Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Have you ever wonder if conspiracy theories were real? Are we being watched by The Deep State? That the most basic things and facts were all just a convoluted plot to control us at our very being? It's not, but let's pretend it is!

Inside job is Netflix's new adult animated series. It's created by Shion Takeuchi who wrote for shows like like Regular Show and Gravity Falls. Speaking of Gravity Falls, its creator Alex Hirsch is the head producer for this show and what he was working on after Gravity Falls ended, so you see a lot of his creativity throughout it.

The show revolves around Regan Ridley and her goal to become the head honcho of Cognito Inc., a company which controls practically every aspect of modern society and the reason behind nearly every conspiracy theory out there. Only thing higher than that is the shadow r robed figures that watches over everything. It's her dream, but her coworkers, her father, and her own attitude gets in the way.

Characters

Reagan Ridey (voiced by Lizzzy Caplan): The main character. She is as cunning as she is intelligent and seeks to becomes the leader of Cognito Inc. However, trying to juggle everything from her job, her coworkers, and her dad has made things complicated. She's stressed, jaded, and irrational both emotionally and socially. This is what preventing her to be fully in charge, so her boss hires....

Brett Hand (voiced by Clark Duke): This guy! He is there to help with Reagan's negativity by being overtly positive. He's.....way too positive. He is a yes man and a bit of a pushover when it comes to gaining approval by any group. Also a dumbass. His mean task is to aid Reagan with her coworkers.

Glenn Dolphman (voiced by John DiMaggio): While Gleen is the stereotypical war-hungry army general you see in media, he also had his body genetically altered with Dolphin DNA for....reasons? Mostly for America or some poo poo.

Gigi (voiced by Tisha Campbell): She is in charge of all the media we consume from movies to TV shows to the memes we like. Has a bit of an ego on her but wants to help for the cause of global control.

Dr. Andre (voiced by Bobby Lee): Cognito Inc.'s top chemist who help distributes the drugs that controls us. Also he likes drugs.

Magic Myc (voiced by Brett Gelman): A telepathic sentient fungus that grew inside the Hollow Earth. Now works for Cognito Inc. for his abilities. He's a douche.

They all answer to...

J.R. Scheimpough (voiced by Andy Daly): CEO of Cognito Inc. control's the Deep State and only answer to the shadowy cabal of figures that gives him orders.

J.R. wasn't the sole leader, it once used to be him and...

Rand Ridley (voiced by Christian Slader): Reagan's dad. He USED to lead Cognito Inc. along with J.R. but a mix of drugs, alcohol, and stress made him snap and lose his job. Now he's a drunken rear end in a top hat who cling to his daughter and tries to get back at Cognito Inc.

Just got finished watching the first season, and this is an incredibly solid show. It feels more like Futurama than Rick & Morty which people keep comparing it to. I highly recommend watching this series and it drat well better get a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I've been watching this because in these Covid times, somehow I've exhausted all other content on Netflix. I like the Ridley character, but the others seem underdeveloped and overly "zany" (granted I'm only through like episode 8 or 9). Does get bonus points from me for some Akira and John Woo references. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about a show in TYOOL 2021 that "validates" conspiracy theories even in a satirical way. I'll keep watching, but as a series I don't feel like it's quite up there with my genre favorites like Futurama, Final Space, or the first couple of seasons of R&M. I did see an article that says another batch of episodes are coming, although it's more of a "Part 2" of Season 1 than a true renewal for a second season.

Also possible spoiler: In episode 8 or 9, a quick shot of Ridley's B.S. diploma from MIT is shown, but it had a graduation date of 1999 on it, which seems inconsistent with her age, which I have the impression is thirtyish. Also, it referred to Reagan in the masculine gender, which could be taken as a production error, some kind of comment on MIT, or a reveal of something significant about the character's backstory.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 26, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really like this show and I can manage to identify with Ridley a lot. She's cool and by the end of episode 10 she got past some of her trauma. Her dad really loving sucks though. He's pretty much the reason people compare this show to Rick and Morty. But unlike that, Inside Job has a lot more positive takes than pure self destructive nihilism. The general morale here seems to be, "The previous generation is really bad and messed everything and everyone up and it's up to the younger people to fix the world, while the boomers cling to personal power." That's a good direction.

Imagine growing up in a home where your dad is called Rand and he liked that so much, that he called you Reagan. What an rear end in a top hat!
Unfortunately Reagan, and Brett were the only ones I actually liked. Brett is a bit zany, but he's a good person despite his upbringing. The coworkers were a bit one-note. J.C. was great though. Andy Daly really brings this sleazy CEO energy to the game.

The last minute is a great hook for season 2.

Number_6 posted:

Also possible spoiler: In episode 8 or 9, a quick shot of Ridley's B.S. diploma from MIT is shown, but it had a graduation date of 1999 on it, which seems inconsistent with her age, which I have the impression is thirtyish. Also, it referred to Reagan in the masculine gender, which could be taken as a production error, some kind of comment on MIT, or a reveal of something significant about the character's backstory.

Yeah, that seems weird. She did skip a lot of classes, but she didn't graduate at age 8. The show placed her age at a definitive 30 in episode 8. And according to episode 10 she had her homecoming 18 years ago.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 26, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm eight episodes in and I can't pin it down, but it feels like the show has two different writing teams

I like it, but some of the jokes land and some of them do not with a vast difference between the two

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Glad you created this, I was going to.

But you knew that already, didn’t you?

I enjoyed it, although it felt like a solid 7/10 show: the humour was ok but usually pretty heavily telegraphed and not surprising.

Re the cast: ROBOTUS >> Reagan >> Brett >> Christian Slater >> JR >> everyone else.

E: I missed Grassy Noel, he owns.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 28, 2021

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Ron Funches should get any job he wants, he killed it as King Shark and he's great as a Mothman. Get that Masters degree, Mothman!

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I watched the first ten episodes and liked them well enough, but I think the show isn't doing itself any favors by having the side characters in every episode. They're all present, but little is done to expand on who they are as characters and what they do. I feel like Gigi was the only one that I ended up understanding why she was there.

I also keep going back to something Brett said in one of the first episodes: "I forget how evil we're supposed to be." I don't think there's enough focus on what Cognito actually does.

Also found it a bit distracting that there was a crack against Facebook and/or Mark Zuckerberg in seemingly every episode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ron Funches should get any job he wants, he killed it as King Shark and he's great as a Mothman. Get that Masters degree, Mothman!

Ron Funches as Mothman is one of the most genius castings I've ever seen.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Did master weird animator JaimeR work on the JFK/Akira hybrid’s animation?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Halfway through the episodes we have available and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I was wary since Netflix original animations have a tendency to be terrible, but this one's pretty entertaining. I really like Reagan, and I'm surprised I saw so many people called her a Female Rick. She's a depressed and nihilistic super genius but that's pretty much it.

And I gotta hand it to those Reptoids, I've been enjoying K. Rool in Smash. They do some alright things.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 31, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Yasss Krang!

I enjoyed this for the most part, looking forward to the next set of episodes and hoping it gets renewed for more!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I gotta admit, the overall plotline hasn't grabbed me as much but it's got some decent gags. The "WAKE UP SHEEPLE" one was pretty inspired.

I'd watch a second season.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm only a few episodes in, but I adore this show. The rapid fire jokes and crazy amount of background details is amazing.

The show really benefits viewers who are familiar with The Illuminatus! Trilogy levels of conspiracy theory history back before it all turned fascist and weirdly far right.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Really enjoyed and actually was up for a rewatch right away.

It's also really cool to see a half-Asian/half-white neurodivergent person being portrayed :3: I feel so represented

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was funny how poorly censored all those dick pics were.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Show is good.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Nameless Pete posted:

Show is good.

Oh goddammit....

Anywho season 2 is greenlit and in production. Probably get it by fall of next year.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Waffleopolis posted:

Oh goddammit....

Anywho season 2 is greenlit and in production. Probably get it by fall of next year.

good

the show's flaws are small and a little weird but I think they can be smoothed out; I think it's likely to get better rather than worse

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Just watched it, and the thing that impressed and surprised me the most was how inoffensive it ended up being with a premise that was a series of landmines.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It mocked a lot of dumb conspiracy theories without being overt “if you believe this you are dumb” apart from the flat earthers but… yeah.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Liked it. The "What if Mr. Robot, but Futurama" vibe is working for me.

I have no idea why Reagan's manic underbite is so endearing, but there it is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show was def better than I’d been led to expect, although not perfect. I love Brett Gelman and DiMaggio’s characters and the Buzz Aldrin episode was great. I could definitely see the next set of episodes improving.

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
Part two is out, leaving season one with a total of 18 episodes. We also have a season two confirmed.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The writing is as tight as it could be, but the attention to detail in the background is a lot of fun, and the premise is good.

All the pieces are here and I feel it's pretty close to an outstanding show.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm eight episodes in and I can't pin it down, but it feels like the show has two different writing teams

I like it, but some of the jokes land and some of them do not with a vast difference between the two

Just plowed through the whole thing, and this was my takeaway too. There's some brutally funny poo poo in here, but it's mixed in with a lot of brutally low-effort filler, and despite being so high-concept it often feels very...safe? OP's observation that this is more Futurama than Rick and Morty is on the nose, and it's a much more generous comparison, because going by the latter standard this is mostly in the C+ range. It's getting better as it's going along, so if there's more to come I'm on board; I know I sound negative, but I actually like this quite a lot, it's got a ton of charm. ROBOTUS is the star and they need to make better use of ROBOTUS.

Also noted by other people, but the best thing about this is the casting. It's loving stacked, from main cast to bit parts. Surprised and delighted to discover that Bobby Lee wasn't thrown into a volcano decades ago.

In conclusion: Inside Job is a land of contrasts, but it's worth a lazy watch.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I loved the Party Down nod of sticking Reagan in a caterer's uniform when she hooks up with Adam Scott.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just watched both seasons of this. The S2 ending very much needs a season three, because it's either good or terrible depending on whether you're supposed to take it at face value. I'm pretty sure the point is that Reagan made a couple of really bad calls and is starting to make the same mistakes as her dad, and the narrative framing didn't highlight it to the same extent it usually does when someone is doing stupid poo poo.
I'm like 80 percent sure.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm just ready for Resting Leadership Face merch like right now.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really enjoyed Season 2.. or S1 Part 2.
Glad we won’t see more of Rand.
The show won me over with the Animorphs and Smash Bros References.
Loved seeing the Daria outfit.
Hope we get a S3.

Are the robes just different Regans?

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing

Andrew_1985 posted:

Are the robes just different Regans?

The last line of the season implies the robes aren't human. It makes me think the ending of part one was a fake competition they hosted for project X37, and that Reagan is simply their backup plan because of J.R. being unfit.

The robes are the cast of the Friends. They had to find a new sixth member back in part one because Rachel tripped on her robes and died.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just finished second episode of first season. JFK impressions are always fun and this episode had me tickled silly.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"The fifth Loko is time"

Love this show.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finished season two like a week ago and thought it was good. I actually powered through the last few episodes in a row because I was enjoying it. Some jokes got me to laugh out loud pretty hard, even if the episodes themselves were cliched setups (looking at you, center of the earth episode).

Plus those last two episodes and Regan’s plot made me so drat sad for her. It made me think about the show for a few days. Not just feeling bad for her, but also if it was the correct, ethical thing to do. Good writing for a romance subplot.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I was just happy to get a reunion of these two.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Nameless Pete posted:

Show is good.

No loving way is this real?

Fun to know a goon is doing art for this show I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loss is a huge, massive, Internet-wide meme. It’s not a goon thing by any means

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Finished it all now.

Really good fun throughout. But they’ve still not answered the biggest question of them all:

why does JR look like Stephen Colbert?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Because he works out.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Netflix canceled the show unfortunately. Thought it was confirmed as renewed a few months ago.

https://twitter.com/shhhhhionn/status/1612257517165514753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

show bad