Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i shucked the drives and set up my synology last night. having some issues getting it to connect to the package store for some reason.

also if someone could pm me about how to get files on this that would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

barkbell posted:

i shucked the drives and set up my synology last night. having some issues getting it to connect to the package store for some reason.

i had issues adding a community repo this morning. cert issues

try this as root

mv /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt.bak
curl -Lko /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt https://curl.se/ca/cacert.pem

anyways do you want to use smb, afp or nfs? or ftp? it all depends on how you want to use it. first step is to add a shared folder and grant perms.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

When I started backing stuff up to my NAS (thank you jonny) I realized I still have assignments from high school.

as part of my cache drive setup for the debian box i backed up the old docs on it from my fucken 2016-2018 windows install. found so much goofy old stuff.

e: i was gently trying to force it into the thread b/c i like sharing docs to others that might help but feel free to pm me if youre not comfy, i wont tell nobody

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 26, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've hoarded all my projects, all my school assignments, every mp3 i've downloaded since napster was around, and every digital photo i've taken since 2003 and it still only occupies like 1.8 TB or so.

there's literally no way to fill these giant NASes all you people have without enormous quantities of anime that you could watch instantly online at any moment

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
until a contract expires, or a streaming provider replaces a previously good version with a garbage dub, or a production company gets into a slap fight with netflix or or or

also some of us are still on quota'd internet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also most streaming providers absolutely butcher things wrt bitrate and audio mixes. if you're fine slumming it with disney+ or whatever chopping dunc down to 5mbps with a bad stereo downmix thats fine but

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am going to watch dunc in imax. :shrug:

i have a small number of movies that i really like the look of downloaded in 4k high bitrate, sure. every time the fifth element comes out in a better resolution i will get that one again, for instance.

it's still like idk a couple hundred gigs? do you really need to see forrest gump or seth rogen stoner comedy #41 or magic nazi schoolgirl panty raid s18e119 in that format? do you really need it in your house?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the dragon ball animes are 212 gigs on their own

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're looking at around 1.9 TB if you grab the halloween movie pack off the site im on

and those are mostly 3gb rips of old things

a lot of my poo poo is aaaancient and not large in file size. Hell, my bebop rip has a burned in advertisement for an IRC channel for the first 10 secs of every episode

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres a yosposter i will not name who has, as of today, 2,046 bluray remuxes on their NAS. and they bought every single one.

its just fun to run a library.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I'm fuckin blind as a bat so a 3gig rip of anything is just wasted on me

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i just don't understand the obsessive need to "backup" every lovely tv show you watched 15 years ago

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Raluek posted:

have you tried one of the RF irons like a metcal? they make ground plane soldering way easier compared to the older wellers im used to (WTCPT, WES51) but ive never done big coax

you can score those irons pretty cheap if you're in the right place at the right time
I was going to mention this. If you solder coax more than occasionally, induction will make your life easier

echinopsis posted:

hmmmm

this is not as straight forward as I hoped.

is there something like a voltage gate.. like lets thru no more than 12v? because its likely this battery will supply enough voltage for as along as I need it, but I want to avoid damaging the synth
A buck/boost converter with good tolerances like the WG8-40S1203 (Sold as SparkFun COM-18376) might be what you're looking for. 8-40V input range with +/- 100mv output tolerance at 12V. It's 87-90% efficient so you're not losing much power. Assuming I'm reading the right data sheet for the battery, full discharge cycle won't take it below 10V, so that converter will be well within spec.

I agree with everyone saying use a lithium pack with regulated output, but if you want to go the lead battery route, that's what I would do.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont tho

lost? dexter? those got deleted years ago.

ds9? are you loving serious of course i have that.

anyways loaded some tunes into apple music (which is awful but whateverrrrrr)

and thats just the kpop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you're looking at around 1.9 TB if you grab the halloween movie pack off the site im on

and those are mostly 3gb rips of old things

Okay so that's 633 movies. If they're 90 minutes long on average and you start watching right now 24 hours a day, you'll have gotten through all of them around December 3rd.

Why the gently caress would you need to download (and store!) all of that instead of just picking the three or four you're going to watch for your Halloween party

Jonny 290 posted:

its just fun to run a library.

I don't know man. When I see giant piles of stuff just collected and never being used it makes me anxious

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 26, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cause its fun and i can buy an eight terabyte hard drive for three hours of my labor, after taxes. idk. i paid $1600 to netflix over the past nine years. my nas was cheaper than that.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know man. When I see giant piles of stuff just collected and never being used it makes me anxious

who says its never getting used?

there's usually always someone hanging out on my plex streaming

edit: to be fair, mine is not TV focused, its just all feature films

(2,038 titles at present count)

Sniep fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 26, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah a lot of us are running mini netflixes for friends that are on hard times or just plain dont wanna support shitbag streaming providers

there's reportedly a dude somewhere around here who runs not only a yospos ftp but also a fuckin direct connect hub. throwback

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

and thats just the kpop

pfff who needs mp3 when you have midi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahah nice

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I love it, you guys and your ginormous NAS’ and tons of files are ok by me.

I’d do the same if I had the time and money.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

If I had the time and money I'd be flying around the country because internet lesbians

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im still working up to fastly cache node capacity

40 1tb ssd's per 1u, 16 of those in a small pop and 32/64 in a big one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

r u ready to WALK posted:

pfff who needs mp3 when you have midi

are you at least going to keep it organized? ive got a spare cinco midi organizer sub if you need one

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
sagebrush i think you're downplaying the size of some of these. a full quality UHD bluray is 80+GB

streams are trash quality, and downloaded recompressed rips are adequate but still not great. if you have some films you really like and want to see it in full quality, they add up quick

granted most of them are more like 50-60 GB each, but i just checked a couple of mine and for example the UHD bluray rip of 2001 is 86.3GB, and bladerunner 2049 is 79.5GB

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

All of my movies are in 480p and I reëncode them to that size if they are not just out of spite

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

barkbell posted:

is your DSM up to date?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Jonny 290 posted:

this is more like what i was asking about how to find lmao

spankmeister posted:

is your DSM up to date?

ya i updated it when i set it up last night, then i had to assign a static ip to it and then its like nah i dont wanna connect. ill have to check it out later this week when i have more time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

well i finally cancelled my code42 subscription. rest in piss. that program worked real well for a long time but man it really feels like they've been actively trying to get rid of all their consumer customers over the past two years

i have two weeks to get duplicati w/ backblaze set up

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

barkbell posted:

this is more like what i was asking about how to find lmao

ya i updated it when i set it up last night, then i had to assign a static ip to it and then its like nah i dont wanna connect. ill have to check it out later this week when i have more time

so it sounds like it broke when you moved from a dhcp lease to statics. Did you give it a correct default route?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah its not getting a gateway or maybe dns servers

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
oh nice i didnt set the gateway ty

what are the sick packages

is plex good or do i do kodi

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

barkbell posted:

oh nice i didnt set the gateway ty

what are the sick packages

is plex good or do i do kodi

kodi and plex solve different problems really

kodi is the new name for the old Xbox Media Center, which was a All-in-1 media hub type deal that'd play media and dvr tv and stream stuff from network devices and other oddball things

plex is just a media aggregator and metadata engine that organizes your content and is bolted onto a competent ffmpeg transcoder stack that does pretty good real time streaming - it's the ubiquitous option that everyone is using to share their movie and tv libraries with each other

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
to put it simpler:

kodi is android

plex is iphone

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah you have to pay for plex

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

yeah you have to pay for plex

Plex metadata handling is pretty bad with a large library. Despite having everything tagged and ample metadata, Plex uses 100GB for it's own metadata on my library.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Boody posted:

Plex metadata handling is pretty bad with a large library. Despite having everything tagged and ample metadata, Plex uses 100GB for it's own metadata on my library.

i guess 100GB must be one hell of a library

I thought i had a lot at like 2000+ films and a ton of random tv / animatino separate but thats only like 17 GB

it did just seem to go thru a refresh tho a few weeks ago and maybe it consolidated?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh unless you want hdr or hw transcode you aint gotta pay for plex. it's not a bad deal at all when the lifetime pass goes on sale though.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

to put it simpler:

kodi is android

plex is iphone
So it's overpriced and often used as a substitute for personality snd sexual prowess?

cool cool cool

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
kodi is for poors that want to spend a ton of time micromanaging a consumer device

plex is for people who just want to pay the $5 or whatever it is and not worry about it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

kodi is for poors that want to spend a ton of time micromanaging a consumer device
Lovely