Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I just browse this thread to make fun of all the dweebs who play video games. Get a life! Nerrrrrrds *hops Bo Duke style across the hood of my firebird, does a burnout donut in the school parking lot, speeds off on to the road and gets immediately smashed by a speeding semi truck*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hardly ever go for all the achievements but sometimes you'll see one that looks like a fun twist on normal gameplay, or reminds you there's a thing you never tried

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of the better explanations ive seen for achievements and collectibles is that theyre a way for people to extend the lifetime of a game who are too broke to continually buy new games. so if you live in a trailer and your single mom can only afford to buy you one or two new video games a year, you can squeeze a lot more life out of that copy of grand theft auto that you got for christmas by try to find and collect all 200 hidden packages or complete all 50 stunt challenges or whatever

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

haveblue posted:

I hardly ever go for all the achievements but sometimes you'll see one that looks like a fun twist on normal gameplay, or reminds you there's a thing you never tried

I only go for them if I'm at like 80% at credit roll, and none of them are multiplayer or require a "new game+".

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't hunt for them either really but I've gone out of my way sometimes for a few that seemed fun. They just add more poo poo to do in the game

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

FMguru posted:

one of the better explanations ive seen for achievements and collectibles is that theyre a way for people to extend the lifetime of a game who are too broke to continually buy new games. so if you live in a trailer and your single mom can only afford to buy you one or two new video games a year, you can squeeze a lot more life out of that copy of grand theft auto that you got for christmas by try to find and collect all 200 hidden packages or complete all 50 stunt challenges or whatever

lmao source those quotes

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

FMguru posted:

Achievements are for building fake rapport with the users, priming them for better Skinner boxing and increasing their susceptability to the sunk-cost fallacy.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I mean my neph is broke as a joke and definitely has done this with GTA5 but there's just only so much time in your life to do that with multiple games.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i'll never understand nerds trying to get all the achievements

i understand it hypothetically. like, when achievements are "do a cool trick" and the game is fun, i'm like sure i'll do a fun trick! i'll try a wacky build or whatever! new things to do in a game i like, it's kinda like a new level with existing assets!

but usually they're at best "do the same thing a thousand times with minor variations." the general case is just "do the same thing a thousand times." sometimes it's rote repetition to collect bear asses, sometimes it's something really difficult that takes a thousand tries to get right but the effect is the same: A BIG NO THANK YOU!

more power to the people that have fun doing that. little jones and i are playing mario odyssey and we're about to the point where all that's left are terrible challenge moons that i am absolutely not interested in getting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got all the cheevos in maneater because they were all fun to do and most i got just in the course of playing the game

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i quit playing maneater because i wanted a chill be-a-shark game where i could occasionally eat people, but instead it kept giving me missions to kill alligator buddies that i was incredibly bad at

i think that the fights were supposed to be easy but the combat/controls never really clicked for me

i got all the achievements on the afterburner remake that was on the xbox live arcade for 360. i think that's the only only one i've done (the plat or whatever was basically "beat the game" iirc)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i quit playing maneater because i wanted a chill be-a-shark game where i could occasionally eat people, but instead it kept giving me missions to kill alligator buddies that i was incredibly bad at

i think that the fights were supposed to be easy but the combat/controls never really clicked for me

i got all the achievements on the afterburner remake that was on the xbox live arcade for 360. i think that's the only only one i've done (the plat or whatever was basically "beat the game" iirc)

Abzu, you get to ride with a bunch of shark buddies.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

shoeberto posted:

there's just only so much time in your life to do that with multiple games.

preach it bother- 120 stars takes a long drat time

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

MrQueasy posted:

Achievements are for building fake rapport with the users, priming them for better Skinner boxing and increasing their susceptability to the sunk-cost fallacy.

:drat:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FMguru posted:

i did this just fine in this nes/snes era without cheevos

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I 100%ed crackdown on the 360

I got those fuckin orbs

:orb:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I almost got all the temples and seeds in botw.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm 100%ing isaac because the achievements are 'beat the game with this character' and i enjoy playing the game and enjoy the challenge

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
in a couple years im gonna have all the snowrunner goals finished

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only game i've ever gotten 100% in is batman arkham knight, and i got 225% and the gold batsuit actually because that game is just fun as hell

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i actually didnt play the 3rd one... just arkham asylum and arkham city... loved them both, tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

Abzu, you get to ride with a bunch of shark buddies.

gently caress yeah abzu owned

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my most recent 100% was nms and that's because I liked exploring so much I decided to do the permadeath run, doing that triggers the hard achievement as well so I skipped an extra playthrough. only took four tries and a few very lucky game timing quirks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i think Sekiro is my sole 100% of the achievement era

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I 100%ed super mario world, which is probably the most annoying game to do that for because it just has a counter of the number of levels you've beaten which tops out at 96

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

I 100%ed super mario world, which is probably the most annoying game to do that for because it just has a counter of the number of levels you've beaten which tops out at 96

some of those star world levels are gnarly as hell too

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kazinsal posted:

some of those star world levels are gnarly as hell too

tubular, even

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Roosevelt posted:

i'll never understand achievements

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Truman Peyote posted:

i did too back in 1991. several times

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'll go for achievements if they just involve slight challenges or are at least fun, but i am never doing poo poo like "beat the entire game without dying", or "beat <hard boss> using <joke character>"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the only game i've ever gotten 100% in is batman arkham knight, and i got 225% and the gold batsuit actually because that game is just fun as hell

i noped out of that one pretty hard the first time i had to drive the batmobile

i should give it another shot since i liked asylum and city a lot

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

arkham asylum is the perfect map size and density for a video game, imo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

arkham asylum with the more varied combat and boss fights of the later entries would be a perfect video game

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Arkham Asylum owned bones and I never had any real impulse to follow up with the sequels. I'm sure they're fine but it just did what it did so well that I was totally satisfied.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

haveblue posted:

i like achievements like this. banished is a great sandbox game with no built in goals, the achievements act like specific scenarios for you to handle:
  • In a single year, produce at least 2000 food each from hunters, gatherers, fisherman, pastures, fields, and orchards.

• Using a harsh climate and a small mountainous map, maintain a population of 50 people for 20 years.

• Reach 400 citizens without building crops fields, orchards, or pastures.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
achievements that are just "win 50,000 matches" are stupid and lazy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
in nier automata you could buy trophies with the in game currency once you hit endgame and at that point you have too much to spend anyway. it’s one of the few if not the only plat i have.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my rarest steam achievement is from knocking out every other player at a poker table which tbh is pretty hard to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think I did actually grind some cheevos for Terraria, but that’s mostly because after you beat moon lord there’s nothing left to do