Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I disagree with anyone who says Villanueve is reverential to the text. I think he was pretty drat efficient given the absurd complexity of the source material. I think trying to tell this story with dislogue that was efficient as possible lets the audience experience what it's like to live with these people. They are as out of their element as we are. I don't care to waste time for them to tell me that no one person really understands what's going on. I'm glad the Yueh backstory was what got slighted and they didn't waste time trying to teach Josh Brolin to play a fictional instrument.

In the spectrum of sci fi films on this scale, this is pretty loving good. Most science fiction filmmakers either over explain every detail in a way that cuts the audience off from their own imaginations or they try to mine humor where it isn't because they think the audience won't stay with the material if someone onscreen isn't constantly making light of everything that is foreign to the audience. (There's a small category of them who can't keep a coherent narrative going, as well).

I also love that the film tries to get the theme of trying to appreciate people who are different from us without getting too proud of itself for carrying a torch for that theme. Let me guess: people are already crying about the Fremen being not white enough or Kynes being played by a woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've seen exactly zero of either, which is uncommonly welcome.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Blotto_Otter posted:

e: one last thing - shame on the coward denis for not showing me the guild navigators. david showed me those weirdos early and often, where's your version, denis? give me those freaks, I want to see what you've got

Nothing will ever beat goldfish man with his helpers pushing vacuum cleaners around his tank.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

moths posted:

I've seen exactly zero of either, which is uncommonly welcome.

I guess I can't tell who's just trolling anymore on content like "...look at all these idiots who don't understand that the Fremen wouldn't be white...", so I shouldn't even bother worrying about it.

Mega Comrade posted:

I bet its making that assumption. Like how studios do with piracy, that's its a 1-to-1 relationship.

I actually had the movie ready to watch at home. But went to the movies for the first time in 4 years (and not because of covid) . Purely because of who the director is.

For me the cinema going experience isn't worth it anymore, except for the number of directors I can count on one hand who still take advantage of the medium.

Dune is the first time in a while I regret no shelling out extra for IMax. Normally, I regret paying extra for that but I kind of wish I could have seen the battles and desert parts (the first time) on an even larger screen.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Blotto_Otter posted:

e: one last thing - shame on the coward denis for not showing me the guild navigators. david showed me those weirdos early and often, where's your version, denis? give me those freaks, I want to see what you've got

The guys in the orange helmets in the herald scene on Caladan are Navigators of some type for sure - their helmets are filled with spice gas and you can catch glimpses of their blue eyes if you look closely. Stage One or Two I guess, not yet mutated fish people.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Someone in the thread asked if Chalamet is going to beef up for the next part.

This is how he's described toward the end of the book:

"He turned to look at Paul—a stringy whipcord of a youth, not as desiccated as the Arrakeen natives, but with ribs there to count, and sunken in the flanks so that the ripple and gather of muscles could be followed under the skin." So I don't think we'll see Beefy Timmy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here's my Villeneuve take: it took me a full four sittings to get through Blade Runner at home, this I watched comfortably in the cinema feeling I was just being tested a little on my concentration span but otherwise fully entertained.

tadashi posted:

Someone in the thread asked if Chalamet is going to beef up for the next part.

This is how he's described toward the end of the book:

"He turned to look at Paul—a stringy whipcord of a youth, not as desiccated as the Arrakeen natives, but with ribs there to count, and sunken in the flanks so that the ripple and gather of muscles could be followed under the skin." So I don't think we'll see Beefy Timmy.

Part 2 should start with Javier Bardem saying "Well Paul, you've changed a lot in the three years you've been with us" and then the camera cuts to Jason Momoa.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 26, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
HBO's Rome switched Octavian's actor to a beefier upgrade between seasons and had Marcus Agrippa explain to his mother that "army food agrees with him", but if Paul stays a string bean I guess I can't complain.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The biggest difference between LOTR and Dune in their 'adaptability' (and we might throw ASOIAF in there as well, alongside LOTR) is that the thrust of Dune's narrative is exposition, monologues and internal monologues, while LOTR & ASOIAF largely describe characters doing things, even if those things are mostly 'characters going from place to place', this is why the Lynch version starts with a massive un-cinematic exposition dump, the significance of the events of dune relies on the setting to a great extent, there are multiple factions which have to be set up, Paul is very much a person to whom the story happens to rather than a character who goes around and does things, at least in the first half of the novel.

Ultimately I think that this makes adaptations of dune just, bad cinema, at least as long as they attempt to stick to the novel to the extent that both Lynch and Villeneuve did. I already said this but to me the movie felt like a TV show with a huge budget, it even ends on what feels like an end of season cliffhanger.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GrandpaPants posted:

On the topic of the fights, I haven't read the books so I don't know how they're described, but the fights just looked like they consisted of normal slashes and whatnot. It seems weird to me that a style that needs to adapt to the kinetic shields (or whatever they're called) just kinda looks the same as any other sword fight, without being adapted to having to slow down for the kill. I kinda expected a style that's more grapple based so that people couldn't dodge away from the slow moving knife, but I guess my question is whether that's how it's "supposed" to look.

I had this same thought. Why are they swinging these fast haymakers when they know they won't work? Definitely would be cooler if it were more of a wrestling match, the awful Saving Private Ryan scene already referenced comes to mind.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
They only similarity LOTR and Dune have are being written in English. The lighting of the beacons in LOTR comes to mind as an extremely visually descriptive scene in the books that was captured perfectly in the movies.

Future is harder to envision than past (even if fantasy), religousesque masters of communication is all but impossible in film, technology/things are intentionally under-described in Dune which lets the reader fill in the gaps wonderfully. Ornithopters are a perfect example - a futuristic flying machine, that isn't a helicopter. This leaves nigh infinite visual possibilities for the reader to imagine, with it's distinctive attribute being the sound it makes.

The worms... :sigh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

I had this same thought. Why are they swinging these fast haymakers when they know they won't work? Definitely would be cooler if it were more of a wrestling match, the awful Saving Private Ryan scene already referenced comes to mind.

I just imagined that melee-shieldfighting requires you throw a bit of kinetic impact into the opponent to get them to open their guard up.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I went into Dune completely blind and I liked it enough to watch it twice.

I would write more about it but I'm feeling extremely annoyed with how many book spoilers have been inside unlabeled spoiler tags for a thread about the loving movie and not about the loving book gently caress gently caress gently caress

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
It's entirely possible I just don't care about Dune as cinema because this certainly left me cold and wondering why they keep trying (aside from obvious fan interest). I'm at the very least glad it's performance hasn't spawned obnoxious discourse about our duty to go to theaters to save big budget sci-fi from Disney or whatever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

I just imagined that melee-shieldfighting requires you throw a bit of kinetic impact into the opponent to get them to open their guard up.

Yeah, for all that I didn't like the fights, I will say It showed how you can still knock someone around with a shielded blow. I recall in Idaho's last fight there was clearly a combination of blows that started shielded and ended in a killing strike, and the shielded blows still had a purpose.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FOLKS

https://twitter.com/legendary/status/1453058884516466691?s=10

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

:hellyeah:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hooray :)

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
2une

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

You guys are talking about *this* DUNE movie, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVZ-2WuJo4

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

DIINC

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/hanszimmer/status/1453060879080038401?s=10

Give me the extra music, Hanz

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

Is there another movie that splits a book into two movies other than Mockingjay?

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallowes
The Hobbit
Infinity Gauntlet

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hello Shai-Hulud: Dune Part Two

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2 Dune 2 Furious

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

More Dunc in the trunk.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Glad there was a quick turn around on that so we didn't have to a ton of "part 2 is never gonna happen" posts for who knows how long lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
dune and duner

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

AlternateAccount posted:

Probably the same reason movie sword fighting is all super flashy and inefficient: It looks cooler than the real thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yasssss

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-s...kGe1AOjvlVK8lZ4

quote:

I just received news from Legendary that we are officially moving forward with Dune: Part Two,” the filmmaker said. “It was a dream of mine to adapt Frank Herbert’s Dune, and I have the fans, the cast, and crew, Legendary and Warner Bros. to thank for supporting this dream. This is only the beginning.”

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yay for part 2

Boo for October 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Celebration!! :)

Woot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Film it NEXT YEAR and release it in 2023, WB/Legendary.

Don’t make us wait 3-4 years.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gonz posted:

Film it NEXT YEAR and release it in 2023, WB/Legendary.

Don’t make us wait 3-4 years.

They say they're going to, Oct 2023. I feel that's aggressive and it will probably slip though

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

The book IIRC describes it as looking kinda weird. Like during the Jamis fight, Paul keeps slowing down every time he goes for the kill because of the muscle memory from shield fighting. Ofc to the onlookers it seems like he's playing, but he really can't help it at first.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I love how everyone in the dune universe is ready to recite the wikipedia page of whatever object they are holding the exact instant someone walks into range. It's in every book and it's the best part of dune and they did okay with it being in the movie.

:paul walks into a garden a man immediately starts explaining how trees work:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
2 dunc 2 idaho

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

They say they're going to, Oct 2023. I feel that's aggressive and it will probably slip though

Presumably they'll still have all the costumes and props to reuse so that'll save time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

Yay for part 2

Boo for October 2023

Just enough time to fully become a Duncspert, an expert of Dunc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

That's super aggressive unless they've secretly done a lot of the pre-production already.

e: for example the window to get the vfx done in time is going to be really tight, even if the whole film is already storyboarded