Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Capitalism and Computers interact a lot, even though they are pretty much entirely completely causally and practically uncoupled. capitalism is an economic system and computers are just a fancy way to do math quickly, they fundamental theory of neither relies on the underlying mechanism of the other. capitalism is pretty bad tho sometimes i think everyone can agree, and computers actually pretty clearly amplify the badness. this is different than just the bitcoin thread which is about a specific negative interaction between capitalism and computers; it is like a rectangle and a square, or general and special relativity, bitcoin is a subset of "capitalism and computers together are worse than the sum of their parts." also i want to say i think that computers would actually just be straight up good if there wasn't capitalism.

I think therefore that this thread spans multiple threads, and even subforums. also: never stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

Capitalism and Computers interact a lot, even though they are pretty much entirely completely causally and practically uncoupled. capitalism is an economic system and computers are just a fancy way to do math quickly, they fundamental theory of neither relies on the underlying mechanism of the other. capitalism is pretty bad tho sometimes i think everyone can agree, and computers actually pretty clearly amplify the badness. this is different than just the bitcoin thread which is about a specific negative interaction between capitalism and computers; it is like a rectangle and a square, or general and special relativity, bitcoin is a subset of "capitalism and computers together are worse than the sum of their parts." also i want to say i think that computers would actually just be straight up good if there wasn't capitalism.

I think therefore that this thread spans multiple threads, and even subforums. also: never stop posting

thanks op, now you really got me thinking…

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

thanks op, now you really got me thinking…

that's great to hear! i love it when we achieve the key goal of the internet: to foster knowledge and discussion

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i see now that putting things in [] brackets is like an Official Thing and i'm sorry that i did it.

alternately mod: i appreciate your attempt to make this thread more attractive by removing a possibly divisive joke part of the thread title

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
capitalism bad

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Zam Wesell posted:

capitalism bad

Wow! this is pretty controversial! well that's how it goes when you engage the collective consciousness: you get some subversive ideas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a woman called up and asked about her sleeping medicine. she said she read it has a side effect of making her itchy and indeed she experienced this side effect. I then said you have to weigh up that side effect against the benefit. she then said that the medicine helped her sleep amazingly and couldn’t do without it.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Zam Wesell posted:

capitalism bad

and yet you touch computers, curious

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
people who complain about capitalism are like the people who want to get government out of their medicaid

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
capitalism good

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY2j_GPIqRA

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Zam Wesell posted:

capitalism bad

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
great thread, voted 1

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

didnt read op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I voted 5 because we need more threads

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if you think about it capitalism lead to linux and linux is bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

capitalism is good if you are born into a wealthy family and like touching computers

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Zlodo posted:

and yet you touch computers, curious

i don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i think computers are a trap for capitalists because poo poo on computers is so easy to disrupt and when the total outlay for a worker is like a couple hundred bucks there's no way to control the means of production
unfortunately computers are a trap for everyone else, too