Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly looking back it's so weird how little I remember of my childhood, and I don't know if that's common or not. It's such a defining period for many of us but I can't recall 99% of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
mainly the molesting, some video games

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

While all the trauma and tragedy were going on in the house, I was out back by the big rock playing with my army men. I’ll be damned if I wasn’t using WW2 army men in trenches, though. Stupid child.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Supreme Allah posted:

mainly the molesting, some video games

Molesting is bad even if you started doing it as a kid, I hope you stopped

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is very hard for me to pinpoint any pre pre-school memories to specific dates, so everything before that is just a huge scramble in my head. I do remember getting told about the winner of the 1992 presidential election, which would put me at 4. And also getting circumcised, because that happened at 3.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember the power going out during the blizzard of '93 and my whole family sleeping in one bed for the warmth. That's probably my earliest memory. I would have been about 4 years old. Other than that it's mostly all the most embarrassing poo poo that i remember

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Szyznyk posted:

While all the trauma and tragedy were going on in the house, I was out back by the big rock playing with my army men. I’ll be damned if I wasn’t using WW2 army men in trenches, though. Stupid child.

Instead of a big rock out back, I had a bush out front that I would retreat into to ignore all the trauma and tragedy.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I remember all the feelings and the day they stopped :(

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don't remember so much. Some events like a big storm or the Challenger blowing up sometimes. I can't always pin down when they happened exactly though.

I always found it weird because I grew up watching shows like the Wonder Years where the main character seemed to remember everything that happened on Wednesday January 14, 1968, and I can't remember poo poo about the average day of middle school at all.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
My earliest memory is from the hallway of the house my mom and I lived in when I was extremely young. Talking about barely a toddler about 16-17 months old. I distinctly remember being scared of the heating vent as my mom drew a bath in the bathroom directly down the very short intersection hallway.

Most of my toddler memories are of struggling to communicate while partially deaf and reading a lot of my first children's books.

Hearing anything more than a murmur for the first time after surgery was wild.

After the second surgery when I could hear when better I turned off the fridge in the middle of the night cause it was annoying me.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Pretty sure I gave myself some kind of mercury poisoning. Don't remember much from childhood. Been getting tremors and some horrible anxiety. Wanna cry sometimes. Getting insurance soon which will be great. Doubt it will help me remember much from childhood though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think people underestimate how far back they can actually remember because they tend to not have specific dates to tie things to.

Earliest memory I can pinpoint puts me at around 1.5 years. I vaguely remember leaving a funeral with my dad. I was heading towards a line of cars on a grassy hill in the cemetery and there was a huge tree to my left. It took until my mid-20's for us to figure out it was my sister's 3rd grade art teacher's funeral.

Anything I remember from Kentucky is from before the age of 4, since that's when my family moved. Probably a little over a dozen memories there. Stubbing my toe, riding the lawn mower with my dad, wearing a Snoopy sailor outfit, meeting another girl named Samantha while jumping on a trampoline, and most importantly- Logicking out that if I pooped in the shower, it would strain through the drain. Next memory was of my mom cleaning the shower.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i got a weedwacker engine go-ped in middle school it ruled

kids just charge their scoots now, no need to learn about oil/gasoline ratios!!!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
I also have this kickass memory of just running around the loop the two doors that led from the living room / dining room in my old house to the kitchen with a string while my two cats and my dog played and chased.

No idea how long i did that but in my memory it felt like forever and was such an amazing blast.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
A fair amount when I try but I don't try often because my childhood was unhappy.

Doing my best to make sure my kid's experience isn't like that. She's such a fun happy little tyke :unsmith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Talkc posted:

I also have this kickass memory of just running around the loop the two doors that led from the living room / dining room in my old house to the kitchen with a string while my two cats and my dog played and chased.

No idea how long i did that but in my memory it felt like forever and was such an amazing blast.

I love this so much. :3:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Speaking of said childhood dog, she was a nutter, she was the ultimate no take only throw dog. But shed put you through the wringer for it. First off, we kept water outside for her when she played cause tis texas and i live on the surface of the sun / in hell's oven. So she wouldnt just have her tennis ball to play with, shed take it with her when she drank and DUNK that thing in the water, then get it nice and wet. Then it would get nice and slimy from the ground etc.

Then what did she do? Come over to you and growl and whine and demand you throw this ball right now. And heaven earth and gamma rays in the stars she would fight you over taking it. All 25 pounds of her. Then when she finally let it go, youd have to throw a arc of slime and ball into the air and shed practically beat it to the landing and then it was time to repeat the process.

This was how we spent about 2 hours of our evenings for most of my young childhood. Unless it was somehow cold..

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
earliest thing i remember is my parents buying a matching couch and recliner and having it delivered that evening and one of the arm rest covers went missing or something but we found it. Apparently this was when I was 2.

for the most part i remember tons of stuff from when i was a kid. games we used to play (real life games, i didnt own any video games until i was like 9), stuff that happened on vacation, getting in trouble a lot at school, playing in the snow

i have a distinct memory when i was 3 and i was eating from a bag of marshmallows while flipping through my parents record collection and looking at the album art. i remember being particularly fixated on this one:

also remember around the same age having difficulty falling asleep at night, something which has persisted into adulthood. i remember being kept awake by the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears and thinking it was the stomping feet of alligators in the wall coming to eat me

also remember pooping in the bathtub one time

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've been depressed my whole life and my parents didn't know what to do so they just let me cry and brood on my own. We had a cat that would run into my room after me when I started crying and would meow at me and try to lick my face. This was probably the start of the thirty years of loving animals more than people, before I got therapy. Still love animals more than most people, though.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I started typing things I remember, but it turns out I pretty much remembered goddamned loving everything

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

I remember turning on Jurassic Park for Sega Genesis and running out of the room as fast as I could so I didn't have to hear the scary T-rex roar "Sega" at me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Until I was like 10 I was the most popular kid on the block and was in special smart kids school and my life seemed pretty normal but then we moved across the country. While we were moving we stayed at a hotel and I woke up early at like 5am and pretended I was still asleep while I laid there and listened to my parents talk about how much they hated us and hated having kids and how they felt they should put less effort into us. My mom decided that having children sucked now that we weren't tiny little kids and essentially stopped interacting with us except to feed us and make us do chores and discipline us. My dad started spending all of his time in his office playing video games. I got severely depressed which my parents saw as a good thing because I was spending all of my time locked in my room avoiding them and they didn't have to deal with me, so I grew up on the internet and here I am with all of my fond childhood memories being about early internet memes and chatrooms.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 28, 2021

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

deep dish peat moss posted:

While we were moving we stayed at a hotel and I woke up early at like 5am and pretended I was still asleep while I laid there and listened to my parents talk about how much they hated us and hated having kids and how they felt they should put less effort into us.

Have you told them you heard that? That's rough, I'm sorry.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Earliest memories are my bottle rolling down the stairs, playing on the floor as my mom ironed clothes, oh and a really funny one, taking a huge steaming poo poo in my diapers across from my sister at the kitchen table while I was still in a baby seat and prob no older than one and a half.

I legit to this day recall the sensation of really thick brown mud flooding my diapers, it felt like a cushion of warmth spreading out beneath my rear end, but I also remember the distinct discomfort of it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

One really hosed up one was going to the neighbor's across the street to play with the puppies their dog had given birth to recently. I went with the neighbor girl. Putting them in the fronts of our shirts, playing tug of war with them, feeling their paws and their tongues licking our hands.

Next day I saw in the middle of the street, so tiny surrounded by black asphalt, one of them laying there, small and white, run over.

That poo poo never left my brain.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i remember my high-chair because it was where i could apply all those day-glo orange halloween stickers that were somehow all over the place in the 80s

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I think I remember my parents watching TV when Nixon resigned, although I had no idea what it meant at the time. That's the first "external world event" I can remember. I also remember more clearly the times when I burned my hand on the stove, and the time I got stung to hell by fire ants when playing in a sandbox that was basically an ant colony, and the time I got my arm stuck between the slats of a wooden bench. All of these things were when I was 3 or 4.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my mother. let me tell you about my mother... *blows OP away*

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I didn't remember basically anything from before 14 pretty much. Snippets, barely.

Turns out I had repressed most of my childhood haha. What I thought was a "harsh but realistic, yet good" childhood was actually confirmed by my siblings and relatives to be filled with rampant abuse of every kind, neglect and other wonderful things.

Apparently I starting talking about suicide at age ten, shortly after I was raped repeatedly. I repressed it all hard and couldn't understand why I had an intense fear of sex with AFABs, and why certain things put me in the lovely, bare concrete basement mentally.

For the record, therapy good, life doing well, happy and while a little insane I'm regarded as well adjusted due to healthy coping and management techniques.

So basically I wish I could go back to not remembering anything at all haha.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i punched my way outta a egg and its been smooth sailing ever since

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I have an incredible recollection of past events in my head that sometimes I wonder if I have an eidetic memory since I can recall even specific items unrelated to said memory. I was considering making a “just why the gently caress do I remember that?” thread about absolutely mundane and stupid memories, but bleh.

Anyway, the earliest memory I have is me sitting on the floor of the (then) TV room of my parent’s house (the TV room became my oldest sister’s room shortly thereafter since she was sharing a bedroom with my other sister while I got my own room as the youngest) on the orange and yellow shag carpeting while my dad is laying down on the ugly brown plaid sofa we had in there as we both watch a new episode of Barney Miller. I was eating carrot chips from a bag. After that, we watched an episode of M*A*S*H. Since Barney Miller didn’t end until 1982, I was 2 years old.

I also remember watching poo poo like the M*A*S*H finale and the Motown 25 special where Michael Jackson first moonwalked with my entire family. TV was a big deal back then.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
My spouse works with vulnerable populations and they've got a lot of trauma to work through. One thing he always does is ask them about their childhood. Generally, the more trauma they experienced as children the less they remember from their childhood. So, if they remember their childhood that means they had a very bad time, but when they were older. If they remember some, it is going to be a more complicated case but he can guesstimate it. And if they don't remember their childhood at all: poo poo is about to get very, very dark.

Like any heuristic, you don't want to reify it but, you know, look at your memories and think about it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's been interesting to hear how little people remember. We lived in a few different towns, which helps a lot for memory- rather than having a vague mush of childhood memory, I can at least pin memories to within a year or three because they happened at Butler Street or whatever. My wife's constantly surprised at how much childhood stuff I can recall.
And, uh, not having a whole lot in the way of trauma probably really really helps too.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Memory is a fickle thing, though. I can’t recall poo poo from 7th or 8th grade because I was horribly bullied and ignored by the school when I called them out on it. “Boys will be boys” or “you’re overreacting” dismissive poo poo from the administration. Try as I might to even remember teacher’s names or who what few of my friends were, and I come up completely blank.

gently caress middle school.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
My childhood was pretty good until 2nd grade when two weeks in i was moved up into 3rd grade while they moved a kid down a grade who was fairly popular.

Teacher put me in his seat i found out. Kid next to me who would be one of my most staunch bullies literally turned to me and whispered "I hate you" right after class announcements the day i arrived in 3rd grade.

For the next few grades i was pretty reviled by my peers for having the role of poster child for the gifted program foisted on me. That and being pretty obviously queer even at that age.

It culminated in some students who bullied me for all that time deciding i guess that they just wanted to kill me cause they sure tried to. They held me down in the courtyard in front of other students and teachers one day in 6th grade and bashed the ever loving poo poo out of my head with a piece of rebar they got from somewhere out of the demolition of one of the old school buildings. They left a crack in my skull, cracked my eye socket, and left me with mild brain damage.

Things were pretty chill again after that cause i went to this pretty bogus Christian private school that was mostly just a funnel for the church to move money around. I learned absolutely zero at that school, but i got to hang out all day and chill, and ironically the super Christian kids were nice to me. I was in the closet etc, but at least they werent rabid to beat my brains in.

I spent a lot a lot a lot of time avoiding other people other than family for most of my childhood until teenage years for fear of being spit on , hit, etc.

poo poo was cool when i was little though. I was happy most of my years as a younger child.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
going through all the old vhs tapes and actively purging everything i still remembered for more space in my brain

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Talkc posted:

I used to tie a string to a shoebox and drag my mom's old cranky cat Dagney around in it, she said he would only tolerate that level of bullshit from me.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

You Are A Elf posted:

Memory is a fickle thing, though. I can’t recall poo poo from 7th or 8th grade because I was horribly bullied and ignored by the school when I called them out on it. “Boys will be boys” or “you’re overreacting” dismissive poo poo from the administration. Try as I might to even remember teacher’s names or who what few of my friends were, and I come up completely blank.

gently caress middle school.

middle school was the worst period of my social development

for some reason, grade school was a fun place you went and did whatever and everyone is a friend but sixth grade was just a complete 180 turn into the deep end of feeling left out

it’s hard to really put a finger on

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Talkc posted:

My childhood was pretty good until 2nd grade when two weeks in i was moved up into 3rd grade while they moved a kid down a grade who was fairly popular.

Teacher put me in his seat i found out. Kid next to me who would be one of my most staunch bullies literally turned to me and whispered "I hate you" right after class announcements the day i arrived in 3rd grade.

For the next few grades i was pretty reviled by my peers for having the role of poster child for the gifted program foisted on me. That and being pretty obviously queer even at that age.

It culminated in some students who bullied me for all that time deciding i guess that they just wanted to kill me cause they sure tried to. They held me down in the courtyard in front of other students and teachers one day in 6th grade and bashed the ever loving poo poo out of my head with a piece of rebar they got from somewhere out of the demolition of one of the old school buildings. They left a crack in my skull, cracked my eye socket, and left me with mild brain damage.

Things were pretty chill again after that cause i went to this pretty bogus Christian private school that was mostly just a funnel for the church to move money around. I learned absolutely zero at that school, but i got to hang out all day and chill, and ironically the super Christian kids were nice to me. I was in the closet etc, but at least they werent rabid to beat my brains in.

I spent a lot a lot a lot of time avoiding other people other than family for most of my childhood until teenage years for fear of being spit on , hit, etc.

poo poo was cool when i was little though. I was happy most of my years as a younger child.

jesus christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I remember going to the dance with my dad and coming home with my mom.