Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Raccoonboy posted:

They should do another game like B/W1 where’s it’s just 150 something new Pokémon before postgame and that’s it

Listen to this intelligent person. B/W1 best games.

I'll be the dumb idiot moron playing (and likely enjoying) the bad Diamond remake so all of you don't have to. Y'all can yell at me all you want, but unless the game somehow kept the original D/P speed (or lack thereof), I was always going to play it. I'm just very easy to please when it comes to stuff I like and as a (blissfully) childless millennial, I have the disposable income to burn. I probably won't be gushing over it, but I'm 99% sure I'll finish playing it and think "yeah, that was alright." That's how I felt about Sword too.

Sinnoh was always one of my favorite regions and I'm looking forward to running around with Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape on the overworld and listening to Cynthia's sick rear end intro music in a few weeks, with some of the modern QoL stuff thrown in. The fact they ditched the Let's Go catching mechanic is also a plus.

Basically, the real world sucks, and between the Age of Calamity DLC now in October and the Legends Arceus game in January (already beat Metroid Dread), I have nothing else to play over the holidays. I could do much worse than playing a nostalgic trip through memory lane over the winter, warts and all.

Yeah, "vote with your wallet," and all, and of course I wish the games were better, but...meh? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I envy your apparent lack of backlog Nanigans cause I have more games than I can possibly play! Been selling and dumping a lot of them and still have too much and not enough time, like the rest of the world.

Haven't even finished Sword because it was getting pretty dull among other things.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It’s weird, I’m not super happy with what’s been shown of BDSP so far and the apparent lack of Platinum changes is a real bummer, but I’m still looking forward to playing Brilliant Diamond because I played the originals with my abusive ex back in 2007 and I’m looking forward to creating much fonder memories of Sinnoh with my wife. That alone will make it worthwhile. :unsmith:

… Unless the games totally suck I guess, like below baseline “well, it’s Pokémon.” That seems unlikely.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hammerite posted:

To call people crazy is a bit over the top, but I get their point about people confidently declaring the unreleased games are going to be this or that

Weird how this never seems deployed when people are gushing about how hyped they are for a new game, I'm sure it's just a coincidence though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Turbinosamente posted:

I envy your apparent lack of backlog Nanigans cause I have more games than I can possibly play! Been selling and dumping a lot of them and still have too much and not enough time, like the rest of the world.

Haven't even finished Sword because it was getting pretty dull among other things.

Despite being easy to please in general, I only play a handful of games a year. This year I've probably played more than I usually do (for obvious reasons).

I'm on a real Metroid kick now, though, after replaying all the 2D games and then Dread. But since I've played Hollow Knight like four times already, and I'm not the biggest Castlevania fan, I've been eyeing Ori and the Blind Forest and the sequel. But those both seem pretty long, so I might save them.

I just finished Luigi's Mansion 3, and that's a game I couldn't even pretend to like. It was very charming, but the controls were so, so bad.

Not having anything but a Switch probably helps with not having a huge backlog. :shobon:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It’s a shame, but not surprising really.

Also, this is a lot more like ORAS than people realize, I think. ORAS had Ruby and Sapphire gym leader teams and no battle frontier, just a sign saying “coming soon.” They were very much remakes of Ruby and Sapphire and not of Emerald.

I’ll still probably play BDSP, because I’m interested in the new Pokémon contests and the new underground stuff.

Honestly, what I really would have preferred over a remake is a sequel. Let’s got back to Sinnoh a few years after the events of D/P. Then we can still experience the region again, but in a completely new way. B2W2 was so refreshing for that reason. I really wish they could have kept up with doing sequels like that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's mainly a bummer because of the differences Platinum made. DP has lots of little problems that add up to really annoy me and Platinum fixed most of them, sucks they're gonna revert on that, especially with how it looks, man DP areas look so boring compared to the Platinum redesigns.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nanigans posted:

Not having anything but a Switch probably helps with not having a huge backlog. :shobon:

Definitely. I got into collecting retro games back when it was cheap and easy to do so a decade ago and nabbed almost every game and system that I'd missed out on and looked interesting which added up to a lot. At least now I can take advantage of the high prices to sell them. Still have like 15ish games for switch alone, that's a ton of game time there. We'll not talk about all the untouched digital games I have either.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Gotta admit, the more I've seen of BDSP the less I've liked it. Even the bobble head aesthetic I'm not really feeling much anymore cause whenever we get a closeup of the models they all look so...stale. It's a bit disappointing but the original games seem to go for pretty cheap on ebay anyways.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Watch out for anything suspiciously cheap. Reproduction/fake carts for anything DS and earlier are incredibly common. Not sure if the same is true for 3DS.

There are guides online for what to look out for when buying (label, model numbers, etc.)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i will post death threats. i am going to kill the pokemon carnivine

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Scholtz posted:

Watch out for anything suspiciously cheap. Reproduction/fake carts for anything DS and earlier are incredibly common. Not sure if the same is true for 3DS.

There are guides online for what to look out for when buying (label, model numbers, etc.)

Glad I learned about this before making an impulse buy, thank you!

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

yeah i've been holding off on any gen 4 replays in anticipation of BDSP but after seeing the team galactic daycare hideout confirmed i'm just gonna play renegade platinum and keep my 60 bucks

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Countblanc posted:

Weird how this never seems deployed when people are gushing about how hyped they are for a new game, I'm sure it's just a coincidence though.

"deployed", like it's a stratagem in a war? Your post reads like you think I'm engaged in some kind of subterfuge with the aim of... getting people to be nice to the video game??? That's much weirder than having an opinion on whether the game will be good or bad.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m going to play BDSP because I’ve never played Gen 4 (I basically played no Pokémon from Gen 1 to ORAS) and playing new Pokémon together is a fun thing to do with my girlfriend. I have no nostalgic attachment, so I’ll take it for what it is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m going to play BDSP because I’ve never played Gen 4 (I basically played no Pokémon from Gen 1 to ORAS) and playing new Pokémon together is a fun thing to do with my girlfriend. I have no nostalgic attachment, so I’ll take it for what it is.
It will probably be good and fun in it's own right, but like with Sword and Shield, it's one of those things where it already seems like it could be better.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i will post death threats. i am going to kill the pokemon carnivine

What did Carnivine do to you?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

digimon rear end

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mds1-c2MGkI

This is a very cool Pokemon thing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm sorry I have good taste in videogames

Then why are you complaining about Pokemon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hammerite posted:

"deployed", like it's a stratagem in a war? Your post reads like you think I'm engaged in some kind of subterfuge with the aim of... getting people to be nice to the video game??? That's much weirder than having an opinion on whether the game will be good or bad.

Lol jesus christ they clearly just meant deployed as in "said about, or posted"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That being said, im willing to say anyone hyped about either new pokemon is crazy, sword and shield should have destroyed all confidence in gamefreak

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Does anyone know what you actually do in Arceus yet or is that something to find out by buying the game?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm cautiously optimistic for Legends, but I ain't preordering it. Gonna wait until it's out and reviews roll in; it's pokemon so they'll print a billion copies and it will be available whenever. And if it ain't there's always digital. I have a shitton of games in the aforementioned backlog anyways one of which is an og copy of diamond I bought years ago so I'm not hurting for games at all.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cavauro posted:

Does anyone know what you actually do in Arceus yet or is that something to find out by buying the game?

I think on the surface you're going around building the first pokedex but as you play the game I think rivalries between tribes and possibly some apocalyptic poo poo concerning Arceus comes into play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna get the Diamond remake, it'll be playable but I doubt it'll be as good as platinum was.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Countblanc posted:

Reading people going "I'm very excited about this game" is just less loving exhausting than constant negativity, as long as they're not super defensive if someone else isn't. Like this thread gives the impression of hanging on every piece of news to explain why its all actually poo poo which is loving weird!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When an upcoming video game isn't very exciting, especially because it differs from an imagined alternative, I think a lot of people get really hyperbolic about expressing their disinterest, in a way that is kind of off-putting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"man, this could have been so much better if they made it more like the remakes they've previously made" is not very hyperbolic.

Like no-one is being like "Game freak is making GBS threads all over my childhood by not making the Galaxy Hideout like the one from platinum"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Oxyclean posted:

"man, this could have been so much better if they made it more like the remakes they've previously made" is not very hyperbolic.

Like no-one is being like "Game freak is making GBS threads all over my childhood by not making the Galaxy Hideout like the one from platinum"

They're not using those exact words but it otherwise totally is that. You also have people carrying on about how all of the other previous remakes were also poo poo and the new games are poo poo and on and on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

nintendo should make good and deep installments of their most beloved franchises, like omega ruby and alpha sapphire, instead of bad and shallow ones, like sword shield

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shiroc posted:

They're not using those exact words but it otherwise totally is that. You also have people carrying on about how all of the other previous remakes were also poo poo and the new games are poo poo and on and on.

You’ll find a lot of people in this thread saying D/P sucked and that they’re mystified the remakes aren’t 100% aping Platinum.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Listen to this intelligent person. B/W1 best games.

Also this guy nailed it on the head, B/W is the peak of the series and all the other games after it and B/W2 have just fallen way short of the mark (with SM > XY > ORAS > SWSH, ORAS and SWSH basically putting me off buying new games)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought B/W was really cool because it was probably the most effective time they tried to pull people away from old favorites with the hard and fast "no old pokes till post game." But it was helped immensely, imo, because they had a lot of good variety in typing and designs before, what, the 4th gym? But I also thought B2/W2 was just as good for walking that back, because it felt like you had a ton of early game diversity, and like in-game tools to figure out if you had found everything on a route or not.

B2/W2 also felt like the most justified 3rd version to date - basically adding whole new areas, namely the early game, and changing up your route through the game. Its the kind of thing I want from remakes that HG/SS also touched on.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

TheKingofSprings posted:

B/W is the peak of the series and all the other games after it and B/W2 have just fallen way short of the mark

A game with Pokestar Studios and the PWT has not "fallen short of the mark" it's surpassed it in a way no game has before or since.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
B/W1 were some of the worst games in the series because they had the least variety with almost a third of the Pokedex being locked behind the 7th gym into the postgame.

Like its absolutely insanely bad for any sort of replay because you really don't have a lot of choices! Red/Blue have literally double the Pokemon availability before the first gym and open you up to nearly the entire dex minus Mew, Moltres and Mewtwo around the fourth or fifth gym when you get surf and strength.

Conversely B/W has like 17 legendaries, event mons, mons that don't evolve until Postgame and new poo poo on every route up to and including Victory Road. While only having 156 monsters. You get a real fraction of the choice and its pretty unforgiveable.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also this guy nailed it on the head, B/W is the peak of the series and all the other games after it and B/W2 have just fallen way short of the mark (with SM > XY > ORAS > SWSH, ORAS and SWSH basically putting me off buying new games)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also they made a bunch of great Pokemon you will literally never be able to use in game because gently caress you I evolve at level 64.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Counterpoint: It has Drilbur, Tirtouga, Archen, Sewaddle, Munna, the monkeys, Lillipup, Blitzle, Rogenrola, Timburr, Venipede, Tympole, the fighting muppets, Swoobat, Cottonee/Petilil and more before like…the second or third gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Counterpoint: It has Drilbur, Tirtouga, Archen, Sewaddle, Munna, the monkeys, Lillipup, Blitzle, Rogenrola, Timburr, Venipede, Tympole, the fighting muppets, Swoobat, Cottonee/Petilil and more before like…the second or third gym.

like 15 Pokemon (since a bunch of those are version or otherwise exclusive) isn't a huge list when you compare it to literally any other game in the series. The fossils are also locked until after the third gym since you get them from the Desert Resort.

Like, by comparison, in every other Pokemon game there are 30 or more Pokemon available by the third gym including in R/B/Y.

It really sucks because Gen V has some of my favorite Pokemon but they're locked so goddamn late or don't evolve until level 50 that you can't really use them in the game until the very end. Like you can't catch Joltik until after the fifth gym which is an absolute travesty.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 27, 2021