Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

2house2fly posted:

One bit I really like is when Duncan is escaping and in the background the big Harkonnen ship lets off thousands of bombs blowing up everything underneath. It was a nice way of underscoring "our heroes aren't getting back up from this"

Easily one of my favourite shots in the film, just the scale of it feels incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Easily one of my favourite shots in the film, just the scale of it feels incredible.

Oh yeah, it's also a very clear 'no witnesses' moment.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It also echoes the opening where it seems like the Fremen have a chance and then the Harkonnens break out the cluster bombs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I think it also helps underpin how bad the Harkonnens are since carpetbombing civilians probably isn't gonna win you any friends in Feudal Future.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think it also helps underpin how bad the Harkonnens are since carpetbombing civilians probably isn't gonna win you any friends in Feudal Future.

There is one other reason that came to mind after that would fit why they were doing that after they had won the battle. Considering how Capitslist this version of the Baron was portrayed, "Carpet bomb the old refinery and bill the Emperor/Navigators Guild for a new one" would fit in with that mindset.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

The knife fights are kinda just going through the motions, and there are a lot of them. It's high on the list of problems of the film, maybe at the top

problems with the best film of the year? Because it's a fantastic film.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Where is my Dark Souls-esque video game tie in?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I like it well enough but yeah I don't think it was perfect. Best film of the year maybe, but that's not exactly a fierce competition

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Randalor posted:

There is one other reason that came to mind after that would fit why they were doing that after they had won the battle. Considering how Capitslist this version of the Baron was portrayed, "Carpet bomb the old refinery and bill the Emperor/Navigators Guild for a new one" would fit in with that mindset.

I think the Duncan escape sequence happened at the spaceport, which is near the city but not at the same spot. The Atreides barracks were right next to the ships parked at the spaceport.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The United States posted:

What happens if you shoot a cannon at someone who has a shield activated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0yKSNq-oLg

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm fairly sure it's just described as an atomic explosion, which I take to mean that it's an explosion that leaves behind ionizing radiation that's easy to detect, not that there's a megaton-TNT-equivalent explosion.
That also explains why everyone's so afraid of it, and it getting mistaken for use of the house atomics that every house has.

I always assumed this too. No way to determine if it was some moron grunt firing his laser at a shield or a house using a nuke.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
We see lasers in two scenes, wouldn’t that have been extremely foolish and risky on the off chance someone had a shield on and happened to get in the line of fire?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dr. Clockwork posted:

We see lasers in two scenes, wouldn’t that have been extremely foolish and risky on the off chance someone had a shield on and happened to get in the line of fire?

For the first one they only started firing the laser after the shield had visibly collapsed on the ornithopter, for the second I just assume that Saurdaukar are so hardcore that they are ok with getting obliterated as long as they kill their target in the process.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They should have deliberately triggered the reaction to take out the targets then. Bing bong so simple

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

LionArcher posted:

Even very good films can have minor flaws and it’s okay to discuss them.

Like this movie has some (minor) pacing issues because it’s based on a long, dense book. It is useful to note this when analyzing the film. This is a neutral statement and the movie is still good because it does a good job overcoming this problem.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

There's a scene in the book where some soldiers are using a laser to clear rubble and I think Duncan is all "ffs, there's shields down there, stop that". So it's dumb, but not outside expectations.

A minor detail from the books is that the explosion is to some extent random. It could be a grenade, it could be a nuke, or somewhere in between. It could just blow up the gun. Or the shield. Or both.

I can see why Villeneuve didn't bother to explain it, because it's a lot of techmobabble that isn't really important.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They should have deliberately triggered the reaction to take out the targets then. Bing bong so simple

Duncan does this deliberately in the book, but since this was never explained it would have seemed strange to the audience.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I said the Saurdaukar are hardcore enough to do it. No way are Harkkonnen troops hardcore enough to do it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The second scene takes place in the desert, where shields aren't used as they attract worms. Even though it's in a hideout I would presume they just never use shields outside the walls of Arakeen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Astrochicken posted:

Really not feelin' that the action scenes in Denis Villeneuve's Frank Herbert's Dune would have contributed a lot to the movie by being Raid-level worthy.

Gurney sliding towards the entry ramp to that ship and then turning to trip a guy and then shove a knife into their thigh and then drag it down to the kneecap before the part where he just scares the other Harkonnen folks away would have absolutely contributed to the movie.

Like this movie fuckin' ruled but come on it would be like a 6/5 instead of 4.5 out of five if they had that kind of poo poo going down every time the knives came out if they weren't going to bother to really show the slow blade stuff consistently. When Duncan locks himself out with the Sardaukar it should have been some Raid 2 poo poo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 28, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Also there's a huge gap between The Raid and the choreography in this movie so it's kinda weird that the response to "would have been nice if the choreography was a bit better and worked on to reflect the context of their existence in this world" is "well it's not The Raid"... Nobody was saying it needed to be that nuts, so what's with the intentional misinterpreting here?

Edit: well I guess one guy is now saying that, but that isn't how this started.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 28, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

stratdax posted:

Also there's a huge gap between The Raid and the choreography in this movie so it's kinda weird that the response to "would have been nice if the choreography was better" is "well it's not The Raid"... Like no? Nobody was saying it needed to be? So what's with the intentional misinterpreting here?

Edit: well I guess one guy is saying that

I mean I wouldn't realistically expect any random blockbuster to have fights on that level but like, the idea that the movie wouldn't be improved if it did is silly to me.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Fart Car '97 posted:

The second scene takes place in the desert, where shields aren't used as they attract worms. Even though it's in a hideout I would presume they just never use shields outside the walls of Arakeen.

When they're cutting the door with it? Duncan and his opponents down there were definitely using shields. I imagine it was ok because they were inside a big concrete structure

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
A rifled slug or even better a multi barreled gun that shoots a volley of them will absolutely uhhh… disrupt your balance. It’s weird that no one has developed any kind of ranged kinetic weapons to be used against shields.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Big boxing gloves on arrows

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
It would have been nice if the fight choreography was more than just "what if Carl Drogo but in space?" Plus the whole shield concept didn't make any sense once Baba Voss started flailing his swords around and slashing into people without being repelled by the shields. When I watched with a few people who hadn't read the books they had no idea that shields were supposed to protect from fast moving objects. It was confusing enough that one of them asked "what do shields even do?" since it seemed like Aquaman was able to slice through them all without any issues.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Movie of the year.

The dude sitting behind me must've been enjoying it too much though because it sounded like he was jacking off the whole time...

...The rhythmic shuffle sound added to the film's atmosphere I'll admit.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He was attracting the worm

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not a shy hulud

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the sand digging thing looked like a fleshlight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7023562646393851163

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not a shy hulud

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

When they're cutting the door with it? Duncan and his opponents down there were definitely using shields. I imagine it was ok because they were inside a big concrete structure

Oh yeah lol I forgot they had shields on in that fight welp

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Somewhere in the appendix of the original novel, they say how fast something can go without being deflected by a shield. I can't remember it exactly, but it's very slow--like, the speed of casually reaching for your phone or whatever. So a "slow blade" requires a lot of precision in combat. This usually involves getting very close and striking from an unseen angle. They don't use spears, halberds, axes, etc. because they're not compatible with that kind of fighting. They do have guns designed to penetrate shields, but they're literally air guns and spring-loaded guns that use poison pellets and darts.

They don't form shield walls or pike squares because nearly all infantry combat is highly mobile commando operations. Like in the movie, they still have airplanes and bombs and such. The books are kinda vague on the limits of a personal shield, but I presume you're screwed if the ground you're standing on is blasted to dust.

When a laser gun hits a shield, it creates a nuclear explosion of varying and unpredictable force. If large enough, this is indistinguishable from using a nuclear weapon, which is the most illegal thing in the universe.

Thotsky is right that the film does not clearly convey any of this. Not with expository dialogue, of course, and not with the choreography either. After the training scene, there's no rhyme or reason to what defeats a shield and what doesn't, why the dart hits Leto in the back, etc. (Based on the Zatoichi scenes in See, I think they could have done much better with Momoa.)

I do think the visual effect of the red light signifying the kill; the shield effects are a step up from the SyFy series and definitely better than the Lynch film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Oh yeah lol I forgot they had shields on in that fight welp

I mean they only use the laser once they think Duncan is dead and they're all just using it to open a hole in the door

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The shield effects in the Lynch film were really cool, but the thought of dozens of people fighting each other while covered in those crystal cubes makes my head hurt.

E: the red shield signifying the kill in this is neat, though I also think it probably doesn't make much sense. If the shield is glowing then it knows something is there, so why can't it block it?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

LionArcher posted:

It's solid, but easily the "worst" I've seen in theatres

Green knight and last duel are both better

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

2house2fly posted:

The shield effects in the Lynch film were really cool, but the thought of dozens of people fighting each other while covered in those crystal cubes makes my head hurt.

E: the red shield signifying the kill in this is neat, though I also think it probably doesn't make much sense. If the shield is glowing then it knows something is there, so why can't it block it?

That sounds like AI…off to whatever they call jail in the duneverse.

I assumed that the color is just a sensor telling the user something penetrated the field. Like a car warning light.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

2house2fly posted:

Well red shows that something is penetrating it, which could be your hand reaching to deactivate it. If it was completely impenetrable you'd have an issue with suffocating pretty quick.

Halloween Jack posted:

After the training scene, there's no rhyme or reason to what defeats a shield and what doesn't, why the dart hits Leto in the back, etc.

I think the thing with the dart and the artillery is that this is a seemingly novel idea where it slows down once it hits a shield but doesn't stop, just pushing with less and less force until it's able to pass the shield.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
If the shield was programmed to reject anything that did penetrate it, you'd have problems opening doors or picking things up without turning your shield off first. Maybe you wouldn't be able to touch your shield belt to turn it off.

The real problem with the Lynch shields is that they're never used or mentioned again, so they don't matter outside of that scene.

As for "slowing down but still pushing through," the problem is that a bullet would also do that.

It would have been a lot simpler if they'd just established that anything moving as slow as a sword-swing can penetrate the shield. The only reason to cleave closer to the books is if you actually want to choreograph some kind of infighting, and they didn't.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 28, 2021