just to chime in, I didn't really dig this movie. A couple of us watching it had enjoyed the David Lynch version, though overall I think that movie is just ok. Plus David doesn't like it due to not having final cut etc. Not to compare too much.

Cool that people do dig this one, and it's capturing people's imagination here on SA. I'll say for me, I think the script is fairly ok, but I don't dig the chosen direction, tone, and casting. There are aspects of the movie I like, I enjoy the lore and the more surreal stuff, and stuff like the system of influence and that whole spider's web of deception and planning or whatever. But that is pretty straightforward, just delivered in some expository dialogue. But there's something there for sure. I also like the visions and the destiny or appearance thereof and funky cool stuff like that.

Paul in this doesn't land for me. The performance, the writing, however it's framed here, just not a very memorable movie performance or arc (or half an arc) for me. I do like Kyle's better, but I just like his unique charm as an actor. Not that they need be compared, just for the record, Kyle is a cool dude. That one bit here where Paul complains about his lot doesn't feel earned, but in general he doesn't seem to be portrayed as having a personality at all. And I don't get the impression that he has a lot going on inside either, just kind of vacant. And hey, you can have a cool sterile vacant character, that connects with the audience somehow, for me this didn't though.

Jason Mamoa I don't think is a great actor, and Josh Brolin often is pretty drat good but I feel is used in a pretty poor way here. The "I am smiling" joke taken from Black Dynamite, I'm not sure why they thought that worked. Oscar Isaac and Rebecca Ferguson are good. The villains are pretty whatever to me here, and the Kurtz nod with the head rubbing doesn't really imbue any depth or anything.

In general I may not be a big Villeneuve fan. I would've liked to see somebody do a different take on this than what we got here. I like taking your time and covering the book, but it feels like this took it's time with so-so action and spectacle. I don't find this movie to be anything special. And I did like his Blade Runner movie, but found it to be mostly just ok. Found the Deckard use pretty blah, and overall felt overhyped to me. He seems sort of like a new take on Nolan, making straightforward blockbusters that are just a bit apparently elegant or artisanal in tone, but can for me fail to deliver the goods character and emotion wise. And for spectacle and artistic wildness there are other directions I'd prefer. Well, that's my take.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 26, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/blimp_juice/status/1452665128151834628

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

If any movie deserves a LotR style extended edition its this one.

Yep. I have not watched a movie since fellowship that felt more like fellowship. Really didnt do a whole ton of “stuff” but instead just set the “feels” for the universe, and god drat i just want to roll around in it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vote Muad'dib: The Strength At The Base of a Pillar, The Strength Arrakis Needs.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jason Momoa should only play parts where he's a contemporary cool dude, or doesn't speak English.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Baron von Eevl posted:

There is a director's cut, it's the version currently in theaters. It's the version the director cut. I want to see deleted scenes too but "director's cut" doesn't really make sense unless the director didn't get to release the movie the way they wanted to.

Ok nerd, EXTENDED EDITION

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

porfiria posted:

Jason Momoa should only play parts where he's a contemporary cool dude, or doesn't speak English.

Yes. Not because he should, but because that’s the extent of his range.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm back and forth on that; I don't really buy Momoa as a legendary warrior of such status that the empire's elite legions are warned that he'll be there, but I do buy him as a brave and loyal friend, and given how things go in the movie that's probably the more important aspect of his character to play up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look i go to my street corner and go “oops I dropped some cash” and then a kid walks by and goes “oops I dropped some drugs”

Denis, just put all the deleted scenes on the Blu-ray, we’ll do the rest of the work ourselves

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

2house2fly posted:

I'm back and forth on that; I don't really buy Momoa as a legendary warrior of such status that the empire's elite legions are warned that he'll be there, but I do buy him as a brave and loyal friend, and given how things go in the movie that's probably the more important aspect of his character to play up

Not unfair, but find someone who can do both.

Edit: actually just reverse gurney/duncan casting

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 26, 2021

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

AlternateAccount posted:

You could kinda game it, the rule is you can't machine machines that think in the manner of a human mind.

Human minds can do arithmetic, but a missile guidance system is something else entirely. also humans don't emit light and follow you around.

I dunno, the rules may be a bit more specific than we think.

Everything but thinking machines - self-aware A.I. - is allowed.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Feyd should be in part two and it should be Machine Gun Kelly. He is the Yang to Chalamet's Yin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

He can easily side step it and not call it a directors cut. Call it a "expansive world cut" or some poo poo. He's the few that could still command as "close to final cut" rights as possible and I feel this is a "cinema vision" of dunc. Also he's need to start wheeling and dealing to generate post-movie revenue to get a part 2 filmed. Being amenable to the thought of a larger cut would go a long way.

They could do a thing where after a Dune part 2 comes out the entire thing is edited into one movie and adds back in some scenes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Give me a poorly-paced cut then!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i'm not sure why, but the many shots of machines looming over infantry squares made me think of the cutscenes from the Battletech game so Denis Villeneuve Battletech movie when?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

AnEdgelord posted:

Posts like these make me think the haters are just trolling.

They are, OP

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

AlternateAccount posted:

Edit: actually just reverse gurney/duncan casting

Wow this is pretty racist lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
“I can’t buy the non-white actor as a legendary warrior, regardless of the directorial and authorial intent.”

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I thought movie was okay. Liked it more in the beginning, got a little bored by the end. Oddly enough, the opposite of how my friend, who liked Dune so much she kept the "Fear is the mind-killer" quote in her psychiatry office, felt the opposite, and thought it got better as the movie went on. Go figure.

Anyone else feel like the music was a little much at times? I know it's supposed to have an epic feel to it, but sometimes it felt like Paul could have been taking a poo poo and that woman on the soundtrack would have been wailing her heart out to it.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
it would rule if Timmy C got fuckin shredded for part 2. Or just cast Adam Driver for Messiah

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Momoa is perfectly cast IMO. He is very much A) someone who could kill most people without breaking a sweat and B) a big loyal friend. He works very well and having Brolin as the more cynical Gurney is a good counterpoint.

And yeah I'm glad Villenue is happy with the theatrical cut of the film and doesn't feel it was compromised but I would like to see some of the stuff that was cut anyway. Just make it deleted scenes, that's fine, have it be an interesting side curiosity for the people who are really into the movie or whatever.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

AnEdgelord posted:

Posts like these make me think the haters are just trolling.

there's a dude in GBS who angrily insisted that dune was a failure because it didn't match the step by step heroic journey plotline in the save the cat screenwriting book. he spoke as a writer. a writer whose biggest achievement was getting almost selected in some family guy scriptwriting competition.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Personally, I think the film would have been better if it catered itself exclusively to my preferences.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I buy Momoa as an incredible warrior, but I don't buy Brolin as a guy who'd pick up whatever the gently caress that lute thing was and jam for a while. Momoa actually plays stringed instruments! I bet you could build something huge and kind of interesting and he'd reasonably be able to play it! Get the Warr guitars guy on the phone.

Honestly though I was apprehensive about Momoa and Brolin in those roles before the movie came out but I think each one was well cast for their role as it was written. I feel like if you switched the more character-y bits and had Duncan as the hard rear end overly serious guy and Gurney as the affable but "but seriously though" guy it could have worked too.

It'd have robbed us of a lot more Momoa in a hypothetical Children/God Emperor duo but it would blessed us with a little more Momoa in the might-actually-happen Dunc2.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I buy Momoa as an incredible warrior, but I don't buy Brolin as a guy who'd pick up whatever the gently caress that lute thing was and jam for a while. Momoa actually plays stringed instruments! I bet you could build something huge and kind of interesting and he'd reasonably be able to play it! Get the Warr guitars guy on the phone.

Honestly though I was apprehensive about Momoa and Brolin in those roles before the movie came out but I think each one was well cast for their role as it was written. I feel like if you switched the more character-y bits and had Duncan as the hard rear end overly serious guy and Gurney as the affable but "but seriously though" guy it could have worked too.

It'd have robbed us of a lot more Momoa in a hypothetical Children/God Emperor duo but it would blessed us with a little more Momoa in the might-actually-happen Dunc2.

Brolin sold me on his Gurney just in the way he delivered the "They're BRUTAL" line. This movie was good top to bottom.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

there's a dude in GBS who angrily insisted that dune was a failure because it didn't match the step by step heroic journey plotline in the save the cat screenwriting book. he spoke as a writer. a writer whose biggest achievement was getting almost selected in some family guy scriptwriting competition.

Lemme guess, the RLM thread?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Seriously, David Lynch must be loving how suddenly everyone's a fan of his version. It was a laughing stock for almost everyone up until this movie came out, apparently.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

"everyone" is quite a stretch

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

David lynch probably doesn't really care, he disowned the movie and stopped thinking about it almost 40 fuckin years ago. Respect

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Glottis posted:

Seriously, David Lynch must be loving how suddenly everyone's a fan of his version. It was a laughing stock for almost everyone up until this movie came out, apparently.

I feel like I'm in a Battlefield thread

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Glottis posted:

I just rewatched it and it's really not that great of a movie.

I think a lot of this is fair, I also didn't really dig Timothee Chalamet's portrayal of Paul, but I suppose it's only half the movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IMB posted:

Brolin sold me on his Gurney just in the way he delivered the "They're BRUTAL" line. This movie was good top to bottom.

His neck did quite a bit of acting on that line. Every muscle went taut and veins were in stark relief. I’ve used FACS rigs where there are controls to trigger that bit of muscle action and on that line I was like “drat he has good control over his neck.”

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

No Mods No Masters posted:

David lynch probably doesn't really care, he disowned the movie and stopped thinking about it almost 40 fuckin years ago. Respect

He absolutely doesn't care, he didn't even care enough to read the book before adapting it in the first place. Few would be so brazen with other people's dreams.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Everything but thinking machines - self-aware A.I. - is allowed.

I believe the term "thinking machines" doesn't just mean sentient/self-aware AI but anything that "thinks" in the stead of a human mind, including simple calculators. The thopters in the movie had all analog readouts.

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind... Even the simplest computers and calculators were banned, with the penalty for building or owning such a thinking machine technology being put to trial and sentenced to immediate death."
Source: https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I actually really appreciate the 3 hour TV cut for giving us EVEN MORE Herbertian/Lynchian weirdness, but yeah he got screwed over by the studio for that Alan Smithee version. Would have been wild to see a "post-Twin Peaks The Return" Lynch take on Dune though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i clicked on some links in the dune wiki and got to a never made french 70s movie featuring 2000 extras pooping.

where would that scene have been in this?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

kater posted:

i clicked on some links in the dune wiki and got to a never made french 70s movie featuring 2000 extras pooping.

where would that scene have been in this?

The cut dinner scene. Denis only had 100 poopers, which is truer to the book to be honest.

"Father! Father. The sphincter has awakened!"
--Paul Muad'Dib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

i like skarsgard as harkonnen but he's not nearly gross enough

was kinda disappointing when he popped up out of his oil bath after getting a face full of poison gas and wasn't super hosed up looking.