Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Finally decided to check out Sicario, I think I sweat out all 3 rum and cokes I was drinking while watching it.

edit: aw poo poo I hate when I start a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Noam Chomsky posted:

Everything but thinking machines - self-aware A.I. - is allowed.

They specifically mention calculators though, like that's the baseline for the restriction.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Wow this is pretty racist lol

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

“I can’t buy the non-white actor as a legendary warrior, regardless of the directorial and authorial intent.”

This didn't occur to me at all. His traits are described fairly clearly, but neither actor exhibits a "dark round face" or epicanthic folds and both have brown eyes, so.... neither actor really meets the description.
The book says outright that in single combat Gurney would beat Duncan more often than he'd lose.
For me, Jason Momoa has never been able to pull of anything resembling scary or dangerous, going all the way back to RONAN DEX. (Shrug), it's fine, it's really unfair "book weight" dragging it down for me, and the way Idaho is described and his massive reputation would be difficult for anyone to pull off, and all the examples we've had so far really haven't.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Doesn't help that the fight choreography was rear end.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Llamadeus posted:

I know a lot of people wanted this movie to be made and consider it a success (artistically), but this is worth considering.

Dune has already been adapted once as a movie and once for TV. You could just adapt a different book, or make sometihng original, rather than produce another adaptation of Dune that's awkwardly split in two.

We could use the same logic to argue for not making the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There was already an adaptation that was only 23 years old by the time of Fellowship's release (and which, like Lynch's movies, has its supporters). The Dune miniseries is 21 years old and the Lynch movie is 37.

I'm pretty glad LOTR exists.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
True, though the original context was that Dune Part One suffers greatly from its split narrative (with a second part not even guaranteed). I don't think the LotR movies do to the same extent, and had a few more changes in structure to fit its format. And all the parts were also produced concurrently.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Fellowship of the Ring ends in the same place as this Dune movie.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Finally decided to check out Sicario, I think I sweat out all 3 rum and cokes I was drinking while watching it.

Sicario was very good. I read some of the plot for the second one and immediately thought “Well I’m not watching this poo poo for sure.”

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Sicario is a deeply stupid film that looks very good and has good actors in it so you don't really question it, the entire plot could have been lifted straight from Burn Notice (which is fitting because the Burn Notice guy is in it saying cool Burn Notice lines for a bit)

incoherent posted:

He can easily side step it and not call it a directors cut. Call it a "expansive world cut" or some poo poo. He's the few that could still command as "close to final cut" rights as possible and I feel this is a "cinema vision" of dunc. Also he's need to start wheeling and dealing to generate post-movie revenue to get a part 2 filmed. Being amenable to the thought of a larger cut would go a long way.

Lol I like that the plan to trick him into doing a director's cut is by calling it DUNE: The Atreides Unrated Cut

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 26, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Dr.Radical posted:

Sicario was very good. I read some of the plot for the second one and immediately thought “Well I’m not watching this poo poo for sure.”

Yeah I'm not really that interested in the sequel, it was already a good complete movie, but you know how everything needs to be a cinematic universe. I heard they're planning a 3rd.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Re: extended cuts, part 2

Folks should temper their hopes with the knowledge that the studio making these decisions is WB

If there's a way to gently caress it up (and bonus, harm some employees) they won't be able to resist taking it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
Are director's cuts even a big moneymaker? I thought they only existed either to satiate a director who was unsatisfied with the studio version (I Am Legend, Babylon AD), to make a small group of hardcore fans spend a little extra (LOTR) or, in one special case, to desperately get comic book fans to shut the gently caress up (Snyder Cut)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

There's a driving scene in prisoners which did this to me too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Tankbuster posted:

Fellowship of the Ring ends in the same place as this Dune movie.
They shot all 3 LOTR movies at once and released one each year.

Dr.Radical posted:

There's one scene which almost lives up to the original but otherwise it felt like an early rough draft attempt at a prequel that somehow got turned into a sequel by committee.

kater posted:

i clicked on some links in the dune wiki and got to a never made french 70s movie featuring 2000 extras pooping.

where would that scene have been in this?
No one was or ever would be prepared for Jodorowsky's Dune

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 26, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
People on Reddit think this “tarantula” from Incal is the inspiration for the spider

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I don't buy it. My theory is that he slammed his fist on the table, saying "make it le weirder" and bdsm spiderman was the result.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Sicario is a deeply stupid film that looks very good and has good actors in it so you don't really question it, the entire plot could have been lifted straight from Burn Notice (which is fitting because the Burn Notice guy is in it saying cool Burn Notice lines for a bit)

Lol I like that the plan to trick him into doing a director's cut is by calling it DUNE: The Atreides Unrated Cut

Alright, I’ll bite. Why is it a “deeply stupid” film? I thought it had the pretty correct notion that the CIA and special forces are full of psychos who are very cavalier about killing and torturing people and just generally not really giving a poo poo about the law to do so. Of course the idea that an FBI agent would be against that is dumb but she serves as a surrogate for the audience. I haven’t seen Burn Notice so I don’t know what you’re taking about there.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
After all of this Lynch Dune praise I decided to watch it again on HBO Max. I haven't seen it since like 8 years old. I remember it being boring but I thought the same for Blade Runner and loved that upon adult rewatch. It was still boring, corny and white. Also Paul is the actual space jesus to the indegenous white Freman. That kinda of misses the whole point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

Doesn't help that the fight choreography was rear end.

I loved this movie, so this wasn't at the forefront of my mind while watching it, but now that I've had a few days of distance from the viewing I'm more and more comparing the melees in this movie to The Last Duel, and the comparison isn't flattering. The fight scenes in Dune are, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, like something out of a YA movie; they're some typical mediocre acrobatics and spinny strikes, lacking any of the visceral weight and violence showcased in The Last Duel. The knife fights are one of the weaker points of the film and it's a shame considering how central they are to the aesthetic.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 26, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Horizon Burning posted:

there's a dude in GBS who angrily insisted that dune was a failure because it didn't match the step by step heroic journey plotline in the save the cat screenwriting book. he spoke as a writer. a writer whose biggest achievement was getting almost selected in some family guy scriptwriting competition.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I've pitched to Frederator Studios and Comedy Central and came in the quarterfinals in last year's Scriptapalooza for an American Dad spec script.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've seen other doofuses who believe that "the heroes journey" is a set of rules you have to follow. Does it get taught like that in bad writing school, or do fools just fall into the same wrong beliefs?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've definitely had it laid out to me in lock step before, but I can't rememer if that was in an undergrad writing class or just some poo poo a star wars fan cornered me about at a party :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bug Squash posted:

I've seen other doofuses who believe that "the heroes journey" is a set of rules you have to follow. Does it get taught like that in bad writing school, or do fools just fall into the same wrong beliefs?

I'm guessing a little of column a, a little of column b.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I mean, it's useful as a write-by-colours guide to make a reasonably satisfying story, and to analyse academically as a common trope.

But by gum does it attract dogmatic thinkers.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's one of the most embarrassing things I've read in a while , if you listen closely you can hear Craig Mazin screaming in the distance

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 26, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

We could use the same logic to argue for not making the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There was already an adaptation that was only 23 years old by the time of Fellowship's release (and which, like Lynch's movies, has its supporters). The Dune miniseries is 21 years old and the Lynch movie is 37.

I'm pretty glad LOTR exists.

Lord of the Rings, as written, is a much stronger and easier starting point to make an adaptation from. The structure of the stories are completely different. Dune's a weird book for a lot of reasons so as written I think needs far more manipulation to the story to make a successful adaptation. Denis adapted by removing, but what remained was stretched out and embellished and slavishly accurate to the book, leaving the pacing feeling off and some moments with no context, unless you already know the book. This was my worry going into it, that Villeneuve would treat the property too reverentially.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My elderly parents who have never read the books could follow the movie just fine so I dont know where the idea that the movie was hard to follow is coming from.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bug Squash posted:

I mean, it's useful as a write-by-colours guide to make a reasonably satisfying story, and to analyse academically as a common trope.

But by gum does it attract dogmatic thinkers.

Campbell carries little academic weight these days beyond acknowledging that many people after Campbell used his framework as a formula. It's broadly understood that he's less observing universal characteristics of myths and more trying to stuff every myth he can find into a framework he invented.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

On the topic of the fights, I haven't read the books so I don't know how they're described, but the fights just looked like they consisted of normal slashes and whatnot. It seems weird to me that a style that needs to adapt to the kinetic shields (or whatever they're called) just kinda looks the same as any other sword fight, without being adapted to having to slow down for the kill. I kinda expected a style that's more grapple based so that people couldn't dodge away from the slow moving knife, but I guess my question is whether that's how it's "supposed" to look.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I was going to make a joke about how I bet he's a big fan of that "Save the cat" nonsense, but he actually refers to that in his post lmao

An Ounce of Gold posted:

What Fog is trying to say (and they are right) is that it doesn't have a traditional story structure. Most successful movies follow the same 15 beats. Skip this part if you already know this, but if you don't I would suggest picking up Blake Snyder's Save the Cat. It's a streamlined take of the classic hero story in 15 beats. I can write out the 15 beats for every movie and show I watch. I cannot do that for Dune. I can get through 1-4. The movie ends at the Catalyst. He's now at the point of no return. That's great, but it's like one third of the story clearly.

Reminder that Blake Snyders most notable credit is for writing the script for "Stop or my mom will shoot" lol

And nerds treat it like some sort of unimpeachable gospel

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Give me a poorly-paced cut then!

is there anything else??

stratdax posted:

Lord of the Rings, as written, is a much stronger and easier starting point to make an adaptation from. The structure of the stories are completely different. Dune's a weird book for a lot of reasons so as written I think needs far more manipulation to the story to make a successful adaptation. Denis adapted by removing, but what remained was stretched out and embellished and slavishly accurate to the book, leaving the pacing feeling off and some moments with no context, unless you already know the book. This was my worry going into it, that Villeneuve would treat the property too reverentially.

I agree with this. If one wanted to make as straight and unmodified an adaptation of Dune the novel as possible, I think it would've been better served as a 10-12 hour HBO miniseries that allowed time to build the characters better, rather than a 5 or 6 hour set of movies. If it had to be a movie, then I wish he had taken more liberties than he did, because I thought the movie we got was a competent adaptation of half-a-novel that somehow feels both rushed and too slow-building at the same time.

I like a lot of things about this movie, but I'm not sure that the sum was any greater than the parts. I love this shot of an enormous craft rising from the water... that only lasts for two seconds before we have to rush to the next scene. I like this character's one-liner and the glimpse it gives into that character, and wish we had more conversations from them rather than one or two lines before they vanish for most of the movie.

I thought the movie was fine, not great and not terrible. I just didn't like it as much as I hoped I would, and I'm convinced now that a 2.5 hour movie is just not the ideal medium for a faithful adaptation of half of one of the densest sci-fi novels out there.

e: one last thing - shame on the coward denis for not showing me the guild navigators. david showed me those weirdos early and often, where's your version, denis? give me those freaks, I want to see what you've got

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 26, 2021

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Lol people in the dune thread really do be saying sicario is a “deeply stupid film” I give up

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is there another movie that splits a book into two movies other than Mockingjay?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

gohmak posted:

Is there another movie that splits a book into two movies other than Mockingjay?

The last Harry Potter

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

gohmak posted:

Star Wars

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Hobbit.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The last Divergent did as well, but shat the bed so hard part 2 didn't get made.

Everyone got greedy when they saw Harry Potter pull off that naked cash grab.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Passion barely covered any of the book!!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Passion barely covered any of the book!!

Ok no bible movies because that list is extensive.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Dr.Radical posted:

Alright, I’ll bite. Why is it a “deeply stupid” film? I thought it had the pretty correct notion that the CIA and special forces are full of psychos who are very cavalier about killing and torturing people and just generally not really giving a poo poo about the law to do so. Of course the idea that an FBI agent would be against that is dumb but she serves as a surrogate for the audience. I haven’t seen Burn Notice so I don’t know what you’re taking about there.

The CIA stuff is fine, they almost certainly do dumber and more violent things every day in real life, and honestly, Josh Brolin is so good as a CIA sociopath that his performance and a bunch of extremely good shots of the desert are almost enough to carry an entire film.

The main character being both a world-weary experienced FBI agent and a fawning naive victim who is perpetually horrified that the government lies and kills people is indeed very silly. Benicio's character being a lawyer who trained to become a badass assassin to avenge the death of his family is right out of a gritty 90s comic book (the sequel basically embraces this). The cartel change their MO in almost every scene: in one scene they're covertly bribing a cop to secretly strangle her, but in another they're overtly starting an international incident by getting into a gunfight with a group of federal agents at the US port of entry in broad daylight. They also have a house full of dead bodies and Jigsaw traps in the US for some reason. Its basically an accidental depiction of the border crisis through the lens of Fox News graphics about why we need to build a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

gohmak posted:

Breaking Dawn