Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I think it's more that OWC makes horrible, incompatible hardware

I updated a user to Monterey on their 2015 11-inch MBA with a Samsung 970 EVO and there were no issues..

i didn't know at the time that you could just drop a regular m2 nvme drive into a $2 adapter from china to deal with the weird apple connector :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if you care about small features and implementation changes and developer-oriented information then a poo poo ton of stuff happens in any given os release because all of that stuff basically scales with how many programmers are working on it

if you don’t care about any of that stuff, that’s probably healthy, and it’s probably time to acknowledge that as you’ve gotten older you’ve gotten less obsessive and find random technical data that isn’t directly relevant to you less intrinsically fascinating than you did when you were 19

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

uhh what the hell

just looked at screentime on my mbp, and "twitter" has been running 33 hours this week and 155 hours last week. thats p much 24/7

but i dont have twitter

malware???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no tw[ie] in ps or launchctl

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

huh i guess its a thing

(tw reddit link)
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/qa1zvw/decided_to_check_my_phone_just_now_and_saw_a_lot/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

uhh what the hell

just looked at screentime on my mbp, and "twitter" has been running 33 hours this week and 155 hours last week. thats p much 24/7

but i dont have twitter

malware???

yeah this is what I was complaining about in like 10 separate posts itt

what is happening is that ios 14 had a bug where any web page with media element, playing audio or video, would not be properly terminated from screen time when safari would leave foreground as long as you interacted with the element, even if momentarily. that led to fake hours accumulating on sites like twitter, your local news, etcetra. ios 15 did not fix this bug, and did introduce another one on top, where every web page opened via web view (e.g. my rss reader using “in-app browser” to open a link to an hn post) would also keep contributing towards screen time while in the background, or even when closed. with ios 15 release my alleged screen time did balloon by like 10 hours due to this

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 26, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmbo good job apple

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Kenny Logins posted:

i miss siracusa osx reviews

his reviews were very cool but to be fair he also covered a more exciting time in the life of macos

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
macos bell

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
if you masturbate to the new macOS update that’s a Monterey Jack

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my company surprisingly authorized Monterey updates day one, which is very unusual

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

barely anything has changed, i had to go hunting to figure out what monterey has that big sur didnt

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a nice aquarium

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

so anyone who has gotten a new notch book wanna post a video of what happens when the mouse goes under the notch? i think we still haven't answered that question

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

they don’t wanna void their warranty

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

go play outside Skyler posted:

so anyone who has gotten a new notch book wanna post a video of what happens when the mouse goes under the notch? i think we still haven't answered that question
it passes under the notch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

it passes under the notch

someone should write an app that traps mouse cursor under the notch

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

call it mouse house and the only way to get out of it is to move exactly under the camera circle

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
long shot - who's still got a copy of the macos desktop background frozen pond without any watermarks or whatever

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
waiting for reviews of the new notch book to come out before hitting go

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vodkat posted:

there’s some early info on anandtech and verge and they seem to be positively monstrous

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there’s some early info on anandtech and verge and they seem to be positively monstrous

the notch is bad but "monstrous" is overreacting a bit

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

long shot - who's still got a copy of the macos desktop background frozen pond without any watermarks or whatever

this macrumors poster has a dropbox filled with older macos-mac os x era wallpapers, including frozen pond and the old pre x tiling ones. gonna snag them myself because the only copies i have are on barely running old macs i need to rehab

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/project-complete-collection-of-mac-os-wallpapers.2036834

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zlodo posted:

the notch is bad but "monstrous" is overreacting a bit

i meant that about the real world performance of M1 Pro/Max chips, they’re show desktop 5800X-tier performance on multicore workloads. verge wrote about the notch briefly, saying “shut the gently caress up, no one cares about iphone notch on week 2 and it’s the same thing here”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im personally ambivalent to the presence of the notch, and am just waiting for someone to bench specific software i use

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

vodkat posted:

youre going to buy it and like it you little piggy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Agile Vector posted:

this macrumors poster has a dropbox filled with older macos-mac os x era wallpapers, including frozen pond and the old pre x tiling ones. gonna snag them myself because the only copies i have are on barely running old macs i need to rehab

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/project-complete-collection-of-mac-os-wallpapers.2036834

holy gently caress thank you

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

mpb trip report: the neon pink background + tru-tone™ made the screen look like it was covered in piss

turned that off and it is a screen again. fonts in this new os are tiny

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

lord funk posted:

mpb trip report: the neon pink background + tru-tone™ made the screen look like it was covered in piss

wow sounds like its even better than expected

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

poty posted:

wow sounds like its even better than expected

oh yeah, for sure. when you restart, the screen flips back and forth between piss / not piss, and finally lands on piss on the login screen. then you can see it fade to not piss if you've turned it off in the only user account you have

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i meant that about the real world performance of M1 Pro/Max chips, they’re show desktop 5800X-tier performance on multicore workloads. verge wrote about the notch briefly, saying “shut the gently caress up, no one cares about iphone notch on week 2 and it’s the same thing here”

:ughh:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Ansible Adams posted:

youre going to buy it and like it you little piggy

too right, but I’m at least going to pretend i was cautious and consider before dropping 3000 squids on a loving laptop :negative:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
chiming in to say the new macbook pro M1max is... amazing

I'm coming from a 2017 macbook pro with a bulging battery w/16 GB ram

everything is just fast. and the audio is incredible

:cheers:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

notch demo at around 1:20

https://youtu.be/IhqCC70ZfDM

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
and the notch is a good place to hide the cursor. full screen mode completely hides the notch. it's invisible with the mini LED display. really the best display on a macbook

it's loving heavy but the flat curved edges are super nice. it reminds me of the best apple computer ever made: the Titanium PowerBook G4. g*d I loved that computer back in the day

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

neutral milf hotel posted:

and the notch is a good place to hide the cursor. full screen mode completely hides the notch. it's invisible with the mini LED display. really the best display on a macbook

it's loving heavy but the flat curved edges are super nice. it reminds me of the best apple computer ever made: the Titanium PowerBook G4. g*d I loved that computer back in the day

yeah exactly what I thought when I pulled out my 14 inch! looks like a powerbook

Tim you sonata bitch the craziest white boy to ever do it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the titanium powerbook g4 was one of the best looking powerbooks ever and im happy they broke out those cad files again

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kitten emergency posted:

the titanium powerbook g4 was one of the best looking powerbooks ever and im happy they broke out those cad files again

its either this or the 12" pbg4

i prob use my 12" more often, but honestly thats just due to it being newer and having modern wifi

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

12” was my first properly good computer. def looking to recapture some of that magic with the 14. waiting is pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/117839290796343297/902678056609677322/4aIblsEzWxQv5dLb.mp4