Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hello. I collect miniature arcade machines. Maybe you would like to do so as well. Here are some examples of just that thing, from smallest to largest

Tiny Arcade by Super Impulse

From the makers of the World's Smallest keychains, these are less than 4 inches tall and come in stand up and cocktail models. Most of them are new ports that are very true to the originals, although a couple have been modified to fit a 3:4 aspect ratio because the company didn't want to shell out for a new mould for a landscape screen. The one exception is their version of Ninja Turtles Arcade, which, bizarrely, appears to be a port of the Java flip-phone port of the NES game. It has three levels, you can only play Donatello, and it does not include the original music for copyright reasons. It is terrible, probably cost a bunch of money to license and make the new moulds for and it has sold very poorly. There were more J2ME ports planned, but they have since been cancelled and the company has stated that it does not plan to release any more entries in the Tiny Arcade line in the future. They have repurposed the hardware into a line of credit card-sized handhelds called Micro Arcade:

Super Impulse also has a line called Boardwalk Arcade that offers virtual versions of more physical arcade games that are almost but not quite to scale with the keychains. The only one worth getting at the moment is the TMNT virtual pinball, although hopes are high for the upcoming Dance Dance Revolution machine

When buying these, be aware that for some reason they also have a line of keychains that are 1:2 scale copies of these keychains that just flash lights and make noise:

Arcade Classics by Basic Fun

At about twice the size and twice the price, these are the first ones you might actually want to sit down and play for more than two minutes. They're both around six inches tall and they're both powered by famiclone SOCs running NES ports. There is a single entry in the series, Mortal Kombat, that uses sega genesis clone hardware instead, but you deserve to know before you buy it that the blood code has been disabled on the rom

Watch out for early releases in the Arcade Classics line. They look similar to the famiclones, but they're just LCD and LED games. You can tell at a glance which is which because the famiclone versions come in boxes. If you see a blister pack, put it back!

Micro Player by My Arcade

Most of these are also famiclones, except they don't even try to hide the origins of its hardware, featuring a removable paddle stick that's just screwed into a dpad.

There is, however, a more upscale sub-line of machines that use the original arcade roms. These are much truer to the originals, with Space Invaders putting the monitor in the ceiling of the cabinet and reflecting it onto a coloured mirror, and Street Fighter using real microswitches for its controls. The Contra and Street Fighter cabinets can each be hooked up to another one using the included cable for multiplayer. They are also labelled Micro Player, but you can tell these apart from the lower end ones by the fact that they come in nicer boxes and cost twice as much. Can be powered by AA batteries or plugged into USB

Replicade by New Wave Toys

Made by and for die-hard collectors with a price to match. 1:6 scale perfect replicas of cabinets, these reproduce the tiniest details while still being playable. Every cabinet has a light-up marquee, a working coin door and a handful of scale tokens. Dragon's Lair comes with a dollhouse-scale laserdisc and player, and both Street Fighter II and 1943 come with a second tiny control board for multiplayer. The SFII controller has found some niche popularity in the pro fighting games circuit, as the smallest mass-produced fight stick that uses real microswitches

Unfortunately, as they have positioned this line for collectors, every machine is a limited edition and most of the ones you want have already sold out

Quarter Arcades by Numskull

1:4 scale, a little less attention to detail than Replicade but still good, but at a hundred and fifty bucks a pop you've got to be pretty dedicated at this point. I don't even care about these because they can't fit in my bookshelf

Arcade1up

3/4 scale cabinets you can actually sit down at and play like they're the real thing. They offer standups, cocktail cabinets, sit-down driving cabinets and even virtual pinball machines. if you've got hundreds of dollars burning a hole in your pocket and an empty spot in the rec room that's just a little too small for the real thing, maybe this is for you. They use the cheapest possible parts, but there are plenty of third-party kits available to replace the controls with genuine sanwa sticks and buttons. At this point you should probably just build a mame cabinet!

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve got all of the Super Impulse tiny arcade machines except for Mappy I think? They’re a lot of fun.

Have they announced any new ones? The most recent one I’ve seen is TMNT (which was a bit of a let down, it’s only part of the game and even then it doesn’t play that great).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's a couple new things hitting stores this week:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol wow those are awesome.

I am looking forward to the Arcade 1UP Killer Instinct machine, mostly because I can play it online.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
While they're technically muticades, the Astro City mini and the Egret II mini are both worth mentioning in this thread, no?

I've been pretty impressed with the Astro City mini and unreasonably excited for the Egret II mini:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UItWWp2Gdhc

As someone who can't shell out for a real candy cab and doesn't have the space for mini-arcades dedicated to a single game, these are a pretty great value for money, even when paying the import fees.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, let's get those and the neo geo mini and the capcom retro station in here.

Did you get any of the add ons? I'm curious about the controllers

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, let's get those and the neo geo mini and the capcom retro station in here.

Did you get any of the add ons? I'm curious about the controllers
I don’t have any of the ads ons for the Astro City, but ordered the trackball/paddle controller for the Egret, which unlocks some games intended to be played with those inputs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
They call this thing mini but is it really mini? It's basically the same height, just a bit less wide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Xmu8_sk9Y

The rotatable screen is a nice touch though, especially with that widescreen that otherwise goes to waste displaying border art. Now it can be used for displaying tiny pinball tables.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 31, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If only the screen tilted backwards for pinball, it would be a must-have

There was a guy on etsy making handmade mini astro city machines a while back with the same feature, but then the official ones came out and that was the end of that

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Yeah the official Astro City mini looks great but it had the baffling bad decision of using a widescreen.

Speaking of unfortunate tiny widescreens, China finally made some of those Pandora's Box-based countertop mini arcades what run off vape batteries that are actually attractive and with surprisingly good quality controls for the size, plus enough room inside to replace the pandora board with a more powerful rasberry pi or even x86 board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AteeiO77PuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd3ihGQtnaw

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Nice and compact pi-based tiny countertop cabinet, but again widescreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOsWEPYll0

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The new batch of chinese desktop arcade consoles is leaps and bounds better than the crap that flooded the market for years. Now you get microswitches in the controls, high res displays and sd card support out of the box

I snagged one of these from a clearance sale on some aliexpress store recently:

First impressions: Total crap, barely worth the ten bucks I paid. The gamepad mappings are wrong and can't be changed, the built-in games barely run and the battery doesn't hold a charge

Impressions after installing custom firmware: Still pretty crappy, CPS2 games chug when there's too much happening onscreen, but not bad for a little thing to keep on your desk and have a quick vs match on your coffee break. Bad for a display piece, decent to actually play, but seriously gently caress that analog stick

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 15, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DDR and Atari are up on target.com

https://www.target.com/p/tiny-arcade-dance-dance-revolution/-/A-82614574

https://www.target.com/p/tiny-arcade-atari-2600-desk-top-console/-/A-82614573

And this is how I find out that target no longer ships to Canada :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The day they make a semi-affordable 720 cabinet is the day my wallet is in serious, serious trouble.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The United States posted:

Yeah the official Astro City mini looks great but it had the baffling bad decision of using a widescreen.
About that... the Astro City Mini V has just been announced for next summer in Japan.

https://twitter.com/ASTROCITYmini/status/1471808874890276869

It uses a larger, vertical/tate display and is utterly loaded with vertical shmups.

Game list:
Moon Cresta
Zaxxon
Terra Cresta
Cosmo Police Galivan
Action Fighter
Tatsujin
Wrestle War
Fire Shark
Raiden
Out Zone (First Proper Home Release)
Sonic Wings
Truxton II (First Proper Home Release)
Dogyuun (First Proper Home Release)
Desert Breaker (First Proper Home Release)
Batsugun
V-Five
Samurai Aces
Kingdom Grand Prix
Gunbird
Strikers 1945
Armed Police Batrider (First Proper Home Release)
Battle Bakraid Unlimited Ver. (First Proper Home Release)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
lol whose bright idea was it to put a giant trackball in the middle of the simpsons arcade cabinet, permanently loving up the button layout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGzkVX7egrs

The Kins posted:

About that... the Astro City Mini V has just been announced for next summer in Japan.

https://twitter.com/ASTROCITYmini/status/1471808874890276869

It uses a larger, vertical/tate display and is utterly loaded with vertical shmups.
lol

Taito: what if we just let people rotate the tiny screen?

Sega: what if we sold them a brand new mini arcade?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 20, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Egret II Mini has been confirmed for a US and European release. No specific word on a western release date, but presumably after the Japanese release in March.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I saw this at a Cracker Barrel and I regret not buying it

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I saw this at a Cracker Barrel and I regret not buying it

mini ddr

Does anyone know what 3 songs are included on here?

This is something I would love if it included a couple games worth of music on and they raised the price to 50 or so.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

ToxicToast posted:

Does anyone know what 3 songs are included on here?

This is something I would love if it included a couple games worth of music on and they raised the price to 50 or so.

https://www.target.com/p/tiny-arcade-dance-dance-revolution/-/A-82614574

Says from the first game. There's a video on that link but i'm not getting sound, maybe you will?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

None of them are dynamite rave so who cares

quote:

The little cab is a functional game with 3 songs: KEEP ON MOVIN', MAKE IT BETTER and PARANOiA.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Taito: what if we just let people rotate the tiny screen?

Sega: what if we sold them a brand new mini arcade?

Weirdly enough, that conforms to the real cabs' designs. The Egret 2 has a rotate mechanism, while the Astro City requires you to remove the top/front half of the cabinet, unscrew and reposition the screen bezel, unbolt the monitor, pull the cage out and rotate it by hand with nothing supporting it, a two person job making the cab semi-permanent to the screen orientation because changing it is not a trivial thing.

d0s fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 27, 2021

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

None of them are dynamite rave so who cares

Let's face it Dynamite Rave and B4U are the main two songs people know from DDR, bizarre neither of those are included.

Ah, it's based entirely on the first game in the series. Makes sense now.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 2, 2022

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dell_Zincht posted:

Let's face it Dynamite Rave and B4U are the main two songs people know from DDR, bizarre neither of those are included.

Ah, it's based entirely on the first game in the series. Makes sense now.

Still doesn't explain the lack of Butterfly

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Butterfly is a licensed song, the included 3 are Konami originals.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Speaking of rotatable screens...

Atgames Legends not-so-mini arcade review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T6nx35Rihk

Arcade 1up Pro Series Announcement

-Full height instead of needing riser
-19" screen instead of 17"
-Maybe better quality controls, maybe not
-Real fake coin door, we promise

https://arcade1up.com/products/ki-pro

d0s posted:

Weirdly enough, that conforms to the real cabs' designs. The Egret 2 has a rotate mechanism, while the Astro City requires you to remove the top/front half of the cabinet, unscrew and reposition the screen bezel, unbolt the monitor, pull the cage out and rotate it by hand with nothing supporting it, a two person job making the cab semi-permanent to the screen orientation because changing it is not a trivial thing.
That's really neat

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

drat, Killer Instinct is notoriously hard to emulate, they must be putting some muscle under the hood this time around. I wonder if there's any chance of hacking the new board

The Neo Geo MVSX can be hacked pretty easily, and it can run up to CPS3. It was on sale for boxing day last week, I regret not picking one up now

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Speaking of rotatable screens...

Atgames Legends not-so-mini arcade review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T6nx35Rihk

Arcade 1up Pro Series Announcement

-Full height instead of needing riser
-19" screen instead of 17"
-Maybe better quality controls, maybe not
-Real fake coin door, we promise

https://arcade1up.com/products/ki-pro

That's really neat

I...really want the chair and mat?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Man, when the arcade1ups first came out, the street fighter cabs were on a black friday special for a hundred and fifty Canadian dollars.

So I thought to myself those look pretty cool, I'll wait for the next sale and see if they get any cheaper

I have never seen them go below five hundred since

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
"When I was your age, I had to walk 5 miles to the arcade, uphill... and all we had at home were these crappy Tiger Electronics-tier mini arcade game cabinets"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xawc-HiQow8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIi0pg9U4sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuo0njOI-qE

I remember that Pac Man one

flavor.flv posted:

drat, Killer Instinct is notoriously hard to emulate, they must be putting some muscle under the hood this time around. I wonder if there's any chance of hacking the new board
An Xbox with a 0.7 GHz Pentium 3 could emulate Killer Instinct arcade just fine, I don't know if it's so much hard to emulate as just something low end ARM CPUs can't handle well.

flavor.flv posted:

The Neo Geo MVSX can be hacked pretty easily, and it can run up to CPS3. It was on sale for boxing day last week, I regret not picking one up now
Didn't the MVSX have a weird button issue? I guess as long as they're replaceable it doesn't matter too much.

flavor.flv posted:

Man, when the arcade1ups first came out, the street fighter cabs were on a black friday special for a hundred and fifty Canadian dollars.

So I thought to myself those look pretty cool, I'll wait for the next sale and see if they get any cheaper

I have never seen them go below five hundred since
I think with the early Arcade 1up runs they must have produced too many and that's why you sometimes saw them going for a firesale at your local Walmart or even ending up at TJ Maxx/Marshalls, but since then they've gotten a better handle on the market and do more modest runs... plus, you know, the whole bundle pandemic + supply chain + shipping issues that they are trying to price in.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

An Xbox with a 0.7 GHz Pentium 3 could emulate Killer Instinct arcade just fine, I don't know if it's so much hard to emulate as just something low end ARM CPUs can't handle well.
I mean, the version of MAME commonly used on Raspberry Pis is from like 2003, so I could see where that mistake comes from.

The developer of the emulator for various Arcade1up titles, Code Mystics, did the official KI and KI2 emulators for Xbox One, so they know the territory at least.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

"When I was your age, I had to walk 5 miles to the arcade, uphill... and all we had at home were these crappy Tiger Electronics-tier mini arcade game cabinets"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xawc-HiQow8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIi0pg9U4sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuo0njOI-qE

I've got one of those, found it at a garage sale years ago, it's what got me interested in these things in the first place

It works, the batteries are just dead and I don't happen to have a half-dozen c-cells lying around

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You need a little Tom Hanks to go with that little Zoltar

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I actually just got the Killer Instinct arcade1up. As for the hacking question, I noticed the board has not only a USB port but also a micro SD slot. Which is really weird. I can't imagine it being used for anything other than hacking. Where does everyone here find info on the updates to these things getting hacked by the way?

Also when I was setting up the cabinet it asked me if I wanted to test the microphone for online play. I pressed test and it had me talk, then when it played the audio back there was silence. Is this thing supposed to have a built in microphone? I can't find documentation anywhere and I want to make sure the thing's mic isn't broken.

I remember that emulator, the game ran OK but it glitched like crazy in the fmvs and stuff. My make cabinet has a core i7 overclocked to 4.0ghz and Killer Instinct still doesn't run perfectly in mame. Every time the game says "fight on" it sounds screwed up. That issue isn't present on the arcade1up so I definitely agree that whatever they did (great programming or beefy cpu) would be really interesting to know.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Got some new machines, decided it was time to renovate the bookshelf

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Lots of reviews of the Taito EGRET II Mini are out

The Taito Egret II Mini Is A Doorway Into True Gaming History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mv0gftjJSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZhTBWOrLj8

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1499935078717476866

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 9, 2022

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Lots of reviews of the Taito EGRET II Mini are out

Gamesack did one too. It is good, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yO8jkxm3DE

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
It looked pretty neat until I found what they're asking for it. Preorders are $370 for the console + trackpad/paddle controller.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

loopsheloop posted:

It looked pretty neat until I found what they're asking for it. Preorders are $370 for the console + trackpad/paddle controller.

Don't use 100 yen = 1 USD. It's about 120 yen = 1 USD. Of course, that means that getting the system and paddle controller is just over $300 so that sticker shock is still there.

The Astro City mini went on steep discount after its release so I'm gambling on being able to get this at half price a few months from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I was looking at the Strictly Limited Games page here, which is I guess one of a couple resellers for the Western release? There's another place called Games Rocket taking preorders at the same pricing. They also say only 5000 units are getting released so it's all a bit convoluted. Here's hoping though!