Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The hat wobble CGI is going to be extravagant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Huh didn't put it together than "bandit in green knight" "English grunt in black 47" and "uh somebody in Dunkirk its been a while" were all the same guy, but he was good in all of them so

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is it spoilers to tell non book readers that this will be a real-time skip, since we pick up the characters 2 years later?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Starks posted:

IT Chapter 2 was a similar timeline iirc.

Not exactly a great example of them getting it right though lol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

So is it spoilers to tell non book readers that this will be a real-time skip, since we pick up the characters 2 years later?

Speculation isn't spoilers and the film is going to diverge from the books. IDK though, TVIV solves this by having two threads but I can't see that working for 1 film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mata posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/dune-sisterhood-showrunner-exit-hbo-max-series-1252449/
This article from 2019 says the (a?) Dune 2021 writer exited the bene gesserit spinoff to work on the sequel, so there's probably some work been done since then.

Here's the latest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hope they shot Leto's scene with Paul in the palace because that's an important scene for humanizing Leto. He puts on a brave face in front of everyone except Jessica but in one scene he admits to Paul that he's taken an incredible risk. He's so disturbed by the emperor's trap that he considered taking the family military and fleeing the known galaxy rather than go to Arrakis.

It recontextualizes Leto's confident "the emperor thinks he has us trapped but we can unlock the secret of Arrakis" attitude when we know that Leto knows he's taking an absolutely crazy risk. It goes with the characterization of Leto as a bullfighter as well. All the Atreides men make insane decisions when you get down to it. Like Paul "Escape the planet and go into hiding with the Landsraad? No I will stay on Dune and become the Space Messiah!"

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 26, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay here's a question: the opening sentence 'Dreams are messages from the deep' is subtitled to the sound of the Sardaukar throat singers. Does anyone think there is a deep thematic linkage there or is it just a really cool sound?

e: another thing I'm noticing on rewatching - Skarsgård mugs the camera sometimes and it's a delightful way to make his character unnerving.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 26, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven’t seen part 2 yet, what was wrong?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Every single scary scene in the movie gets undercut with a joke that just pops all the tension. And I might be exaggerating when I say every,but it's drat close.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Every single scary scene in the movie gets undercut with a joke that just pops all the tension. And I might be exaggerating when I say every,but it's drat close.

I agree with this, but I might just cut to the chase and say that none of it was scary in the first place.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Steve Yun posted:

The "monster" designs are silly and dumb. Just big toothy grins. Constantly splitting up the cast so they can get individual scare scenes. And way too bloated.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Haha I thought about mentioning that, but from a production standpoint it seemed pretty tight - I thought the problems were pretty much all in the script. It seemed more uninspired than rushed.

edit: Thinking back there was some bad CGI but I remember that being a problem in both movies.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

The scene in the Chinese restaurant was significantly worse than that same scene in the miniseries with Tim Curry, with CGI that looked dated when the movie came out, along with the previous mentioned issues.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

NO PEOPLE TOLD ME THIS WASN'T HAPPENING THERE WOULDN'T BE A SECOND FILM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Who should they cast as the Emperor? I say Ian McDiarmid or Michael Cera.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

porfiria posted:

CGI Salvador Dali

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know for a character who is supposed to have superpowers Paul's most important superpowers are Being Famous and Paying Attention in Economics 101.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

porfiria posted:

David Lynch

e: Just kidding. Seriously, Samuel L. Jackson.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 27, 2021

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

tadashi posted:

I also love that the film tries to get the theme of trying to appreciate people who are different from us without getting too proud of itself for carrying a torch for that theme. Let me guess: people are already crying about the Fremen being not white enough or Kynes being played by a woman?

Mostly I've seen a bunch of people complaining that all the minority characters are treated like cannon fodder and that therefore Dune must be a movie celebrating colonialism, white saviors, etc. Which makes me wonder if I watched the same movie as those people.

That's pretty good casting, honestly.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Get some kpop dreamboat for Feyd, the kids will go loving nuts

Also a good option.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Automatic Slim posted:

Samuel L. Jackson.

please no, I'm so Sam Jackson'd out,

also it should be Charles Dance

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Alchenar posted:

Okay here's a question: the opening sentence 'Dreams are messages from the deep' is subtitled to the sound of the Sardaukar throat singers. Does anyone think there is a deep thematic linkage there or is it just a really cool sound?

e: another thing I'm noticing on rewatching - Skarsgård mugs the camera sometimes and it's a delightful way to make his character unnerving.

Visions are messages from the past

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dune is obviously followed by Duly.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

please no, I'm so Sam Jackson'd out,

also it should be Charles Dance

Right. The perpetual F bombs would bump Part 2 to an "R" rating post haste.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Prince would have made a good emperor. Maybe Franco Nero but he only speaks Italian, which the subtitles identify as Corrinian.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

porfiria posted:

Depends on how true they want to stay to the book. He's described as red-haired and looking no older than 35 (despite being like 75).
Because Spice extends life, something not mentioned in Part 1.
If they want to stick with the book description, Sean Harris? I'd prefer they race-bent it though.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 27, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Alright, who do you all have for Feyd, beautiful Feyd?

Harry Styles? Bill Skarsgard? Steven Yuen? Ezra Miller?

Some CG bullshit over some random actor’s face, creating a young Kyle McLaughlin.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kyle McLaughlin really wouldn't need that much makeup, dye his hair and you're pretty much good to go.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope this pandemic is finally over in 2023 and they do special screenings of part 1 and 2 back to back.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
They should get the guy that played Xerxes in 300 to play the Emperor

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

AnEdgelord posted:

They should get the guy that played Xerxes in 300 to play the Emperor

Also known as Paulo, from :lost:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

badjohny posted:

Why mess with what works...get Sting to play Feyd.

Have Sting play the Baron's dad, then have a flashback to Big Vlad smothering Sting with a pillow.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Do whatever you have to do to get David Lynch in that chair. If it takes a golden dolphin shitter throne, do it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

dreffen posted:

Also known as Paulo, from :lost:

of NIKKI AND PAULO!?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It is forbidden to create a machine that operates in the likeness of a nude Tayne.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Do whatever you have to do to get David Lynch in that chair. If it takes a golden dolphin shitter throne, do it.

:getin:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

of NIKKI AND PAULO!?

YES. Me and my wife re-watched Lost last year for some reason it struck me to look him up and yes, he's Xerxes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Can't wait to see Paul's future vision realized in Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKlToU4R_0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Needs more space pug.