Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

I’m using rocky in dev now. it’s exactly what i want: centos 8 but supported. “free” rhel8 is clearly a trap and lol if you voluntarily give ibm money when you have any alternative

lol if you don't have your employer give ibm money if it simplifies your job by even an iota though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

e-dt posted:

I installed pipewire on the recommendation of this thread and it is really great both architecturally and in allowing me to loving BLAST lovely music at my friends over discord while also talking to them. It really does work seamlessly as a drop-in replacement for pulseaudio.

Agreed, I use Pipewire as a drop-in Jack replacement and it pretty much immediately fixed all of my annoying audio issues when setting up a recording environment. Also I can now pretty easily take my guitar lessons (online since covid) without an amp, which is something I had a lot of trouble achieving on windows.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The only thing the switch to pipewire made worse for me is that changing the default audio device doesn't switch over all applications to use it. This is annoying for me because I switch from headphones to speakers and back multiple times a day.

You can tell they took a long look at pulseaudio to know what mistakes not to repeat. It's nice how pipewire is bringing some order to the audio stack.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol if you don't have your employer give ibm money if it simplifies your job by even an iota though.

it doesn’t tho, that’s the point. rhel would get me … the same software, but i have to do more work to use it legally? no thanks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’d be cool if someone looked at a 13-year-old software package called wayland, identified all the mistakes, and made something immediately usable

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

it’d be cool if someone looked at a 13-year-old software package called wayland, identified all the mistakes, and made something immediately usable

its already usable tho? off the top of my head the things that dont work atm are:
- nvidia drivers but this is a business decision by nvidia, not a technical problem
- stuff like synergy that wants to take over your keyboard/mouse

either of these is probably a valid reason to still be on x11 if you need em

but meanwhile wayland fixes:
- x11's catastrophic screen tearing
- x11's high cpu usage and awful latency due to decades old structural issues
- x11's bad hidpi support, eg only wayland allows you to assign it per-display

one big pain atm is screen sharing, which is implemented now via xdg-desktop-portal but you pretty much gotta do it via a browser since the native apps haven't bothered to start supporting it last i checked, while the browsers have. its a bit messy because gnome got sick of waiting (understandably imo) and decided to DIY their own API so if you're on gnome-wayland then screen sharing may work via that DIYed API. zoom for example supports the gnome API but their linux support effort has always been a bit poo poo and their current implementation already works mostly fine on gnome so i assume they'll bother supporting the newer xdg-desktop-portal API only if gnome dropped their current DIY API

afaik everything broken on wayland can be traced to a business decision where someone doesn't want to invest in new thing when:
- current thing works fine for them and they don't have resources to put effort into changing
- they are a leader on current thing and risk losing ground if people move to new thing

doing wayland over again wouldn't fix those

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Lack of explicit GPU sync is a major flaw in Wayland and it's fixable but the road to fix it is long and painful. Android does not have this problem.

https://lwn.net/Articles/814587/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Not having a global push to talk button is a bit of a deal breaker for me tbh.

Also, multi-monitor on Plasma Wayland is a dumpster fire. I hope the N-Gabe efforts improve that because I'd like to move to it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also at least on Fedora Silverblue my experiences with Pipewire have been mixed to put it lightly. The last few point releases seem to have mostly shaken all the bugs out though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

its already usable tho? off the top of my head the things that dont work atm are:
- nvidia drivers but this is a business decision by nvidia, not a technical problem

nvidia is getting close. the current stable driver supports xwayland and the beta that just came out a few days ago has actual gbm support. the latter requires some fixes in compositors that previously assumed that nvidia always implies eglstreams, but gnome at least has already fixed it upstream. sdl has been getting some real wayland work as well, but there are a couple of issues that need to be addressed:
  • wayland compositors tend to suspend applications that are in the background, so flip requests can hang indefinitly. vulkan's wsi image acquisition functions have a timeout value, but almost nothing uses it because most applications just assume that it would never block, while egl has no mechanism for this at all
  • there is also an issue with games that don't pump the event queue frequently enough (while loading for example), which causes the buffer to overflow and the socket to subsequently disconnect (this is mainly an issue when high-resolution mice are involved which can generate 1000 events per second).
there was also an issue with invisible windows in applications that used the alpha channel on backbuffers for purposes other than transparency, which necessitated an new egl extension to ignore the alpha channel, but the extension was created and implemented in drivers surprisingly quickly

other than that, the big missing feature for wayland is color management, which is currently being worked on

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh nvidia supports GBM now? Took them long enough. I'm happy with the amd 6700 I managed to pick up though, and there's no screwing around with package repositories for the proprietary driver or weird garbage kernel shims either.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

NihilCredo posted:

linux desktop sees bt fitness band
android sees bt fitness band
android sees bt headphones
linux desktop DOES NOT see bt headphones

totally normal things going on in broadcom + fedora 34 land

update: i finally have bt headphones working

all it took was parsing dmesg output to find my VID and PID, using those to figure out the correct firmware file to steal from a windows driver zip, git cloning and building a cli tool to convert it to a different hex file format, then because it's fedora silverblue manually package the resulting file in .rpm format (which is actually fair, since not dumping random firmware files in system folders is the entire point of the distro).

pretty sure my grandma could have done it with some guidance

not counting ofc the week or so spent looking through forum threads to figure out which repos are relevant, which are outdated, which workarounds had anything to do with my chip, etc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

all it took was parsing dmesg output to find my VID and PID, using those to figure out the correct firmware file to steal from a windows driver zip, git cloning and building a cli tool to convert it to a different hex file format, then because it's fedora silverblue manually package the resulting file in .rpm format (which is actually fair, since not dumping random firmware files in system folders is the entire point of the distro).

not counting ofc the week or so spent looking through forum threads to figure out which repos are relevant, which are outdated, which workarounds had anything to do with my chip, etc.

totally the fault of the os vs some janky-rear end hardware that doesn't work with anything without weird proprietary drivers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how are they even bluetooth headphones if they need a firmware upload to function, your random bluetooth audio source isn't going to have that firmware on hand to make them work

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also what on earth can you do with a "fitness band" on linux anyway, those things exist to be yet another gangplank for installing invasive crapware on your phone.

is there actually a generic bluetooth device class for those things now? hm, i might get one if that's the case.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

isn't there one for sex toys?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Try a less janky-rear end bluetooth dongle next time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

totally the fault of the os vs some janky-rear end hardware that doesn't work with anything without weird proprietary drivers

yeah, remember to start the phonecall with grandma by explaining this at length

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

look grandma only figured out what a headphone jack was last week so i'm pretty sure she doesn't care about bluetooth

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

spankmeister posted:

Try a less janky-rear end bluetooth dongle next time

built-in in the ASRock mobo

The_Franz posted:

if you're a floss project and can't or don't want to license binary blobs, that's great

if the os knows that it needs some proprietary files to make it work - and the fact was well documented in redhat forums - it should tell the user "hey your Bluetooth won't work without a firmware blob, please download it from the manufacturer"

what fedora did was pretend everything was fine in the UI, ignoring the explicit "didn't find the required $filename.hcd for this device" error-level message in the dmesg output

pseudorandom name posted:

how are they even bluetooth headphones if they need a firmware upload to function, your random bluetooth audio source isn't going to have that firmware on hand to make them work

the firmware patch was for the bt chip on the mobo, not the headphones. they work great with other devices

Sapozhnik posted:

also what on earth can you do with a "fitness band" on linux anyway, those things exist to be yet another gangplank for installing invasive crapware on your phone.

nothing. it just happened to appear among the detected devices, which made it extra weird that the headphones and soundbar didn't work. usually it's LE devices that have poor support

unrelated, i'm a degoogling nerd so I use gadgetbridge with the fitness band. don't want to tell larry and sergey how pathetic my reps are

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

the firmware patch was for the bt chip on the mobo, not the headphones. they work great with other devices

well that's lame, the whole point of the Bluetooth spec including a standard device protocol and how to transport it over USB/Secure Digital/etc. is that somebody competent can write the driver for you

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

somebody competent can write the driver for you
lmao

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

well that's lame, the whole point of the Bluetooth spec including a standard device protocol and how to transport it over USB/Secure Digital/etc. is that somebody competent can write the driver for you

it's probably something where the device comes up not looking much like a bt host controller at all, and only starts behaving like one (and thus working with the standard driver) once you load its firmware blob

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you laugh but this is why the UHCI, AHCI, HD Audio, NVMe, etc. specs all exist

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
whats teh closest thing to fluxbox for wayland

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
gently caress it i installed gnome. whats the worst that could happen

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mycophobia posted:

you wake up one morning to find out you have metamorphosed into miguel de icaza.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

somebody competent can write the driver for you

thread title

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

gnome 40 is pretty good but would be a lot beter if it wasnt so touchscreen centric.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SporkOfTruth posted:

thread title

haha

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SporkOfTruth posted:

thread title

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mycophobia posted:

pretty sure that's how you catch windows, op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Progressive JPEG posted:

- nvidia drivers but this is a business decision by nvidia Linus, not a technical problem

it’s Linus who refuses to support a stable driver ABI, not NVidia

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

it’s Linus who refuses to support a stable driver ABI, not NVidia

hurrr durrr

the driver abi has nothing to do with wayland support. it's 100% nvidia being a snowflake and dragging their feet on the issue

the 495 drivers with gbm support are now stable as of a couple of days ago though. it's not of much use unless you are using bleeding-edge builds (read: within the last week) of desktops and libraries with the fixes needed for it though. nvidia also dropped support for hardware below the 900 series desktop cards with this release, so good luck finding a new card if you need to upgrade

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
application brogramming interface

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

application brogramming interface

yep

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

post hole digger posted:

gnome 40 is pretty good but would be a lot beter if it wasnt so touchscreen centric.

how big is the userbase for people who use touch on linux

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

depends on if u mean the command “touch” or not xD

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

post hole digger posted:

the touchscreen-esque stuff like the lock screen that wanted you to swipe upwards has been gone for a while. gnome is keyboard centric now if anything, and once you commit a few shortcuts to muscle memory, it's quite nice

unless you are a little babbie who melts down if their desktop doesn't look like a windows from 25 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the gnome 3 dock was better than the gnome 40 fullscreen dashboard thing