Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Tankbuster posted:

Fellowship of the Ring ends in the same place as this Dune movie.
Paul declaring "let's hunt some orc" seemed kind of strange, but i've never read the book so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The only choice to play the Emperor is Werner Herzog.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Automatic Slim posted:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Depends on how true they want to stay to the book. He's described as red-haired and looking no older than 35 (despite being like 75).
Because Spice extends life, something not mentioned in Part 1.

Oh so Paul Rudd

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

stratdax posted:

Because Spice extends life, something not mentioned in Part 1.

Rewatching the movie on HBO max tonight and this, along with the spices use in space travel, are covered in the first ten minutes of the movie in one of the recordings Paul listens to.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
*Narrator voice*: "On the next "Dune:"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Needs more space pug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3-Ay6VCX8

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The United States posted:

Can't wait to see Paul's future vision realized in Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKlToU4R_0

This was great but not replacing the sand worm with a Megazord was a real missed opportunity.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

The United States posted:

Can't wait to see Paul's future vision realized in Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKlToU4R_0

in all honesty, i thought this was the weakest part of his future visions. i can't not see the one fremen awkwardly cutting his charge so the sardaukar can reach him and that other fremen just softly landing on the sardaukar's shoulders and riding him down like a funfair ride.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

how did the discussion about dogmatic screenwriting not highlight the unexplained and unexplainable lengths this movie went to save the dog.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Keanu as Emporer so we can speculate whether he actually just lives to the year Dune takes place.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Automatic Slim posted:

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

how did the discussion about dogmatic screenwriting not highlight the unexplained and unexplainable lengths this movie went to save the dog.

The fact the pug survives to the end shows you that Paul isn't a real messiah, he's just another emperor with pugs laying around in his court.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Maybe the emperor is black like the Herold of change and Kynes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think herzog's an interesting choice, he's definitely got that inhuman energy but I can't see him as someone who sees themselves as above humanity. Dali encapsulated that perfectly. I really think Sting is on the right track, aging rockstar is the avenue to explore. Bowie would have been too on the nose.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Kanye seems right.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Kanye seems right.

Emperor Travis Scott in Batman costume

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Are there any notable takes on this movie (in the thread or elsewhere) that aren’t primarily about how “well” it adapts the novel? A discussion of the movie itself as cinema or even just in context of some other movies or something

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

NO PEOPLE TOLD ME THIS WASN'T HAPPENING THERE WOULDN'T BE A SECOND FILM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Telling that legendary, the production company, is coming out and riding the press cycle and not warner brothers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Emperor? Tilda Swinton easily

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

incoherent posted:

Telling that legendary, the production company, is coming out and riding the press cycle and not warner brothers.

Kinda wondering if they were actually hoping Max would make the film fail financially

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

One would speculate that it's parent company "The actual literal Death Star" was not sympathetic to the global pandemic that befell all aspects of the entertainment industry. (Parent company ATT were already squarely hosed buying Direct tv, then trying to spin it off at an insane loss and the Warner Brothers acquisition from the previous CEO)

All that poo poo is coming home to roost on probably the one good thing at WB right now... which they don't even wholly own.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

in all honesty, i thought this was the weakest part of his future visions. i can't not see the one fremen awkwardly cutting his charge so the sardaukar can reach him and that other fremen just softly landing on the sardaukar's shoulders and riding him down like a funfair ride.

I thought the vision Royal Rumble was cool and it's even cooler with the Power Rangers theme song.

But how come nobody had their Holtzman shields on?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

AnEdgelord posted:

Rewatching the movie on HBO max tonight and this, along with the spices use in space travel, are covered in the first ten minutes of the movie in one of the recordings Paul listens to.

goons 'watching' the movie while sitting in another room playing a game on their phones: "wait, what?"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I thought the vision Royal Rumble was cool and it's even cooler with the Power Rangers theme song.

But how come nobody had their Holtzman shields on?

If they're fighting in the desert the shields would have brought the worm. I don't know if like a gang of worms or just one really pissed off one.

Thanks to that bad vocal mix you probably missed that bit of exposition.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

goons 'watching' the movie while sitting in another room playing a game on their phones: "wait, what?"

Theaters are the only treatment for ADD

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I was drunk and live messaging a buddy about the movie while watching and I still caught that.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The casting is so good in this version of Dune. One of the reasons I wish more time was spent with Thufir and Yueh is the actors are so interesting to watch. Jamis' actor came out ahead and got a lot of range for a short amount of time. Even the Herald, a bit part, made a solid impression. Herald could make a fortune with gender reveal parties and subpoena summons.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Are there any notable takes on this movie (in the thread or elsewhere) that aren’t primarily about how “well” it adapts the novel? A discussion of the movie itself as cinema or even just in context of some other movies or something

Ignoring the source material- there's no humor, none. CGI is fine but not incredible. Sizing is poorly handled, a worm goes from incomprehensibly big to really big, game of thrones actor does a poor re-enactment of game of thrones swords - scenes without him are way worse. There's a vague sense of magic, but also there's not? The character from guardians of the galaxy is inexplicitly in this movie, just minus the comedic bits. The score, maybe it's divisive? I thought it sucked and added to the poor sound editing issues.

The plot is retained though, and if you don't know the plot, it's great and riveting, though as many have said, feels like an abbreviated TV season more than a film.

I guess at the end of the day, if you think Villeneuve movies are next level art, you'll think the same of this movie. If not, this is very much a Villeneuve film.

edit: timothee chalamet crushes it. excited to see what he does next.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DeimosRising posted:

Nah.

It's worth pointing out that this movie covered 2/3rds of the book--and the last 3rd of the book doesn't really have all that much plot beyond Jessica and Paul doing weird drug trip stuff, a few scenes with the Baron, meeting Gurney, and then the big climax. So there'll be, I expect, a lot more space for Villeneuve to shape the narrative.

As far as movie qua movie: honestly I'm not sure there's really all that much to say outside the context of the books. It's curiously unreconstructed in some ways--the Harkonnens are hyper-capitalist post-Geiger Cenobite nightmares, the Sardaukar are American Spec Ops Pagan Chuds, the Atreides are marginally preferable in that they're British Raj or maybe Clinton era Americans, except Paul & Co. who go native.

The Fremen are...well, they're not exactly the Mujahedeen. They're about as ambiguously ethnic as the Atreides. Chani in the opening voice over points out the Atreides are just another colonial master, which is fair enough, but what is Paul exactly? Lynch's Dune is ultimately tale of personal psychic liberation via drugs, sex, and rock-and-roll against the forces of oppression, conformity, and ultraviolence. It's hard to really get a read on this version without an ending...

I was hoping there'd be a strong OPEC/Energy/Scarcity/Water/Climate Change angle, but there's very little of the economics or physics here.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 27, 2021

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
For the sequel I sincerely hope that they fix and retcon every single complaint in this thread

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

incoherent posted:

If they're fighting in the desert the shields would have brought the worm. I don't know if like a gang of worms or just one really pissed off one.

From the book:
“Shields!” Kynes sneered. “Activate a shield in the worm zone and you seal your fate. Worms ignore territory lines, come from far around to attack a shield. No man wearing a shield has ever survived such an attack.”

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

there's no humor, none.

It is largely humorless, but what little it does use is done carefully to build character relationships. The tone is very serious for the most part, it's not a Marvel movie, but it does have a few subtle funny moments. I counted at least four scenes that I remember currently:

"Smile, Gurney." "I am smiling."

"You put on some weight, Paul?" "Did I?" "No."

"It understands" Referring to the weird-spider thing being commanded to leave.

The spit on the floor scene.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

j.peeba posted:

For the sequel I sincerely hope that they fix and retcon every single complaint in this thread

Kynes lifts her head from out of the sand "actually I lied when I said it was just sweat - that's pee & poo your drinking"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

incoherent posted:

Oh right, no I knew that. Kynes tells the Atreides the reason why the spice harvester doesn't use shields is because it attracts the worms.

It's also mentioned another time I'm pretty sure.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I'm annoyed by how much I like this

https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1452833273210556418?t=CR13kSsF8ZYq7wvqCgIw9w&s=19

kater
Nov 16, 2010

oh god I just realized aphex twin must have been sampling dune

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Witters posted:

It is largely humorless, but what little it does use is done carefully to build character relationships. The tone is very serious for the most part, it's not a Marvel movie, but it does have a few subtle funny moments. I counted at least four scenes that I remember currently:

"Smile, Gurney." "I am smiling."

"You put on some weight, Paul?" "Did I?" "No."

"It understands" Referring to the weird-spider thing being commanded to leave.

The spit on the floor scene.

fremen tea was pretty funny.

Also so was zenedeya have two lines.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Blood Boils posted:

Kynes lifts her head from out of the sand "actually I lied when I said it was just sweat - that's pee & poo your drinking"

*in creepy future-sight voice* processed in the thigh pads, muad'dib *dramatic wailing intensifies*

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

porfiria posted:

I was hoping there'd be a strong OPEC/Energy/Scarcity/Water/Climate Change angle, but there's very little of the economics or physics here.

The economics and physics are complete and utter nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Heavy vibes of George Lucas circa prequels.