Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I didn't think Red Hood could speedrun through the plot faster, but it did. Kinda sucks cause all of this is cool conceptually, but the characters and world never got a chance to develop into anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean red hood did this to itself by bungling the opening and being pretty uninteresting when doing the more standard shonen stuff. it's a shame because it has the most interesting/imaginative concept of any of the cancelled series I can think of, plus the art is good

hope the author gets another shot because red hood has a lot of potential

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I felt it got much better after the opening chapters. I also quite like the artstyle, so I am interested in what comes next from them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Make a series about the tank crabs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Even with the cultural barrier the new chapter of Witch Watch was good as always. The author’s real good at unexpected swerves for comedic and more serious touching moments.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

Even with the cultural barrier the new chapter of Witch Watch was good as always. The author’s real good at unexpected swerves for comedic and more serious touching moments.

New Horizons seems to be just like any other language book I had going through the school

The layout, the design, the weird stilted dialogue, just substitute the art for real life pictures.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

New Horizons seems to be just like any other language book I had going through the school

The layout, the design, the weird stilted dialogue, just substitute the art for real life pictures.

Yeah, outside of the names and the art styles, it's basically any language book ever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was pretty much thinking of the art style tbh, it seems like it’d be even funnier if I grew up with those crappy drawings, but saying there was a cultural barrier was probably an exaggeration regardless.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wasn't one for the Red Hood doomsaying but some of the reveals in this chapter make a lot more sense if they were intended for like, chapter 100. In particular, Velou's ability to gently caress with one's connection to fate. He's only been with Grimm a short time--that makes him seem way more loving radioactive than I imagine he was supposed to be! Plus, we just have other characters telling us how Grimm is supposed to be on the ball at this point. We've barely met her.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Is Red Hood gone for sure or is this just speculation based on the insane exposition dumps the past 2 chapters so it can wrap up by chapter 20 and get 2 volumes out?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Velou being literally Pinocchio is extremely funny.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the latter unless i missed something

last week i figured it could just be an Undead Unluck style scope expansion but this does seem to lean closer to hasty wrap up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the book could be seen as an Undead/Unluck expansion of the setting but revealing that Velou is Pinocchio seems like it is giving away endgame story.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Velou being literally Pinocchio is extremely funny.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i kept up with sakamoto for the first few chapters and drifted away from it because gag manga usually don't do a whole lot for me, at what point did it start kicking a fresh rear end in every chapter

i'm especially enjoying the disparate art styles between characters, it almost gives me yuasa vibes

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

red hood isn't confirmed cancelled but like

c'mon

it's cancelled

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A pre-emptive Rip to Red Hood
Who did not know what pacing is and paced itself like it had 200 chapters left but only got 20.

Oxxidation posted:

i kept up with sakamoto for the first few chapters and drifted away from it because gag manga usually don't do a whole lot for me, at what point did it start kicking a fresh rear end in every chapter

Sakamoto has always kicked rear end

is the cliched thing to say but it really started to get going right after the airsoft tourney-sniper fight, when The Lab arc started.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 24, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Oxxidation posted:

Hmm, it stopped being wacky assassin of the week and started having short arcs pretty early on, but they were still usually on the lighter side until the current one.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

i'm especially enjoying the disparate art styles between characters, it almost gives me yuasa vibes

I think it became more consistent during the arc with Shin's scientist friends. Seriously Shin's fight with the invisible guy and Sakamoto's fight on the train kicks a ton of rear end.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Get Murata to animate Sakamoto running through the train to jump on the other train.

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/statu...ingawful.com%2F

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: Matsui is really good at portraying how monstrous people can be (see: Neuro), and Takauji grows more terrifying each time. Knowing the foregone conclusion of history has me really wondering how the story's gonna go, precisely because it's set in stone and I want to see how Matsui navigates around that.

Mashle: I don't really care about the villains (as usual) but Mash has been peak Mash for the past few chapters, so it's a lot of fun right now. Mash being sassy to the villain is great, too.

Red Hood: I forgot to read it again.

Robocco: I forgot to read it again. I will, though.

Sakamoto: drat, poor deer head just can't catch a break, huh. Gags are good (hangover cure), and I'm interested in seeing what the last two killers are gonna do.

Also seconding that the Lab arc was where I went from "Sakamoto is sorta fun" to "Wow holy poo poo Sakamoto rules"; it's a really good arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Elusive Samurai: Matsui is really good at portraying how monstrous people can be (see: Neuro), and Takauji grows more terrifying each time. Knowing the foregone conclusion of history has me really wondering how the story's gonna go, precisely because it's set in stone and I want to see how Matsui navigates around that.
I imagine he'll change history given that the priest guy I forget the name of is from 300+ years AFTER the events going on now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I imagine he'll change history given that the priest guy I forget the name of is from 300+ years AFTER the events going on now.

I am pretty sure he existed at this time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
He's from the Sengoku Period.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Then I am pretty sure his ancestor existed at this time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Elusive Samurai: These chapters just don't do it to me, because I can never remember who's who.

Roboco: Good poo poo. I love Gorilla and Motsuo chapters.

Mashle: Mashle was in a rut, but has completely redeemed itself to me. "This magic labyrint sucks, let's kick the poo poo out of the other team instead." said the heroes.
Also loving the high speed crawling call back to last chapter.

Neru: I have no idea what's even happening anymore. :psyduck: Which one of the wavy bastards was Neru again? I think the one with the newly bleeding ear, but who's attacking who?

Undead: Cool

Magu chan: donuts? Is that a gag in this slice of life manga?

Witch Watch: Lol at those text conversations between Wolf and Morihito. This chapter was great. Even without knowing about new horizon, the standardness of those conversations got the point across perfectly.

Sakamoto was good as well. There's a lot going on right now and the story is getting interesting.

Oxxidation posted:

I almost dropped Sakamoto as well. I'll second the opinions of the others. I really liked the airsoft tournament, but it's been non stop getting better ever since. These days I either read Sakamoto or Mashle first.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I dunno why people say the opening is what hosed red hood since personally, I really liked them, but also looking at the WSJ rankings the series was doing pretty well right up until the entrance exam, which loving tanked it immediately from midrange through the floor.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, I liked the opening. This latest chapter is the only one that's had me saying it's doomed.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Red Hood’s art kind of reminds me of Dagashi Kashi but less horny. I look forward to seeing more from the artist, whether that’s Red Hood somehow not ending or another series.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I dunno why people say the opening is what hosed red hood since personally, I really liked them, but also looking at the WSJ rankings the series was doing pretty well right up until the entrance exam, which loving tanked it immediately from midrange through the floor.

It's not bad but the 1-2 of a slow opening and the entrance exam also wasting precious time killed it dead.
Its got interesting, though sometimes hard to follow, art and the weird fairy tale setting is interesting and the overarching meta plot was teased well.

I can totally believe it living on those merits until it became clear the manga cant really deliver what it promises in a timely or impactful enough manner.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel like it really needed to do another werewolf hunt as they traveled to take the entrance exam, as a better look at what to expect from those now that Velou could no longer count on his own familiarity with an area and it's people. Idk how effective it would have been but this exam just felt way too early.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Weirdly enough, I feel like the entrance exam was... okay? It's not too long all things considered, the tactics and the fights are cool, and it sneaks in some worldbuilding. Oh well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aghhh, the world is infinitely cruel. the finale of witchcraft works has gone untranslated for years, with random poorly done chapters from random groups popping up every once in a while. now there seems to be two different groups working on it, and they are both terrible. one even makes blatant mistakes with the translation, with half the lines obviously incorrect.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Weirdly enough, I feel like the entrance exam was... okay? It's not too long all things considered, the tactics and the fights are cool, and it sneaks in some worldbuilding. Oh well.
I think the real issue is you're going to like one or the other, mostly, and flipping between the two just killed it. I liked the stuff before the entrance exam, and after, more but... Well whatever.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I liked the entrance exam quite a but for the creative tactics, and I thought it was overall pretty exciting.

It's wild to think about where the series will go from here if it's NOT canceled, though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Latest Monster #8 looks like it'll be going in an interesting direction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, outside of the names and the art styles, it's basically any language book ever.

My Japanese teacher in high school, instead of using the Yookoso textbooks, used textbooks she wrote by hand. Hundreds of pages printed out and then put into binders. Due to her making them, they were generally devoid of anything but very simple images.

Amazing teacher, though I was in a weird situation when I tried to enroll in Japanese courses in college due to lacking some kanji they tested for. So I only placed into second semester Japanese, which was just trivially easy (as was the semester following it, after which I internally transferred to be a finance major and had no more room in my schedule for electives).

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Red Hood has gone beyond ordinary metatext commentary. Was this always the intended endgame? Is the author a fan of Cabin in the Woods?

I miss the crab tank.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sakamoto Days: oh hell yeah two fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Red Hood has become a metatextual critique on the nature of canceling series in Jump lmao