Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I pay for Plex so I can "easily" put media on an iPad in offline mode for long drives with the kiddos.

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah a lot of us are running mini netflixes for friends that are on hard times or just plain dont wanna support shitbag streaming providers

there's reportedly a dude somewhere around here who runs not only a yospos ftp but also a fuckin direct connect hub. throwback

My dad used to record documentaries like History TV, Discovery, in the mid-naughties and trade those with others on DC++. He made a few internet buds that way. I remember him learning how to direct stream copy in whatever that video tool was to clip out the commercials but leave the bumper trivia in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Do you really need that many babylons five

absolutely, see title

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

i guess 100GB must be one hell of a library

I thought i had a lot at like 2000+ films and a ton of random tv / animatino separate but thats only like 17 GB

it did just seem to go thru a refresh tho a few weeks ago and maybe it consolidated?

20+ years of hoarding, been buying a few CDs/DVDs/vinyl per week since the late 90s. Plex metadata seem to really explode with audio content.

Plex sync recently rebranded as Plex Download. Still requires Plex Pass but apparently is much improved (although not available for IOS currently).

For anyone interested in Plex, the lifetime sub drops by 25-50% every black Friday, rarely dropping the rest of the year.

Regarding babylons fives, I doubt anyone needs the proposed remaked.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

psiox posted:

absolutely, see title
Okay no one told me about the butts

You fuckers

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
whats a good vpn for privacy these days?

i used mullvad years ago, is that one still good?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
use algo on a VPS.
mullvad might be the least worst of the commercial options. no one can know for sure

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Okay no one told me about the butts

You fuckers

dang you, i meant my custom title that was lovingly purchased by a friend who is mystified at my love of babylon 5

i have also become a datahoarder (again) recently and it is great. back on my bullshit downloading all of 'are you afraid of the dark?' from usenet

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oh! I see.

resumes babylon 5 disinterest

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

barkbell posted:

whats a good vpn for privacy these days?

i used mullvad years ago, is that one still good?

i like proton but like Hed mentioned, we may never know. gotta place trust somewhere, i suppose.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

psiox posted:

dang you, i meant my custom title that was lovingly purchased by a friend who is mystified at my love of babylon 5

i have also become a datahoarder (again) recently and it is great. back on my bullshit downloading all of 'are you afraid of the dark?' from usenet

hoarder gang hell yeah just sucked down about 17 gigs of mp3s off soulseek in the past 24h

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

duplicati / backblaze was able to run a full backup in about 18 hours where crashplan was able to move from 72% to 75% backed up in the same timespan. it's definitely more finicky and not ready for widespread consumer use but anyone in yospos should be able to handle it easily. i recommend it

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

duplicati / backblaze. i recommend it
yes, i concur with this recommendation. the duplicati ui is a bit poo poo, but once it's running it just keeps on truckin' with pretty decent performance.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

working on adding some Motorola VME stuff to MAME.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

while shopping around for a way to run xtide for my 486 gaming rig - aka the first family computer from early 90s that i still have, i noticed that someone nearby is also selling SRAM chips for L2 cache that might work in it

here's the motherboard. note four DIP-32 slots to lower right (documented L2 cache) and two DIP-28 slots to center left (un/poorly documented, but likely to be L2 tag?):

- from documentation, the cache slots can each be either 32K*8 or 32K*9, with parity enabled/disabled by a jumper. but the above store only has 32K*8 in DIP-28. should that just work in a DIP-32 port? or do the cache chips really need to be DIP-32 specifically? my theory is that maybe 32K*8 just came in DIP-28 while 32K*9 just came in DIP-32, so they used DIP-32 ports for the 32K*9 option?
- meanwhile, the two left ports are not documented in this manual, but other similar models document them as the TAG BANK. i'm guessing that they're supposed to be 8K*8 in each DIP-28 port. if i just threw some DIP-28 32K*8 in those two ports would that work fine despite being oversized? or do the tag chips really need to be 8K specifically?

also emailed the store owner but figured it didn't hurt to check around in case someone already knew off the top of their head. at this point i'm leaning towards just buying eight 32K*8 (couple spare + bulk discount vs just buying six) and trying them in all six ports

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

depends on the pinout of the modules. there’s probably jumpers for setting the cache and tag sizes, too. my motherboard can take 16, 32, or 64K SRAMs.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for the cache itself it's either 32K*8 or 32K*9 (parity) modules with a jumper to pick which one it is. it turns out that 32K*9 is indeed 32 pin so that at least explains that. will probably need to compare pinouts for the correct placement of a DIP-28 32K*8 on the DIP-32 slots

meanwhile i haven't seen anything about tag one way or the other on this mobo. already heard back from the site owner and they mentioned one possibility is the tag memory could be internal to the chipset but idk. might just need to figure out the chipset and then look that up

does your mobo have it where the tag size is independently configured from the cache size? or is there a fixed ratio between the two sizes like 1:4 or 1:8?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

TAG size is determined by total cache, yeah. here's the settings for my 486 board so you can see what that looks like - in no configuration is there more than 32Kx8 TAG.

also make sure if you're buying SRAMs that you buy more than you need. there's as many poo poo counterfeit ones out there as real ones.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 30, 2021

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh that's great thanks

so the fact that it takes the same 32K tag size across 128K-512K cache configs makes me think that the tag size isn't necessarily a fixed ratio, so i might be able to get away with two 32K chips in those slots if it doesn't work without them populated

the store owner claims to test their chips but yeah i figured i may as well just get eight of them even though only 4 or 6 are needed depending on whether those two undocumented mystery slots are indeed needed for tag memory

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ooooh, apparently some boards would have two slots: one for TAG, one for writeback buffering. TAG is mandatory, writeback is optional but speeds things up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a) is it bad for hardware to attempt to undervolt it? or will it just stop working?

b) the rechargeable PA has a lead acid battery and after months of non use it was kinda hosed. due to the nature of it charging the whole time its plugged in, it’s inadvertently been charging for months now

initially the battery would hold gently caress all charge but now it’s better ..

what’s happening chemically to a discharged battery? coz i believe common knowledge is that most lead acid batteries will get ruined.. but is it possible that given long enough you can fix them? if it’s like an oxidation of the anode/cathode thing perhaps given long enough the oxide [or whatever] will eventually re-dissolve into the acid?

forgive me for my insulting understanding of lead acid batteries

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also air video HD is excellent ios tool for streaming and saving videos from home library to ipad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah all the plates start out as just pure lead. half of them get a sulfate/oxide/???? layer on them. if you discharge them too much the coating goes over to the plates that aren't supposed to get it.

battery reconditioners put Too Much Voltage (think like 16-18 v) in short pulses to basically blow the layer off the plates that aren't supposed to have it, and also cause the electrolyte to bubble and redissolve.

in extreme cases old beardos have resurrected completely dead lead-acid cells by hooking a charger up backwards but this is advanced wizardry and should not be attempted by mere mortals

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving love how it’s one of those ancient technologies but still has a decent place in today because it simple does some stuff better than anything modern

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
take a look at nickel iron batteries

these are still manufactured today and are the gold standard for Forever Batteries. their energy density is really low (so you need more than lead-acid or others) but they are loving unkillable, you can deep discharge them, let them sit for thirty years and just refill them with water and they come right back.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
you could do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l665eovBlEk

simble
May 11, 2004

they’re expensive but lifepo4 is definitely the current and medium term future for powering these kinds of portable applications. they basically maintain voltage throughout their discharge, they’re lighter, they last through many cycles, they can be discharged almost completely, and they are much less likely to blow up or hurt you.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

take a look at nickel iron batteries

these are still manufactured today and are the gold standard for Forever Batteries. their energy density is really low (so you need more than lead-acid or others) but they are loving unkillable, you can deep discharge them, let them sit for thirty years and just refill them with water and they come right back.

want to do this if/when getting a solar power setup

quote:

The Cost of a Nickel Iron Battery bank is around 50% more than high quality Lead Acid for the same useable energy storage. The weight is slightly less and the lifespan is 5-6 times longer at least.

When estimating the cost of Nickel Iron Batteries allow for around $1100 (NZ) per kWh of usable storage capacity. Your voltage should be calculated in 1.2V multiples and your charging system must be capable of providing up to 1.67 volts per cell.

i imagine they're way cheaper in not-NZ since they're probably expensive to import

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was reading about the LiFePo4 batteries and this picture was sick

love those thick bars going across all the cells

trying to do this project on batteries has open my mind to the interesting realm that is energy storage. its much cooler than I thought

holy poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

the interesting realm that is energy storage. its much cooler than I thought

I maintain some pretty serious battery strings for work and boy you have no idea.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
please enlighten us then (for real)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

please enlighten us then (for real)
No I do mean it is cool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I got a present from eschaton, an MVME120 CPU board, 050 system controller, and 320 disk controller to help with emulating them!

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1454532408674488324

it’s a full 68010 system, and with that rastergraf video card I can make my own 16-bit Unix workstation lmao

i need to figure out how to load software, presumably with a gotek since I don’t have a quad density 5.25 drive

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
you invented lets plays? what a legend

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've been gifted an old-ish server that has an intermittent fault but I think I've fiiiinaly worked out what is causing it as I've noticed a missing capacitor on the backplane.
Can any of you guys ID it? I can easily solder a new one on, but I'm lost at working out what to replace it with.
I tried looking up some online resources and I'm totally baffled now. I did try emailing Supermicro, but I think this kind of enquiry might be down the list just a wee bit.

It's one of these 244/sep/330/16 jobbies.

If anyone is interested, here it is in "gust spilled out, troubleshooting" mode. Not pictured, actual blood from razor sharp cooler fins.
It's about 7 years old. 2xXeon 2270s, 48GB RAM, couple of small enterprise SSDs. I like that it is in a workstation type case, but it still has a mad loud PSU (x2)
I'd like to have a NAS/Plex/nerd toy, but I fear that the electric cost might ruin me. It's 20p per KW/h here at the moment and about to rocket up. Still, it''ll be a fun project for a bit at least

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Adolf Glitter posted:

I've been gifted an old-ish server that has an intermittent fault but I think I've fiiiinaly worked out what is causing it as I've noticed a missing capacitor on the backplane.
Can any of you guys ID it? I can easily solder a new one on, but I'm lost at working out what to replace it with.
I tried looking up some online resources and I'm totally baffled now. I did try emailing Supermicro, but I think this kind of enquiry might be down the list just a wee bit.

It's one of these 244/sep/330/16 jobbies.

If anyone is interested, here it is in "gust spilled out, troubleshooting" mode. Not pictured, actual blood from razor sharp cooler fins.
It's about 7 years old. 2xXeon 2270s, 48GB RAM, couple of small enterprise SSDs. I like that it is in a workstation type case, but it still has a mad loud PSU (x2)
I'd like to have a NAS/Plex/nerd toy, but I fear that the electric cost might ruin me. It's 20p per KW/h here at the moment and about to rocket up. Still, it''ll be a fun project for a bit at least

That's a 16 volt 330 microfarad electrolytic aluminium polymer capacitor. You can replace it with any one that fits that is rated the same 330uf and 16v or higher.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2021

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

what does the underside of the board look like in that location? looks like the top that we're seeing is one big ground plane and the bottom probably has the +5v and +12v traces going to those caps

i would think the missing cap is just another 330uf 16v electrolytic but i'm curious if there's two in parallel or if they are used for separate power rails when they are that close together.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's probably this one:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electronic-components/16SEP330M-T/4204241

https://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/products/pt/os-con/models/16SEP330M

e: yeah, I'm 99% sure it's the same one

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 3, 2021

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

r u ready to WALK posted:

what does the underside of the board look like in that location? looks like the top that we're seeing is one big ground plane and the bottom probably has the +5v and +12v traces going to those caps

i would think the missing cap is just another 330uf 16v electrolytic but i'm curious if there's two in parallel or if they are used for separate power rails when they are that close together.

And the whole of the front

Here's the back

spankmeister posted:

That's a 16 volt 330 microfarad electrolytic aluminium polymer capacitor. You can replace it with any one that fits that is rated the same 330uf and 16v or higher.

spankmeister posted:

Haha, you guys are fast.

Thank you so much. I'll report back once something else fucks up

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 3, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Idk what kind of problems you're having, but that looks like the SATA backplane yes? I find it doubtful that a little missing capacitance on a voltage rail is going to cause a lot of issues. There seems to be plenty of capacitance there still. It would only really have an effect if the power supply is already marginal, and the drives are very sensitive to the slight increase in voltage ripple.

That being said, that capacitor is there for a reason so it's worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Idk what kind of problems you're having, but that looks like the SATA backplane yes? I find it doubtful that a little missing capacitance on a voltage rail is going to cause a lot of issues. There seems to be plenty of capacitance there still. It would only really have an effect if the power supply is already marginal, and the drives are very sensitive to the slight increase in voltage ripple.

That being said, that capacitor is there for a reason so it's worth a try.

It still seems to have another issue, but the backplane was also causing a specific one. It wasn't until I removed everything and stripped it back that drive related one was "solved" (atm at least) I see now that the missing cap was for port 4, and with the luxury of hindsight, that is the one I was using the most when I thought the boot issues were drive or controller related. With a bare drive into the motherboard it boots ok now. I could probably use the other ports ok, but I'm leaving it in bits just now anyway.
According to what I can glean from IPMI logs the other issue is possibly one of the CPUs, or possibly the socket. Not had time or inclination to check yet.
Since it's pretty old a replacement CPU will be dirt cheap, a motherboard won't be, but considering what I'll possibly use it for 1 CPU (with 10 cores) will be more than enough