Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's time we blow this scene

Get everybody and the stuff together

OK, three, two, one

Let's jam!

Cowboy Bebop is a 1998 anime series directed by Shinichiro Watanabe. But that's not why you're here. Twenty years after the original show, Netflix decided to make a live-action series based on the anime. People were rightfully skeptical, but now it's almost here and we've gotten a couple of peeks at it, and you know what? It looks pretty alright, honestly! Corny and a bit low-rent, certainly, but that's just part of the fun. The show centers on three "cowboys" (slang for bounty hunters) trying to make a buck by capturing fugitives in the year 2071.

John Cho is Spike Spiegel, a cowboy trying to outrun his past while looking weirdly old because his actor is 49;

Mustafa Shakir is Jet Black, an ex-cop and Spike's partner;

Daniella Pineda is Faye Valentine, a gambling addict who joins the crew of the Bebop;

I Don't Know if Ed is in it. It seems like the answer is probably no, though. If not, I think they're saving her for Season 2.

Also, there's a corgi.

Did you know that John Cho actually injured his knee while making this show? And then they had to shut down production for half a year? Rough, buddy. Anyway, the creators took the opportunity to bring on Shinichiro Watanabe himself as a consultant, which is neat. Besides Watanabe, they also got Yoko Kanno, the original series' composer, to return. That's good, because if one thing is clear from the marketing, it's that the people making these promos really loving love the original opening, "Tank!"

Opening Credits

"Lost Session" Trailer (I've long thought productions should do more fun stuff for trailers like this, filming a totally unique scene, but I get why they don't)

Official Trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gonna make a bold prediction and say that this is gonna be Netflix's sci-fi Witcher: a show that everyone pre-emptively hated that turns out to be actually Pretty Good because it knew exactly what it wanted to be and how to be it and stuck the landing in that zone perfectly and everyone just memory holes all the poo poo they spent like a year and half talking about it like they did The Witcher.

We'll see (you out there, space cowboy).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

Gonna make a bold prediction and say that this is gonna be Netflix's sci-fi Witcher: a show that everyone pre-emptively hated that turns out to be actually Pretty Good because it knew exactly what it wanted to be and how to be it and stuck the landing in that zone perfectly and everyone just memory holes all the poo poo they spent like a year and half talking about it like they did The Witcher.

We'll see (you out there, space cowboy).
John Cho is no Henry Cavill though

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I've gotten some real uncanny valley feelings from how slavishly they seem to stick to some of the details from the cartoon, but look silly in real life.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The red eyed coyote will appear at the zona norte at the edge of town

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arist posted:

John Cho is Spike Spiegel, a cowboy trying to outrun his past while looking weirdly old because his actor is 49;

Is there anything about Spike that nessecitates that he be roughly 27? I haven't seen the show in more than a decade, but I don't recall any reason he couldn't be in his 40s even without making some changes to the plot. The cast of Cowboy Bebop were given more reasonable ages than most anime, but even they appear to be a bit younger on paper than the plot or character design would lead you to believe. I can believe Spike is 27 looking at his character design, but considering his past, personality etc. I'd have thought another decade wouldn't go astray and Jet looks and acts like someone in his 40s anyway rather than 36 as he apparently is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm honestly of the opinion that Cho's age doesn't actually matter too much besides making his dynamic with Jet a little weird.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Gonna watch space show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they play up Spike being a spaced out loner that could work with him being older than his young hotshot persona from the original. Jet doesn't have to be the paternal figure or the big brother. He just needs to be the responsible one who acts his age.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Spike being 27 always struck me as an anime age and John Cho doesn't look anywhere near his actual age, however I can't help but see him as old regardless because he played a father with a college-age daughter in Searching a few years ago (which is great)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ro9ebQxEOY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The United States posted:

Spike being 27 always struck me as an anime age and John Cho doesn't look anywhere near his actual age, however I can't help but see him as old regardless because he played a father with a college-age daughter in Searching a few years ago (which is great)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ro9ebQxEOY

Which is weird, because I have him stuck in my brain as young Sulu from Star Trek, which, to be fair, is now 12 years out from his debut in the role, so it's instead weird to me that people think John Cho is somehow old.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The fact that I don't think of John Cho as being remotely "too old" for this role probably means that I am now "too old" myself.

I had no idea this show existed beyond being eternally in pre-production until I just clicked on this thread, and I was pretty seriously impressed by the trailers.

To me, the most important aspect of the show was the music by Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts, and as far as I can tell they are keeping the soundtrack intact. I sincerely feel that if they get the music right for this particular show, everything else should more or less follow naturally.

Visually it kinda reminds me of Sin City except adapting an anime/manga instead of a Frank Miller comic book. Which isn't really a bad thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm 28 and I can definitely buy Spike being world weary and having lived a lot before the show began. Most anime protagonists cap out at 18, so you throw another nine years of life on top of that and I can absolutely see him spending his early twenties as a syndicate hitman before falling off the grid.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

UP AND ADAM posted:

I've gotten some real uncanny valley feelings from how slavishly they seem to stick to some of the details from the cartoon, but look silly in real life.

I'm getting Dick Tracey, the movie vibes but the medium this is sourced on isn't dumb as gently caress so maybe they'll pull off the style choices they seem to be making. Can't possibly be worse than the live action "Bleach" movie.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I predict this will be good, even if Cho's costume looks a little too outrageous

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

some nice visuals in the trailer (the non scott pilgrim one) but absolute dogshit dialogue. pass lol

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Super pumped for this!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Gonna make a bold prediction and say that this is gonna be Netflix's sci-fi Witcher: a show that everyone pre-emptively hated that turns out to be actually Pretty Good

But Witcher was poo poo, except for that one fight at the end of first episode (that was filmed months later with completely different creative team)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Counterpoint: The Witcher was good and season 2 looks great

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

MikusR posted:

But Witcher was poo poo, except for that one fight at the end of first episode (that was filmed months later with completely different creative team)

pretty much. there was a fight in episode 4 with geralt and the castle beast woman that was also good. the rest was badly written junk. kind of entertaining at times, often cringey.

the bebop trailer is fine. the humour isn't looking too good but trailers are always bad with that.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Regardless of whether the show is good or not, at least it has this:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oooh, I like that jacket; the hexagon patterns on the back look real nice :cool:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tsob posted:

Oooh, I like that jacket; the hexagon patterns on the back look real nice :cool:

I wish they had done a wardrobe upgrade also for Spike and Jet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jet looks fine. It's a jumpsuit. Spikes suit just needs to turn a deeper shade of blue since the images might be real.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, they had pretty sensible, functional designs as is while Faye...didn't. She needed a wardrobe upgrade in a way the other two really didn't. If they had messed with Spike's suit for instance they might have destroyed what made him iconic, and been seen as messing with it for the sake of it rather than adding anything or making changes that were necessary for the medium.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I gotta say, Mustafa Shakir is kind of nailing the cadence of Beau Billingslea's line reads in the footage we've seen. They obviously don't sound identical, but he's doing a really good impression in his own voice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just rewatched the anime for the first time since the show came out and now I’m sad. :smith:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Prediction: Ed will be either revealed in the final episode, or there will be a cliffhanger about Ed's intro story.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
New Trailer, looks better than the others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ueRbFQkEk

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Greatly approve of the use of the less iconic but IMO superior Rush instead of Tank! for this outing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Greatly approve of the use of the less iconic but IMO superior Rush instead of Tank! for this outing.

It's been donkey's years since I've seen the show, but pretty much every shot is basically just a live action version of something from the show (or movie) isn't it? So presumably, this live action version is not just adapting the show for a new medium but basing every episode heavily around at least one episode of the show too? A quick Google tells me that the live action show is only 10 episodes long, though not the episode lengths, so presumably they'll either be skipping some episodes they felt were weaker (or centered on the not-present Ein) or doing a second season to adapt the remaining episodes?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

AHHHHHH HE SAID THE THING! FROM THE MOVIE! AHHHHH!

I never thought I would get on board with this when I heard about it, but I'm really getting hype.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tsob posted:

It's been donkey's years since I've seen the show, but pretty much every shot is basically just a live action version of something from the show (or movie) isn't it? So presumably, this live action version is not just adapting the show for a new medium but basing every episode heavily around at least one episode of the show too? A quick Google tells me that the live action show is only 10 episodes long, though not the episode lengths, so presumably they'll either be skipping some episodes they felt were weaker (or centered on the not-present Ein) or doing a second season to adapt the remaining episodes?

Netflix seasons are generally 10 episodes long. This is the first season and will probably be picked up for a season 2 if ratings are good, which they will be, because we all love nostalgia.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Dunno why this trailer hits way better than the previous ones

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It has much better editing than the other trailers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Dunno why this trailer hits way better than the previous ones
It doesn't look like a slow motion cosplay shot for Empire magazine.

Why o why this couldn't have been the first thing they showed of the show!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

I gotta say, Mustafa Shakir is kind of nailing the cadence of Beau Billingslea's line reads in the footage we've seen. They obviously don't sound identical, but he's doing a really good impression in his own voice.

I had the same reaciton - hearing the anime English dub lines in my head while I'm watching these trailers and they really line up.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

really the only thing i'm not a huge fan of is spike's suit, i enjoy the colorful campiness though, playing this 100% serious would have been a poor move with the budget they have on top of the source material being pretty goofy in the first place, hopefully it spins well into an enjoyable show even though I generally have a beef with live-action remakes and remakes in general, especially since cowboy bebop is itself rather risky material since normal people didn't watch it or know what it is and anime fans will be eternally judgmental of it

i'd rather we got a spiritual successor/new story with similar elements and people in play (such as yoko kanno composing and watanabe consulting) with the aesthetics and feeling but tell something new

i am all in on Ein though

with how faithful this appears to the "feeling" of bebop, i do wonder if we see ed at the very end or if they become revealed in a s2 if it gets renewed for that

most of the episodes anyways weren't really necessary to be sequential anyways so the later episodes showing up here that don't focus on ed is probably fine, i do wonder if we get any original stories in the series though or just retreads of everything

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Ein's in, I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The characters aren't 90% legs. No deal. :colbert: