Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizzatime

hey byob I'm into books now and I like the scary ones that are like so scary that ur like afraid of the universe instead of your basement

some of those ones talk about native americans as though they were a particular type of coyote though, so I wanna just post some that I've read where I didn't feel like sad while trying to be spooked. feel free to do the same pls

that's the fisherman. it's good and cool and a 3.8/5 or some such. reading it is not a bad idea

this is like an audio play in german and it's set between alien 1 and 2 I think. it's super cool but I don't think it's as cool in english. might just be a single guy reading it. also it's somewhat racist. there's a character called sanchez with a thick accent that goes "si, si" and "dios mio" so idk about that

havn't read any of these but I bet they're good and maybe there's no racism in any of them? top two are sci-fi, the two without a spine-title are both the king in yellow (which in the arkham horror board game is what the only asian character is holding in her character portrait) and the bottom most one is medieval horror stuff

if you wanna recommend a thing would be cool if you had like an image cause I judge books by the cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
alien in the shitter

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

biosterous

The Magnus Archives is a podcast that goes to cosmic horror places, but it takes a while to get there

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Highly recommend reading all of Jeff VanderMeer's stuff. For real.

Pizzatime

Mormon Nailer posted:

annihilation has been pretty interesting so far. even heard about this reverse tower thing somewhere before and was like no way now I'm actually reading that story when I got there

boo-osterous posted:

The Magnus Archives is a podcast that goes to cosmic horror places, but it takes a while to get there

fiction podcasts sound interesting. I'm all nonfiction when it comes to those but only really cause I didn't realize there's more than that

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pizzatime posted:

annihilation has been pretty interesting so far. even heard about this reverse tower thing somewhere before and was like no way now I'm actually reading that story when I got there

It gets so much darker as you read through the series. I loving love it. It's digestible and short but DENSE imagery.

nut

Mormon Nailer posted:

jeff is cool if it helps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

nut posted:

jeff is cool if it helps

His tweets are very good and worth a follow, as he is a giant nerd and his wife is one of the best editors in speculative fiction.

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
I'm going to recommend the Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins.

nut

byob superstar Android Blues recommended The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling to me and it was very, very good! It was the first horror fiction I have read in forever but perhaps it is time to check out more from this thread...

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm reading that right now! I forgot who suggested it, someone here though.

:sweatdrop:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

nut posted:

byob superstar Android Blues recommended The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling to me and it was very, very good! It was the first horror fiction I have read in forever but perhaps it is time to check out more from this thread...

I'm gonna download it now. I trust your judgment and I trust Android Blues's judgment when it comes to books.

HanzoSchmanzo

Roadside Picnic! If you liked Annihilation, it's going to be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
As I often remind in book related threads. Do not forget your local libraries! A lot of them offer Overdrive and other similar services that have access to thousands of e-books, many of which can be sent to your e-readers!