Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Have any of you nerds gotten your houses rewired for optical 10/25G? We have 1g ethernet and large media imports are slow and annoying. Also if I could edit straight on the NAS that'd be ace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Have any of you nerds gotten your houses rewired for optical 10/25G? We have 1g ethernet and large media imports are slow and annoying. Also if I could edit straight on the NAS that'd be ace

if you're using hdds you won't really see a benefit from going from 1 to 10/25. 10 would let you in theory get maximum throughput with sata ssds, which tends to cap out at around 4 Gb/s. m.2s could in theory saturate a 25 Gb/s connection, but in practice you're unlike to ever see anywhere close to maximum speed on them unless you're doing disk cloning in my experience.

editing video files/large files is always going to suck over a network because you need really fast read/write times for small random blocks, which storage isn't that great at. you need ram for that

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

needs lots of SSD and RAM? lol i think my new NAS could do it

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

problem is that it doesn't matter how fast your network is, it will never be fast enough to keep up with ram. You would need a network capable of ~350 Gb/s to do so with ns latency

the speed of light is ~0.3 m/ns, so you're already sunk if the cable is more than around 8 or 9 m long, and that's not taking in to account the rest of the signal pathway and processing time required

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

if you're using hdds you won't really see a benefit from going from 1 to 10/25. 10 would let you in theory get maximum throughput with sata ssds, which tends to cap out at around 4 Gb/s. m.2s could in theory saturate a 25 Gb/s connection, but in practice you're unlike to ever see anywhere close to maximum speed on them unless you're doing disk cloning in my experience.
I work with stills so I'm never actually editing on SAN, but imports/exports taking forever is annoying. A single drive pushing sequential IO can already saturate 1GBE, I know what I want.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I work with stills so I'm never actually editing on SAN, but imports/exports taking forever is annoying. A single drive pushing sequential IO can already saturate 1GBE, I know what I want.

yeah i mean if you're already saturating it then go for it. a guy at work has his house fully wired with fiber and loves it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the main problem with running really fast ethernet networks at home is that you're usually just a single user and traditional file sharing protocols and tcp/ip don't really scale well unless you are doing lots of things in parallel

the industry has come up with stuff like RoCE where the network adapters and switches handle the ugly details of getting a chunk of memory from one host copied into a chunk of memory on another host but you have to really research what hardware you get to actually make it work

if your file server is full of nvme drives and 100gb ethernet it's pretty much a requirement to avoid a huge cpu bottleneck trying to deal with a bajillion tcp/ip packets per second

i think for 10gb ethernet you'll probably be able to get full performance just from using SMB3 multichannel

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 22, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah its not just line speed either. you need to go to big MTUs and poo poo yadda yadda (we use 9000 byte MTU inside our racks at work), tune things to hell and back

put it this way

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

because you need really fast read/write times for small random blocks

when i first set up my nas i didnt have the cache drives and a time machine backup from my laptop took like 45 minutes even though it wasnt even nearly tickling gigabit. after i added two $29 cache SSDs for dem iops, it dropped to like 6 mins.

IMO DAS is the way to go for poo poo like that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah its not just line speed either. you need to go to big MTUs and poo poo yadda yadda (we use 9000 byte MTU inside our racks at work), tune things to hell and back

put it this way

when i first set up my nas i didnt have the cache drives and a time machine backup from my laptop took like 45 minutes even though it wasnt even nearly tickling gigabit. after i added two $29 cache SSDs for dem iops, it dropped to like 6 mins.

IMO DAS is the way to go for poo poo like that

that cheap an SSD already helps huh?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah even cheap trashy 256g m2 drives in the cache drive slots on the 4-bay syno's are night and day. must have imo. i also upped the ram from 4 to 12 with a generic sodimm, plenty o room now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

oh yeah even cheap trashy 256g m2 drives in the cache drive slots on the 4-bay syno's are night and day. must have imo. i also upped the ram from 4 to 12 with a generic sodimm, plenty o room now

ight got myself 2x 250GB from Lexar (whatever, they were €33) and a 16GB SODIMM

Gonna hold off on getting extra storage until my current 4TB fills up because even shucked drives ain't cheap

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol see the pvc piping? it’s gonna hang some fabric, essentially a curtain, so outsiders don’t see much. maybe this will end up looking too imposing. or maybe i’ll only do the front and not the sides. dunno yet. I still sound like garbage but focusing on things i can change instead

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

lol see the pvc piping? it’s gonna hang some fabric, essentially a curtain, so outsiders don’t see much. maybe this will end up looking too imposing. or maybe i’ll only do the front and not the sides. dunno yet. I still sound like garbage but focusing on things i can change instead

im the bird neti pot

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

that won't work because the curtains will be too heavy and it'll pivot down. you've made a long lever.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it would work for only doing the front then lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

spankmeister posted:

that won't work because the curtains will be too heavy and it'll pivot down. you've made a long lever.

he could pretty easily use a material as light as a sheet and still get his desired result. i doubt that would be enough to bend pvc pipes that wide

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just make sure its a cloudy day so god wont be able to see what you're going to do

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

simply drill holes in the bottom of the pvc and use a fog machine to create a smoke curtain

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

he could pretty easily use a material as light as a sheet and still get his desired result. i doubt that would be enough to bend pvc pipes that wide

the pipes aren't bending, the structure is. look how the pipes are attached to the board - a couple u-clamps that only have friction to prevent the whole thing from flopping over

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cut and glue (dear god i hope you're gluing this) two t-fittings into the pipe where the boards are. then buy two flat mount flanges and screw those to the boards facing up. finish with two short pieces to connect the t fittings to the flanges. (don't glue these!)

done

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
hey Jonny did you receive your nuts and bolts for you Model M?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i sure did and i totally forgot about them. tyvm

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
cool let us know how it goes when it’s done

i have an issue with mine as well and considering it but it seems like a lot of effort

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

cut and glue (dear god i hope you're gluing this) two t-fittings into the pipe where the boards are. then buy two flat mount flanges and screw those to the boards facing up. finish with two short pieces to connect the t fittings to the flanges. (don't glue these!)

done

this would work as would other ideas.. but it’s also gotta be portable, as in fit in the boot of my car along with everything else. i’ve decided either way to just go for the front curtain only anyway.

man tho I’ve made some decent sounds. It’s gon be fun

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
You could drill a hole in the pipe/mounts/bends at the points where it can pivot down, so you can then just drop a bolt in to jam it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
today's istp: migrated my nas <-> linux box connection from samba shares (yuck) to nfs (yuck, but at least a reliable thing!)

i also threw an old 250gb sata disk in the linux box to add as a nfs read cache. seems to be working pretty well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it rude for me to ask how much storage you have

and also would you consider hosting a show called storage kings

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

data hoarding is a terrible sickness

code:
zpool list
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
redz    87T  83.3T  3.68T        -         -    45%    95%  1.00x    ONLINE  -

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i just passed a major career milestone and made a thing to commemorate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMeXcut4laY

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Trig Discipline posted:

:toot:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hell yeah

now get that tenure

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

r u ready to WALK posted:

data hoarding is a terrible sickness

code:
zpool list
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
redz    87T  83.3T  3.68T        -         -    45%    95%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
gently caress dude

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

is it rude for me to ask how much storage you have

and also would you consider hosting a show called storage kings

not at all. i have four 8t's in raid5 which gives ~20.5TB formatted.

and yes i would absolutely run a reality show featuring data hoarders.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Do you really need that many babylons five

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

and yes i would absolutely run a reality show featuring data hoarders.

When I started backing stuff up to my NAS (thank you jonny) I realized I still have assignments from high school.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If any of you need HeartOfDarkness.docx please let me know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"do you really this youtube of 'kid falls on face' on your server at all times?"

"yes, yes what if i want to show someone a video of a kid falling on their face and youtube is down??"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I will say it's really fun to look at old programming assignments and see how little you've grown as a programmer since high school/college.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

When I started backing stuff up to my NAS (thank you jonny) I realized I still have assignments from high school.
Christ, I guess I'm whatever the opposite of a hoarder is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Trig Discipline posted:

lmao