Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah it frigging rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Last Kingdom is extremely close to Vikings just from the English perspective. Having some of the same cast in completely different roles is also a huge treat to anyone who watched Vikings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vikings got boring in season 4. TLK is so much better. gently caress Ivar.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It’s definitely had to spin it’s wheels a lot more to keep Uhtred around (dude would have reformed the Roman Empire from Britain, if he’d gone unchecked in the show), but its adherence to ~realism~ has always been a bigger draw then Vikings’ flirtations with fantasy...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Whoa spoilers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It’s definitely had to spin it’s wheels a lot more to keep Uhtred around (dude would have reformed the Roman Empire from Britain, if he’d gone unchecked in the show), but its adherence to ~realism~ has always been a bigger draw then Vikings’ flirtations with fantasy...

Yeah Vikings jumps the shark to an obscene amount. I watched that show for the first time just this summer and wow, what a rollercoaster of a ride. Basically Riverdale but not self-aware.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Vikings season 1-2 are the best of the show really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travis Fimmel's eyes do a lot of the work on that show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I haven’t been this excited about a new season of a show in years

https://twitter.com/josephpera/status/1453004416483790855?s=21

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I haven’t been this excited about a new season of a show in years

https://twitter.com/josephpera/status/1453004416483790855?s=21

ive watched this three times now and i dont even know why. actually i do know why: because joe pera is the greatest show on television

but i pray there is milk in that second fridge because i have a michigan friend who i rib constantly for having a "milk fridge" in his basement

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Joe Pera is a national treasure and must be protected.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Back in my day if we didn't manage our virtual pets they just died and we had to carry a pixelated corpse in our pocket.

lol i remember when teachers got wise to the things and had us turn em off in class, several kids taught eachother this trick to "pause" the game where you went to the name screen and deleted the name. All this really did was blank the screen out until you put letters back in. After school several us found our tadpoles and puppies dead.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1452694278325485572

Haha the ultimate instinct Shaggy fan art

Everyone's just throwing open their IP toy boxes and smashing owned characters together.

I think Ultimate finally clicked for other large IP holders that Smash games can be incredible brand reinforcers. Well, didn't click for Nickelodeon and no proof WB gonna do any better, but just seems like something more folks would've tried to get in on sooner. Play Station did a halfass attempt but between mediocre inclusions and levels, the changes to combat to make it not-smash were so bad. Just make it exactly-smash, they don't own a patent on two-button combos fighter games with zone-out deaths. WB seems pretty comfortable jamming IP into one crossover thing so I think they'll probably stick the landing a bit better than nick smash if WB itself is trying to get it made.

how do you think the non-nintendo characters in-smash deals work? is nintendo paying or are the other companies, or just a mutual freebie agreement since it benefits both parties?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I want a fighting game based on the Chuck Lorriverse. I think Dharma could whip Sheldon's rear end and I want to prove it

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

how do you think the non-nintendo characters in-smash deals work? is nintendo paying or are the other companies, or just a mutual freebie agreement since it benefits both parties?

i presume that nintendo pays licensing fees for any 3rd party content but that the fees are substantially reduced from what they'd usually be on account of the mutually beneficial promotional aspect of having their ip in the game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Chuck Lorresmash, a game in which Bob proves he can heart Abishola and totally hard-counter her in equal measure.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The trailer for Invasion looks enticing but apparently its more boring than Pride and Prejudice?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Righteous Gemstones has been renewed for season 3 and Succession for season 4.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

muscles like this! posted:

The Righteous Gemstones has been renewed for season 3 and Succession for season 4.

Sweet! Giving this a listen in celebration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-znj7Uf9Oo&t=28s

Also, it reminds me that Jennifer Nettles was a force in her short time on the show. Really fantastic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

And Dune has been renewed for a second season (movie)

Hughmoris posted:

Sweet! Giving this a listen in celebration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-znj7Uf9Oo&t=28s

Also, it reminds me that Jennifer Nettles was a force in her short time on the show. Really fantastic.

I was so impressed by her I was like, how have I never heard of this actress. Well, she's not an actress is why.

Also they absolutely nail the southern flavor of evangelicalism in that episode. Generally it's high parody, but it was dead-on in that ep. There's no way that the people who wrote that song didn't spend tons of time in southern baptist churches as kids, it's absolutely perfect.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 26, 2021

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah they have one episode to sell the huge hole in the family her absence leaves and she nailed it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCIHP5dc44

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress yeah that looks so good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the style a lot. I wish the Netflix Marvel shows did something interesting like that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Looks as dope as the other teasers made me think it would so between this and Wheel of Time, November 19th is gonna be a fun day of nerding out. I kinda wish I had some PTO left for the year to use then, haha

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I decided to rewatch Cowboy Bebop in anticipation of the new series. I first started watching it on Hulu and after a while saw it was on Netflix. Why is the version on Netflix so much higher quality than the Hulu version. For some reason the Hulu version looks like they got the source video from a lovely torrent site in 2003 while the Netflix version looks good. At first I thought it might be a device issue, but even on the same TV there is a huge difference.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I too just finished a rewatch on Hulu and didn’t notice any issue, in fact I thought it looked much better than my old DVDs. Maybe it was the device (I watched with my Xbone) or maybe it was a different video source between the dub and sub (my rewatch was with the dub)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ballz posted:

I too just finished a rewatch on Hulu and didn’t notice any issue, in fact I thought it looked much better than my old DVDs. Maybe it was the device (I watched with my Xbone) or maybe it was a different video source between the dub and sub (my rewatch was with the dub)

Huh, I too did the dub, but humor me if you have a minute and compare a scene on Hulu to Netflix if you can. I swear there is a not minor difference. The only thing I can think of may be the types of scenes, a lot of the ships in outer space and in the gate stuff looks terrible on the Hulu in a way that particularly stands out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

swickles posted:

I decided to rewatch Cowboy Bebop in anticipation of the new series. I first started watching it on Hulu and after a while saw it was on Netflix. Why is the version on Netflix so much higher quality than the Hulu version. For some reason the Hulu version looks like they got the source video from a lovely torrent site in 2003 while the Netflix version looks good. At first I thought it might be a device issue, but even on the same TV there is a huge difference.

Hulu stream quality sucks dicks sometimes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

this looks sick as hell

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

swickles posted:

Hulu’s backend for streaming suuuuuucks. I have a friend who used to work there (ended up leaving for much greener, less messy as hell pastures when there was large exodus last year) and said out of all the streaming services and the talent running the whole drat system they were the worst in most regards. Netflix and Apple definitely got the best tech tho.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

For me Prime always looks the best and HBOMAX the worst.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

swickles posted:

It's especially bad if you're watching on a computer, as they've capped PC streaming at 480p. For everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't really have an issue with any of the services. It's been a long time since I've noticed a disparity between them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Netflix constantly trying to Auto play everything drives me up the wall

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That new trailer is a lot less annoying than the teaser, I might give it a watch. You can tell who the showrunner is, because I get a Middleman vibe from from certain parts of the trailer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gaius Marius posted:

Netflix constantly trying to Auto play everything drives me up the wall

You can turn all that off by going into your account in the web.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

You can turn all that off by going into your account in the web.

Do you have more info about this? All I can see is being able to turn off auto-playing the next episode. I'd love if I could make it not autoplay trailers on the main page.

Nevermind I didn't read close enough, I found it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have more info about this? All I can see is being able to turn off auto-playing the next episode. I'd love if I could make it not autoplay trailers on the main page.

Go into your Account Settings and there's a section for like parental controls and stuff, and there's a Playback switch in there.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
How friggin good is Succession? Nothing has even happened so far this season and every scene is both riveting and hilarious.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oasx posted:

That new trailer is a lot less annoying than the teaser, I might give it a watch. You can tell who the showrunner is, because I get a Middleman vibe from from certain parts of the trailer.

Are they driving a Hruck Bugbear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Looten Plunder posted:

How friggin good is Succession? Nothing has even happened so far this season and every scene is both riveting and hilarious.

It's very good but I wish something would happen. There are no bad scenes and the writing is tight tight right tho.

There are aspects of Foundation that are actually kind of amazing. I'm starting to suspect that's its going to end up being a much better bingewatch than weekly. Unfortunately one of the major plotlines has been dreary nonsense, but everything else has a lot of potential. The clone emperor bits in particular are very engaging and beautiful - costumes, sets and ships never ceasing to stun. The show has it's own unique aesthetic nailed down well, it just needs to have more of its plot cylinders fitting. I really like the theme tune.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed What If...?, especially the last two episodes. The multiverse mix and match is perfect for stuff like this, and it interfaced with the existing MCU canon in interesting ways. I'll come back for more even if I'm not into a lot of other phase 4 stuff.